Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »
Jude
Post subject: Re: The Hobbit
Posted: Wed 28 Nov , 2012 3:20 pm
Aspiring to heresy

They already had the première? :Q CBC article

This bit had me delighted and puzzled:
Quote:
One of the talking points of the film is the choice by Jackson to shoot it using 48 frames per second instead of the traditional 24 in hopes of improving the picture quality.

Some say the images come out too clear and look so realistic that they take away from the magic of the film medium. Jackson likens it to advancing from vinyl records to CDs.
How can it be too clear and too realistic? How can this be anything but an improvement? I'll have to see this for myself...

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 28 Nov , 2012 9:59 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I've seen a similarly shot movie before, and it ends up looking like a TV show. It is quite different than a typical movie. I am wondering how that will work for this film. Guess I'll find out soon! :banana:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Thu 29 Nov , 2012 10:59 am
of Vinyamar

I think Jackson has hit the nail on the head. Its like the difference between Vinyl and CD. People felt CDs were too crisp, too clean. They preferred the warm fuzziness of Vinyl, and yes, even the crackles. That was what music sounded like. CDs seemed somehow sterile. Of course, what people forgot was that Sound engineers had been working for decades with Analog sound. They knew how to get the best out of it. They had to relearn their craft to a certain extent with Digital audio.

The same is true of 24FPS. People are conditioned to believe 24FPS is "Cinematic". We've had that standard for nearly a century. Every film up to now has been designed to look best at that frame rate. The motion blur, the bleeding of colour, we're used to that. The Hobbit could end up feeling sterile if that is not catered for. The cinematographers need to understand that for many people Different==Bad. I am convinced that with suitable image grading The Hobbit will look fantastic.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 29 Nov , 2012 2:42 pm

So what should I try to see the movie in--Digital 3D IMAX, IMAX, etc.? I seem to have at least the possibility of a few choices, and I can't remember what the discussion resolved to on HoF.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 29 Nov , 2012 3:12 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I'd recommend IMAX 3D if you can get it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Thu 29 Nov , 2012 3:16 pm
of Vinyamar

Likewise.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 29 Nov , 2012 3:20 pm

All right, that's what I'm going to aim for.

My second choice? Third choice?

I don't think I'm going to go for a midnight premiere. Freddy has to work, and he would be rushing around to get there (with the possibility of getting stuck at work, too). So we're going to plan for Friday morning.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 29 Nov , 2012 3:50 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Is there a chance that IMAX 3D won't be available in your area? Then, you just have to decide what's more important to you: the much better size and resolution of IMAX, or the realism of 3D. Or neither, if that's all that's available.

If you plan to see it more than once, you can watch different versions and compare. Tip: even though it'll undoubtedly be a long-running movie, it'll probably be available in IMAX and 3D in the first part of its run.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 29 Nov , 2012 7:00 pm

Quote:
People felt CDs were too crisp, too clean. They preferred the warm fuzziness of Vinyl, and yes, even the crackles. That was what music sounded like. CDs seemed somehow sterile.
Just an aside, but I was surprised to hear that vinyl is becoming somewhat popular again. Our classical station now has an hour of "vinyl classics" where they broadcast the original record.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 29 Nov , 2012 8:16 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Actually, those people that felt there was something missing from CD's were not wrong. The specifications (set in 1982!) allowed for what was then believed to be the entire range of frequencies that the human ear can hear. Now, we know that although we can't hear sounds above 20 kHz, higher frequencies affect how we hear the lower ones, even if we're not aware of them. Check out this article: The World Beyond 20kHz
Quote:
The compact-disc standard assumes that there is no useful information beyond 20kHz and therefore includes a brick-wall filter just above 20kHz.
I know empirically that CD's cut off lower frequencies, too - my subwoofer is never triggered by CD's, but it is routinely triggered by LP's, SA-CD's, and DVD's. (I probably have it set too high, but it does prove the point)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Fri 30 Nov , 2012 1:03 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing The Hobbit. I think some local geeks will be gathering for the premiere. Im sure 48fps will look great to me as long as I don't have to watch it in 3D. I hate the glasses and have gotten a headache the three times I tried watching movies in 3D.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 30 Nov , 2012 10:43 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I'm finally getting excited about this. I might even go to the midnight première - fuelled by copious amounts of coffee, of course. :D

And if it turns out to be as good as Fellowship of the Ring, I'll probably spend the next two years obsessing :Q

Just went to cinemaclock and saw that David Tennant is going to be in it (yay!). So what role is he going to play? He's too tall for a dwarf, surely?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 30 Nov , 2012 10:45 pm

David Tennant? Really? I hadn't heard that. I did hear that Stephen Colbert is an extra. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 30 Nov , 2012 10:52 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Here's where I got my info: cinemaclock Montréal

Stephen Colbert? Wow :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 04 Dec , 2012 5:44 am

I got my tickets tonight! Friday morning at 10am. IMAX 3D. We're going with our friends (and our kids), so it's going to be a blast! :banana:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 04 Dec , 2012 2:38 pm

We are considering the IMAX 3D option... but my husband and I both have glasses. Is that going to work OK? :scratch:

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 04 Dec , 2012 5:13 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I put the goggles on over my glasses - seems to work just fine.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 04 Dec , 2012 8:20 pm

WARNING - THERE BE SPOILERS IN THE LINKS AHEAD

The first reviews are in, on Rotten Tomatoes http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hob ... d_journey/
(For what it's worth, the average rating from the professional reviews is 6.6/10)

If you haven't already bought your tickets, it sounds like choosing not to see it in 48 fps might be safer. That seemed to be a major negative for some reviewers. (complaints about real action looking fake in this format, etc.)

One reviewer who chose to see it at a slower speed still had what sound like reasonable criticisms.
http://badassdigest.com/2012/12/04/movi ... ctly-okay/

There are both more positive and more negative reviews at Rotten Tomatoes, but I'm having problems linking to them. You can get there from the Rotten Tomatoes page, though.

There are only 8 user reviews so far on IMDb, with an overall rating of 9/10.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/
Six people thought it was one of the best movies they've ever seen (but didn't necessarily say why), one reviewer rated it 7/10 (liked it, but didn't think it was a great movie), and one person hated everything about it.(6/10). The last two gave an analysis of what they liked, or didn't, but the 6/10 is pretty vitriolic - he/she hates Martin Freeman's acting, calls the music "cheesy" and thinks Galadriel is Elrond's "love interest." :roll:

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 04 Dec , 2012 9:21 pm
Aspiring to heresy

It doesn't open here until 14 December - is it already open everywhere else?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 04 Dec , 2012 9:21 pm

I'm planning to see it more than once, so the next viewing will be in the slower fps speed. (Or whatever--non-3D, non-IMAX.)

I'll check out the reviews.

Now what I'm trying to decide is if I want to go see all 3 LotR movies at the theatre on Saturday. It's only $25, but do I want to sit for that long?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 9  [ 177 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »
Jump to: