3-6 moderate hazard

86% [ 6 ]
7-10 high hazard

0% [ 0 ]
Total votes: 7
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Is your shampoo safe?
Posted: Wed 09 Mar , 2011 7:20 pm

After months of ignoring my coworker whenever she hinted that she'd love to sell me some Avon products, I finally asked her yesterday if Avon made anything to help with frizzy hair, because the antifrizz conditioner I've been using just doesn't help much.

She got me some samples and I had to look online because the ingredients weren't shown. (Wheat protein makes sores on my scalp, so I have to read labels.) Anyway, I found the ingredients list and even though it didn't have wheat, it had a long list of strange chemicals I'd never heard of before. So I started googling and found this site: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

The product I was looking for wasn't listed, so I started looking up individual ingredients. Every ingredient I looked up had notations that it was either a carcinogen, an endocrine disrupter, caused organ toxicity or enhanced skin absorption! :Q

YIKES! So I gave back the samples, but my curiosity had been aroused: How did my normal shampoo and conditioner rate?

So, I looked them up. On a scale of 1-10 with ten being bad, my shampoo rated 6 and my conditioner 5. :(

Then I started questing for safe products. I looked at all the shampoos with a health rating of 0 and discarded the ones that mentioned minor concerns with endocrine disruption and/or enhanced skin absorption and started looking at products and pricing. To make a long story shorter, the liquids were hideously expensive, but I found some bar shampoos that I've ordered samples of and that I hope will work.

I'm no longer seeking antifrizz capabilities. I just want stuff that isn't soaking through my skin and challenging my body's resourcefulness at toxin elimination!

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Is your shampoo safe?
Posted: Wed 09 Mar , 2011 8:14 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Mine are both 5s. I don't know how worked up I'd get about this stuff. Seriously, you can drive yourself insane by looking into everything. I know there has to be a balance, and you need to know some things. But it gets to be too much after a time. I think there will always be a hidden danger somewhere in something. If there weren't, then why wouldn't we live forever?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 09 Mar , 2011 8:59 pm

I was just surprised that the shampoo I've been using was a 6, since it was formulated as a "sensitive care" product. I started using it about a year ago because by trial and error I'd found that it *wouldn't* cause the scalp sores that have been an annoying problem for years. Now that I know wheat additives were the problem, I can try other products with a bit better odds of not causing scalp issues.

Also, I was kind of interested if anyone else seemed to be using a relatively harmless product.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Wed 09 Mar , 2011 9:07 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I'm confident with my Lush products anyway, but it was nice to see they all got yellow ratings. Without allergies to specific ingredients, I don't know if the big long list is useful to me. :uhoh:

All the other stuff in the house, though... Well, as long as I don't purchase from Walmart, I still feel better about it. :halo:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 09 Mar , 2011 11:08 pm
bioalchemist

Mine came out as 5s. I'm a little unimpressed by the list. For one thing, I rinse my hair thoroughly after shampooing and conditioning (and if I don't boy howdy is my hair a mess after it dries) so I'm not sure about the risk. For another, my scalp is happy. And finally, the listed risks are a bit over the top. One of the ingredients in my conditioner is glutamic acid, aka glutamate. Glutamate is one of the 20 amino acids. Your body produces it and you consume it any time you eat something that used to be alive. It is also a neurotransmitter, it's an important metabolite, and it's one of the molecules that we taste as umami. All in all, it's pretty inocuous. That website rates it as a two, citing neurological effects. :roll:

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2011 2:22 pm

My mom checked found that lactic acid was a 4 or 5 depending on usage... so maybe their concerns are a bit inflated. You can make anything sound dangerous if you try. Have you ever seen the MSDS for water? I found this online years ago and saved a copy just to show new employees who expressed dismay at the thought that we keep material safety data sheets on every chemical in the building. :roll:

Material Safety Data Sheet - Water©
I. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION
Manufacturer’s Name: MOTHER NATURE, Inc.
Address: Everywhere, The World
Business Tele. #: Not available
Emergency Tele. #: Not available
Trade name:Water, Aqua pura
Synonyms: Dihydrogen Monoxide; H20
III. PHYSICAL DATA
Boiling point (760 mm Hg): 100oC (212oF)
Melting point: 0oC (32oF)
Specific gravity (H2O = 1):1
Vapor pressure - 100oC (212oF) 760 mm Hg
- 0oC (32oF) 17.5 mm Hg
Solubility in water (% by wt.): 100%
% Volatiles by volume: 100%
Evap. rate (Butyl acetate = 1): Not available
Appearance and Odor:Clear liquid; No odor
Flammable limits in air (% by Vol.): Not applicable
Extinguishing Media: Not applicable
Special firefighting procedures: Not applicable
Unusual Fire and Explosion Hazard: Rapid temperature rise of liquid can result in explosive vaporization, particularly if in a sealed container.
Acute over exposure: Inhalation can result in asphyxiation and is often fatal.
Chronic overexposure: Chronic inhalation overexposure not encountered.
Skin Contact
Acute overexposure: Prolonged but constant contact with liquid may cause a mild dermatitis.
Chronic overexposure: Mild to severe dermatitis.
Skin Absorption
Acute overexposure: No effects noted.
Chronic overexposure: No effects noted.
Eye Contact
Acute overexposure: No effects noted.
Ingestion
Acute overexposure: Excessive ingestion of liquid form can cause gastric distress and mild diarrhea.
Emergency and First Aid Procedures
Eyes: None
Skin: None
Inhalation: Remove to fresh air; Provide artificial respiration; Provide oxygen.
Ingestion: None
Notes to Physician: None
Hazardous decomposition products: Hydrogen - Explosive gas Oxygen - Supports rapid combustion
Conditions contributing to hazardous polymerization: None
Large quantities should be directed to collecting basin or drain with dikes or swabs.
Neutralizing chemicals
None required.
Waste disposal method:
Process contaminated material through treatment plant prior to discharge into environment. Discharge permit may be required.
Specific personal protective equipment:
Respiratory: None required.
Eyes: Goggles or full face splash shield when dealing with hot liquid.
Hands: Use insulating gloves when extensive exposure to solid state or high temperature liquid state is contemplated.
Other clothing and equipment: Use heat protective garment when exposed to large quantities of heated vapor.
Compound is known as "the universal solvent" and does dissolve, at least to some extent, most common materials.
Compound will conduct electricity when dissolved ionic solutes are present.
Other handling and storage requirements:
A high pressure containment vessel should be used for the vapor at high temperatures.
Do not allow filled, closed containers to solidify as compound expands upon freezing.
Unionville, PA 19375-0877
(610) 380-1874
Email: springde@libertynet.org
NOTE: This MSDS was prepared to demonstrate the "worst case" conditions described in the usual MSDS and may be copied for free distribution but not for sale.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2011 4:14 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Love it, Maria, I had no idea water was in the MSDS! :LMAO: It reminds me of the Penn & Teller sketch where they went up to a bunch of people at some big event and asked them to sign a petition banning dihydrogen monoxide. A lot of people took the bait!

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2011 4:28 pm

Hey, that stuff is dangerous! If you breathe enough of it, it can kill you! :Q ;)

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2011 4:31 pm
bioalchemist

And if it gets on your skin too long, it causes irritation. And water-dependency is lifelong and no one has ever recovered from it. Ever seen someone in water withdraws? Truly a pathetic sight. ;)

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
ninanina
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2011 5:10 pm

I used to think drowning was the only way water could kill. Then came the news that a group was making kids drink water as punishment. One drank so much it was fatal, apparently messed up the electrolyte balance.
Way back in the past, a manufacturer supplied MSDSs for the reagent cubes for an instrument. The one for the reagent grade H2O stated that if it was splashed in the eye, the eye should be irrigated with distilled water.
My shampoo is a 5, Js is a 1. I tried his this morning and my scalp is kinda prickly.
Way way back in the past, my mom would wash our hair with Ivory bar soap, rinse well, then use a vinegar rinse. Sometimes she would use rainwater for the procedure. I would get asked how i got my hair so shiny.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2011 6:01 pm
bioalchemist

Reagent- or HPLC- or analytic-grade water bought from companies (as opposed to distilled or ultrafiltered in-house) often has preservatives like sodium azide in it. There was a case at Harvard Medical a couple years ago where a bunch of people got poisoned because someone put HPLC-grade water in the coffee maker. AFAIK, no one died, but they got really sick. I'm not sure criminal charges were filed, but a move like that is either attempted murder or criminal negligence, one or the other.

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2011 7:59 pm

My boss has told me about a company he owned once, and they stored the distilled water used in the processes there in a big stainless steel tank. After a while, one of the workers had to report that the water was eating up the tank. In distilled form it's pretty corrosive.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2011 8:23 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

MariaHobbit wrote:
Melting point: 0oC (32oF)
Water can melt? :nerd: Ahma need a video of this as well as for the melting rock, kthanx.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2011 9:56 pm

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2011 10:07 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2011 10:16 pm

Is that what it meant, though? Or that water (WATER, not ice) can further melt from its liquid form?

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2011 10:53 pm
bioalchemist

Solids melt. Liquids boil. We call solid water ice and gaseous water steam because both are so common they deserve their own colloquial terms, but you don't melt liquid water. You boil it.

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2011 5:09 am

Ooo, I didn't realize those other terms weren't scientific. Did just realize I was further thrown off by not knowing the "o" part of "0oC" was supposed to mean the degrees symbol. :clap:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2011 2:02 pm

Yeah, sorry about that. I just copy/pasted and didn't check for symbols that didn't carry over. :oops:

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2011 6:57 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I could spend all day plugging stuff into that web site Maria! :blackeye:

As a seller of Mary Kay I have to admit it's a bit disconcerning to see your product there with a big red dot next to it, but I still believe in my prodcut and I don't think it's harmful. I do know that I have amazing skin that is moisturized and protected from the sun with the added benefit of alpha hydroxies to fight aging.

I could spend all day plugging stuff into that web site but I'm not going to :P

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see