The Last Homely Site on the Web

Abortion Doctor Gunned Down in Church

Post Reply   Page 6 of 6  [ 119 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
RELStuart
Post subject: Re: Abortion Doctor Gunned Down in Church
Posted: Tue 09 Jun , 2009 8:36 pm
Legendury speller

[quote=vision]It makes me inexpressibly sad that some people would see this murderer as an instrument of god's wrath.[/quote]

I agree.

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 09 Jun , 2009 9:35 pm
Insolent Pup

Does the creation of your own god extend to loving all of those that you love?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 09 Jun , 2009 11:21 pm
You are hearing me talk

Salon wins

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Posted: Wed 10 Jun , 2009 12:13 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

vison wrote:
It makes me inexpressibly sad that some people would see this murderer as an instrument of god's wrath.
This practising Christian finds it repulsive and scary.
RELStuart wrote:
I guess the one question this story begs is if it is every appropriate to pray for someone to die? And for those that do not pray would it ever be ok for you to wish someone would die?
I have to admit to asking God one day why he couldn't just take Robert Mugabe out ... :blackeye:

However, Mugabe is one loathsome tyrant among many. Good job I'm not God and running the universe, eh? Deciding who lives and who dies ... not my call. As Gandalf said, in so many words ...

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Wed 10 Jun , 2009 11:43 pm
Legendury speller

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
— Noam Chomsky

Pierce Brosnan

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Wed 10 Jun , 2009 11:59 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Yeah, but freedom of expression doesn't absolve anybody of responsibility once bad shit goes down.

-Pips-

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 1:59 am
Insolent Pup

I'm not sure it would be freedom of expression if people can be blamed for their words later. People may be weary of speaking their minds.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 3:28 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Freedom of expression is great and all, but so often people use it as an excuse for stupidity. That bothers me so much. Just because you can say something doesn't mean you should. Case in point: Rush Limbaugh. He has the right to say "Dr. Tiller the baby killer", okay, okay. Whatever. I'm so glad he's read the First Amendment. But he is a powerful man with tremendous influence, and he knows it. He was well aware that by repeating all this hatred against Dr. Tiller, somebody might take him literally. Is he (or are others who called for Dr. Tiller's murder) legally responsible for Dr. Tiller's death? No. Is he morally responsible? I think so, partially.

The French thinker Simone Weil wrote an essay on the idea of rights, I can't remember now what it's called. She argued that the better man thinks in terms of responsibilities rather than rights. I agree. If you focus on the rights that you believe others must guarantee you, you are bound to think selfishly. It is much better to focus on the responsibilities that you hold to others. Rush Limbaugh is very widespread and influential, and thus must hold a significant amount of responsibility for his words. The same goes for all people in a similar position. A powerful person should use his or her platform to exercise their responsibility, not their rights.

ETA: Weil's word was "obligation", not "responsibility", but I suppose it amounts to the same thing. The essay was in her book The Need For Roots.

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 5:42 pm
Legendury speller

Pippin4242 wrote:
Yeah, but freedom of expression doesn't absolve anybody of responsibility once bad shit goes down.

-Pips-
Thomas Jefferson said "The mind alone is free" IIRC. We don't have thought police in this country. You can speak your mind. Even if your mind is full of vapid stupidness you have a right to say what is on your mind. And everyone has a right to ignore you or not.

If someone obliquely influences* someone to do something wrong the person that did the action bears the responsibility because it is up to each individual person to consider information presented to them and decide what response they will have.

We had a man here in the states that got into Islam and through the influence of some radicals go out and killed a Army recruiter and wound another. I haven't heard one word from anyone about the moral responsibility of the teachers he learned his hate from. But there sure is a lot about people like Bill O'Reilly being told they need to take responsibility maybe for indirectly influencing the man that killed Tiller. Is Bill somehow more evil and an easier target? What's up with this?

*an unrelated third party that did not request the criminal action as opposed to someone that directly requested the criminal act be done or a co-conspiritor or assesory to a criminal action.

Pierce Brosnan

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Pro-life activist gunned down
Posted: Sat 12 Sep , 2009 6:18 pm

Police: Shooting suspect offended by anti-abortion material
Quote:
Authorities have charged an Owosso, Michigan, man with two counts of first-degree premeditated murder in the Friday shooting deaths of an anti-abortion activist and another man, a prosecutor's office said.

Authorities say the suspect, Harlan James Drake, was offended by anti-abortion material that the activist had displayed across from the school all week.

Drake, 33, is accused of shooting anti-abortion activist Jim Pouillon, 63, and Michael Fuoss, 61, who were killed in separate locations Friday morning, the prosecutor's office in Shiawassee County said.

Authorities also have charged Drake with a felony firearm count and carrying a dangerous weapon with unlawful intent, the prosecutor's office said.

Drake also is suspected of "attempting to locate a third victim without success," the office said.

He was arraigned Friday and is being held without bail, the office said. It was not immediately known whether he had an attorney.

Pouillon, whose anti-abortion activity was well-known in the area, was protesting across the street from Owosso High School about 7:20 a.m. Friday when he was killed by several shots fired from a passing vehicle, Owosso Police Chief Michael Compeau said.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Sun 13 Sep , 2009 12:32 am

I saw that. Terrible. :( Why you would ever KILL someone because they disagreed with your politics is beyond me.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 13 Sep , 2009 2:14 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

It is terrible. :(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Mon 14 Sep , 2009 12:33 pm
You are hearing me talk

There is not (yet) any evidence that he killed him over abortion or politics (at least not that has been made public). Drake shot two people that day, and the other one had no connection to anti-abortion groups or any other political involvement. He was planning to kill a third, also without any obvious political motivation.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 14 Sep , 2009 1:35 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Has anyone seen this story on the mainstream news? I'm asking because I haven't, but I don't watch the news very carefully. But, before I make the conclusion that this event was ignored (while the reverse scenario would have been plastered everywhere), I wanted to check to see if I just missed it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Mon 14 Sep , 2009 1:53 pm
You are hearing me talk

Well; CG's link goes to cnn.com. The AP covered it. Google News brings up stories in all sorts of newspapers. I think the story sort of fizzled out because rather than some sort of political reactionary, Drake looks like someone who just snapped and decided to kill everyone who rubbed him the wrong way.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Mon 14 Sep , 2009 9:29 pm

LalaithUrwen wrote:
Has anyone seen this story on the mainstream news? I'm asking because I haven't, but I don't watch the news very carefully. But, before I make the conclusion that this event was ignored (while the reverse scenario would have been plastered everywhere), I wanted to check to see if I just missed it.
I read it first on CNN.com, it was the front page breaking news story. It was also in my local newspaper, the Denver Post. I think I even saw an article about it on the BBC.

I don't think it's true at all that the reverse scenario would have been "plastered everywhere" while this was ignored. It wasn't ignored, and many abortion-rights activists have been murdered without it being plastered all over the news. Dr. Tiller's murder was covered heavily because he was a physician who actually performed late-term abortions and was famous for doing so.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 15 Sep , 2009 8:40 pm
Insolent Pup

The news has bigger things to report on, like Kanye West and the fact that he's the king of douche.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Wed 16 Sep , 2009 1:06 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

This is important shit, TED, come on now.

[ img ]

[ img ]

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Sat 19 Sep , 2009 12:31 am
You are hearing me talk

Yikes. Pouillon's own son had this to say about him:
Quote:
It will be impossible for some to believe, but my dad really didn't care about aborton.

He did this to stalk, harass, terrorize, scream at, threaten, frighten, and verbally abuse women. He had a pathologic hatred of women: his mom, my mom, everyone.

After my mom finally left him and he lost his favorite punching bag the violence and abuse that was always contained within our 4 walls was unleased on the people of Owosso.

My dad used the pro-life movement and 1st Amendments foundations to defend him, support him, and enable him. He fooled them all.

He was at the high shool because my niece was there, and female family members were always his favorite targets.

Again, my dad didn't care about abortion. He wanted to hurt people, upset people. He enjoyed making people suffer.

His goal was to be shot on a sidewalk. His goal was to make someone so angry, to make them feel so terrorized, to make them feel the only way they could make him stop was to kill him.

His pro-life stance was the most perfect crime I personally know of. He hid behind the 1st Amendment and was allowed to stalk, terrorise, harass, be obsene, ect. These things are crimes. Offending people isn't a crime, and having different political views isn't a crime, but he committed several crimes over the last 20 years and got away with it.

Yes I really am his oldest son. Owosso is now rid of a mad man.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 6 of 6  [ 119 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to: