Not that golden thing!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject: Re: The Hobbit
Posted: Mon 23 Dec , 2013 12:40 am
Aspiring to heresy

[SHOW]
I think I liked it more than AUJ. I could have done without all those action sequences that violate the laws of physics. In fact, I think it could have been vastly improved by cutting out 20 - 30 minutes of useless fluff.

Continuity error: the Dol Guldur quest seems to contradict the scene in FOTR where Gandalf is just becoming aware of trouble stirring in the east, as he leaves Bag End right after Bilbo's party.

The scene with the dwarves in their old hall was confusing - I didn't really get what they were trying to do with all that machinery. The book was so much more scary at this point: just wandering around in the darkness, expecting to encounter the dragon at any moment, but he keeps being elusive. This scene needs a Hitchcock to bring out the suspense and silent terror of this moment. I thought this part of the movie was a failure.

But there was much that I loved: Mirkwood, the spiders, Lake Town, the dragon, almost any scene with Martin Freeman...

I didn't mind Tauriel, in fact I liked her. I guess I'm just not a purist :D

Was it my imagination, or was the Master of Lake Town deliberately modelled on Charles I of England?

I agree with Thorin: Thranduil was a despicable, dishonorable elf. A quasi-Thingol.
Oh, and note to the cast: Thráin does not rhyme with rain. Read the appendices, would you?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 23 Dec , 2013 4:41 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

It sounds like we really agree on it, with the exception that I haven't made up my mind if I liked it better than AUJ. Smaug was so awesome that I might have to concede, but I'm just not sure.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 23 Dec , 2013 8:11 am
Aspiring to heresy

It strikes me that there is very little in Peter Jackson's LOTR & Hobbit work that is mediocre: for me, there are moments so beautiful that they practically bring me to tears, and moments that are just plain awful, and very little in-between.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Areanor
Posted: Tue 25 Feb , 2014 5:06 pm
Sharpe-sighted

I just love Smaug - he's absolutely gorgeous :)

My 13-year-old daughter and nearly all her friends are swooning wildly for Aidan / Kili :drool:

And my personal eye- (or better: ear-) opener was when I got hold of the DVD - after seeing the dubbed version in cinema - and watching the movie first time in english - Thorin's voice just hit me right in the belly. :help:

With Smaugs Desolation I'm on Lali's side - while I think it's rather ridiculous, the kids love seeing Bombur doing "Orcbowling" and Legolas doing - well - stuff, only Legolas does... :roll:

I went right back home and showed LotR to my daughter - and as expected, she also loved Legolas doing the Oliphaunt ride... :rolleyes:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 25 Feb , 2014 7:43 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Off-topic, but: Hi Areanor!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Wed 26 Feb , 2014 2:36 am
A green apple painted red

What Jude said. :) :welcome

Don't we have a waving smiley?

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Areanor
Posted: Wed 26 Feb , 2014 2:39 pm
Sharpe-sighted

:wave: this one ? :)

somehow I fell off the board and it took some time to climb back, but it's nice to see you all again :grouphug:

I can't believe I was standing in front of my daughter's school today for an hour and discussing with three thirteen-year old girls things like "will Tauriel die?" "I don't want to see Kili die" "What is this west?" "Valar? Maiar? Silmarillion? Explain!"

Did anyone see the extended version of Unexpected journey? I loved the scene with the necklace there - made me think of the Nauglamír right away - and I loved telling the story to these kids - I felt like such a nerd..... =:)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 26 Feb , 2014 6:10 pm
Aspiring to heresy

That's so cool that you get to discuss The Hobbit with your daughter and her friends :D

Have they read the book? Do they know who lives and who dies?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 27 Feb , 2014 2:41 am

I did see it, Areanor. I need to re-watch it, though, because I'm blanking on the scene with Nauglamír. :scratch:

I've enjoyed discussing it with Sarah (my younger daughter, 14 y.o.) because she's read The Hobbit and LotR. (She hasn't tackled the Sil yet, and I'm not sure she will.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Thu 27 Feb , 2014 8:36 am
of Vinyamar

LalaithUrwen wrote:
I did see it, Areanor. I need to re-watch it, though, because I'm blanking on the scene with Nauglamír. :scratch:

I've enjoyed discussing it with Sarah (my younger daughter, 14 y.o.) because she's read The Hobbit and LotR. (She hasn't tackled the Sil yet, and I'm not sure she will.)
Its in the Extended Edition prologue Lali, when Thror is about to present Thranduil with box and then closes it, with some comment about a "price that was not paid". Lovely touch.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 27 Feb , 2014 2:41 pm

Ah. I vaguely remember it now.

Still, I obviously need to re-watch it. I think I'm under direct orders to do so from someone here, right? Right? ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Areanor
Posted: Mon 03 Mar , 2014 3:04 pm
Sharpe-sighted

Yes, you are. Do it. Now. Why aren't you sitting in front of it, hm? Do it. Now.

:salmon:

:devil:

Yes, Jude, they've read the Hobbit - LotR not yet, though one of her friends has just finished FotR, as her mum said, she's not allowed to watch the movie before she has read the book ...

And they all hope that PJ might let Kili survive.... :doh1:
One of them tried to argue with me and said that her dad had told her that PJ often lets people die in the movies that don't die in the books...
I only could think of Haldir there, but I don't believe anyone else dies that doesn't have to, or am I mistaken? :scratch:

At least they are prepared - they are going to take a lot of handkerchiefs with them :devil:

My daughter dug in YouTube and found an old comic series from 1977 or so - she told me that nearly all the dwarves died there - but I have yet to look into that.

But we also found the "Unexpected Briefing" and "Just another day in Middle-earth" of the New Zealand Air there - that was worth a laugh :love:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 03 Mar , 2014 4:05 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Areanor wrote:
And they all hope that PJ might let Kili survive.... :doh1:
Well, maybe he'll let Kili live in exchange for killing Haldir. You know, Haldir gives his life for Kili in some sort of religious allegory. :Wooper:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 03 Mar , 2014 10:15 pm

Oooh, direct orders! Yes, ma'am! :D

I cannot imagine PJ passing up an opportunity to kill someone. Change the circumstances of it? Yes. Do away with it altogether? No.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Areanor
Posted: Thu 06 Mar , 2014 2:46 pm
Sharpe-sighted

Well, we'll see :devil:

I've got three giggling teenage girls sitting on my sofa right now, watching extended AuJ on bluRay for the fourth time (I think). They've all been to SD four times, too - I only managed to go three times....

I definitly have to persuade my husband to get a beamer and a big screen :drool: though I think I'll need some more towels then for the girls.

By the way, talking about girls... I absolutely think that Dori is a female dwarf. While watching Mark Hadlow being so fussy and mothering that suspicion is growing stronger every time I see the movies.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 9 of 9  [ 177 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9
Jump to: