Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Libertarians to Democrats: Call off the thugs
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 4:34 am

Libertarians to Democrats: Call off the thugs
Quote:
Libertarians to Democrats: Call off the thugs

White House orders Dems to ‘punch back’ as union organizers attack citizens

WASHINGTON -- America’s third largest party Friday called on Democrats to end what appears to be a budding campaign of union violence targeted at citizens who differ with the White House at town hall meetings across the country. Libertarians oppose not only the White House’s plans for government-run medicine, but the use of violence to achieve political or social goals.

A Tampa Bay Tribune story and a video posted to the Drudge Report both report physical assaults on dissenting citizens by union organizers brought to meetings by Democrats. In Tampa, union organizers blocked citizens who differed with the White House from entering a public town hall with Rep. Kathy Castor (D-FL,) and allegedly scuffled with some of them. A video posted to YouTube appears to show union organizers physically attacking citizens who disagreed with the White House.

"The Libertarian Party is founded on one principle. We do not support the initiation of force to achieve political or social goals," said Donny Ferguson, Libertarian National Committee Communications Director. "Democrats seem to think differently. When the Obama administration ordered Democrats to ‘punch back twice as hard’ against citizens who question them, Democrats responded. This Chicago-trained White House has brought Chicago-style union violence to small towns across America."

"The White House told Democrat leaders Thursday to ‘punch back twice as hard’ when citizens express disapproval. That kind of irresponsible rhetoric is never proper when discussing popular dissent. The also made it clear they will bend Senate rules and force through government-run health care whether or not America supports it. That is a frightening departure from the traditional American practice of governing though popular will," said Ferguson.

"If bringing in union thugs is an attempt by Democrats to scare citizens into not questioning them, it won’t work. Union violence may be how communities are organized in Chicago, but the American people won’t stand for people who think violence is the proper response to the fact they no longer have majority support."

"Americans still believe in the consent of the governed. Libertarians urge Democrats to listen to the American people, call off their union enforcers and drop their wildly unpopular scheme of government-run medicine," said Ferguson.
It appears that the violence is starting and it is being started by union thugs against those in opposition to the White House.

What I find particularly disgusting is the way the some on the left are construing these town hall meetings, the ones apparently ending in protest against Obama's health care reform plans, as the product of an innate, latent racism.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Re: Libertarians to Democrats: Call off the thugs
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 12:01 pm

Here is a video clip which summarizes my reaction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaiSHcHM0PA

Cuba Gooding telling Tom Cruise to "show me the money". It is from JERRY MAGUIRE and is about the world of sports agents with their fast talking, promise-a-minute patter designed to pull the wool over the head of a client who is suppose to be wowed with puffed up verbage.

Show me the money.

Before the good name of President Barack Obama is slurred and tainted with irresponsible charges it would be nice to see solid, unmistakable evidence of his offenses. And I am NOT talking about taking a metaphor out of context and connecting that with events over which he has no control. Show me the money.

Before the good name of union members and the union movement itself is slurred and tainted with irresponsible charges it would be nice to solid, unmistakable evidence of their offenses. And I am NOT talking about FOX News video clips which do not show anything other than some folks yelling and falling down. Show me the money.

One could say the same for the good people of Chicago who are slurred in the Libertarian Party press release. Show me the money.

Where is the hard and unmistakable evidence that any of the terrible things in the LP press release happened as they say they did?

Show me the money.

Most people learned long ago, in childhood actually, that when you push it is likely that you will be pushed back. When you scream and yell at others, you should not be surprised if they yell back. If you attempt to deny others their right to attend a meeting and participate in a normal and orderly fashion then you should not be surprised when people get angry and upset over your behavior. If you play with fire you get burned.

The Libertarian Party claims that they are all about liberty and protecting the right of people. Why then have they joined forces with the Tea Baggers of the far right standing shoulder to shoulder with them in an attempt to disrupt, take over, scream, yell and obstruct at town hall meetings. Don't scream about your phony mantra of LIBERTY when your own actions attempt to deny the rights of others. It is hypocritical and disgusting.

It is worth noting that when the republican right wing joined with the libertarian right wing back in April to celebrate the act of tea bagging, their protests were not attacked, the people going to tea bag were not harassed, their signs were not destroyed, no hoses were turned upon them, no attack dogs were unleashed upon them, nobody got hassled, punched out or beaten up. They were left alone as they should have been. It is only when those same folks decided to invade town hall meetings for the purpose of stifling the rights of others that their was some spillover of animus. They initiated the negativity by attempting to spit upon the rights of other citizens for their own partisan gain.

You play with fire - you get burned.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 3:50 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

:yes:

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 6:37 pm
Legendury speller

Have you seen this SF? http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/ ... or-over-h/

Plenty of stupid in your party too. Sadly the political game playing here seems to be erasing opportunity for actual dialog here. I sure hope this politician is voted out of office this next time around. I'd feel that way if he were a Republican too.

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 7:03 pm

REL
I would hope that the idea is not to match examples of negativity with additional examples of negativity. It is obvious that feelings are becoming hotter as the right has escalated their tactics with the events of last week. What am I suppose to come away with after reading the information you provided us with?

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 7:07 pm
Legendury speller

Basically that both sides here are guilty. Neither side can stick their noses in the air saying they have the moral high ground. Shame really that this has became the battleground when really we should be dealing with the main issues about healthcare and what should be done with the ideas on the table.
sauronsfinger wrote:
REL
I would hope that the idea is not to match examples of negativity with additional examples of negativity. It is obvious that feelings are becoming hotter as the right has escalated their tactics with the events of last week. What am I suppose to come away with after reading the information you provided us with?

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 7:09 pm

I do not know what is meant by "both sides are guilty". Are you equating the comments of a congressman at a meeting with the efforts by large numbers of people to hijack many other meetings and denying the rights of other citizens?

What bothers me is not some isolated member of Congress that should have spoken a bit calmer and not so rashly at a meeting, but all of the good citizens who came to many other meetings around the land and were not able to get the information they desired nor participate in the meeting due to the rude and abusive behavior of obvious obstructionists who were there for that purpose. There is a remedy for the member of Congress. If a member of Congress screws up the people can always vote that person out of office. What are we suppose to do about the right wingers who have hijacked public meetings and have attempted to deny the rights of their fellow citizens?

If you dare confront them and tell them to shut the hell up, you risk a physical confrontation and end up getting sued or used as a national whipping boy just like CG and the libertarians are attempting to do as evidenced in the first post of this thread. They are getting what they wanted.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 8:26 pm
Aspiring to heresy

sauronsfinger wrote:
If you dare confront them and tell them to shut the hell up
:Q Seriously, you don't expect some sort of confrontation, physical or otherwise, after telling someone to "shut the hell up"?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 9:20 pm

Jude
if some loudmouth comes to a public meeting and attempts to disrupt it, take over, derail the purpose of the meeting and deny both the right of others and of my rights I feel perfectly justified and entitled to tell them to shut the hell up. I have done so my entire life and will not change now. Standing by meekly when others trample on your rights and the rights of others is not part of my make-up. People must stand up for their rights and not let an angry mob take over and deny them the right to meet with their elected Congressional representatives. Standing by meekly is how democracy and the rights to be properly represented will be lost. That is not a price I want to pay.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 9:30 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Sorry, I read too quickly - I thought you were talking about going to their meetings and telling them to shut the hell up :blackeye:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 9:31 pm

Thats okay. :cool:

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 11:57 pm

sauronsfinger wrote:
REL
I would hope that the idea is not to match examples of negativity with additional examples of negativity.
Of course not. For every negative example you provide of non-Democrats, REL should provide a positive example of Democrats. That way it's fair, isn't it?

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 11 Aug , 2009 12:19 am

Great job CG of avoiding every issue your post raised and people spoke to. I have no idea what you did say in your last post. But you have failed completely, totally and utterly to substantiate anything you alleged in your opening post in this thread.

Again, where is the evidence?????????

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 11 Aug , 2009 9:25 am
Insolent Pup

Representative Scott mistaken a doctor's questions on health care for the coordinated efforts of many to disrupt town hall meetings, and some think this is bad? I'd say it is just a sign of the tensions in the health care debate. Why does a doctor feel the need to ask questions about health at a meeting about roads? It isn't simply that both sides have meeting blood on their hands, there is a concerted effort by an opposition group to derail meetings about health care, and it isn't coming from the democrats.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 11 Aug , 2009 11:17 pm

You want to talk about thugs? The alliance between the Libertarian Party and the Republican Party has produced a new favorite target ...... he is a US Congressman who was mentioned in a post right here. His crime that made him the hate object of Libertarians and Republicans - he called a meeting for people to talk about roads.

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/08/11/scott-swastika/

It seems that the right wing loonies love Hitleresque imagery. Wait a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hitler brought the autobahn to Germany. Rep. Scott wants to talk about roads in his district. I see a conspiracy at work here.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 12 Aug , 2009 2:12 am
Insolent Pup

I remember the "Bush = Hitler" signs, and so many people got annoyed because it is an unfair comparison. Love seeing that those comparisons are back, and this time from the same side that called them unfair!

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 12 Aug , 2009 4:47 pm

It looks like the official Court Jester of the wingnuts is feeling the wrath of the public.

http://colorofchange.org:8086/beck/more ... lease.html

Geico Insurance becomes the latest in a growing line of advertisers who have informed FOX that they will no longer be advertising on the Glen Beck TV show.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 12 Aug , 2009 6:22 pm
Insolent Pup

Down with Beck.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 13 Aug , 2009 11:05 am

The Ed Schultz Show featured a frame by frame analysis of a high def copy of the supposed and alleged Gladney beating. It fails to support the story of Gladney and his attorney. In fact, it shows an injured minister on the ground- the Rev. Elston McGowen(who suffered a broken and dislocated shoulder) - and Gladney getting up from him. It also shows Gladney walking around without any problem after the incident unlike the staged photo ops of him in a wheelchair days later. This entire episode reeks of anti-labor hatred from the radical right wing and an attempt to cash in with a lawsuit to get some of those union dues that the anti-labor right are always complaining about.

http://edschultz.invisionzone.com/index ... pid=784864

Other information has surfaced about this phony attempt to shakedown and smear working people and their union.

http://washingtonindependent.com/54511/ ... ged-attack

It now looks like David Brian Brown, the attorney who said he represented Gladney and announced the intent to sue the union, was actually in the video with Gladney on the night of the incident. As a possible witness or participant, he is no longer the attorney for Gladney. And remember that big rally the next day in front of the union offices where the libertarians and rightwingers assembled to smear the union? Remember Gladney being wheeled out in a wheelchair so "medicated" that he could not even speak for himself? Poor Gladney informed the crowd that he had no insurance since he had lost his job and they asked for donations for him. Well, guess what folks? Kenneth Gladney has medical insurance! It seems his wife is employed and Kenneth Gladney is covered on her policy. So what happened to all those "donations" that were given for Gladney?

This whole thing resembles a stinking fish more with each passing day. Kenneth Gladney seems the new version of the Republican poster boy Joe The Plumber. And then we found out that he was not Joe, was not a plumber, did not earn anywhere near the income he bragged about, did not own his own business and was something of a first class dupe. Maybe that should be the GOP ticket in the next election....... Joe the Plumber and Kenneth Gladney. Their slogan could be Fiction is Stranger than Truth.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Thu 13 Aug , 2009 12:36 pm
You are hearing me talk

Plus, the "B" is carved backwards, like the "attacker" was looking in a mirror or something.

Oh; sorry, wrong incident.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 41 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Jump to: