The Last Homely Site on the Web

Kansas City Public Library

Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 60 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Jude
Post subject: Kansas City Public Library
Posted: Fri 08 Jan , 2010 4:18 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Do a google image search on "Kansas City Public Library".

(I'd embed a picture, but I don't want to deprive you of the pleasure of discovering it yourselves).

Well done, Kansas City! :cheers: Best library building ever!!!

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: Kansas City Public Library
Posted: Fri 08 Jan , 2010 4:48 pm

That's really great!

Our city built this a few years back. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/83/23739 ... ca22e3.jpg

The building isn't so bad after you get over the inefficient layout.... but the "sculpture" outside is downright embarrassing and when I go inside I have to keep my eyes OFF the carpet. Something about the design woven into makes me dizzy and disoriented.

Otherwise it's a great building. :P And well worth the several years we had to go to a converted warehouse to get our books while they were rebuilding it. :roll:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 08 Jan , 2010 5:28 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

That's pretty cool!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Fri 08 Jan , 2010 5:39 pm
The best things in life are not things

Having been a Chartered Librarian in life-before-children, I thoroughly approve of the building design - outside at least! The inside looks nice and modern and spacious, if somewhat gaudy...but that's what people seem to want these days. Myself, I long for oak-panelling and high, ornate plaster ceilings, and floor-to-ceiling shelves full of leather-bound volumes... ;)

Last edited by nienna on Fri 08 Jan , 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Fri 08 Jan , 2010 5:56 pm
Best friends forever

Keen!!!

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Fri 08 Jan , 2010 6:09 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Love the outside!

Profile Quote
Rodia
Posted: Fri 08 Jan , 2010 8:27 pm

That's nice!

Here's something similar: the inside of the library in Camarillo.

[ img ]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cefeida/3599634596/ check out the link for more photos, it's got a pirate ship in the children's section and everything.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Fri 08 Jan , 2010 8:41 pm

Now that is coool....I like quirky....but not with that carpet :doh1:

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Fri 08 Jan , 2010 8:48 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Total geekgasm at the LOTR spine.

Lovely design! Could have come across as the building equivalent of a race car-shaped bed, but instead grabs your attention in a good way.

I was just reading this the other day: 20 of the World's Most Beautiful Libraries. The Wiblingen Monastary is like top-to-bottom decor, and the ceiling of Strahov Monastery is stunning, but my inner Beauty and the Beast fanatic is all :shock: :w00t: :yummy: at the Biblioteca Geral University of Coimbra.

Mmmmm... pretty architecture... aughaughaugh

[ img ]

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Fri 08 Jan , 2010 9:23 pm

Thank you, *E*...I think I've died and gone to Heaven. :love: Those are my sort of libraries! Would also add the Morgan Library in Manhattan to that list:

[ img ]

Too hard to choose a favourite, but I was glad to see the British Library and Library of Congress included, as they have always been favourites of mine. I've even been up on that gallery in the dome at the British Library, and walked round behind the scenes through one of the "hidden" doors up there...

loved this quote:
Quote:
a huge beautiful library is a place of endless pleasure.

And how about this, contender for the world's most beautiful bookstore...I'd love to work in a place like this:

[ img ]

Opened in 1906, Livraria Lello is one of the most beautiful bookstores in Porto and the world. It is the flagship store for one of the most important Portuguese publishing houses. Located near Praça dos Leões, it is an old bookshop, with an amazing interior - stained glass, carved wood, an amazing stairway, pressed copper, glass-enclosed bookshelves arched at the top, and Art Deco facade and interior on two levels.

http://www.slideshare.net/Helga/livraria-lello

Last edited by nienna on Fri 08 Jan , 2010 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Fri 08 Jan , 2010 9:47 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

*clutches heart*

Yeah, I need to rest between viewings. I'm easily impressed AND love to look at sites about fashion & design. :P

So much pretty!!

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sat 09 Jan , 2010 1:11 am
Daydream Believer

Who gets to pick the books for the outside?

*E*
I like the Prauge one best :love:

Here's my local library slide show, it's won awards. We get calls about how much money the City spent on it..... :shrug: http://www.infoway.org/LibraryTour/index.html

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Sat 09 Jan , 2010 8:10 am

I'm not surprised...it looks like they spent a pretty penny or two on it!! It's fabulous in terms of modern design, function and use of space and boy is it massive! I just have an aversion to clean lines and zingy colours ;) For some reason I find it all very impersonal...maybe the modern materials don't have a soul like natural ones seem to! :shrug: There were areas of the Farmington Library that reminded me of a school - especially the tables and chairs!

It's not that I want to live in the past...I do appreciate that it's necessary for this modern approach. Libraries today are not just libraries...they have had to evolve to fulfil so many other roles as well. So of course we have the communications technology, and the coffee shop, and the kiddies corner, and the conference rooms and lecture theatres....

~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sat 09 Jan , 2010 3:30 pm
Daydream Believer

The design is based on Anasazi Kivas with a modern flair. The windows are set to the winter/summer solistices. However they don't do sacrifices. http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/ahc/who_ ... asazi.html The window etchings are based on local petroglyph drawings

of course our library won't last as long as the Anasazi stuff because it's made of wood not stone.

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Sat 09 Jan , 2010 3:39 pm

That's really neat. :) I like that the background ideas behind the design give the building a special "personality."

~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sat 09 Jan , 2010 4:49 pm

OH MY GAWD Nienna!!!!! :Q :Q That bookstore in Portugal is what heaven must look like. That is truly amazing. Portugal is on the list of places I want to visit and now it moves even higher.

the best library I have ever been in was the J.P. Morgan library in Manhattan. That was simply beyond belief. When I was there the movie AMADEUS was out so they dusted off the original manuscripts of Mozart and had a few of them on display so you could see how he wrote the music. When the movie ran its course, the originals were consigned back to the vaults. I think that is what vast wealth is for.

Okay - I just saw the post from EVENSTAR with her link of the most beautiful libraries in the world. Simply beyond belief. It makes me happy just to know there is such beauty in the world.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Sat 09 Jan , 2010 6:42 pm

SF wrote:
Quote:
OH MY GAWD Nienna!!!!!
:suspicious: Have you been dipping into that Cockney-English dictionary again, SF?

The JP Morgan Library...that's the one I posted an image of, right? It looks amazing, and not just that room...the whole building interior looks like it could fit right in with those European monastery libraries...
[ img ]

Glad you were impressed with the Livraria Lello...never mind the Portuguese beaches, this is far more my kinda tourist destination :)

~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Posted: Sat 09 Jan , 2010 10:14 pm

Some other unusual buildings:

http://www.unp.co.in/f44/15-strange-buildings-49722/

BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sun 10 Jan , 2010 12:20 am
Daydream Believer

Brian

If we are going to put up other buildings where's the Sagrada família cathedral in spain? ;)
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/spai ... da-familia

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 11 Jan , 2010 7:13 pm

Ara,
Your library and ours could have been designed by the same person.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 60 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Jump to: