board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.

Post Reply   Page 81 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Jump to page « 179 80 81 82 83138 »
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Re: Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2011 4:08 pm

A DNA test can surely settle it.

I don't think it's an ugly dog, it merely needs grooming.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2011 12:47 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110416/ap_ ... h_facebook

:( :nono: :rage:
Quote:
Mom on Facebook sentenced in son's drowning death
AP

o
o
retweet
o Email
o Print

– Fri Apr 15, 8:42 pm ET

GREELEY, Colo. – A northern Colorado woman who was playing a game on Facebook while her 13-month-old baby drowned in a bathtub was sentenced Friday to 10 years in prison.

Shannon Johnson, 34, of Fort Lupton, cried as District Judge Thomas Quammen told her he didn't think she was a bad person or that she killed her son on purpose, the Greeley Tribune reported. But, he added, that doesn't mean her action wasn't criminal.

"You left this little boy in a bathtub so you could entertain yourself on the computer by playing games," Quammen said. "And you left that 13-month-old human being, little Joseph, incredibly for those reasons."

Johnson pleaded guilty in March to negligently causing the death of her child. The charge carried a sentencing range of four to 12 years, but it also left open the possibility of alternative sentencing, which means she might have avoided spending time behind bars. Authorities rejected that option, saying they didn't want to play down the seriousness of her crime.

According to court documents, Johnson put her son in the tub for his bath a little after 8:30 a.m. on Sept. 20. She then left him unsupervised as she went to another room to share videos, check status updates and play Cafe World on Facebook.

When she returned to the bathroom, she found Joseph sideways and face-down in the water.

Johnson called 911 to say Joseph wasn't breathing. Paramedics were able to revive the toddler but he was pronounced dead at a Denver hospital.

According to the affidavit, Johnson told police the boy "wanted to be left alone" and was a very "independent baby."

She also told police she knew what it was like to be told "no," and she did not want her baby to be told "no."

The affidavit says she also did not want him to be known as a "mama's boy."

Johnson told police she gave the boy a bath every day — sometimes twice a day. She said that on the day Joseph died, the water level might have been higher than usual.

Johnson told police she had been leaving Joseph in the bathtub alone for weeks.

Johnson also told authorities that her son had a seizure at his grandmother's house a month earlier and had been given anti-seizure medication in case it happened again. Doctors didn't diagnose the cause of the seizure and there were no other occurrences, Johnson said.

The investigation into the boy's death was delayed while investigators waited for the final autopsy report. That report came back Jan. 3. It said the baby died of anoxic brain injury, cardiac arrest and drowning, according to the arrest affidavit. Johnson was arrested days later.

She was also sentenced to five years of mandatory parole following her incarceration.

Weld County Undersheriff Margie Martinez told KMGH-TV in Denver that Johnson's mother said she had warned her daughter of the danger of leaving the toddler unattended in water just days before he drowned.

"She told her she wouldn't do it anymore," Martinez said.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2011 2:59 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Good.

My mom wouldn't even answer the phone when she was bathing me. Idk how developed 13-month-olds are, but they sure as heck aren't ready to bathe themselves. She shouldn't have been anywhere but right beside the tub. And if she had her laptop in there, try looking up once in a while. It's a baby, not fucking spaghetti - more is at stake than your meal getting soggy or burned. I play too many facebook games these days, but I still noticed when the dog was looking at me weird like she just shit on the rug. And that ain't even illegal.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2011 8:56 pm

I couldn't agree more!

I didn't trust my girls alone in a bath till they were much older, maybe 6 or 7, iirc, and, even then, I talked to them the whole time. Or I listened for them as they were talking and playing. If it got quiet, then I checked on them or asked them a question. I did that till they were probably 9.

I can remember my grandpa doing this to me, btw. I was probably around that age, and if he was over while I was getting a bath he was constantly going by the closed door to check on me. :)

I adored my grandpa. :love:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2011 1:44 am

The times I had to give the boy who I watched as a nanny a bath, I felt like he was old enough to deserve privacy as he was 5 years old, but there was no way I left the nearby vicinity of the room. He would be in the tub and I'd be tidying up the rest of the bathroom or sit right outside while using their laptop-that way I could still hear him as he was playing. And he was five. Not one. :(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2011 3:14 am
Best friends forever

While what she did was criminally stupid, what's the use of putting her in jail? I don't get it. If she has any conscience, she will suffer for the rest of her life. Think of what she must think of, if she wakes up in the middle of the night.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2011 3:43 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Yeah, most of the neighborhood was around my age, and same goes for my relatives, so I've never been much of a babysitter. The last time I remember was for perhaps a preschooler, who started to miss his parents and stripped off his clothes then curled up in bed crying. I was like, 'oh, er, ah, there there naked kid. Let's get the pyjamas on then hit up some comfort food or whatever.' :P

Depending on their age and what I've been charged with, I'd at the very least park my ass right outside the door and play cards for a while if they can bathe themselves. When turkeys can drown just by looking up when it rains, and swimmers can pull a muscle so they're distracted from kicking to the surface, it should tell you that it's not the location that's the problem so much as any action that allows enough water to get in your lungs. The movie Garden State described how the main character's mother was paralyzed from the neck down, so when she slipped in the tub, she couldn't pull herself up. Hell, my grandmother was the only one at her nursing home who was allowed to bathe by herself because she wasn't an invalid like the others. They'd just check on her for the same reasons you should with anyone heh.

I know this is all very "duh", but I guess that's why the news angered me. There are solutions in life that I find obvious because of moral reasons, then stuff like this that is just... really now? Any part of that made sense?

Lali, my other grandma straight up gave us bubble baths. :D I've been thinking about that lately every time I come out of the shower, how I can't get the towel scrubbing just right. Grandma would get you dried off in a hot minute lol, otherwise my hair would drip on my nightgown for hours. At least I can make bubbles by soaping up my hands and blowing through an "okey doke" sign. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2011 3:45 am

vison wrote:
Think of what she must think of, if she wakes up in the middle of the night.
Must... replenish... crops...

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2011 4:15 am

vison wrote:
While what she did was criminally stupid, what's the use of putting her in jail? I don't get it. If she has any conscience, she will suffer for the rest of her life. Think of what she must think of, if she wakes up in the middle of the night.

:yes:

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2011 1:39 pm

Actually, I disagree. I think she needs jail time. :shrug: I don't know that she needs 10 years, but I also doubt she'll serve a full sentence. Yes, her conscience (if she has one) will serve well as a punishment for her complete stupidity and disregard of human life, but jail will also help in that process. I'm not sure this woman gets it.

(*E*, grandmas and bubble baths! :) They could get away with it. Mom was always afraid of UTIs.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2011 1:52 pm
Best friends forever

Well, we're doomed to disagree, Lalaith. Jail won't cure her stupidity, it will likely make it worse. Does she have other kids? Who's going to look after them while she's locked up? It costs a lot of money to keep a person in jail. Maybe she should be required to take a parenting class, or do volunteer work somewhere. But "punish"? I guess if further wrecking her life and making it almost certain that she will never be a useful member of society, that's punishing.

I'm not making excuses for her. I think what she did was beyond stupid and into the realm of utterly clueless and reckless. If I was god, she'd never have another kid. But that's not how things work.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2011 2:07 pm

Yep, we'll have to disagree. There are some things that I think deserve punishment beyond what a person's conscience may or may not give. If this had been the first time she'd left him alone, that'd be much different. If she hadn't been warned by her mother and was just stupid instead of stupid and willfully reckless and neglectful, that would also be different.

Nothing will cure her stupidity, most likely, but that's not the point of jail. The point of jail is to punish someone for committing a crime. I say it's a crime to let your child drown while you pursue your selfish pleasures in something as ridiculous as FB.

We do agree that parenting classes or volunteer work could prove useful to her, and I hope she is offered those things while in jail. I wouldn't be surprised if she were.

And, if she has other children, I'd have to question her fitness to be a mother to them anyway.

(I'm feeling awfully black-and-white this morning, which is a rarity for me.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2011 2:32 pm
Best friends forever

I feel pretty much the same, but not so much on this issue. There's a discussion going on elsewhere about a wretched woman who tried to kill herself and although she survived, the baby she was carrying did not. And now she is to be charged with murder.

I dunno. It's beyond me. Such a horrible tragedy.

As for the woman we are talking about, I really don't see the point of putting her in jail. Not so much for this particular case, but for many cases of various sorts. Jail should be a last resort, not a first, and jail or prison should be only for those who MUST be kept away from the rest of us. Merely locking people up and warehousing them for years is the most pointless exercise of the law that I can imagine.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2011 2:35 pm

LalaithUrwen wrote:
Mom was always afraid of UTIs
Bubble baths cause that? :scared:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2011 4:25 pm

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
LalaithUrwen wrote:
Mom was always afraid of UTIs
Bubble baths cause that? :scared:

*E*
Yes, they do. :(

vison, I'd be interested in some other type of punishment for this woman that involved her losing the privileges of normal life for a time period but that also gave her whatever help she needed to not be stupid--if there existed that sort of help for stupidity. Ignorance is one thing, of course. This doesn't seem like a case of ignorance to me, though.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2011 6:37 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Why would a bubble bath cause a UTI? :scratch: I can see how some bubble bath products might cause irritation, but unless you're like pooping in the bathtub, there's only a tiny, tiny chance that any bacteria would survive and infect the urethra.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2011 2:26 pm

They irritate the urethra, which can ultimately pave the way for an infection. For most people, it's not like they get a UTI after one bubble bath, though that is possible if they're particularly sensitive. It's seen with frequent bubble baths. And you may be a lucky one who never is bothered by them.

Although, I am seeing conflicting info now that I've looked this up to make sure I wasn't wrong (after a lifetime of being told this by my mom, an RN, and pediatricians and other doctors). Plenty of sites still say to avoid frequent bubble baths to help prevent UTIs. A few say the evidence isn't there to support that thought. They cause vaginal and urethral irritation but not necessarily UTIs. So there you go.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2011 2:34 pm
Best friends forever

Sounds like an urban myth to me. There is, in fact, no reason for a bath of any kind to cause any irritation to the "private" parts as long as you are just sitting in the bath and washed your bits only once. It's possible that it could be the other activities that regular, normal children often indulge in when given the opportunity. ;) I'm sure I need say no more to the Mums here. Who were all kids once, too. :)

We have a little swimming pool and even now, when the kids are getting really big, they aren't allowed to go in alone unless I'm out in the back yard. That's common sense. (Of course, the pool isn't in use at this time of year!!!)

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2011 2:41 pm

Well, if it's an urban myth, it's one that the medical community has been perpetuating for decades. I can still remember my mom making a poster for one of her nursing classes that highlighted "How to Help Prevent UTIs." That poster included: no bubble baths, wear cotton underwear, wipe front to back, use white toilet paper, etc. The idea was that some of these things (bubble baths and dyed toilet paper) can vaginal/urethral irritation which can predispose you for a UTI.

Bubble baths are proven to cause irritation. Whether that irritation leads to UTIs is the matter of debate.

Here is an example of the type of advice common in the medical field.

But here is an example of counter evidence.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2011 2:53 pm

That's what my doctor told me, too, about bubble baths. Avoid them. Of course, that wasn't what was causing my frequent UTI's, but I still avoid bubble baths out of principle. Pain association is a powerful thing. :help:

The same doctor, after seeing me several times one year for UTI's told me he thought I might have a "drooping bladder" and that it might not be completely emptying each time. So, I started leaning waaaayyyyyyy over once each time I urinate, and haven't had a UTI since. Completely voiding the bladder makes a significant difference in my UT health.

Just another aspect of living with pelvic prolapse. :shrug: Wow. I just realized my last UTI was back in 2006. :D w00t! I used to get them about once a year or so. :) Good riddance! :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 81 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 179 80 81 82 83138 »
Jump to: