board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Another right wing murder

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Another right wing murder
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 11:52 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 68_pf.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

a quote from the article

Quote:
The suspect, identified by law enforcement sources as James W. von Brunn, 88, of Annapolis, was said to be a longtime, "hard-core" supremacist whose Internet writings contain extensive, poisonous ravings against Jews and African Americans.
I have been to the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC twice. Both times were deeply moving, nearly spiritual experiences. It is one of those places, like the Hiroshima Peace Park in Japan, which touches you and causes you to reflect upon the more important things in life. This is a very sad development.

here is more on the killer and his right wing background

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... rofile.php" target="_blank" target="_blank

Quote:
James Von Brunn: A Profile
By Brian Beutler and Zachary Roth - June 10, 2009, 3:18PM
On December 7, 1981, a man named James W. Von Brunn pulled out a sawed-off shotgun at the Federal Reserve Board headquarters, claiming to have planted a bomb and threatening to take members of the Board hostage. That was 40 years to the day after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, though it's unclear whether that's a coincidence or not.

Years later, he'd describe the entire incident somewhat differently.

In 1981 Von Brunn attempted to place the treasonous Federal Reserve Board of Governors under legal, non-violent, citizens arrest. He was tried in a Washington, D.C. Superior Court; convicted by a Negro jury, Jew/Negro attorneys, and sentenced to prison for eleven years by a Jew judge. A Jew/Negro/White Court of Appeals denied his appeal.

At the time of his sentencing in March, 1983, he was 62 years old. He ultimately served six and a half years in prison, which seemingly did nothing to change his extreme views on race. Almost 20 years after he was released, police say, he stormed the secured entrance of the Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C., with a shotgun and opened fire, wounding one guard. He was ultimately shot himself.

Von Brunn, apparently a World War II vet, has a long history of white supremacist writing. His book, "Kill The Best Gentiles," embraces Adolf Hitler's view that Jews concocted World War I as part of a scheme to stab Germany in the back -- a myth the Nazis used to justify the Holocaust.

He also wrote an internet posting complaining that Obama's birth certificate and other documents have not been made public.

In 2003, he claimed to have conducted an investigation into the ethnic and religious background of Tommy Franks, the CENTCOM commander at the time, after some US troops were placed under British command in Iraq.

This March, he appears to have written the following email to a list serve complaining about the recent arrest of a Finnish man:

From: "James W. von Brunn" Subject: FW: Henrik Holappa arrested Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:15:08 -0400
Millions of low IQ non-whites are encouraged to illegally invade the USA . They are provided sanctuary, jobs, health-care schooling, by those intent upon destroying Western Civilization. Whereas, the subject of this email, Henrik Holappa, the Finn, who has committed no illegal acts, is arrested and incarcerated illegally by American agents in Marxist employ.

The Henrik Holappa atrocity is a metaphor for the ILLUMINATI conquest of America: The ILLUMINATI, has captured America illegally, and is incarcerating her NOW into a Global Zionist state.

Well informed patriots are ignoring the URGENCY, the extreme DANGER confronting them. There is sparse time remaining. You must ACT NOW. KILL THE ENEMY OR DIE IN THE GULAG !

He has written that his family is of German/Austrian extraction and settled in St. Louis in the mid-19th century. Here's the bio on his website:

In 1981 Von Brunn attempted to place the treasonous Federal Reserve Board of Governors under legal, non-violent, citizens arrest. He was tried in a Washington, D.C. Superior Court; convicted by a Negro jury, Jew/Negro attorneys, and sentenced to prison for eleven years by a Jew judge. A Jew/Negro/White Court of Appeals denied his appeal. He served 6.5 years in federal prison. (Read about von Brunn's "Federal Reserve Caper" HERE.) He is now an artist and author and lives on Maryland's Eastern Shore.
You can see one of his works of art here.
It is worth noting that one of his earlier targets - the Federal Reserve - is still one of the right wing's favorite wacko targets today.

Some people suspected there would be more right wing inspired violence after the Dr. Tiller murder. Now this has come on its heels. Very sad.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject: Re: Another right wing murder
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 1:13 pm
Insolent Pup

It could be a coincidence; unless this man is also anti-abortion. The guard died of his wounds. Mr. Von Brunn is not going to see the light of day again. Time to die in prison, Mr. Von Brunn; this time for a murder charge.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 1:28 pm

Here is a site that mirrors some of the Von Brunn postings on the internet. most have been pulled but here is one railing against Barack Obama and defending Sarah Palin.

http://irregulartimes.com/freerepublicj ... nbrunn.htm" target="_blank

I am hoping his other postings are made available so we can get some insight into the mind of such a person. It would be a great forensic tool to identify the politically insane.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 1:37 pm
Insolent Pup

I love the irony of Brunn's claim that the media couldn't find any dirt on Bush, so they made it up, as he also claims that since the media hasn't found any dirt on Obama, so they must not be looking. I never knew that Sarah Palin had a 91% approval rating.... in Narnia.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 1:45 pm

TED - I guess the 91% rating for Palin was taken at a meeting of the Alaskan Independence organization. The guy is a complete nutjob of the worst sort. He posted on the Ron Paul for President forum on Yahoo. I am confident in saying that almost all Ron Paul supporters would repudiate the actions of this man if they could. But it is said that marginal extreme movements will attract folks like Von Brunn.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:39 ... =firefox-a" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

I suspect by the end of the day we will have a whole raft of Von Brunn posts to examine.

Yahoo apparently has pulled the Von Brunn posts but you can still read many of them because they were quoted at length by another poster and they have not yet pulled those.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RonPaulfo ... s=0&cnt=10" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Von Brunn - although posting in the Ron Paul section - does not discuss Ron Paul. He uses the forum to rave and rant about Jews, African-American, Barack Obama and other convenient tragets. It looks like Von Brunn either wrote a book or is pushing a book called KILL THE BEST GENTILES which he advertises in each and every post. While his posts are repugnant and disgusting, they do give us a valuable look into the mind of a political extremist. I suspect they will provide valuable material for books on the subject.

**** UPDATE ****

The New York Times is reporting that there is an effort on the internet to make the writings of likker James Von Brunn vanish.
Quote:
Traces of Gunman’s Online Life Begin to Vanish
By Noam Cohen
Updated | 6:27 p.m. A Google search for “James W. von Brunn,” the name of the 88-year-old white supremacist suspected of opening fire at the National Holocaust Museum in Washington, killing a security guard, reveals that he was apparently an active user of the Web — although traces of his work online are already being erased by some of the sites he frequented.

This cached page at a Web site called AskArt.com, shows what appears to be an example of Mr. von Brunn’s painting. As Gawker points out, the painting seems to be a sort of remix of a painting by Jean-Honoré Fragonard called The Reader and Pablo Picasso’s Woman With a Book. The artist’s page at AskArt also includes the first lines of a biography, which begins this way: “The von Brunn/Wenneker families migrated from Germany/Austria c. 1845, settling in St. Louis, Missouri.”

There were also traces of what appeared to be Mr. von Brunn’s work as a Wikipedia editor, albeit a very, very occasional one. More than a year before the shootings, the editor James von Brunn made a simple change to the article about Cordell Hull, the secretary of state during the Roosevelt administration. Next to a listing of Mr. Hull’s wife, Rose Frances Witz, he added the words “Orthodox Jew.” (Those words were removed long before the shootings.)

Just last month, he added a biography of himself — that he was born in 1920, and, among other things, “attempted to place the Federal Reserve Board of Governors under legal, non-violent citizens arrest, 12-7-81.”

While evidence of his editing of the Hull article remains, his biography has been expunged — and not expunged in the typical Wikipedia fashion, meaning that it can be found in the archives. The material for all intents and purposes has been destroyed. (The Times downloaded a copy of the biography before it disappeared.)

Jay Walsh, a spokesman for the Wikimedia Foundation in San Francisco which operates the many Wikipedia sites, said: “The editors have identified that the statements on his user page constituted a violation of policy of hate speech and moved quickly to protect and remove the information. It looks like the discussion page is blank, too — this is a pretty deep level of removal.”

He added that he had seen the biographical information on other sites, as well.

The blog Talking Points Memo has collected some Web postings and articles attributed to James W. von Brunn that could be found online earlier today. In a second post on the same blog, Zachary Roth adds that, “It looks like James Von Brunn tried to use Wikipedia to promote the work of Willis Carto, the right-wing Holocaust denier and founder of the Liberty Lobby.”
To confirm this yourself, just go to the internet search features and put in the name of Von Brunn and see if you can find his writings. Earlier I linked to another poster on the Yahoo/Ron Paul for President discussion site who had used some of Von Brunns writings quoting them in other posts. But any stand alone posts for Von Brunn have been made to vanish.

*** UPDATE ****

Shepard Smith of Fox News has a good bit about theradical right wing email he gets each and everyday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxvunbIW ... r_embedded

these are dangerous times we are now in.

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 5:21 pm
Legendury speller

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
It could be a coincidence; unless this man is also anti-abortion. The guard died of his wounds. Mr. Von Brunn is not going to see the light of day again. Time to die in prison, Mr. Von Brunn; this time for a murder charge.
It sounds unrelated to the Dr. Tiller killing to me. If he is for some sort of racial genocide I don't know why he would be opposed to abortion. Though weirder things have happened.

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 5:26 pm
bioalchemist

REL, why are you assuming that genocidal maniacs are logical?

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 5:54 pm
Daydream Believer

There is no Environmental Protection Agency to measure hate pollution in national dialogue, and no mechanism in place to warn us when the poisonous rage spewed into the national consciousness by shock-jocks, poisonous television pundits, megachurch leaders, and oh-so-subtle politicians, has reached dangerously toxic levels.

No, there is only the result: widows, orphans, collective grief, and an absolute refusal on the part of our loudest, coarsest voices to take any responsibility for their part in the carnage. - Michael Rowe: Death a the Holocaust Museum and the Degradation of the American Dialouge

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 6:18 pm
Legendury speller

Ara-anna wrote:
There is no Environmental Protection Agency to measure hate pollution in national dialogue, and no mechanism in place to warn us when the poisonous rage spewed into the national consciousness by shock-jocks, poisonous television pundits, megachurch leaders, and oh-so-subtle politicians, has reached dangerously toxic levels.

No, there is only the result: widows, orphans, collective grief, and an absolute refusal on the part of our loudest, coarsest voices to take any responsibility for their part in the carnage. - Michael Rowe: Death a the Holocaust Museum and the Degradation of the American Dialouge
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” - John Adams

Pierce Brosnan

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 7:28 pm
Daydream Believer

But we have an abundance of religious retoric and absolutely no morals what so ever.

Case in point....Ms. California. Or ex- Ms. California who is against gay marriage because it's not what "God" wants and undermines straight marriage, but posing nude is fine and does nothing to undermine straight marriage. :roll: Last time I checked straight men would rather covet female breasts over the gay guys marriage, but then again I might be wrong.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 9:26 pm

If anyone listened to the opening hour of the Rush Limbaugh show today what you heard was Limbaugh saying that he and conservative media are not in any way responsible for acts like this nor do they contribute to any environment that gives these people comfort. Glen Beck said that last night also. I suspect that O'Reilly will echo that tonight as well. They go even further and blame the Left for things like this.

Don't let them get away with it. These things do not happen in a vacuum. Several experts have been interviewed today on various shows and networks and one point comes across clear as crystal: these are people marganilized by their own extremist views who feel threatened by the election of Barack Obama and feel like thier views are now powerless in the government and increasingly in all of society. Folks like Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage, O'Rielly and Beck only give these wackjobs aid and comfort and make them feel validated.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 10:14 pm
Insolent Pup

It's furiously dishonest for the Fox pundits to claim that their rhetoric has no influence on people, while these same assholes will claim that left wing rhetoric, video games, and the gay marriage are to blame for outrageous acts. The conservative pundits show exactly the kind of "men" they are for deflecting their influence: PUSSIES.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 12 Jun , 2009 1:04 pm

After much searching I was able to locate the original website of Holocaust Museum killer James von Brunn. It contains offensive material and views which should disgust most decent people. I do not think such writings and websites should be sanitized or erased from view. That would be wrong. We have a unique opportunity to look into the mind of a very dangerous extremist. We have the unique opportunity to examine his views on many subjects and gain valuable insights into this sort of political insanity. I truly believe that you do not ignore extremist views - you confront them, you expose them and you fight against them with every opportunity you can sieze. Extremists like James von Brunn are using the internet as a battlefield to foist their extremist idealogy upon the American public and they must be confronted and challenged at every opportunity. The largest possible spotlight should be shined upon their views exposing them to the world.

Here is a link provided by Wikipedia from their article on the Holocaust Museum murder. WARNING: it contains offensive material. This should not be swept under the rug. It is good that MEIN KAMPF is still in print today so that we can always study such vitriol and the sick mind that produces such material. It helps us to remember and never forget. And such is the case with the writings of James von Brunn.

http://web.archive.org/web/200712160911 ... mpire.org/

The Washington Post has an article containing interviews of neighbors and associates of von Brunn in the town he lived in.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... id=topnews

Many gun rights supporters are fond of the bumper sticker which says something like "You will not take my gun until you pry it from my cold dead hand." Von Brunn left behind a note in his car with his own version ...
“You want my weapons — this is how you’ll get them,”

Nobel Prize winner Paul krugman has a good column about the public broadcasting of hate in todays New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/12/opini ... odayspaper

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sat 13 Jun , 2009 12:00 am

Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and the rest at FOX News are doing their best/worst to downplay the Holocaust Museum murder

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/06/11/ore ... -shooting/

I wonder why?

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Sat 13 Jun , 2009 6:46 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

I don't blame Fox, preachers or any nonsense like that. People should take responsibilities for their own actions.

"But daddy used to beat me when I was young..." Pshaw...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 14 Jun , 2009 11:04 am

As I previously mentioned, those on the far Right are furiously dancing backwards to distance themselves from James von Brunn despite sharing many views and opinions with him. Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck have formed a tagteam of sorts to publicly defend each other.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ ... ugman.html

If you can get through all seven minutes it does provide some laughs. Both men make statements then later contradict themselves when they attempt to prove they did not do what they are accused of and have to explain why they first did it buts it not what you think it is. Confusing???? You betcha. And they single out the new favorite target of the Rightwing hate crowd - Nobel Prize winner Paul Krugman - as he dared to write a column airing their dirty laundry in the Times two days ago.

............... and here is how the entire issue is being viewed by some across the pond

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/ju ... racists-us

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Mon 15 Jun , 2009 7:04 pm
Legendury speller

So lets you are a vegatarian and you publiclly speak about the benefits of being a vegatarian and encourage other people not to eat meat. Then PETA members firebomb a meat packing plant. Are you morally responsible for the actions of PETA if you agree with them on some points?

How about if you are a muslim are you morally responsible for the DC sniper killings or the Army recruiters death just because you share some of the same beleifs as the people that commited this murders?

I don't agree with the logic that says that O'Rielly and other talk show hosts that have some of the same politiacal opinions as the murderer are now also morally responsible for the murder of this security guard.

They weren't encouraging people to beleive that Jews were infierior, the holocast didn't happen, or many other key issues that seemed to motivate the murderer. And they certainly weren't telling people to kill people to further their views on their talk shows were they?

I think you are reaching here.

Pierce Brosnan

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Mon 15 Jun , 2009 8:12 pm
bioalchemist

RELStuart wrote:
So lets you are a vegatarian and you publiclly speak about the benefits of being a vegatarian and encourage other people not to eat meat. Then PETA members firebomb a meat packing plant. Are you morally responsible for the actions of PETA if you agree with them on some points?

How about if you are a muslim are you morally responsible for the DC sniper killings or the Army recruiters death just because you share some of the same beleifs as the people that commited this murders?
It depends. I'm vegetarian and I think PETA's a bunch of extremists and I have no truck with them. So I would not consider myself responsible for anything PETA does. Especially since my avoidance of meat is rooted in personal taste - I just don't like it. The trappings around the meat industry make me like it even less and I'm proud not to contribute to that. Just like vison and MariaHobbit aren't contributing to it, or Lali and her family when they eat what Freddy kills. Even if I were the prosyletizing kind and went out and urged my friends not to eat meat, or just eat less meat, I still wouldn't consider myself responsible for the actions of PETA because I am not of the view that eating animals is evil and we must foam at the mouth and scream and threaten those that do it. However, if I were of the variety of vegetarian that passes out brochures featuring butchered animals and advocates aggressive action, then yes, I'd have a contribution towards the actions of the nutcases. They are, of course, the ones ultimately responsible, but the screaming of those who have the extreme viewpoints but not the belly to throw the bombs is part of what makes the nutcases feel like thier crazy ideas are validated and it's therefore okay for them to throw bombs, shoot people, and so on.

All of that aside, the rise in hate-related violence was more or less inevitable when Obama won the election. There is an element, a very small but unfortunately vocal one, that simply can't stomach people of color doing more than shining their shoes or mopping their floor. And now we have a man of mixed race with a foreign-sounding name as president. It would not have mattered which party Obama was running for. They'd still be out there hating and getting violent over it. Also, the economy is in shit shape right now and that doesn't help at all. When people are feeling wronged and disenfranchised, they look for scapegoats.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
ellienor
Posted: Mon 15 Jun , 2009 9:11 pm

I just wanted to add I arrived in DC on Friday afternoon and spend the weekend touring the sights with my 4 and 8 year olds. I found the Washington DC people shocked and sad. If you asked, they all were really upset (the bike cabs, with whom we took several rides, and other security guards we came into contact with at Air and Space, Natural History, etc.) Yet they were doing their jobs and welcoming us to the exhibits and museums.

I do think the election of Obama and the extreme ranting of the right wing and O'Reilly etc. have moved the needle somewhat on the nutcase front. These people are hearing a constant stream of how we're a socialist country now, that Obama bowed down to the Muslim king, that Obama's coming after your guns, that everyone's going to be taxed and their money given away to the shiftless and lazy. It contributes to an environment where right wing types think it's their worst-case scenario coming true and they become more unhinged.

Here's a good discussion. This element is THERE. I count, unfortunately, some of my own relatives among them. :(
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/14/opini ... ch.html?em

No, Lidless, Rush isn't to blame directly, but the fear and extremism on the far-right has reached a new level.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Mon 15 Jun , 2009 10:27 pm
Insolent Pup

Interestingly, when two nutjobs entered a school in 1999 to shoot their peers, and teachers, the conservative media did all they could to demonize the video game industry, Marilyn Manson, and violent movies for their "culpability" in these killings. Now the shoe is on the other foot, and the liberal media is incorrectly spreading the blame, and conservatives don't like it. Such is politics. The blame being foisted upon O'Reilly is the same kind of hyperbole that folks like O'Reilly foisted themselves. I'm sure someone will say, "but TED, blaming video games for something that happened 10 years ago isn't the same as today." The tactics are the same, the power balance has shifted. Nothing more, nothing less. If the government declares that Bill O'Reilly is to stand trial for his role in all of this, then be worried.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: