board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

New Years 2013

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Deumeawyn
Post subject: New Years 2013
Posted: Sun 30 Dec , 2012 1:23 pm

Anybody have any New Year plans? Any resolutions?

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject: Re: New Years 2013
Posted: Sun 30 Dec , 2012 4:10 pm
of Vinyamar

Weight loss. Again. :(

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Mon 31 Dec , 2012 2:25 am

I could use a little bit of that myself. I have managed to hold my own over the holidays with my walking, running, dancing, and other exercise.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 31 Dec , 2012 4:57 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I hate making resolutions because I never keep them. I do, however, like the new year for trying to get some control over my life again. That being said, I do need to lose weight and that means eating more wisely and exercising more often.

As for plans, I think we're going to our friends' house for a low-key celebration--games, food, movie, etc. We could go to a bigger party, but the girls didn't want to go. So I'm cool with just hanging out with our friends! That will be more fun for me anyway. :)

Freddy works both tomorrow and New Year's Day, so we can't get too crazy.

So what are you doing?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Mon 31 Dec , 2012 5:07 am

I'll be going out on a boat on the river with some friends to watch the fireworks. I'm pretty much ready to go, just waiting for my friend to arrive to pick me up.

As for resolutions, I seemed to have started early with quitting smoking and starting to exercise regularly. I got a better job that pays fairly good. I think I will be taking some more classes in the new year, but that will depend on if I can get my employer to foot the bill. I think they might.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 31 Dec , 2012 2:17 pm

Yes, you did start early with some things.

I hope the fireworks are awesome! I guess that really would fit with the season better for you guys. Have fun!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 01 Jan , 2013 6:12 am
Aspiring to heresy

I actually stayed up this year - first time in I don't know how long. And had some scotch and two glasses of champagne. :Q It's a good thing that I live in a city with viable public transit - one thing we have that Ottawa doesn't have.

Happy 2013 everybody!!!111 :drunk: :toast: :toast:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Tue 01 Jan , 2013 10:43 am

Happy New Year Jude! :)

The party on the boat and the fireworks were awesome! The new year got started with quite the celebration. It was afterward that things went weird. After we got off the boat at 1:30 AM, my girlfriend and I drunkenly and stupidly decided to take a trek into the city to see what sort of partying was going on at the pubs. We had some drinks at a place, but when we left at 2:30 AM, my friend stepped off the curb and fell, twisting her ankle really bad. I told her those heels were going to cause her pain.. I did... anyway, the paramedics came and she was transported to the hospital. They let me ride in with her since she asked them if I could. She didn't want to leave me in the city all alone. Anyway, she got all set and was released, and her brother came and gave her a ride home, but wouldn't give me one. I was left at the hospital. Bus service at that time of the morning was crap, so I ended up walking home, about 5k's. Had to walk barefoot much of the way as my shoes, though not outrageous heels, weren't really made for walking distance. Needless to say, I slept most of New Years away.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 01 Jan , 2013 3:00 pm

Yikes! Well, I'm glad you didn't have any issues when you were walking home. It sounds a little dangerous to me.

Jude, are you supposed to mix scotch and champagne? That sounds risky to me.

We did have a nice time at our friends' house. (I had one Harp lager if anyone is keeping track of the alcoholic beverage consumption.) We went outside at midnight and set off poppers and snapper things and blew our horns--iow, we were pretty obnoxious, but it was fun. It's snowy here, so it was pretty outside. We had some fun with the noise makers and trying to get them away from our husbands who were being highly obnoxious. (This was before midnight.)

So, anyway, now it's New Years Day, and I don't know what's on tap. Freddy works. I think my mom will make pork and sauerkraut, so we'll probably go there for dinner. Those are our exciting plans!

Happy New Year, everyone! :toast:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 01 Jan , 2013 3:51 pm
Aspiring to heresy

LalaithUrwen wrote:
Jude, are you supposed to mix scotch and champagne? That sounds risky to me.
I had one small glass of scotch and then later in the evening one glass of champagne, and then one more at midnight to toast in the new year. Does that sound risky?

Anyway, that amount of alcohol in one night is not likely to be repeated until next year, or until the next m00t :drunk:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 01 Jan , 2013 4:02 pm

Oh, I just meant mixing your drinks, not the amount. I'm not a skilled drinker, so I don't know what the rules are to avoid getting sick.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Tue 01 Jan , 2013 10:38 pm
Milk and kisses

Happy New Year! :toast:

My resolution is to try and get rid of 10 kilos (roughly 20 pounds). I was weighing myself to calculate the weight of my suitcases and nearly had a coronary. :Q

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Wed 02 Jan , 2013 12:04 pm
of Vinyamar

Deumeawyn wrote:
They let me ride in with her since she asked them if I could. She didn't want to leave me in the city all alone. Anyway, she got all set and was released, and her brother came and gave her a ride home, but wouldn't give me one. I was left at the hospital. Bus service at that time of the morning was crap, so I ended up walking home, about 5k's. Had to walk barefoot much of the way as my shoes, though not outrageous heels, weren't really made for walking distance. Needless to say, I slept most of New Years away.

Is her brother a complete Asshole?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Wed 02 Jan , 2013 2:00 pm

Alatar wrote:
Yes he is. That and he doesn't like me very much because I refused to date him a couple years back. I had no issues walking other than I was tired. I felt safe the whole time, whereas had I stayed in town there were some drunk creepazoidish sorts around. Could have called a cab. Should have called a cab. But I got some good exercise and burned off some of the alcohol.

It's 2013, the first year since 1987 that has 4 unique numbers. May it be a good one! :)

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Wed 02 Jan , 2013 2:02 pm
of Vinyamar

Guess you're pretty happy with that dating decision now!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Wed 02 Jan , 2013 2:05 pm

Yeah, but I knew he was an asshole then too. The good news is my friend is all right. Had an air cast for a bit, but she is walking fairly normal again.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 02 Jan , 2013 2:58 pm

As far as the alcohol count goes -- one and a half glasses of red wine, and a brandy bean. :)

I think the rule about mixing drinks is a myth - at least, in terms of getting drunk or having a hangover - and it's the total amount of alcohol that counts (and how quickly), not the type. At least, so says a Google search :) and logic.
I wouldn't think it unusual or dangerous for someone to have a glass of wine with dinner, and a whiskey or cognac later in the evening.
Quote:
Sounds like a pretty clear case of it.
Doesn't matter if he likes you or not - leaving you in the lurch is a nasty thing to do.

My sympathy on the long barefoot walk on city streets! Been there, done that, once when I lost a heel (back when I still wore heels).

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 02 Jan , 2013 3:19 pm

Yes, I meant to say something about the brother. He does sound like a total jerk. :x

What is a brandy bean?

Okay, so the whole mixing alcohol thing is a myth?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 02 Jan , 2013 3:53 pm

A dark chocolate candy filled with brandy, in the shape of a bean. I'm not much of a hard liquor person otherwise, but the amount is small and mixed with good chocolate, so I do like them.
They also come in the shape of bottles (either brandy or other liquors). Or fruits, which I sometimes hang on the Christmas tree. My favorites, though, are brandy cherries - cherries soaked in brandy then covered in dark chocolate.

Quote:
Okay, so the whole mixing alcohol thing is a myth?
Well, some sites did think some people might get an upset stomach/ indigestion by having different types of drinks at the same time. Like eating different foods that don't mix well.

But it does make sense. Alcohol is alcohol and seems likely to be absorbed and metabolized the same, whether it comes from beer or wine or hard liquor (except, of course, that some drinks have more concentrated alcohol content than others).

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 02 Jan , 2013 7:28 pm

Alcohol counts as a toxin that must be removed from your system. If your toxin removal system is already heavily taxed like mine is (from Lyme disease) then if you drink any alcohol at all you risk overloading it completely and being very, very sick afterwards until the system can catch up.

This is the first New Year's celebration that I've understood this and thus didn't try to drink any alcohol at all. :)

I have no resolutions for this year.... I have no bad habits left to give up. Nothing I need to do better. I plan on getting into better health, but I'm already doing everything I can about that.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: