The Last Homely Site on the Web

Global warming/not warming

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 45 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Global warming/not warming
Posted: Mon 08 Jun , 2009 2:18 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I'm not a global warming denier, but I am annoyed at the politics that swirl around this issue. And I will reiterate the question posed by the Wall Street Journal:

Our only question is, if the case for global warming is so open and shut, why the need for a report as disingenuous as Mr. Annan's?

Quote:
People who are fighting against climate change aren't just fighting to save the current species that live in the world, they're fighting to save the human race.
Good point, but:
Quote:
Other than that, it doesn't matter if climate change is natural or human caused.
Then what do we do if it's natural? That would seem to be a hopeless cause. (Sort of playing devil's advocate here.) So, in a way, it does matter. If we're causing the problem, then what do we do to fix it? If we're not causing the problem, then we're screwed no matter what.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 08 Jun , 2009 3:16 pm

Lots of natural disasters can be fought. Global warming is just on a larger scale than most.

When we first moved to our place 15 years ago, I looked up what climate zone we were in so I'd know when to plant my garden. We were climate zone 5. This year I checked to see if, perhaps, they'd shifted dates any. To my surprise, I'm now in climate zone 6! That's a whole month's difference in planting time.

Global warming has had a real and tangible impact on me, personally, whatever the cause. If it gets much warmer and wetter, I may have to start planting rice instead!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 08 Jun , 2009 7:20 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I guess that's kind of the point I was trying to make (poorly). If it's natural, then it seems like our focus needs to be on ways to cope with the effects. Dealing with the ways we contribute to global warming is important but a bit secondary. If, however, global warming is being caused (or greatly exacerbated) by human activity, then our focus does need to be on eliminating or reducing the causes.

To me, then, it's important to figure out which it is. And I would love to see that happen without politics and rhetoric on either side.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Mon 08 Jun , 2009 7:31 pm
bioalchemist

Honestly Lali, I think we need to be coming at it from both directions. My feeling is we can't stop what's begun. We can back off on our bad habits, but the system is already out of whack and we're in for some interesting times. In other words, ride your bike and don't buy waterfront property. :help:

It's a complicated problem in a complicated system. Reports presented for public consumption often fail to reflect that, which makes things even more confusing.

I read somewhere (and maybe if you;re lucky I'll dig up the link :P) that the Obama Administration has asked the EPA to come up with a Plan. The EPA staff scientists, aware of how complicated things are, have asked for a bolus of funding and time to coordinate all the science first. It looks like they might even get it. It'll be nice if they do, if the scientists can go all Manhattan Project on WTF is going on with our climate and what can/should be done. It'll be even nicer if the politicians listen.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 08 Jun , 2009 8:14 pm

Orbiting glitter to reflect excess sunlight into space......

;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 45 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: