board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Have you seen the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series? poll

Post Reply   Page 3 of 7  [ 137 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Have you seen the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series?
yes and loved it

38% [ 8 ]
yes and didn't care for it

0% [ 0 ]
yes

19% [ 4 ]
no

29% [ 6 ]
no, but I plan to

10% [ 2 ]
no, and think it's a bad idea

5% [ 1 ]
Total votes: 21
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: Have you seen the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series? poll
Posted: Fri 19 Feb , 2010 8:04 pm

When I was where you are in the series, I couldn't imagine --->
SPOILERS IN WHITE FONT wrote:
how Angel could possibly be able to star in his own spin off series later on..... he's so completely evil that I didn't even want to get the spinoff series later. :nono:
So, yeah, I understand what you are going through. Just rest assured- however it is resolved, there will be repercussions echoing along the storyline for quite a while. That's what "Buffy" is good at.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 19 Feb , 2010 8:53 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Is it safe for me to read what you wrote? I'm on the second-last disc of Season 2.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 19 Feb , 2010 10:14 pm

Sure, Jude. I wrote it for you! :salmon: It's just that it might spoil something for someone who hasn't gotten as far as you have, yet. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 19 Feb , 2010 10:26 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Ah, ok. :D

Well, I just got home from work. I'll make myself a quick cup of coffee, and watch the next episode. I need to know what happens next!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 22 Feb , 2010 5:29 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Season 2 Spoilers below!!

(as vague as possible, but still...)

I watched the Season 2 Finale. Now the dvd covers of later seasons make even less sense. :P

Oh, and ... if Buffy is into "saving" vampires, why couldn't they do the same thing for Drusilla and Spike that they did for Angel? I can't believe none of the characters ever thought of that.

And if they do think of it in a later season... don't tell me! I'll find out soon enough. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 25 Mar , 2010 1:54 pm

How's season 3 going for you? I'm rewatching again :help: and am just starting season 3 again.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 25 Mar , 2010 2:07 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I'm enjoying it so far...

Spoilers for early Season 3 episode follow

Could the resolution of the episode about the rogue watcher have been inspired by Peter Jackson's treatment of the defeat of Sauron at the Last Alliance? Actually, ever since I saw FOTR I've always thought that Jackson's solution made more sense than Tolkien's. At least in this one instance.

Edit to add: I just looked it up, and Buffy Season 3 predates FOTR by a couple of years. Interesting.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 25 Mar , 2010 3:22 pm

I thought it resembled that too, but hadn't thought to look up which came first. Cool! A Buffy influence on FOTR. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 29 Jul , 2010 1:30 am
Aspiring to heresy

I just started season 4!

And I have to say - it's great that they pause to say those snappy one-liners in the middle of a fight, but if they did that during a real fight they'd get knocked out before they finished the sentence!

Oh, and I can't believe that Buffy made that joke about head-butting that vampire before head-butting it. Maria, since you're into the martial arts, how can you watch that without sneering? :D

Apart from the talk-while-you-fight issue: good season opener :thumbsup

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 29 Jul , 2010 1:34 pm

That's the first college episode isn't it? I didn't like any of her fights with "Sunday"- there was no reason given why that particular vampire should be able hurt Buffy so easily. I just kind of roll my eyes on that episode and wait for the next one.

Besides, you can't really criticize Buffy's fighting technique from a normal human standpoint. The supernatural strength and speed apparently make proper form and even physics a joke. :shrug: Don't get me wrong- the woman who doubles for Sarah Michelle Gellar in the fight scenes is good, but humans just can't do the things they show Buffy doing. The leverage is mostly wrong, and they are using wire harnesses half the time to achieve the effect.

If the premise of the story was that Buffy was a normal girl trained to do the job of Vampire Slayer- then that would blow the story for me. My disbelief could not be suspended. However, since she has preternatural speed and strength (and presumably equally strong joints and tendons!) then that explains everything.

Are you going to try to keep up with Angel's story? There are a several crossovers per season, but you can just watch Buffy easily enough.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 29 Jul , 2010 1:44 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I probably won't watch the Angel series until I've finished all the Buffy seasons - and even then I may not. These DVD costs add up.

My local library has season 2 of Angel. How useless is that? If I were going to watch one season, it would be the first one - then I'd decide whether or not to continue.

Was it my imagination or did Buffy catch a glimpse of Angel in the Bronze right before she met Xander? It went by so quickly it was hard to tell.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 29 Jul , 2010 2:09 pm

It was just someone with a similar profile. Angel is off in LA having adventures of his own right now. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 29 Jul , 2010 6:45 pm

By the way, can you get used DVDs where you are? I buy used DVD sets from Amazon regularly and can usually get them used for 1/3 the list price of the new ones.

I actually have a wishlist going on their site, and keep track of the price fluctuations. When something I want drops to a level I'm happy with, then I get it. Until then, I just keep track of how the prices are going. Newer stuff is slower to drop in value, but the DVDs for "Angel" have been around long enough for the price to be reasonable now. http://www.amazon.com/Angel-Season-One- ... 408&sr=1-1 This is unusual: Amazon is selling season one for $30.99, some other sellers are it new for $9.74 and used is $7.49.

Anyway, used has been working great for us. We haven't hit an unreadable disk yet, and the lower costs mean that if we want to sell them some day, we don't take too much depreciation. :) The only issue so far with used has been with one season of "The Dead Zone" where the booklet was missing, and the episodes aren't marked on the box or the disks- so when we wanted to go back and show our kids one particular episode, we didn't know what disk to look on and had to actually load the disk to get to the DVD menu and check them one by one until we got to the one we were looking for. Otherwise, there's no difference. Well, except for the packaging not matching, if one cares about such things. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 29 Jul , 2010 7:06 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Oh yeah, I do the exact same thing! I have a wishlist of items I check regularly and buy when the prices get reasonable. I've saved tons of money that way!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Mon 16 Aug , 2010 10:17 am
DomiKNITrix

The first time I ever watched a bit of Buffy was when it began in Germany. My sister used to watch it regularly, but I didn't like it back then. I blame German synchronisation. :D In the last 2-3 weeks I watched the entire series in English. :Q I loved it! And who would have thought I would like Spike that much in the end? Heh. :D

I'm sad the series is over now - I could have gone on watching more and more of it. At the moment I am watching Angel, but I don't (yet) like it nearly as much. I think it's because I preferred the Buffy characters more.

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 16 Aug , 2010 2:02 pm

Angel is definitely a darker show. And season 4 has some serious flaws. But it's worth it go get to season 5 where they bring in Spike as cast member! :banana: My favorite episode of the whole series is in season 5. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 02 Sep , 2010 11:35 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I just finished season 4 of Buffy. I had read somewhere that it was regarded as an unsatisfactory season. I don't agree! There were more risks taken this season, to be sure. When I watched the "Jonathan" episode, I thought I must have accidentally missed an episode or watched it out of sequence. That was a brilliant plot exposition. I loved the gradual "aha" moment when everything eventually became clear!

And "Hush" was one of the most brilliant and terrifying pieces of screenwriting I've ever seen. Extra kudos since most of it was silent!

And, although they couldn't have possibly known this when they were writing the season, but it was beyond hilarious that the acronym that the Initiative used for the Hostile Sub Terrestrials is the same one that's used for the tax that's recently been introduced in Ontario and British Columbia (HST). I had a huge grin on my face every time they used it in dialogue :D

Those people that are campaigning against the tax should mine the scripts of this season for great sound bytes!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Fri 03 Sep , 2010 8:23 am
of Vinyamar

"Hush" is indeed awesome!

Anyone know where I can get the Buffy Season 8 Comics in digital format? I got myself an iPhone 4 and am enjoying reading books and comics on it very much!

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 03 Sep , 2010 1:19 pm

I haven't seen the digitals ones for sale anywhere, sorry.

I meant season 4 of Angel was kind of substandard. Season 4 of Buffy is fine! :) Did you watch the opening credits of "Superstar"? We always watched the opening credits and when that episode came on, it was really confusing! "What???? They have a new cast member???? :scratch: :D

And yes, "Hush" is an awesome episode. The commentary on that one is pretty good, too, if you are into that sort of thing. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 03 Sep , 2010 1:41 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Superstar - that's what I meant by the "Jonathan" episode. And yes, it was quite disorienting - I think they should have retitled that one "Jonathan the Vampire Slayer"! But maybe that would have given it away too early.

I haven't listened to any of the commentaries yet. Maybe some time in the future.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 7  [ 137 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Jump to: