board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Oscar 2011 Predictions

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]
Lidless
Post subject: Oscar 2011 Predictions
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2011 7:36 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /110129999

Obviously King's Speech, Firth and Portman are shoe-ins...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject: Re: Oscar 2011 Predictions
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2011 12:15 pm

Social Network will win. Fincher will also win director.

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Tue 01 Feb , 2011 9:34 pm
Legendury speller

If True Grit is an option for consideration I think it should considered. For best cinematography perhaps?

The Kings Speech was excellent and deserves attention.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World was very different and well done. Perhaps there is a category it deserves some attention?

Inception should be considered, perhaps for best picture?

Toy Story III should be in the running for the best animated film. Despicable Me has been popular but I have not seen it.

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
TWT
Posted: Tue 08 Feb , 2011 6:45 am
Wembley bound

I don't think I can predict accurately but I sure hope Portman wins. And not that I have anything against it but I sure hope that social network doesn't win. There's so many other deserving films and I found it far from spectacular an only relatable cause everyone has Facebook. It lacked creative flare and I'm no fan of fincher.

I'm sure I'll have more useless opinions after I see more Oscar noms.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Thu 10 Feb , 2011 7:52 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Inception should win Best Picture. Nolan got robbed and should have not only been nominated but won best director. The rest is greek to me. When I watch more I suppose my opinion might change. I just don't see how The Social Network can be that great. Why is everyone so over-the-moon for it? I know I need to watch it, but I don't want to because Mark Zuckerberg is a huge fuck.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Fri 11 Feb , 2011 10:39 pm

TheMary wrote:
I just don't see how The Social Network can be that great. Why is everyone so over-the-moon for it?
Because it's a really sharp and entertaining story about power, greed, and betrayal. :)
TheMary wrote:
I know I need to watch it, but I don't want to because Mark Zuckerberg is a huge fuck.
It's not like the movie paints him in a positive light! :P

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Sun 13 Feb , 2011 8:35 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Just watched the social network and it took me a long time to realize, duh as Yov pointed out, the movies portrayal of Zuckerberg isn't exactly positive, but it is as I imagined it would be. I see what all the buzz is about since the social network was a really well written, directed, and acted movie. Andrew Garfield and Jessie Eisenberg were phenomenal! Best Picture worthy? I'm not sure...having an Oscar nomiated movie marathon with the fam this afternoon. The King's Speech is next!

Lay down
Night is falling
Sleep now
They are calling

Why do you weep?
Soon you will see
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Mon 28 Feb , 2011 12:54 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Still miss the annual vynacca of mirkwood thread at torc.

This is the most last-minute I've ever done my predictions, but they're fun to look back on if I get stuff right. :halo: Too distracted this year, haven't even gone to the cinema since July, and was pretty neutral on the nominations except for a few categories Inception was grossly absent from, so yeah... this will be my first Oscar ceremony where the fashion takes front seat to the awards. :D I feel all spiffy for having spotted some Elie Saab and Dior at recent events - wonder if I'll recognize anything else tonight!

...I need to get back to the movies and stop looking at dresses all day. :uhoh:

Best Picture - The King's Speech

Best Actor in a Leading Role - Colin Firth for The King's Speech

Best Actress in a Leading Role - Natalie Portman for Black Swan

Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Christian Bale for The Fighter

Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Melissa Leo for The Fighter

Best Directing - David Fincher for The Social Network

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen - The King's Speech: David Seidler

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published - The Social Network: Aaron Sorkin

Best Animated Feature - Toy Story 3

Best Foreign Language Film - Dogtooth (Greece)

Best Cinematography - True Grit: Roger Deakins

Best Editing - The Social Network

Best Art Direction - Inception

Best Costume Design - Alice in Wonderland: Colleen Atwood

Best Makeup - Barney's Version

Best Original Score - The Social Network: Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross

Best Original Song - Tangled ("I See the Light")

Best Sound Mixing - Inception

Best Sound Editing - Inception

Best Visual Effects - Inception

Best Documentary, Features - Inside Job

Best Documentary, Short Subjects - Killing in the Name

Best Short Film, Animated - Day & Night

Best Short Film, Live Action - Na Wewe

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Mon 28 Feb , 2011 4:56 am

yovargas wrote:
Social Network will win. Fincher will also win director.
I was wrong and not at all upset to be so. :)

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Mon 28 Feb , 2011 5:46 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Back to looking at dresses; that shit was boring. :P Only Nicole Kidman's dress stood out to me, with some purty sparkles showing up on Penelope Cruz and Anne Hathaway.

Before I forget, the ceremony itself...

LOTR! Not just a short clip in a montage, but the full orchestration to accompany Cate Blanchett's walk to the mic, where she then talked about how important makeup and costumes were to the film. Even after winners were announced, the image on the screen behind them remained of Arwen & Aragorn's Rivendell embrace. Take that, lesser mortals.

Christian Bale made reference to his on-set rampage. This is why he's the goddamned Batman.

Steven Spielberg walked on stage to the Jurassic Park theme. Take that, lesser Schindler score.

It made me so happy to hear that beautiful Inception score so many times tonight. For the acceptance it indicated, and because it just bloody sounds good. :love: Perhaps in another universe, it would be playing while that whole cast and crew walked to the podium for a Best Picture win. They win in the podium of my heart.

:flowerthrow:

My tally for the night was 15 out of 24 categories correct. Bit less than recent years, think I was usually around 17. No regrets; was pretty sure on my picks once I finally chose them. Makes the documentary and shorts even more fun to watch cuz no one anywhere has a better chance of getting it right. :P I was glad for one winner to mention the nominees being available online, since that is my main complaint for the smaller categories: fuck the mainstream, these animated foreign language numbers look amazing and I want to check 'em out! Years ago when Rodia's film was in there, I was equally thrilled for her and for the chance to actually see one of the nominees heh.

Anyhoo, that's that. I can't wait to see The King's Speech and 127 Hours. With an apparent record amount of sequels being released this year, it will be interesting to see what the Oscars can churn out next time. Hopefully some quality will sneak in there before too much advantage is taken of the extra Best Picture slots. :P

EDIT: as for that Ebert contest, he got 13 right. Hey, I coulda split $100,000.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 28 Feb , 2011 6:13 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Liddy nailed it!

And *E* :bow: :bow: That's amazing!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2011 9:50 pm

Well Inception got robbed in several categories BUT I did enjoy The King's Speech so I can't complain too much. I did squee massively when Cate Blanchet came out and THE music was playing. My book club frineds were like "you are a crackhead" but they just wouldn't understand :LMAO:

Can I say Hathaway and Franco flopped? Bring back Letterman!!! We want controversy not a snoozefest!!!! Oh go ahead have fun at their expense they get paid well enough!

Katherine Bigelow's dress was HORRIBLE! Other than that I didn't watch the red carpet, shame shame for this fashion major, but otherwise people looked nice.

Lay down
Night is falling
Sleep now
They are calling

Why do you weep?
Soon you will see