board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

An Anime Chat Thread (yes, and manga you sillies)

Post Reply   Page 23 of 24  [ 477 posts ]
Jump to page « 120 21 22 23 24 »
Pippin4242
Post subject: Re: An Anime Chat Thread (yes, and manga you sillies)
Posted: Fri 19 Mar , 2010 5:47 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

I see what you mean, but I guess I shouldn't let it get me down too much, because I meant to do that. ;) I hate wallpapers that are too crowded on the left, because I usually have a fair number of icons there, and it all gets so crowded...

I just hope those unhelpful snobs over at animepapers get it. :(

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Fri 19 Mar , 2010 5:49 pm

Everyone has their own style when it comes to desktops. ;) But it looks good, so they should like it. :suspicious:

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Wed 07 Apr , 2010 1:03 pm
Takoyaki is love

I have volunteered myself to model for the kimono fashion show at anime north. What am I thinking?

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Wed 07 Apr , 2010 10:51 pm
Milk and kisses

Modelling kimono is awesome. Way to go! :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 08 Apr , 2010 10:24 pm
Takoyaki is love

ZOMG, I did some reading on kimonos and all the pieces a person needs to dress properly. I did not know it was so complicated!! I have 2 kimonos I bought about 2 years ago. I knew I needed obi, but I did not know about all the other pieces. (There is like 10 pieces, and then shoes, and then hair accessories, all of which have different names. :Q )

I am going to see what the Kimono programming lady can do to help me out, and then I got to mine the .99 bin at some ebay sellers.

Since I have been reading up, I have learned the different designs on a kimono are appropriate to wear for different seasons. Even the hair ornaments are suitable for different seasons. :Q I now understand why the Japanese adopted western clothing.

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sun 06 Jun , 2010 3:17 am
Takoyaki is love

OK, I did Anime North and the Kimono fashion show. I will write a little report on AN later, but after dressing in a kimono, I found I really enjoyed it. I have some pictures and stuff, but right now I will just post a video of the fashion show. A friend recorded it for me. I will have pics up later. Also about the complexity of Kimono's. I now don't think it's quite as complex, it just hasn't been practiced by a lot of people anymore. I know, I will definitely be in the fashion show next year.

Enjoy: Kimono segment of the Mega Fashion show. Co-ordinater Christine .S (That lady is amazing, she is the one in the African fabric Kimono)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Posted: Tue 24 Aug , 2010 9:48 pm

News has come out that Satoshi Kon, director of Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, and Paranoia Agent and more, has died.

A lot of the folks on here may not have heard of him, but he was one of the most interesting and imaginative directors of the 21st century, whether in anime or not.

The news first came out on Twitter, which led to the following blog post, calling it a rumor, but it was later confirmed:

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/08/24/r ... 1963-2010/

I have not seen it on any major English-language news sites, but Kon had not achieved widespread recognition outside Japan except in anime circles, which is unfortunate.

BrianIs :) AtYou

Last edited by BrianIsSmilingAtYou on Tue 24 Aug , 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Tue 24 Aug , 2010 10:51 pm

I heard the news and went to get myself an ice cream cone for comfort. The man was a genius, and he died much too young. 46! It's unbelievable.

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Posted: Sat 28 Aug , 2010 4:58 am

What movies/works of his have you seen?

The first of his films that I saw was Millennium Actress, and it was a stunning film.

The following is the trailer for Millennium Actress, which really does not do the movie justice, since the integration of the art, music and storyline is so intricately planned and executed that no set of excerpts can really do it justice.

Music was an important part in the film, in addition to the art, and the following is an example of one of the beautiful themes from the film:

--------

Here's a story/awkward moment with my Dad, watching "Tokyo Godfathers":

In the early part of the movie, there is a scene where they jump off the train and the transvestite starts singing.

My father says, "Boy, that woman has a really deep voice!"

I stutter out...uhh...uhh...were you paying attention, Dad...that's not a woman...and I then had to explain all the very obvious references earlier in the movie (e.g. the virgin birth reference at the soup kitchen, and the soup kitchen worker's later reaction when she sees him with the baby, the constant reference of the other two homeless to the transvestite's identity etc).

The scene with the transvestite's singing is right near the beginning of the following:

Last edited by BrianIsSmilingAtYou on Sat 28 Aug , 2010 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Sat 28 Aug , 2010 5:03 am

I've only had the chance to see Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika, but I'm always on the look-out for the others because I loved those two so much...

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Posted: Sat 28 Aug , 2010 5:26 am

Dawnnamira wrote:
I've only had the chance to see Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika, but I'm always on the look-out for the others because I loved those two so much...
You must, must, must, must see Millennium Actress.

One of the most beautiful films I have seen in any medium. It is only available subbed.

Seeing "Perfect Blue" depends on whether you like horror or not--it is quite graphic, animated or no. Also the animation is much cruder (especially the opening scenes--it gets better), as this was done on a limited budget.

Aronofsky copied some scenes from "Perfect Blue" for "Requiem for a Dream", and even bought the rights to "Perfect Blue" to keep from getting sued.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requiem_for_a_Dream

"Inception", out in theaters, has been recognized as taking many of its ideas from "Paprika".

Someone on Rottentomatoes claims that Christopher Nolan borrowed a lot of his ideas from Kon as well.

His influence, especially in terms of thematic and cinematic styles, was widely recognized by those in the industry.

PS

http://makikoitoh.com/journal/satoshi-kons-last-words

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Mon 30 May , 2011 6:32 am
Takoyaki is love

I have returned from Anime North 2011. I will be writing a report some time later. I am sorry for not posting in this thread earlier. The month of May was very hectic for me and I didn't have much time to visit message boards.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Mon 30 May , 2011 7:24 pm
Takoyaki is love

I posted a video on my Facebook. I am working on a photo album but I have to crop it. I am still tired and I lost my voice. (I have been reduced to squeaking.)

Over all it was really fun and the panels I did, went well. Next year, I will spread my schedule out a little more, and I won't sell at the flea market.

last week I found out that one of the first panels I did at my first Anime North was posted on youtube.

link 1
link 2
link 3
link 4

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2011 3:47 am
Takoyaki is love

I am a bit tired, I had hoped to start a report.

Here is a link to the album I have. Many people have better pics and photoshop but this all I have for now (still cropping).

Password is momiji

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sat 04 Jun , 2011 2:04 am
Takoyaki is love

Alright I thought I would start out with my report.
Thursday
My roommates and I arrived on Thursday night and got settled in for the hotel. The hotel told us about a deal where if we checked out before 9 am on Sunday we would get a free breakfast buffet. I said I didn’t believe it would happen since I have been to too many cons.
I found out one of my friends “R” had her room two doors away from mine, so it made it really easy to hangout out. Woot!! My roommates and some friends had dinner. Swiss Chalet was really good and I won free perogies . Woot!! I had recruited friend “R” to be a makeup artist for the Kimono fashion show and we had to meet up with the co-ordinator for a certain time, for additional makeup tests. Unfortunately it was at the same time that Thursday night registration was. So the panel director let us do early registration since we would have to miss registration due to our volunteer obligations. (Thank you Fingers and the registration people!!!).
Thankfully, the pressed powder suggested to me worked well!!!! ( Thank you The Bay makeup counter lady.) We experimented with a lot of colours as contrast is a very important factor in traditional Japanese makeup. So I have learned I need very bright colours.
After the makeup test the rest of the night I stayed in the room and worked on preparing for my panels (I was still blitzing mangas Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles and xxxholic). My roommates and I watched, Star Trek: TNG and Fresh Prince of Bel Air with William Shatner as the special guest. My roommate “I” is a new Star Trek fan so the TNG episode was new to her. It’s funny group viewing Star Trek.
We worked out who would be selling what at the garage sale since we had all wanted to attend The Helen McCarthy panel on European fandom at the same time. My friend “R” volunteered to help sell so we could attend the panel.

Pic of my roomies and I

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2011 3:45 am
Takoyaki is love

Some of my report is going to take a bit longer for my report as Facebook has been difficult when it comes to posting links, so i have to download the pics and put on photobucket.

Anyway, since there was a Progressive Conservative party convention, at the same place, Maclean's magazine (kind of like a Canadian version of Time magazine), came and took some pictures of cosplayers. They made it to the Arts and culture section.
Linky

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2011 4:35 am
Takoyaki is love

Friday

I spent the morning hanging out a bit with some friends. Particularly since the breakfast line was very long.

During breakfast people were out and about in cosplay and there was a girl in these crazy planked sandals. How did she walk?

I think I spent some of my morning blitzing manga.
In the afternoon I had lunch with some of my university anime club members and more people showed up then I thought. It was a lot of fun, and we geared up for the beginning of the convention in the after noon.

First I went to the Greg Ayers Greg Ayers is a voice actor but he also works on educating people on boot leg merchandise, how it can be dangerous and how it can fund organized crime. Beyond anything if a person does not care about any of those things, care about getting ripped off. He also demonstrated much of his knowledge of Canada (Greg Ayers is an American).

After helping my friends get set up for the flea market, I went to the Helen McCarthy panel about European anime fandom. She talked about how anime spread through France, Spain and Italy starting through the 70’s and how fandom developed in the UK. She even talked about the importance of Star Trek. Above all I think it demonstrates the importance of having animation on television (like in France) and how it does not just make fans happy, it helps people who sell Anime DVDs and manga feel secure in the products they sell, since the local market has been familiarized with it. (I think France is one of the top countries for manga sales after Japan.)

I then went to the last half of the skit show. The best skit I saw was a Kurostuji skit, on how the first season should have ended. (If anyone wants to see it message me, it’s available to view on FB.)
I then went to flea market area and some of my stuff sold. I did some walking around and bought the Argonath bookends (I bargained down to ten bucks each).

Since I didn’t have much to sell, I helped one of my roomies sell their stuff. I sold off his 5 years of Shounen Jump monthly anthologies (no one wanted to drag it back to the hotel), and I sold his 12 volumes of Bleach. Because of that, my roomie treated those of us who helped him sell stuff, to a free breakfast on Saturday. Yays!!

Late that night I went down to the video rooms, where I hung out at the karaoke and read manga on my ipod. For one person since there was no music for the song he wanted to do so he just sung it into the mic acapella.It was good|!! He sung the ending theme for Monster.

Spent the rest of the night blitzing manga. I had finished Tsubasa and I was going through xxxholic.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 23 Jun , 2011 1:02 am
Takoyaki is love

Hey, just thought I would update, I am still working on the report. Got really busy, and then got in a car accident. (I am ok). I am slowly regaining my equillibrium. Also, photbucket is being difficult with videos. Also I have waiting for another person to upload a vid. But I have been continuously working on it.

Concerning manga, has anyone read Kaouru Mori's A Bride's story? A gorgeous book, and I would recomend it to people who are not familiar with anime and manga. It's set in the 19th century, in central Asia, where a young woman from a semi -nomadic tribe is married off to a 12 year old who is heir to a wealthy family. The art is so beautiful. Volume 2 comes out in October.

If it wasn't by Kaoru Mori, I would be really unsure about it, but I trust her. She goes to painstaking detail in her work in terms of researching the time period and her stories are pretty good too.

Video links to Kaoru Mori drawing a full page for the bride's story manga (She is drawing the main character Amir, the bride.)
Linky 1
Linky 2
Linky 3
Linky 4
Linky 5
Linky 6

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Wed 29 Jun , 2011 6:22 am
Takoyaki is love

]Ok I here is a link to the kimono display for anime north with historical discriptions.

It explains a great deal about how technology and sumptuary laws affected kimono.

It answers some interesting questions like, womens under kimono are mostly bright red ( like this ) and have flashy patterns. By extension why mens under kimono are pretty flashy, while the outside is usually subdued.

Furisode through the ages

Password is momiji

I am posting from an iPod so I have to edit in some links.

Last edited by Wilma on Sat 02 Jul , 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 29 Jun , 2011 2:39 pm
Best friends forever

How beautiful! Thank you.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 23 of 24  [ 477 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 120 21 22 23 24 »
Jump to: