board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Computer woes/help/rant etc Enter here

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 38 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject: Re: Computer woes/help/rant etc Enter here
Posted: Mon 22 Feb , 2010 5:19 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Cheers, Brian! I keep forgetting to call Dell, :doh1: but hope that with another Monday comes another energy burst heh.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Fri 26 Feb , 2010 9:11 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Okay here's a new one: the antivirus just won't finish downloading because my computer is apparently scanning it for viruses. :suspicious: Ah, circular logic.

Or is it? :oops: I understand scanning programs, but not the computer scanning something itself, if that is what's going on.

EDIT: okay, I went back to AVG and clicked on the download for the free version. Prompt shows up saying it's a binary file. That is what ends up on my computer, and what won't upload because it's an .exe file. When I go into its properties and change it to be compatible with Windows 2000, that's when a new file that shows up shortcuts to MS DOS. The big black window shows up for a second, then disappears.

We're now paying for months of little snow, with an ice storm, which I think is affecting the internet connectivity or some bull. Just wanted to add this if only for my own information, now that some of these actions are actually familiar to me. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Posted: Sun 28 Feb , 2010 6:38 pm

It very common for a black window to run command line utilities to pop up during install programs and other scripts, so that by itself is not unusual.

I'm in a bit of a rush now, but if I get a chance I'll think about the rest, though I may not be able to offer any help.

BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Mon 01 Mar , 2010 5:15 am

The hard drive on my old Compaq Presario 5070 is mechanically failing.

Aargh.

It's proving a real pain the arse to try to fix. I can easily deal with data problems but this...

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 01 Mar , 2010 11:24 am
Aspiring to heresy

Back it up every day, in preparation for the inevitable HDA*.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Tue 02 Mar , 2010 7:08 am

I think Dell fixed the computer, I don't know what they did even though I was watching, but I gots my antivirus so what the fark ever.

Pretend I was never here.

Never here.

Never here...

[ img ]

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 02 Mar , 2010 2:43 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:LMAO: Love that graphic...as usual!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Tue 02 Mar , 2010 5:07 pm

So I found a very cheap hard drive of the same model. I'm considering something challenging:

Taking the disk out of one case and putting it in the other.

Meanwhile I finally successfully installed Windows 98 on a spare hard drive, but the full set of compaq drivers aren't included in this and so I cannot get the screen resolution up to 256 from 16. Did you know plain old Windows 98 doesn't even include solitaire and winmine?

Does anyone know if those are standard with Windows 98 SE?

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 02 Mar , 2010 5:16 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Windows 98? Why on earth???

Yes, I had the standard Windows 98 back in the day, and it came with Solitaire, Minesweeper, Hearts, and FreeCell. If I still remember correctly.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Tue 02 Mar , 2010 5:25 pm

Because the computer in question (which I use for my son's educational software) still worked up until a few days ago and is 12 years old and was not top of the line even then. Although I've done upgrades it still can only go as far as 98.

The 98 that it came with had the games and the full color (256). The 98 I just installed didn't (16). It also lacks the standard games. I'm rather curious about that. Maybe it's a difference between 98 and 98SE, or due to the stripped down version of the installation disk I have. Probably the latter.

ETA: It's not 98 FE v 98 SE, it's my stripped down 98 installation.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Wed 03 Mar , 2010 7:24 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Anuyboduy know whuy muy keuyboartd i]s doi]ng rthi]s? I]rt's nort a lap[rtop[ and rtheres northi]ng srtuyck i]n i]rt.

*~i]p[s~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Thu 04 Mar , 2010 6:07 am

Swap keyboards. If the problem goes away, clean your keyboard. If it doesn't, then you've got real problems.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Thu 04 Mar , 2010 10:28 am

Don't have a spare... (on the university computers right now). Guess I'm going to have to buy another keyboard, which is hard cheese, because I love the one I have at the moment. Hopefully I can at least find a second-hand one, or I'm going to be in huge trouble because I have no money. T_T

It never rains but it pours - at least we have water in my flat again. :Wooper:

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Thu 04 Mar , 2010 6:47 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Try cleaning out your keyboard with a can of compressed air.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Wed 07 Apr , 2010 9:37 am

I have a pretty urgent computer weirdness problem. I have to rewatch the forty-episode 'The Rose of Versailles' before I can write about it properly in my dissertation, but it's so slow-moving, and so LONG. I was going to watch it on 2.5x or something, but I can't get it to speed up! It's a .avi streaming from a data DVD, but after I tried ripping it, the option to change the speed was still greyed out.

WHAT WHAT WHAT :x

This is my girlfriend's computer, and I don't think she'd object to me trying another player. VirtualDub didn't work (strange - I really thought it had an option for that) and her Media Player Classic seems to be broken. It's WMP that I've been trying with so far.

HALP :help:

*~Pips@*

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Mon 15 Nov , 2010 7:13 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I haz Linux :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
New comp for the first time since the BBC B! (1980's) Ever since then I bought second hand. A week ago the last clunker lost all the hard drive data. I may try and recover it when I have time but it was the last straw. I had a copied version of Win XP on it and it was a pain, always needing nurturing in some way or another and nor could I download Japanese language support or input. Win 7 standard version doesn't offer language support!!!!!!!! You have to fork out ANOTHER EXTRA £80 to get that.
Stuff 'em.
So my new comp doesn't have Windows - saving £80 off the price and has FREE Linux Ubuntu installed. Japanese? A matter of moments. A vast library of open source software to get free including alternatives to Office and Photoshop. It's fast and friendly. If I have problems I'll mention them but so far there's no way I'll go back to Microsoft.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 15 Nov , 2010 7:21 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I have been pleased with Open Office, and GIMP is not a bad substitute for Photoshop. (It is not as good, though, but close enough for government work.)

Congrats!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Mon 15 Nov , 2010 8:06 pm
The best things in life are not things

We use GIMP 2 with Vista... :whistle:

Glad you're happy with your purchase, Tosh! :thumbsup

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 38 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: