board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Histamine Intolerance

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: It's not gluten after all! :0
Posted: Fri 11 Nov , 2011 6:13 pm

I finally bought some of the enzyme pills that destroy histamine in food. They arrived this week. I tried one with a chicken pot pie day before yesterday and did react. The GI symptoms were muted, but for the first time I had a lot of sneeze attacks. My eyes and nasal passages felt swollen and I kept having sneezing fits. It was terrible. I finally took an antihistamine during the afternoon and the symptoms vanished.

Anyway, today I felt OK, so we went to pizza place we love, and I had one slice of pizza and 3 of the enzyme pills. I'll find out in a couple of hours if it worked or not. Just about every ingredient in pizza is on my *do not eat* list, which is why I took 3 pills for a single slice.

Even if it works, it's not something I'll choose to do often. The 3 pills cost more than the meal! :Q

But for the moment, I'm still in a pizza bliss mood. :) Yummmmmmmmmmm....... It's been many months since I've had pizza of any sort, and over a year since I've had pizza with a delicious crust. :drool: Soooooo gooooooood.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 11 Nov , 2011 6:35 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Oh, I hope it works for you!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 11 Nov , 2011 6:39 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Sounds like the cost was worth it! (assuming it works - let's hope!)

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2011 9:21 pm

Oh, in case anyone's been wondering, the pills work partially. They eliminate the GI symptoms, but not the systemic ones like eczema or joint inflammation. So, I use them once in a while if there's a food I really want to try, but usually the damage to the system is not worth it.

What I popped on here to say is: I'm getting back my ability to digest milk! Apparently as long as I avoid histamines, my guts can function well enough to manufacture lactase, the enzyme that digests milk. :horse: Woo hooo! :D I've been cutting back on the number of pills per glass, and yesterday I tried half a glass with no pills at all. And there were no repercussions! :banana:

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 06 Dec , 2011 3:11 am

That's great news! :) Yay!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 30 Jan , 2012 7:25 pm

Riverthalos wrote:
Um, guys, antihistamines like Benadryl aren't little molecular sponges that wipe up histamine wherever they find it. They're more like molecular road blocks. They counter-act the immune response in an allergic reaction by blocking histamine receptors on nerves, blood vessels, and immune cells. What Maria's talking about is a food intolerance. She can't digest histamine in what she eats. That's something totally different and antihistamines are highly unlikely to do jack shit in her situation. If there's a pill for this problem, it's a pill that'll replace or boost the digestive enzymes responsible for breaking down histamine.
Guess what? I did some more reading last week, and found a scientific study where they tested several antihistamines for DAO suppression (that's the enzyme that breaks down histamines) and one unexpected result was that Benadryl boosts DAO enzyme activity by 19%! The other antihistamines had no effect, or did suppress DAO, so regular antihistamines won't work for my purposes.

But when I do overdose on histamine, for whatever reason, I can take Benadryl and it shuts down the reaction cold. :) I had an opportunity to try this last week, because I got really angry in traffic that morning..... and sure enough a few hours later I started having a histamine intolerance reaction. (Stress can trigger histamine release.) :roll: By bedtime I was really miserable, so I tried taking a Benadryl and it stopped the reaction. About 30 hours later it started up again, so last night I took half a pill and it worked just as well as the full pill, but with muted side effects.

So, now I know. When I OD on histamines- I can take Benadryl not for it's antihistaminic effect, but for it's DAO boosting property. :) I'm not going to do that much, though. My eyes have some really spectacular bloodshot veins in them right now. That almost never happens to me. Routine Benadryl is not likely to be tolerated by my system.

I've also learned that vigorous exercise can cause histamine release. So, not only do I have to watch what I eat and keep calm.... I also have to keep my exercise to a moderate level. If I try to run on our treadmill, I literally start wheezing in 1.5 minutes. And that's not lack of oxygen, that's an asthmatic wheeze, where the bronchial tubes tighten up and your breath makes a funny whistling ... well.... wheeze. That's because of histamine release. I've heard of exercise induced asthma before. This is why, I guess. I bet if I tried to run while on Benadryl, that wouldn't happen.

Anyway, it's a balancing act. The main source of histamines for me is food, but I also have to watch stress and allergens and exercise. If any one of those last three gets higher than normal, I guess I should cut food intake that day just to compensate. Or resort to Benadryl, if I do overdose and my body starts malfunctioning.

It's a strange, strange situation.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Histamine Intolerance
Posted: Tue 31 Jan , 2012 5:32 pm

That's interesting!

The histamine almost sounds like serotonin in how it works. I should probably look that up...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: