board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Unashamed werewolf/vampire/witch books reader

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 36 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Vampire/Werewolf/Witch books
I thought you had better taste than that!

0% [ 0 ]
I like them too, but I keep it a secret

17% [ 2 ]
I unashamedly like them as well :)

75% [ 9 ]
They could be good, but I'm just not interested in that type of genre

8% [ 1 ]
I don't read

0% [ 0 ]
who?

0% [ 0 ]
Total votes: 12
Pippin4242
Post subject: Re: Unashamed werewolf/vampire/witch books reader
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 3:09 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Tcheh. Bella is pure Mary Sue, sorry. All those so-called faults of hers are just so that she doesn't sounds too stuck-up - she doesn't have one actual negative trait, at least in Twilight. I could have accepted Jacob and Edward both being interested in her, but the way the boys queue up is plain retarded. The physical descriptions of Edward are way OTT. I know Meyerverse vampires are meant to draw attention and admiration, but I hardly think we're privy to Bella's every thought at other moments, so do we really have to hear about his marble flesh every other paragraph?
That said, Forks was pleasantly, surprisingly, atmospheric. It had a unique feel of place, I felt. Not that it was exciting or anything; it just felt so terribly real. I think it's because it was something like an American Aberystwyth.

Maria, I loved Enchantment! I have to say that I find OSC's politics abhorrent at best; that being said, are there any other books of his which you would recommend to me?

By far and away the best vampire book I've read recently - ever - is 'The Historian', by... er, I think it was Elizabeth Kostova. It was amazing. Everybody should go and read it right away. It's a brick and a half, but it's just awesomesauce concentrate. :D

-Pips-

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 3:48 pm

Most of OSC's stuff is straight sci-fi, Pips, but his "Alvin Maker" series has magic in it and is good. We just got done listening to that one on audio book, because my husband eyes bother him when he reads too much.

I love his Ender books as well but they have no place in this thread, really.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 5:10 pm

I think it's all the depth of that historical detail and scholarship which made me buy into Enchantment so much. It's the same with The Historian. It really is about historians. It was just fantastic. The kind of book where people point out on the Wikipedia page "oh her research is CRAP you could never have made an unmonitored phonecall in Hungary in 1962" and so on, because the other 499 pages are so incredibly accurate. :)

I'll have to ransack my dad's shelves when I go home at Easter. I bet he's got some more somewhere - especially since he's an unashamed fan of bad old-school sci-fi, so he's bound to have picked up more if he found an author who was actually good. :D

-Pips-

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Wed 11 Feb , 2009 11:46 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

So I finished the Twilight series a few months ago and I loved the first two, but by the fourth I was supremely annoyed with Bella. So much drama and whining and ug mushy lovely crap. I'm all for true love but adolescent true love is irritating.

Lately, due to several recommendations elsewhere particularly from a fellow team member I've been reading the "Dead after Dark" series by Charlaine Harris. Sookie Stackhouse is the main character and the books have become an HBO series called "True Blood" which I haven't watched but heard it's pretty good. The books aren't long and at some point much like the Hobbit I had become sucked in and I knew there was no turning back. Sookie is an attractive young waitress in the small Louisiana town of Bon Temps and she just so happens to have the "curse" of reading people's minds. Except, those of the undead who are considered a part of society with rights and all that good stuff. Wonky stuff happens and Sookie partners with an attractive vampire named Bill to solve mysteries and much much more! The best part is that there are like 10 books out so it'll take a while to catch up!

And since I have a book compulsion I bought "Bitten" by Kelly Armstrong but haven't started it yet :)

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Thu 12 Feb , 2009 1:09 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I haven't read anything by Charlaine Harris, but I love Kelly Armstrong. The only thing with her books is that they technically go in a sort of order, but it isn't advertised. I read them out of order the first time because of that, and somethings didn't make much sense. Bitten is the first one though, so it should be all good.

In that same vein, I'm also a big fan of Kim Harrison and C.E. Murphy.

Richelle Mead is good as well, but her books do involve a fair amount of sex - it doesn't seem gratuitous though, and the warning is in the title as the word Succubus is in all three. Her third book made me cry though, which these sort of trashy vamp/werewolf books don't usually do.

Amy Lane is one of my top favorites but her books have a lot of sex, and not the type that anyone under the age of 18 should be exposed to. Lane is the only author I've read, however, where, though the sex can be graphic and is anything but vanilla, you know she is writing about love and you feel it between the characters. She's self-published though, so you can only get her through Amazon, and you have to deal with some editing problems.

Rachel Caines weather warden books are great fun and her Morganville Vampire books even more so.

Patricia Briggs is one of my favorites for werewolfy type books. Good fun, and the main character is really likeable in a tough bitch sort of way.

I love Jim Butchers "Dresden Files." He's one of the only male writers in this genre, with a male main character, and it makes for a nice change. More action and excitement and less romance than the girls.

Karen Chance is also an easy and amusing read, but with enough interest that you can reread within a year and realize that you've forgotten a lot.

Elaine Cunningham writes slowly so only two books in her series so far, but it's one that I look for the new book every time I'm on amazon and I've reread the two I have three or four times.

Let's see...

I've also got Laura Anne Gilman in this genre, and I really like her two main characters. Lots of creatures in her world, so it's a bit different from the rest of the werewolf vampire stuff.

Kim Harrison, as I said. I like her redheaded witch main character, but methinks the author has been screwed over by men quite a bit in her life, and it's reflected in her books.

Tanya Huff is good, but I hate the covers on her books. Granted, now that there is/was a TV program based on her stuff, all the covers are TV outtakes instead, which I find more annoying. Still, she writes a good story.

Mercedes Lackey actually has some stuff in this category as well - Burning Water, Children of the Night and Jinx High. All written back in the day before this genre got so popular, and Lackey is always a great read.

C.E. Murphy has her "Walker Papers" trilogy (so far) and her "Negotiator" trilogy (so far). I thoroughly enjoy both, but, I've got to admit, I really like the cross-species romance in the Negotiator trilogy. Definitely girl zone, but not in a cheesy stupid way.

Jennifer Rardin has a badly written series of books, but despite the fact that they read like an unedited nanowrimo attempt, they are good fun. More of a check out from the library rather than buy, however.

Lilith Saintcrow has books as cheesy as her name, but they read like an action movie and are a great way to visualize hot men and kicking ass, lol.

Carrie Vaughn's Kitty books are short and sweet, very entertaining, and perfect if your brain isn't functioning at full capacity but you need something more engaging than TV.

Rachel Vincent tried to be different by writing about werecats as opposed to werewolves, but she didn't do her research and set up the "pride" exactly like a wolf pack. It pisses me off that she didn't study cat behaviour, however, her books are well written and entertaining, so I'll probably keep buying them :P

Even though she doesn't write vampire/werewolf type stuff, I am going to mention Anne Bishop here. I've read all the books she's published and her alternative fantasy worlds are incredibly well fleshed out, with lovely brooding men who manage not to be adolescent and annoying, and characters that generally make you like them. Her bad guys are totally bad, and her good guys aren't that good, but I actually care about her characters and her world when I'm reading her books. They've made me laugh out loud and cry and because of that, she's worth mentioning even though she doesn't fit in this genre. Besides, any book where characters named Daemon, Lucivar and Saetan are the good guys, women rule, murder is legal, and black is the best colour.... Nice gothic fantasy in the best possible way ;)

I don't know why I decided to discuss almost every author I own in this genre, but I have, so :P

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject: Re:
Posted: Fri 27 Feb , 2009 7:32 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Donernilwen wrote:
Edward or Jacob?
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]

That is all I shall say for now, because the first word in this thread's title makes it clear I don't belong.

Yet. :devil:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Wed 04 Mar , 2009 12:01 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

*E* I love your sig!

Great list Estel, that should keep me busy for a spell :P

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Thu 09 Apr , 2009 2:54 pm
Milk and kisses

I'm reading New Moon, finished Twilight a few days ago... OMG the angst. The angst!!!!1 :LMAO: The worst thing is knowing how HOOKED I would have been on these books if I'd discovered them as a teenager. :oops: As it is now, I am enjoying them for their sheer trashy entertainment value, but the prose irks me, and I keep finding plot holes (see below for a spoilerish one) and just... gah. Despairing over the fanfiction-quality writing and plotting. However, I am addicted and WANT to know more! :D Generally I like straightforward stories with a minimum of flowery prose, so in that regard I find Meyer's style acceptable, but at the lower end of the scale, I'd say. Quality-wise I'd say it hovers between The Da Vinci Code and the Harry Potter series. But I can't resist a pop phenomenon, I'm a sucker for zeitgeist. :oops: :D

SPOILERY PLOT HOLE DISCUSSION:

So, Edward finds Bella's blood so irresistible that a tiny paper cut wreaks havoc; er... how does he deal with her when she's having a period then? :roll:

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Mon 04 May , 2009 5:26 pm

I think she told her fans off for asking that, and said it was gross and that they weren't meant to be thinking about that sort of thing. :neutral: :roll:

-Pips-

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Sat 01 Aug , 2009 12:45 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I need some new authors - any suggestions?

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 03 Aug , 2009 1:56 pm

"City of Masks", Daniel Hecht. http://www.amazon.com/City-Masks-Cree-B ... 384&sr=8-2

Really well written, with enormous detail showing New Orleans culture pre flood. I felt as if I've been there, after reading this book. And the story itself was unforgettable. More twists than a pile of tangled yarn!

edit: changed "fell" to "felt" :blackeye:

Last edited by MariaHobbit on Mon 03 Aug , 2009 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Mon 03 Aug , 2009 4:34 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I was wondering if you've read Charlaine Harris but I see you say you haven't. I just started watching the HBO TV series True Blood and upon searching found out it is based on her books. It's a really good TV show so far (already through half the season in 24 hours :P) and it's made me curious about her books.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 9:11 pm

I've read the first in her Harper Connelly series, "Grave Sight", but didn't terribly like the style. I probably won't be continuing that series unless I get desperate.

I just read my first Patricia Briggs novel this weekend, "Moon Called". It was really well done. I'll definitely be looking for more of her work. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 6:16 pm
bioalchemist

Berhael wrote:
So, Edward finds Bella's blood so irresistible that a tiny paper cut wreaks havoc; er... how does he deal with her when she's having a period then? :roll:
:rofl: I never thought of that. :rofl:

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 7:55 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Sadly, one of the first Twilight joke pics I saw was of him suggesting to her use tampons for tea. More realistically, he'd probably just keep her perpetually knocked up, yes? =:)

[ img ]

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 28 Aug , 2009 1:35 pm

Ugghh. Menstrual fluid does not smell like blood.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 36 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: