board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Oh sleep, why dost thou leave me?

Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 61 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jude
Post subject: Re: Oh sleep, why dost thou leave me?
Posted: Tue 08 Oct , 2013 1:20 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Looking back earlier in the thread, a couple of years ago my sleeping problem stopped when I added a blanket...

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Tue 08 Oct , 2013 8:29 pm
A green apple painted red

And that's why hot water bottles were invented.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Thu 01 Oct , 2015 1:17 pm
You are hearing me talk

It's that time of year again, and I'm once again routinely waking up at ~4am and staying awake. In my case at least, this is clearly connected to the onset of autumn.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 01 Oct , 2015 1:29 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Why does autumn cause you to wake up so early? It should make you hibernate! :scratch:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Thu 01 Oct , 2015 1:47 pm
You are hearing me talk

Don't know. My earlier speculation, that my circadian rhythm settles into a pattern of waking me 9 hours after sundown during the summer, is still my only idea.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 01 Oct , 2015 5:11 pm

That is an interesting theory. I wonder if this article might be helpful in some way.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/53710/wh ... alarm-goes

[ img ]

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Thu 01 Oct , 2015 6:57 pm
The best things in life are not things

Well, I suppose it explains why, when I know I need to be up particularly early, to a specific deadline, I will keep waking up 2 or 3 times during the night, well before that alarm time! Very frustrating when I want to have a decent night's sleep leading up to the early rise... :x

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Thu 08 Oct , 2015 3:12 pm
You are hearing me talk

I've been taking melatonin before bed, and it seems to help. I don't like doing that because (a) I don't like taking any drugs, and (b) I especially don't like taking ones that aren't rigorously tested and subjected to strict manufacturing protocols, but I don't like being exhausted all the time either. It leaves me somewhat groggy in the morning, but I've been sleeping until 7 every day since I started.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Thu 08 Oct , 2015 5:33 pm
You are hearing me talk

Speaking of sleep and autumn, another thing that always happens to me this time of year is that I start having dreams that I'm starting a new semester at college and moving into the dorms, but my roommate doesn't show up and I don't recognize anyone, and then I realize I'm older than everyone else and married and have children and a job and there's no way I'm going to be able to do it all or make enough money to pay for it.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 08 Oct , 2015 7:11 pm

At least your anxiety dreams acknowledge you've grown older. :) My standard one involves realizing too late that I've registered for a few classes that I forgot to attend, can't remember their location or what books I was supposed to read, and there might have already been an exam I missed, and I may have already lost so many points that the best I can get is a "D" . . . It tends to show up in the fall, too. My guess is that it's memories of beginning-of-the-semester anxiety, and cues of fall weather and students heading back to school.

I completely understand the uneasiness about the manufacture of unregulated drugs, and feel the same myself. btw, I think there's also been some research into the effects (and timing?) of exercise on resetting the circadian clock, too. No idea about the details, but it might be worth looking into.

Nienna, I agree completely. The worst is when you know you'll have to be between 4 and 5 am for some reason, and you barely sleep.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Thu 08 Oct , 2015 10:06 pm

Quote:
My standard one involves realizing too late that I've registered for a few classes that I forgot to attend, can't remember their location or what books I was supposed to read
Hey! Stop stealing my dreams!

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2015 12:36 am

Ha! Given our ages, I'm pretty sure I dreamed it first. ;) Maybe I should demand royalties.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2015 2:52 pm

I've dreamed that one many times.

You could try splitting the melatonin pills in half, Dave, if they leave you groggy in the morning.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 28 Oct , 2015 12:34 am
Aspiring to heresy

So I've got one of those "smart" thermostats that try to save fuel by lowering the temperature at night. I wonder if that's why I've been waking up at 3 in the morning?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 28 Oct , 2015 1:52 pm

I lower our thermostat at night (or it just naturally gets colder since we have the heat set so low and the woodstove heat dissipates). Should you try lowering it yourself before you go to bed so you have the approximate low temperature as you're falling asleep (to get the blanket ratio right)? Or have an extra blanket handy to throw on as you get colder throughout the night?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Wed 28 Oct , 2015 4:03 pm

I generally sleep with open windows, and it only bothers me if I feel my feet freezing. Maybe socks or an extra blanket would help? Can you program your thermostat to not be THAT smart and give it a higher minimum temperature?

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 28 Oct , 2015 4:07 pm

We have a "smart" thermostat with our new super-efficient HVAC system. It starts to raise or lower the temp a couple of hours ahead of whatever time you have scheduled, so the system doesn't have to work as hard. I've had to adjust its wake and sleep times seasonally, just so the system starts and stops when we want it to. Still, 3 am seems a little early for heating to kick on.

btw, we also have to make sure only "heat" or "cool" is on, so the thermostat doesn't try to actively cool the house down at night in winter.

Edit: Cross-posted, didn't see that it's just not keeping it warm enough for you. (I tend to wake up when the system kicks in to warm the house up.) You can definitely program our thermostat to whatever temps you want.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 28 Oct , 2015 8:25 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Yes, I suppose I should tackle the instructions that came with the thermostat... :blackeye:

Hypothesis #2: maybe Bud's been waking me up by being extra-clingy.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 29 Oct , 2015 3:10 am

Shouldn't that take care of the too cold temperature?

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 29 Oct , 2015 6:55 am
Aspiring to heresy

It means I have to get him to move when I turn over. But I think that hypothesis was wrong, actually.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 61 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: