The Last Homely Site on the Web

Lushing....

Post Reply   Page 86 of 86  [ 1717 posts ]
Jump to page « 182 83 84 85 86
Silwen
Post subject: Re: Lushing....
Posted: Wed 26 Oct , 2011 9:33 pm
DomiKNITrix

Snowshower shower jelly is fantastic and I still have some that is actually two years old. :Q I kept it in the freezer the first year and then took it out so I would use it up. I keep forgetting it though. :roll:

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 26 Oct , 2011 9:57 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Wilma wrote:
(they discontinued Smitten).
Hang on - is Smitten the almond-scented hand cream? They discontinued that???

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Wed 26 Oct , 2011 10:17 pm
DomiKNITrix

That's the one. :(

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 26 Oct , 2011 11:32 pm
Aspiring to heresy

It's an outrage!!! :horse:

What the expletive deleted were they thinking???

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sun 30 Oct , 2011 9:50 pm
Takoyaki is love

Yeah, it was the best hand cream I ever had. But it is in the retro section, so I will be ordering from there. (Not to mention I finally found Recon there!! So happy!!)

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Wed 23 Nov , 2011 4:08 am
Takoyaki is love

Alright, I am a bit desperate. Does anyone know anything to help eczema? It seems it's getting pretty dry so the prescribed rash cream isn't working.

I also use Lush face mask oatifix. My regular moisturizer is Celestial.

Still I get redness and flakiness. :( I am going to be getting some cantaloupe to eat, so I hope that will help. Does anyone have any other suggestions? If things are getting this bad this early in winter I think I am going to need all the help I can get. :help: :help: :help:

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Wed 23 Nov , 2011 9:58 am
DomiKNITrix

Off the top of my head, I remember that Dream Wash and Dream Cream were always advertised as beneficial for customers with eczema. I can't think of any moisturisers that were pointed out to me in this regard, but at least the other two are useful for the rest of your body. I hope someone else may have more info.

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Wed 23 Nov , 2011 2:14 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Wilma, the only things I've ever found that helps my eczema (other than medicated stuff) are cocoa butter and monoi oil. Pure stuff, not mixed with other things. The bad thing about that for cocoa butter is that it can go rancid, and it's not something you can put on your face. Monoi oil is solid at room temp, but warm up the container with warm water and it's good. I have used it on my face (and hair, and the skin on the rest of my body) without any issues so long as I only use it a few times a week. Plus, it smells gorgeous.

It might be worth it to see when the eczema flairs up the most. It took me 6 years to figure it out, but my flair-ups follow my monthly cycle. It gets worse leading up to my period, and slowly gets better between the start of my period and when I ovulate. After I ovulate, it gets worse again, and quickly. It was bad all the time when I was on the pill.

Check the water in your house too. We have ultra hard water, and it's terrible for my eczema. The one and only time my eczema has completely gone away in the past 6 years was when I was staying in a place that had soft water. Even then, it took six weeks, and I don't know if I can give complete credit to the water either as I was on IVF hormone treatment which basically meant that my body was getting ready to ovulate the entire time.

I'm afraid that no one Lush product has ever helped my eczema for an extended period, but it did help a little when I would switch between Lush products - use one face mask, one toner and one lotion from them for a month, then switch to a different group the next month, and so on. For most people, switching up like that irritates the skin though, so I don't know as though I recommend it. Plus, it would be expensive.

If you're not on the pill, I would really suggest seeing if it follows your cycle. It doesn't help physically, but mentally, if the flair ups coincide with your cycle, it's just feels better to know that, ok, for the next week it's not going to be so bad, and then I'm going to have to amp up the care. Plus, if you find the stuff that's good for your skin and really concentrate on using it consistently during "the good part" then you can delay a flair up and make it not so bad. I used to end up with skin flaking, cracked and bleeding when the eczema would get really bad, but now that I concentrate on using the medicated cream during the few days when it's simmering down, I can get it to almost heal before it flakes up again. I still get flakes and cracks, but it doesn't bleed anymore.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 23 Nov , 2011 3:04 pm

My eczema was completely related to food intolerance. Once I stopped eating certain things, it cleared up completely. It might be worth your while to keep a food diary and see if flareups are related to foods you eat.

In my case, that wouldn't have worked because I'm histamine intolerant and the list of foods I can't eat is crazy long and I doubt a food diary would have pinpointed it, since I used to eat something from that group every day. But it might help you if one food is the main culprit. My worst trigger was chocolate. The past couple of weeks I've been experimenting with a pill that is supposed to allow me to eat histamine containing foods- and while it does stop the GI symptoms, I've noticed that afterwards, I start breaking out in little spots all over my torso. It's certainly not as bad as when I had weeping sores in the creases of my eyelids, but it's definitely a sign my body doesn't like that stuff.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sat 26 Nov , 2011 6:38 am
Takoyaki is love

Wow thanks for all the tips. I think the best results I had with stuff was canteloupe and papaya (which I hate), but I am willing to try it since flakiness is yucky. Also it does seem to indicate I am flaring up since my diet is missing something. Those seem to be the only fruits that make a dramatic difference, A honeydew would be in the same family of fruits right? So diet I think is part of it Maria.

After that the best results were the rash cream, and from time to time oatifix so I have been using that.

I find with the rash cream though I never fully clear up and I get these horrid dark marks on my face where my future wrinkles will be. Since I read that the cream can thin out the skin I try to avoid using it.

I am not on the pill so I am going to start tracking my breakouts especially with winter starting. Thanks Estel for that. At least I will know when to use the rash cream.

I will start hunting down some monoi oil, it sounds good.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sat 26 Nov , 2011 7:29 am
Takoyaki is love

Alright, I have another question, has anyone used the Lush deodorants?

Several years ago, I gave up on using antiperspirants. I switched to the extremely few ladies deodorants and they kept getting discontinued. I then switched to men's deodorant since they have more variety. Unfortunately the Old spice brand I used has now given me a horrific rash. :( I switched to some super expensive "natural" roll on but it does not work at all. :(

I am quite prone to rashes in that area so I think I would need a deodorant for sensitive skin. (When the heck did my skin get so sensitive?)

The thing is I have heard very mixed reviews on Lush deodorants but, old spice isn't working for me anymore. Anyone have any suggestions (even non-lush ones)?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Sun 27 Nov , 2011 1:08 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

It's also worth it to change over your shampoo and facewash and see if that's what's causing the problem. My eczema used to be terrible on my face, shoulders, neck and chest. Switched shampoo and face wash and it got so much better. I still get it in my shoulders a little bit, but I can't reach back there to put the oil on either, so never moisturising back there doesn't help.

The monoi is pretty easy and cheap to get on amazon. I've gone through a couple different brands. Monoi Tahiti is easily the best, and the cheapest. I do get a bottle of the Elemis Frangipani Monoi oil and the body wash about once a year. It's very expensive, but it works wonders when I'm having a really bad eczema breakout, so I save those products for when there's bleeding and the itchiness is unbearable. REN Is ok, but hard to find and somewhat pricey. Hei Poa is fantastic, but they have mainly soaps and shower gels.

I would NOT recommend the monoi oil from Fruits & Passion or from The Body Shop. The fruits and Passion brand just didn't work at all, whilst The Body Shop one doesn't go solid at room temp, so you know it's got other stuff in it that dilutes the effect. It didn't work as well.

Can't help much on the deodorant front as I've only ever had one type from one brand not give me a rash, and it's an antiperspirant, not a deodorant. Amazon does differentiate between deodorant and antiperspirant, and you can further narrow down by hypoallergenic, organic, natural, etc, etc. It might be worth it to go on there, sort by customer review and see if you can get anything that sounds good locally to give it a try. I do a lot of my research for brands via amazon.

One thing that does really help me is to remember to wash my armpits every night - not with soap, just warm water and a washcloth - and to do the same in the morning before I put my deodorant on again. You don't need to have it on whilst you're sleeping, and your armpits will appreciate a few hours without any sort of chemical. Also, if you shave avoid the gel type stuff. I recently started stealing Steve's Caswell-Massey shaving cream - the kind where you take a bit of the cream, mix it with a bit of water on a bowl with a brush and apply with the brush - and didn't even get a hint of a shaving rash. Let your armpits rest for 15 minutes after shaving, then put a lightweight lotion on them (no oil, no heavy lotion), let them rest for another 15 minutes, and then put deodorant on. If you do shave, don't do it more than once a week, twice max.

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Sun 27 Nov , 2011 1:13 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Stupid iPad won't let me scroll down the post to edit. :doh1: I was going to add, if/when you do shave, try to do it at night, then only put on the lotion and don't put the deodorant on until the next morning. The longer you can delay between shaving and deodorant application, the better. :)

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2011 2:55 pm

You can use isopropyl alcohol as a deodorant- just wipe it on with a cotton ball. That lasts a whole day for me, whenever I've used that method. I wouldn't do that immediately after shaving :Q but it does work if you want to try something with no other chemicals in it. I have no idea what it would do to a rash, though. It might dissolve and remove whatever it was that was irritating you. Maybe.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Tue 27 Mar , 2012 3:02 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I went back to Cynthia Syliva Stout and American Cream. My hair is happy and smells yummy. I'm so glad I let myself Lush again.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 29 Mar , 2012 1:59 pm
Takoyaki is love

Happy hair makes a happy person! I may try to get their hair hennas this week. I think I can get the brown first and buy the black next month. I know when my hair is lightened by swimming, it's redish brown. Gah, why does their stuff have to be so expensive?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 13 Feb , 2014 2:46 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Lush trademarks cosmetics range named after Amazon's UK boss
Quote:
The husband and wife team behind Lush – which this week won a high court battle against Amazon over its use of the word "lush" to sell rival cosmetics – has trademarked the name "Christopher North" as a brand name for a new range of toiletries, which could eventually extend to deodorants and hair removing cream. North is the managing director of Amazon.co.uk.

The independent cosmetics company had been locked in a David and Goliath legal battle with the internet retailer, but it has finally succeeded where thousands of small businesses have failed and got the attention of the boss of Amazon UK.

In an unconventional branding strategy, Lush has already now created a new shower gel and named it after their arch-rival, with the tagline "rich, thick and full of it".
Sounds like The Onion but it's actually The Guardian :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 86 of 86  [ 1717 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 182 83 84 85 86
Jump to: