The Last Homely Site on the Web

Terry Pratchett!

Post Reply   Page 2 of 13  [ 246 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 513 »
Deumeawyn
Post subject: Re: Terry Pratchett!
Posted: Mon 31 Dec , 2012 2:28 am

Frelga wrote:
Did you hear that Pratchett said his daughter will take the Discworld over when he is gone?

Terry Pratchett confirms that his daughter will inherit Discworld from him
This could either way on the good.bad scale.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Mon 31 Dec , 2012 3:56 am
A green apple painted red

Too true. Right now, I peg it at "heartbreaking." :(

Also, here's the trailier to Troll Bridge. The link is to trailer I, but watch #2, they got Cohen perfectly.

http://youtu.be/8FeWEJk55to

P.S.: one of these days I'll figure out the youtube tag. :oops:

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Mon 31 Dec , 2012 5:00 am

Click the 'youtube' button and put the youtube url between the start [youtube ] and stop [/youtube ] tags?

Last edited by Deumeawyn on Mon 31 Dec , 2012 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Mon 31 Dec , 2012 5:01 am

Tried that, didn't work. :scratch:

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 31 Dec , 2012 11:13 am
Aspiring to heresy

Youtube is finicky, sometimes - occasionally you see links that start with https, and other times http. And sometimes youtu.be and sometimes youtube.com. The important thing is the "v" querystring variable - I find that the phpbb youtube tag only works if you use this format: http://youtube.com/watch?v=[put the querystring variable here].

I dunno - I've been picturing Cohen as older, and not as well-built. At least, no longer as well-built.

Edit: just watched trailer 2. Okay, that's more like him.

Who's the guy in trailer 1? A flashback to Cohen's youth?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 31 Dec , 2012 4:30 pm

Frelga wrote:
Inkling, did you read Dodger? What did you think? I didn't mean to say it was like Pyramids, only to peg the overall quality on the Discworld scale, with the footnote that I really like Pyramids.
I knew what you meant. :) I thought Pyramids was OK - not the greatest, not the worst.

No, I haven't read Dodger yet. I've been reading other authors, and also re-read bits of The Hogfather around Christmas. I wasn't in the mood for crazy killers, though, so ended up skipping parts. Dodger is on the "maybe if I find it in a used bookstore for cheap" list.

I have to wonder how inheriting Discworld will work out for Terry Pratchett's daughter. She may be a good writer, but everyone will be constantly comparing her work with his, at least for a while. It might have been easier for her to start something completely different.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sat 05 Jan , 2013 7:20 pm

Yeah, I feel a bit like Rincewind on this one - could be wonderful, will be dreadful.

Jude, yeah, I assume the first trailer is a flashback, or a prologue of some sort, to establish who Cohen was. The 2nd trailer is right out Kidby's illustration. :D

Found this interview with PTerry in the magazine Third Way from way back in 2003 on Google Books.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 18 Jan , 2013 2:09 am
Aspiring to heresy

That's a great interview, and shows why Pratchett is such a great mind :thumbsup

I'm nearly finished "A Blink of the Screen" - it has short stories from all periods of Pratchett's career, including one he wrote as a school assignment when he was thirteen. Actually, more than half of them are non-Discworld.

Here's an excerpt from a list of medical terms by Dr. Peristyle Slack, Ankh-Morpork Guild of Barber-Surgeons. When I read this, I couldn't help thinking how vison would have loved this:
Quote:
Scroopism

Many people know about Thomas Bowdler, who published an edition of Shakespeare's works with all the offensive bits cut out. Few remember Male Infant Scroop, who had an overwhelming urge to add rude bits to books and songs not originally intended to contain any. This began at quite a young age, with the scrawling of words like 'nikkers' and 'bum' in the margins of his schoolbooks (his problem was exacerbated by a lifelong inability to spell) but, after he received a large legacy at the age of 21, he was able to reprint entire books that had been 'scrooped'. These were substituted for the publisher's copies, which they otherwise resembled in every respect, when bookshop staff were not looking.

For Several months the only result was a noticeable upsurge in the sales of several titles. Things came to a head, however, when a Miss Epetheme Slaybell's small, privately published volume entitled Thoughts from a Country Garden won several highly contested literaray awareds, and was praised by a judge for its 'bold and controversial stance on the subject of primroses.'

Mr. Scroop died age 84, and is buried in Small Gods Cemetery, Ankh-Morpork. His tombstone, including the inscription, may be inspected by private arrangement with the head gravedigger, since in deference to public opinion it is kept wrapped in plain brown paper.
How I would have loved to read that to her over the phone. She would have laughed and laughed and laughed. *sigh*

There is also an essay on the Ankh-Morpork national anthem, and how it came to be written not by a native Morporkian, but by a visiting vampire.
Quote:
The Count, who visited many countries in the course of his travels, noted that all real patriots can never remember more than one verse of their anthem, and get through the subsequent verses by going 'ner hner ner' until they reach an outcrop of words they recognize, which they sing very boldfly to give the impression that they really had been singing all the other words as well but had been drowned out by the people around them.
It was set to music by Carl Davis for a BBC Radio 4 program on national anthems, and never played again for complicated copyright reasons. However, Pratchett notes that he thinks a version did end up online somewhere, noting that some people are such scallywags. So I immediately performed a search and found it, and now am sharing it with all of you! Remember, we never had this conversation.

Quote:
The lyrics of the anthem are as follows:

"When dragons belch and hippos flee
My thoughts, Ankh-Morpork, are of thee
Let others boast of martial dash
For we have boldly fought with cash
We own all your helmets, we own all your shoes
We own all your generals - touch us and you'll lose.

Morporkia! Morporkia!
Morporkia owns the day!
We can rule you wholesale
Touch us and you'll pay.

We bankrupt all invaders, we sell them souvenirs
We ner ner ner ner ner, hner ner hner by the ears
Er hner we ner ner ner ner ner
Ner ner her ner ner ner hner the ner
Er ner ner hner ner, nher hner ner ner (etc.)
Ner hner ner, your gleaming swords
We mortgaged to the hilt

Morporkia! Morporkia!
Hner ner ner ner ner ner
We can rule you wholesale
Credit where it's due."

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 18 Jan , 2013 7:03 pm

It's one of my great regrets that I never introduced vison to Pratchett. She said she was not interested in books about witches and magic, and by the time I finally decided to just send her the book already, she posted that she could no longer focus on reading. Pity. I still think of her as the more monogamous Nanny Ogg.

In other news, I came across this scholar-ish paper. The Golempunk Manifesto: Ownership of the Means of Production in Pratchett's Discworld. I'm not sure I agree with the premise, but it's an interesting take.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 18 Jan , 2013 11:37 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Frelga wrote:
It's one of my great regrets that I never introduced vison to Pratchett.
You certainly got her interested, though. She mentioned more than once that she was intrigued by some quote or other that you had posted, and he was definitely on her to-read list. Given more time, she would have gotten around to it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sun 20 Jan , 2013 1:11 am

I should have just sent the damn book. :(

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 01 Feb , 2013 1:36 pm
Aspiring to heresy

The sequel to the Pratchett - Baxter collaboration The Long Earth: The Long War - to be released 20 June

Am I the only one here that read The Long Earth?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 08 Mar , 2013 7:16 pm

This was posted on Google+ from the Nullus Anxietas
Quote:
The next Terry Pratchett novel will be called Raising Steam! Straight from Terry's mouth (and a couple of huge bits of paper).

He's reading up on trains.
And Lord Vetinari has invented a new torture. Called The Kittens...
So, not Raising Taxes after all. Although we did hear in Making Money that Vetinari needed Moist to get banks in shape for the Undertaking, so this could still be the same concept.

ETA: Also, Eric Episode 1 is playing on BBC Radio 4 here http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01r0zb9/. And it lets people outside the UK listen. :)

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sat 22 Jun , 2013 8:27 am

This just came up on Twitter.

Quote:
"@nadwcon: Exciting new book announcement! Sir Jack Dodger brings you a most excellent Guide to London! http://t.co/HTB2j0TcGl"

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 22 Jun , 2013 9:27 am
Aspiring to heresy

Could be interesting - it's not on amazon.ca or amazon.co.uk yet (I checked).

Have you read any of the tie-in books? I've got some of the maps, and all the volumes of The Science of Discworld (volume 4 just came out!)

I haven't got "Where's my cow?", since the entire text seems to be in "Thud!". Haven't checked out "The World of Poo" yet.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sat 22 Jun , 2013 2:58 pm

I have Nanny Ogg's cookbook, which is fun, and hubby gave me Wit and Wisdom.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Sun 23 Jun , 2013 11:27 pm

Frelga wrote:
... and hubby gave me Wit and Wisdom
Has your husband been talking to my husband, about gifts for wives? :suspicious:
(mine was also a gift from DH)

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sat 06 Jul , 2013 4:43 am

I don't know, but if they do, could your hubby hint to mine that I'd love the board game.
;)

This just in:
Quote:
Transworld Books (@TransworldBooks) tweeted at 4:30 PM on Fri, Jul 05, 2013:
BREAKING NEWS. We're thrilled to announce that Terry Pratchett's 40th #discworld novel #raisingsteam will be published October 24th 2013.
(https://twitter.com/TransworldBooks/sta ... 0178577410)

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 24 Jul , 2013 1:42 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Anyone else reading the Pratchett-Baxter collaboration, "The Long War" (sequel to The Long Earth)?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 26 Jul , 2013 12:16 am
Aspiring to heresy

And we have a date for Raising Steam: 29 Oct!

amazon link

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 13  [ 246 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 513 »
Jump to: