board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Ted Kennedy Dead at 77

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Ted Kennedy Dead at 77
Posted: Wed 26 Aug , 2009 11:03 am

Massachusetts Senator Edward M. Kennedy died late last night, he was 77 years of age. Kennedy was the last surviving brother from the famous family that gave America one president- John Kennedy and another senator - Robert Kennedy. All three ran for the office of President of the USA. It is ironic that health care reform was the issue that was closest to his heart but his own illness prevented him from participating in the debate.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/26/ ... index.html

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject: Re: Ted Kennedy Dead at 77
Posted: Wed 26 Aug , 2009 3:07 pm
Daydream Believer

Even though he had many problems, he will be missed. Hopefully Camelot is not completely gone with his death.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 26 Aug , 2009 9:22 pm

Massachusets can finally be represented by someone who is sober.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 1:26 am

the disgusting comment from CG
Quote:
you are one sick and bitter puppy CG. And when will Ron Pauls Texas district be represented by someone who knows the difference between the 18th and 21st centuries?

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 4:52 am
Just keep singin'!

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
That's a nasty and very short-sighted comment, C_G.

If Ted Kennedy did nothing else (and he did plenty) he was instrumental in getting the Americans with Disabilities Act passed - something which has a had profound and lasting effect on many of my friends and former students. Because of this law, they are living productive and more independent lives, rather than languishing in institutions and nursing homes.

Yes, Ted Kennedy was a flawed human being. Deeply flawed. As are we all. In spite of his many flaws, he did considerable good. Can we say the same about ourselves?

Besides, anyone who can get Jesse Helms and Orrin Hatch to sit down at the same table and co-sponsor a bill has my sincere admiration. He had a way of getting people with major differences to talk to each other and he will be missed - by both "sides."

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 5:11 am
bioalchemist

May he rest in peace.

Attachments
[ attachment ]
photo from http://madethegrade.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html
white-black-rose.jpg (7.85 KiB) Viewed 5511 times

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 2:39 pm

Here is a very good article which documents the amazing amount of good Senator Kennedy did in his five decades of public service in the US Senate

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... s_promise/

If other members of Congress had accomplished just one-quarter of what Senator Kennedy did, the nation would be a lot better off for it.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 2:41 pm
Best friends forever

I don't condone his drinking and other sins, but he was a good legislator and will be missed.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 2:55 pm

It looks like totally classless comments from the far right about the death of Senator Kennedy are not confined to message boards. Here is Rush as reported on ACB News
Quote:
"The Left is exploiting him – his death and his legacy – and they are going to do it, as predicted, to push health care through," conservative talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh told his listeners today.

"No matter where you watch television today – even if you turn on FOX – you are going to get the syrupy - everything they say is going to be predictable: let's put aside our differences for today and respect the great work and achievements of Sen. Kennedy," Limbaugh added. " I am going to vomit and puke all over everyone with this analysis today."
nice huh?

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 3:08 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

RIP, Senator Kennedy.

Other than proposing to name the bill after him, I haven't seen anyone say anything about health care. :scratch: The main concern seems to be how to fill the vacant seat.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 3:15 pm

Elfshadow - this article discusses health care and the Kennedy legacy.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/TedKenne ... id=8420408

this blog piece is well worth reading

http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/200 ... e-done-ted

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 3:28 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Well, I meant that I haven't seen anyone trying to push through health care because of his death--the focus from even the left has been on the empty seat. But you posted a good article, and Sen. Kennedy was very strong in the fight for health care reform. He'll definitely be missed.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 3:36 pm
Daydream Believer

someday all of us will die, even Rush.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 28 Aug , 2009 4:31 am
Insolent Pup

If Ted Kennedy's death gets health care reform passed, then add that to the list of great things the man has done. Thanks in advance, Ted.

By the way, a lot of greats were also drunks *cough*Hemingway*cough*. It's better than being a hypocrite.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Fri 28 Aug , 2009 6:40 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Was he on Medicare?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Fri 28 Aug , 2009 9:19 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Quote:

To use a quote from that remarkable man Lincoln

Find out what he drank and give it to the others.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 28 Aug , 2009 2:55 pm

Excellent point Tosh. Its unfortunate that all Senators are not as productive as Kennedy was. The largest daily newspaper in Massachusetts - The Boston Globe - has an editorial supporting the idea of a temporary replacement while the state awaits the formal election to replace Kennedy.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/edito ... pointment/

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sat 29 Aug , 2009 12:19 pm

I watched the Kennedy Memorial last night from start to finish and I cannot remember seeing such a wonderful tribute to a fallen leader in a long long time. The stories told were heart warming and gave us a new perspective on Ted Kennedy. I particularly enjoyed hearing from his fellow Senators of both parties who regaled us with behind the scenes tales that we had not previously heard.

The scene was the amazing JFK Library and Museum in Massachusetts. I have been there once back in 2004 and it is a magical place that holds many memories for me. Its always special to see on TV a view that you saw in person. I remember having lunch of clam chowder on the patio and looking at that same view across the bay at Boston that we saw last night.

Looking forward to todays funeral and the appearance of President Obama.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Sun 13 Sep , 2009 3:48 pm

If only Teddy had been more like his older brother John. John understood the basics about taxation policy.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Posted: Sun 13 Sep , 2009 5:00 pm
Just keep singin'!

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
If only Teddy had been more like his older brother John.
The fact that he wasn't (and never could be) was something that I think haunted him his entire life.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: