board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Dollhouse

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 53 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: Dollhouse
Posted: Mon 21 Dec , 2009 8:54 pm

We've been watching this on DVD, and so far every episode in Season 1 (just finished #9 ""Spy in the House of Love") has made me cry. :rage: I can't watch more than one every two weeks or so. If it's half this traumatic for everyone else, I'm not surprised it got cancelled.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Tue 22 Dec , 2009 12:01 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

It got cancelled?

Damnit!!!

I watched it on my iPod and, like everyone else, wasn't that impressed at first. The show grew on me, however, and by the end, I loooooooooooooooooved it.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 24 Dec , 2009 8:27 pm
Takoyaki is love

Dollhouse is currently in it's second season but it did get cancelled. *will contiue post after I get off the phone*

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 24 Dec , 2009 9:23 pm
Takoyaki is love

*finally got off the phone with my Internet Service Provider after being transferred 6 times and put on hold for over an hour*
Dollhouse has been cancelled ,but they were warned very early in the second that they were basically cancelled. So everyone seems to think that the series will be wrapped up rather nicely. There are 3 episodes left to air, out of the 13 for season 2. The station I watch it on had aired 2 eps back to back for 3 weeks and Dollhouse is best when marathoned. The last half of season 2 so far is amazing!!!!! I definitely want the DVDs for the complete series.
I will say though that at the end of season one, episode 13 did not get aired. (it is on the DVD release). Episode 13 of season `is VERY VERY VERY VERY important and I HIGHLY recommend watching it before starting season 2 (either buy season 1 on DVD or download it). I have seen it and my sister hasn’t yet. Season 2 of Dollhouse is amazing, but it’s even more amazing knowing what happens in that 13th episode (called Epitaph one. The very last ep of Dollhouse the series is tentatively called Epitaph 2 . It’s that important).
I was not sure if people were still into the show so I stopped posting on it even though the last half of season 2 is amazing. TV tropes calls the last half of the season, one gigantic wham episode (still does not beat the ultimate nuclear bomb of a wham, episode Ep 22 of Code Geass, but, it’s close to Farscape-esque Wham I guess you could say, which is pretty good.)

In fact I am bit too scared to talk about it for fear of spoiling (there is that much whammage), BUT if people do want to discuss Dollhouse I would happily discuss it. I did not even know new people were watching it. (I will put all my spoilers in white since it would be horrible to spoil it).

Maria, considering the premise is about regular brainwashing, and knowing your response to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (which also involved brainwashing), this type of show I would not have thought you would watch.
Dollhouse is really a brilliant show, but it was too slow to get started with the main plot and it was on Friday nights. From what I read it seems it was given a second season, mainly to placate Joss Whedon fans after what happened with Firefly, and the DVR numbers were good. The second season, the ratings have not improved and frankly although Dollhouse is brilliant show with some mind bogglingly brilliant acting (keep an eye on the guy who plays Victor), I am not surprised. I don’t think some of the ideas for of Joss Whedon’s shows is not a good fit for Network television and probably should be on some subscription based cable station, where the show isn’t in constant fear of bad ratings and is actually allowed to grow. The ideas are deep and complex and deep and complex does not fit for a network of LCD grab for viewers.

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 24 Dec , 2009 9:34 pm
Takoyaki is love

Rather then editing I just thought I would post again. If anyone wants to post what ep they have seen up to and any comments I would appreciate it. Also note if you have seen that unaired ep so that way I know where everyone is at. For me I have seen up to season 2 ep 10 which is the lastest ep aired on TV. I have also seen the unaired 13th episode of season 1.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 28 Dec , 2009 2:31 pm

Wilma wrote:
Maria, considering the premise is about regular brainwashing, and knowing your response to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (which also involved brainwashing), this type of show I would not have thought you would watch.
Yeah, I'm only watching it because I love everything else I've seen of Joss Whedon's. It really is the embodiment of my worst nightmares: memory loss. I'll keep plugging away at it, though. I haven't watched any more yet, because my son is home for the holidays and has started "Buffy" and is loving it. He'll probably get through the whole series in a week, and then we can get back to other shows.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Mon 28 Dec , 2009 7:34 pm
of Vinyamar

I have Epitaph Part 1 and S2 Eps 1-10 ready to watch Wilma. Looking forward to it!

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Tue 29 Dec , 2009 7:45 am
Takoyaki is love

Oh!! I doubt anyone has looked at the anime thread, but there, I complained a lot about not understanding symbolism (Apparently the song "Dancing with myself" is about masturbation? :scratch: :scratch: Just learned that in a podcats discussing Glee) .

Would anyone be willing to discuss little bits of symbolism? I find Joss Whedon likes to use it from time to time, like with Tabula Rasa, which describes the Dolls empty state and was the title of an episode of Buffy. Also Caroline makes an interesting comment about a clean slate (which I missed, it was in the very first ep). Also the ep titled Briar Rose has me rethinking fairy tales.

Although I hate figuring out symbolism, as so much of it goes over my head, I do find it can increase my enjoyment of a program. (I actually like Revolutionary Girl Utena much more although I still do not totally get it).

For season 1 some stuff I am bit shaky on and may need reminidng of (season 1 is not avilable on the TV on demand station we have and the network that streams the show only has the last couple of eps), but I would be very excited for any comments. I guess a good start point would be to discuss Epitaph one when people have seen that ep.

I remember reading an interview with Joss Whedon where he voiced his di spleasure at the the ep not being aired, how important it was and that they wouldhave to construct season 2 carefully since the ep is so important. I remember thinking how is he going to basically going"imply" a whole part of the story? I guess I iwll have to see once the series is done.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Posted: Wed 30 Dec , 2009 4:34 am
Another bright red day

I'd definitely be up for symbolism discussion. I love those sorts of things and am sure I've missed most of it.

So far, I've seen all of season one (including the rather mind-blowing Epitaph One) and have seen 1-6 of season 2 (up to Summer Glau's first ep) but am heading to the library tomorrow to start catching up.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 30 Dec , 2009 3:13 pm

I don't generally get symbolism and metaphors either. When I watched the special features and commentaries on "Buffy" I was amazed at how often they claimed something was a metaphor. Eventually I got impatient with it. I'm just fine with the story as it is. Why does everything have to be a metaphor? It makes me feel stupid when I accept that what they show is what they mean, but then find out that they meant a whole 'nother level beyond that. :bang: It's like poetry. I don't generally see beyond the surface with that, either. And that's just fine with me.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Wed 30 Dec , 2009 4:47 pm
Takoyaki is love

I think I have a different attitude about that. For me, once I do find out about another level, it increases my enjoyment of the story. Like in the rant I linked to, on the surface the show I was watching was just some girly cartoon, but really it's a commentary on gender roles, feminism, and teen sexuality. Although I feel a bit sheepish for not realizing it, I think sometimes creators don't expect people to get it right away. Which is in part why commentaries can be helpful.

In fact sometimes they explain when there is not symbolism or metaphors. Like when Buffy was on, Joss had to explain that the cheese man in the dream ep (Restless I think) meant nothing, but the rest of the ep was full of symbolism and forshadowing. During one season the character of Willow kept wearing shirts with numbers. The costume person had to explain that is just a fashion trend and it meant absolutely nothing after they found out fans were trying to decipher the numbers. So I do think sometimes symbolism and stuff can go overboard to the point where people try to find something that isn't even there (especially when the creator says there is none and a fan still insists there is). But I still think it's useful just to look a little beyond the surface. Like with Buffy, high school is hell and it's about a teenage girl fighting her demons. They just do it literally. Some people got it and some people just wrote off the show since it's titled "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

With Dollhouse there is always talk of blank slates or a fresh start with a clean slate. Caroline comments that when a person actually cleans a real slate there is always stuff left on it. That totally points to how the dolls can't really be totally ereased, there is always some vestige of personality left behind, like with Victor and Sierra, Echo and most definitely Alpha. This denial of personality being left behind points to some fundamental problems with a Dollhouse. Like if the Dollhouse understood that they probabaly never would have recruited/created Alpha (although they always erased him, he still seemed to lilke to cut people's faces, and in fact they helped him get even better at it.) Also, I am sure this inability to totally erase would proabably get at some people's egos and highlight that what the dollhouse does is totally wrong. Tie that in with finding out what the real pupose of the dollhouse is, the series gets much more interesting. Briar Rose made me look up what the title meant, and find out that quite a few fairy tales have been heavily censored. Apparently Sleeping Beauty had rape in it and there was a second part that no one ever talks about!!! :Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 14 Jan , 2010 4:54 am
Takoyaki is love

I thought you guys would have posted about the new ep!! I haven't seen it yet as I am saving it as a reward for doing a certain amount of homework.

I have heard from my sister and a friend that it is excellent.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 04 Feb , 2013 4:55 pm

We started watching season 2 this year, and I'm totally OK with the premise now.

I think my previous heebie jeebies about memory loss were due to the fact that I was experiencing memory loss myself and my subconscious was desperately trying to tell me what was happening.

Now that I'm being treated for Lyme disease and the damage in my brain is unlikely to get any worse- it no longer freaks me out to see the characters get wiped. Yes, I've lost some tiny chunks of memory, but I'm still *me*. I seem to be doing OK. And apparently my subconsious is OK with the situation now, too.

It would be really handy if the subconscious could communicate more effectively. :bang: I'm actually really liking season 2 of Dollhouse, and I was very close to abandoning the series after the trauma of viewing season 1. Every episode would leave me sobbing at the end.

Subconscious baggage. :roll: Still, if I hadn't been made hypersensitive to the topic of memory loss, I might not have ever pursued the minor memory glitches and had an MRI done to find out there are tiny holes in my cerebrum.

It would be nice if they actually had that technology and people could back up their brains once in a while.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 53 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: