George W. Bush

Post Reply   Page 5 of 6  [ 107 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Riverthalos
Post subject: Re: George W. Bush
Posted: Wed 28 Jan , 2009 9:14 pm
bioalchemist

:bawl: :help:

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Wed 28 Jan , 2009 9:42 pm
You are hearing me talk

Dave_LF wrote:
Dave, did you just compare people, such as myself, to Al Qaeda?
No. I think people who look around and decide they have no prospects are liable to turn to violence and religious extremism for lack of a better idea. I doubt this describes you. Al Qaeda, I believe, is an example of this happening in a huge way. I think you can find less extreme examples of the same psychology in the US, though that element hasn't done anything worse than bombing abortion clinics to date.

Last edited by Dave_LF on Wed 28 Jan , 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Wed 28 Jan , 2009 9:49 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

You wouldn't be in that category of people anyway Freddy. It doesn't look to me like your involvement with guns or religion is to an unhealthy extent.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Posted: Wed 28 Jan , 2009 10:17 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

jewelsong wrote:
On the other hand, maybe what this board needs right now is a ROUSING discussion about guns and religion!

:halo:
Holy frak, woman, but you're evil.

:damnfunny:

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Wed 28 Jan , 2009 11:26 pm

Dave_LF wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:
Dave, did you just compare people, such as myself, to Al Qaeda?
No. I think people who look around and decide they have no prospects are liable to turn to violence and religious extremism for lack of a better idea. I doubt this describes you. Al Qaeda, I believe, is an example of this happening in a huge way. I think you can find less extreme examples of the same psychology in the US, though that element hasn't done anything worse than bombing abortion clinics to date.
OK, agreed :D .

Nah, I may be over committed and sometimes think I should be committed but I'm not gonna go off the deep end......

freddy

Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 12:22 am
bioalchemist

A married man with children should never be afraid of commitment.

*rimshot*

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 1:21 am
Aspiring to heresy

Religions don't kill, people do. :P

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 1:50 am

:suspicious: :suspicious: :suspicious:

Dave_LF
Posted: Fri 07 Aug , 2009 5:08 pm
You are hearing me talk

Not to beat a dead horse, but here is more evidence that Bush really did think his wars were part of an apocalyptic mission from God:

http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.ph ... aught_29_5
Quote:
Incredibly, President George W. Bush told French President Jacques Chirac in early 2003 that Iraq must be invaded to thwart Gog and Magog, the Bible’s satanic agents of the Apocalypse.
Now out of office, Chirac recounts that the American leader appealed to their “common faith” (Christianity) and told him: “Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East…. The biblical prophecies are being fulfilled…. This confrontation is willed by God, who wants to use this conflict to erase his people’s enemies before a New Age begins.”

This bizarre episode occurred while the White House was assembling its “coalition of the willing” to unleash the Iraq invasion. Chirac says he was boggled by Bush’s call and “wondered how someone could be so superficial and fanatical in their beliefs.”
This was apparently in the French press in '07, but the English-speaking media missed it until now.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Fri 07 Aug , 2009 7:13 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I mean, he might have been referring to Gog and Magog as a metaphor...but his quote that the "Biblical prophecies are being fulfilled" is a little frightening.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Fri 07 Aug , 2009 7:15 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

*gulp*

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Fri 07 Aug , 2009 9:23 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Well the Irish are, according to Irish legend, the descendants of Magog, so are we up for the chop too?

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Fri 07 Aug , 2009 9:35 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Ssssshhhhhhh!

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Thu 20 Aug , 2009 7:55 pm

Bush may very well be considered the worst president ever, beating out even the likes of FDR, Wilson, and Nixon for that coveted title.

Some say that "worst president in US History" may be too grand a title for such an incurious, psychologically aberrant, ignorant, unintelligent, shallow, duplicitous, small-minded person, but looking at the other contendors for that title he does fit right in with those others I named.

Having finally finished his fourth year of his second term, I was finally able to rate his deficit spending. Yes, Bush Jr.'s second term was the most fiscally irresponsible of any presidential term in history with his Keynesian efforts to bail out the economy.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 20 Aug , 2009 10:59 pm

Absurd - foolish - ridiculous - no historical basis of any kind for a inane statement such as
Quote:
Bush may very well be considered the worst president ever, beating out even the likes of FDR, Wilson, and Nixon for that coveted title.
although this is a statement of complete idiocy, it is only the second worst thing CG has said today and pales next to the comment about guns and politicians.

If anyone wants to know what real historians and political scientists think about the ranking of US Presidents, go to this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_us_presidents

13 surveys done over the last seven decades, even one by libertarians and conservatives, and all agreeing that Franklin Delano Roosevelt is one of the three US Presidents deserving of the ranking of GREAT.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Thu 20 Aug , 2009 11:11 pm
Insolent Pup

If lewrockwell.com says it, it must be true, right?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 20 Aug , 2009 11:35 pm

Of course TED. Rockwell is better qualified then the previous 1,000 historians and political scientists in 13 different studies over many decades who studied the presidents and found FDR to be one of three GREAT Presidents. After all, Rockwell is a true believer and that counts for a whole lot more than education, knowledge, training, expertise or academic standing in the community of historians and political scientists. You see, he knows the secret handshake. And I hear tell that he once had coffee with the great Peter Schiff.... all bow low and humble yourselves at the mention of that name...... ooops ... sorry ... That Name.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Fri 21 Aug , 2009 2:09 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

FDR is generally on both the list of top presidents and the list of the worst. It pretty much depends on your political perspective. I happen to think he was great, but I'm quite a liberal-minded person.

I honestly don't see the point of ranking the best and worst presidents. Most presidents are a product of their circumstances to a large degree, and it's hard to tell whether they could have reasonably made different choices that had either much better or much worse effects. You can definitely lump presidents into broad categories of pretty good and pretty bad, though.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 21 Aug , 2009 2:17 am

Elfshadow - you are right that perspective is everything ... as it in in almost all things. Could you provide a link to a list which shows FDR to be among the worst? The wikipedia site shows 13 different authoritative studies of the presidency and FDR is rated very high on every single one of them including the one done by the Wall Street Journal that was commissioned by the conservative Federalist Society with libertarian assistance. I have never seen one study that rated FDR as anything but an outstanding president.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 21 Aug , 2009 3:13 am

What the heck is an authoritative moral opinion survey? I mean if it were a professinoal opinion survey there could be authoritative opinions but an authoritative moral opinion survey?

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 6  [ 107 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: