The Last Homely Site on the Web

Stargate SG1

Post Reply   Page 1 of 6  [ 110 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
halplm
Post subject: Stargate SG1
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 10:09 pm
b77 whipping boy

Any chance we could change the name of the Forum to Movies/TV?

Anyway, there was discussion of this show elsewhere, so I thought I'd bring it up here.

I love the show, have since it began. Unfortunately, I never catch the new ones, but I catch up eventually.

I just recently watched seasons 1-6 on DVD, and half of 7 before I had to move and things got interrupted.... some of the greatest stories ever told on TV, in my opinion. "Indeed..." has become my staple reply to any observation :D... just wish I could get the one eyebrow raised thing right...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 10:36 pm
of Vinyamar

Very true Hal, unfortunately seasons 8 and 9 were not up to the same high standard.

As for Stargate: Atlantis... less said the better.

Every time I get depressed over a show I love getting cancelled I console myself by looking at what inevitably happens to the ones that don't!

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
notlistening
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 11:10 pm

you guys are so lucky...we are still only halway through series 8. I didn't think it was so bad, Alatar, though they are killing off the baddies quite quickly now. Glad Sam called off teh wedding though...just sayin'

nl

[ img ]

Profile Quote
fisssh
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Jul , 2005 3:51 pm
White Sox sw00ner

I love Stargate and Atlantis. (Dr McKay! :love: ) I can't wait for the new season premiere on July 15. I finally got cable just so I could see it in "real time"! It will be interesting to see how the new team members and enemy shape up.

We only wish! To catch a fish! So juicy sweeet!

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Jul , 2005 5:17 pm

This show was really surprisingly well-done. Excellent cast + excellent writing + excellent concept = excellent show. Was never quite "hooked" on it in the sense of it being a "must see" show, but I always enjoyed it when I happened upon it.

And it didn't hurt that Daniel and the captain (as well as that blond guy who replaced Daniel that one season) were quite handsome!

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Jul , 2005 6:32 pm
b77 whipping boy

Heh, I just started watching my DVDs again where I left off. Well, that and I got a new TV so it all looks cooler.

Made me want to buy more seasons!

The production quality is still amazing, but I havent' watched much after O'neil stopped heading out with the team. Heard good things though.

Atlantis just hasn't ever struck me as the same. I'm pretty sure that's because Richard Dean Anderson is the best actor they've got...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Jul , 2005 9:12 pm

This last season of Stargate was definitely lower quality than the preceeding ones.

I liked Atlantis, though. I'm glad we're almost to the new season! One more week!!!!!

If SG1 doesn't improve their stories, though, I'm not going to buy the rest of the DVDs. :rage: Sam's Club had the first 5 seasons for sale recently, at a pretty good price per season so we got them. Then we bought seasons 6 & 7 for my husband's birthday. I'm not sure the last season is worth buying though. :neutral:

Profile Quote
fisssh
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Jul , 2005 8:42 pm
White Sox sw00ner

Yeah, the Teal'c Gets an Apartment/Carter Hooks Up episode was a low point, and there were some other not-so-good eps as well. But I enjoyed the season overall. Even the inevitable clip show was good with Dan "Homer Simpson" Castellaneta as a barber channelling Jack!

Speaking of clips shows - Letters from Pegasus on Atlantis was truly inspired.

Only a few more days til season 9. w00t!

Profile Quote
fisssh
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 2:47 pm
White Sox sw00ner

Well I think the new seasons got off to a great start, especially SG-1. I was curious to see how Ben Browder would fit in and I was quite pleased. I enjoyed the whole "trying to get the band back together" thing and the interviews of potential team members.

Haven't seen enough of the new enemy to judge yet. Also Michael Shanks talks way too fast and I didn't catch everything he said about them - will have to rewatch tape. Arthurian legend always has the potential to be hokey but its also a rich source of mythology so it could be quite good.

I liked BB trying to pull Excalibur out of the stone. I thought for a moment he would become King of the Britons.
:D

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Jul , 2005 2:59 pm

And it was funny how Claudia Black pointed out the similiarity in appearance between Ben Browder & Michael Shanks. :D

Profile Quote
fisssh
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 20 Jul , 2005 8:17 pm
White Sox sw00ner

Yeah, "a limited but interesting gene pool." :LMAO:

As far as I'm concerned Michael Shanks can keep the beard if it helps people differentiate between the two. He looks scruffalicious.

I enjoyed Atlantis too. It should be interesting to see what develops with Ford's character. Oh the angst!

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject: Re: Stargate SG1
Posted: Tue 21 Dec , 2010 1:27 am
Aspiring to heresy

Question regarding Sg-1: Children of the Gods:

Why did that prison guard help them and join them, seemingly out of the blue? Is there some backstory I'm missing?

(I haven't read the rest of this thread to avoid spoilers)

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Tue 21 Dec , 2010 1:50 am

I always wondered that too. I think they sorta try to explain it later but IMO they never do a good job.
(Honestly, I like SG1 but I felt they did a bad job of explaining a lot of stuff.)

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 21 Dec , 2010 3:33 pm

It is explained later, but not fully for a long time.

I just watched the "Children of the Gods" remake of the first two episodes, and they show some different shots Teal'c's face during his supervison of the more dastardly deeds, and there are definitely some "I hate doing this" vibes going on. Even a microscopic shake of the head at one point.

Very dangerous on his part to be showing that much disapproval of Apophis (sp?) Maybe he knew he wouldn't be able to keep quiet for much longer?

And Teal'c wasn't just a prison guard- he was Apophis' First Prime. His right hand man. Jafah.... whatever. It was his job to make whatever Apophis wanted become reality. Very trusted. Highest rank one can get in the service of Apophis. That's why he has the gold emblem inbedded in his forehead, instead of a tattoo like the others.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 21 Dec , 2010 6:50 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Also, the Colonel (I forget his name already) invited him to help rescue them all. How did he know that he would be willing? Does this get explained as well?

Another minor gripe - after they get attacked by those flying machines, one of the soldiers runs up to the colonel and asks "Are you all right?" - with his rifle inadvertently pointed right at the colonel! Was the director asleep at this point? :D

Despite these minor gripes, I enjoyed the movie and am looking forward to the series.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 21 Dec , 2010 8:40 pm

I think Col Jack O'Neill was just taking a desperate chance with Teal'c. He'd seen how curious Teal'c was about his offworld equipment and might even have noticed the disgust Teal'c wasn't quite hiding.

I didn't even notice the rifle. It bothered me far more how lousy Sam Carter's salute was when she was first introduced. :roll: I guess they couldn't fix that if they didn't have the footage. Although apparently they did reshoot some of Apophis' scenes. I guess that actor didn't age noticably. And Christopher Judge revoiced his entire performance to match how he spoke in the rest of the series. That was a huge improvement. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2011 4:29 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So how much of this thread is safe to read if I've just finished Season 1?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2011 5:08 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Don't know!

But I did notice that the guest star on last night's episode was the lady from Farscape. She was hot for Daniel. :Q (I mean, can't say as I blame her, but it was kind of funny.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2011 6:37 pm

It's just sad how poorly they took advantage of such good actors as Claudia Black and Ben Browder. When I compare their performances on Farscape to SG1, it becomes very clear how very dependant good actors are on good writing and direction. The SG1 staff were handed a couple of rare gems in Browder and Black, and managed to turn them into plastic jewelry from a candy machine.
:nono:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2011 7:06 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Sooo the series goes downhill after the first season?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 6  [ 110 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: