The Last Homely Site on the Web

Gardening

Post Reply   Page 3 of 16  [ 308 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 516 »
vison
Post subject: Re: Gardening
Posted: Fri 02 Mar , 2012 3:54 pm
Best friends forever

For me, the issue is not so much GM seeds as the fact that Monsanto can and has patented them.

It is worth watching Food, Inc. Monsanto is not the only almost-criminally powerful company in the agri-food industry, but it certainly the worst.

Fewer and fewer companies own and control more and more of what Americans eat, more of what everyone in the world eats. They are not devoted to the well-being of the planet or the people who live on it, they are devoted only to profit at nearly any cost. It's far too complicated to go into in a short post!!!

There are many good seed companies that cater to the hobby gardener and/or organic farmer. Buy their seeds.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 02 Mar , 2012 4:22 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I know. I need to watch that movie.

Okay, I'll go put it in my Netflix queue now.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 02 Mar , 2012 6:45 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Yes - I have very strong feelings about this topic. I'll be checking that list when I get ready for this season's gardening. Thanks, Lali!

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 02 Mar , 2012 7:24 pm

Well, the movie is in my queue. I'm wondering if ignorance might not be bliss here, but then I should also face reality.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 02 Mar , 2012 7:36 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Oops! I somehow missed this page! My "yes" was in response to the last post on the previous page.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 02 Mar , 2012 7:38 pm

Oh, I know. I was responding in a general way to you and to vison.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonny
Posted: Tue 29 May , 2012 6:29 pm
pixel-pusher

Oooh! Great thread! I've been meaning to try my hand at veggie gardening. Unfortunately I share a yard with my neighbor's giant doggy so it will have to be securely fenced or a raised garden of some type. I'm excited about trying it. So far my planting has been limited to putting some hydrangeas in the ground. Which some roofers promptly squashed. :x But after buying some plant supports and giving them extra love they seem to be doing ok.

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 31 May , 2012 6:46 pm

This is my second year in a row to not even attempt a garden, and it's strangely liberating. :scratch: I kinda like not being obligated to get out and tend the garden in the hot muggy weather. In the spring it's fun- but I just never have coped with heat well and the garden always went to a weedy mess by August. *Not* doing it at all means I can have the sheep out grazing the former garden all season and I don't even have to mow it. :)

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 31 May , 2012 6:54 pm

It is hard work. I'm not allowed near the garden, which suits me fine. I am, however, attempting to re-landscape our yard, but I'm under the supervision of a good friend. She has talent, knowledge, and vision. I have two hands and some gardening tools.

We removed 5 large, overgrown evergreen bushes yesterday. The tallest ones were probably about 7 feet. I am a little scratched and sore today (and I slept super late!), but it feels good to have them gone. I don't like evergreen bushes like that anyway.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Wed 11 Jul , 2012 1:55 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I took over a half allotment in mid April. It's only a five minute walk from my house with a wheelbarrow. Despite torrential rain ever since, I created paths and raised beds and they have drained well and I have more than 40 different varieties of things in. I've dug up plenty of potatoes and salad stuff and strawberries already and the courgettes (zucchini) and beans should be ready very soon.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 11 Jul , 2012 2:28 am

Wow! That's impressive! (And can you please send some of that rain our way? :( We desperately need some!)

We've been enjoying zucchini and summer squash for a week or two now. We had some beans the other day, too. We ate our first cucumber today.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 12 Jul , 2012 9:47 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Any tips for dealing with spiders? Someone keeps leaving webs on my basil.

It's a minor irritation because I can just wash it off, but there is an "ick" factor where spider webs and food are concerned. For me anyway.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 13 Jul , 2012 7:13 pm

On the other hand, basil munching insects aren't eating your plants ragged. Spiders are good!

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 14 Jul , 2012 2:47 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Good point. I guess I won't do anything about them.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sat 18 Aug , 2012 12:22 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

So far I have been eating potatoes and the flavour is far beyond farm grown produce. We can't get enough of them. Also runner (pole) beans, climbing french beans, mangetout peas, broad (fava) beans including a red seeded variety, various colours and shapes of courgettes (zucchini), ruby red chard, both the stalks in stir fries and the leaf as a spinach substitute, pounds and pounds of lettuce, carrots, parsley, coriander (cilantro), rocket, dill, raspberries and strawberries and I have already replanted beds from cleared potatoes for the autumn and winter and sown green manure on parts that aren't planted up yet. The pumpkins are swelling and colouring. The rhubarb that was put in in the Spring has not been cut and is gaining strength for next year. yesterday I planted some more Chinese broccoli. I haven't grown it before. Soon it will be time to plant garlic and autumn sown broad beans for an early crop in the Spring.
Lots of work; I must have wheelbarrowed well over a ton of compost to the allotment from the garden - a 5 -7 minute walk away and as there is no water laid on, I also barrow down a 5 gallon container of water too to keep a small butt filled for transplanted stuff. I also put some dark red sunflowers, some sky blue cornflowers and some chysanthemums in because it is traditional to have a few flowers on an allotment.

In the greenhouse we have a glut of various weird shapes and colours of tomatoes. I have chillies galore every day both hot and mild and cucumbers to cool me down.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 18 Aug , 2012 3:42 pm

Mmmm! That sounds great!

I'm surprised by how much we've gotten from the garden despite the drought here. Freddy froze 9 gallons of green beans the other day. We've had cherry tomatoes galore and many heirloom tomatoes, too. (They are so amazingly good.) The cucumbers have not done well, alas, and they are my favorite. :(

Do you think there are flavor differences between GMO and non-GMO produce? We think the green beans have a better flavor, but we're not sure if we're just imagining it. (We planted everything from non-GMO seeds this year.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sat 18 Aug , 2012 8:03 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

We don't get genetically modified foods here. I agree with that because although I have no disagreement with the scientific developments, I quite frankly do not trust the commercial interests behind GM at all. In fact I fear them. If a GM mistake made them money but caused a continent wide famine it wouldn't stop them for a heartbeat.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 28 Aug , 2012 3:16 pm

Lali, I'm surprised you were able to buy GMO seeds. I've never seen them marketed to home gardeners in the U.S., and I've bought from a lot of sources. As far as I know, even the ones Monsanto sells to home gardeners (like Ferry Morse seeds) are just ordinary hybrids and open-pollinated (heirloom) varieties. I think the GMO seeds are too expensive and specialized, so they target those to the commercial growers.

I've noticed flavor differences between varieties, though.

Our potatoes are just about ready to dig, so we'll see if I had any luck. Our tomatoes are still producing, too, though the squash vine borers (disgusting things) just got the squash and are working on the pumpkins.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 02 Sep , 2012 1:55 pm

We bought non-GMO seeds. I can't remember the source now, but I could ask my husband. We ordered them online. We did that because it was our understanding that the seeds you can buy at the stores are very likely to be GMO.

The family just went outside to check on our garden after we've been gone for a week. We had some friends come over and pick whatever they could find so it wouldn't go to waste. I suspect that the garden is about done producing, though. However, I did hear from a very excited daughter that the grapes are in! (She ran in, grabbed a bowl, and disappeared.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 02 Sep , 2012 7:40 pm
Aspiring to heresy

It's wild grape season up here too. :drool:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 16  [ 308 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 516 »
Jump to: