board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.

Post Reply   Page 124 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Jump to page « 1122 123 124 125 126138 »
Frelga
Post subject: Re: Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.
Posted: Tue 12 Mar , 2019 8:27 pm
A green apple painted red

Utah is like anti-Florida. When it's Florida, it's "They did what?" With Utah, it's "They haven't done what?"

This is a very loose definition of news, but I feel safe in saying that the real problem in this woman's life is not the house plan.

People in open-concept homes are realizing the walls were there for a reason
Quote:
“In our old house,” said Didonna, a financial analyst, “I’d come home and make dinner and my husband would be watching TV in the other room, and a good portion of the evening we’d be apart.”

She got her togetherness, all right, in a glorious new house in Millbury. Now when she cooks and her husband watches TV, he’s in full view. Relaxing. While she works. “Frankly it’s annoying,” she said.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 13 Mar , 2019 12:57 am

Probably not. :)

But I could do without the open plan fad myself. They're a nuisance when one person is trying to do something in the living room and another person is doing something noisily incompatible in the kitchen. And the whole house seems noisier in general.

Edit: This story, sadly, is not unusual in the U.S., though the amounts are. The little twit involved in the Covington high school incident is looking for a big payout from a jury. First he sued the Washington Post for $250 million and now he wants $275 million from CNN for defamation. I guess apologies, retractions and a national platform where he's been lionized by right wingers as an innocent little angel are not sufficient. Other subjects of news reports have suffered far worse without looking to profit from it..
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... ation-suit

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 14 Mar , 2019 6:50 pm

I designed our house with the open plan and like it. It comes in handy when you need a big room for something. Just shove all the furniture against the walls and you've got a decent stretch of open floor. My husband once ran a judo class in there that way for visiting nieces and nephews. :)

This year we are using the extra space to put a twin sized mattress on the floor for our ancient (10 years old) giant dog. We couldn't do that if there were walls.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 15 Mar , 2019 2:35 pm

You couldn't do that in ours. There's a kitchen counter separating the kitchen space from the living room.

A couple of titles caught my eye this morning. :)

https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... ombies-who
Quote:
Tel Aviv installs 'zombie lights' for distracted pedestrians
Quote:
“We cannot force them to take their eyes out of the smartphone and into the road,” Tomer Dror, head of traffic management for the Tel Aviv-Yafo Municipality, told the AP. “We need to find ways to put the road into their eyes.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... rmont-town
Quote:
Goat officially sworn in as honorary mayor of Vermont town

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 18 Mar , 2019 8:23 pm

Now that's just silly- implying that a town of 2500 doesn't need a mayor. The town I'm technically part of has one tenth that population and we have a mayor. A few years ago, the vote was tied between two people, 50 votes for one and 50 for another. We actually had to revote that year! I'm pretty sure the mayor doesn't actually get a salary, but he has the title. And presumably a few responsibilities.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 19 Mar , 2019 1:21 pm

Actually, they do have a mayor. The goat seems to be a sort of auxiliary mayor. And he (she?) does have some responsibilities. :)

What the heck, I often think a goat could do better than half of our actual politicians.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 20 Mar , 2019 10:40 pm

Speaking of actual politicians...

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/03/devin- ... m-cow/amp/
Quote:
Devin Nunes sues Twitter for parody account pretending to be his mom and cow
Quote:
“In her endless barrage of tweets, Devin Nunes’ Mom maliciously attacked every aspect of Nunes’ character, honesty, integrity, ethics and fitness to perform his duties as a United States Congressman,” the court filing says according to CNN’s Andrew Kaczynski.

...Nunes’ case is not likely to move forward in court. The law clearly outlines parody and satire is allowed when it comes to public officials, as Saturday Night Live shows each week.
The two best parts?
The parody accounts, which few people knew existed, have exploded in popularity. Devon Nunes' Cow apparently has more Twitter followers now than Devon Nunes. And there are spin-offs like The Ghost of Devon Nunes' Mom popping up.

Nunes apparently cosponsored HR1179, Discouraging Frivolous Lawsuits Act

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 21 Mar , 2019 1:25 am
Aspiring to heresy

Did you see Stephen Colbert's report on this? He created his own parody account, named "Devin Nunes' skin".

As of right now, there's only one tweet on it:
Quote:
Still thin.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 21 Mar , 2019 5:48 pm

:)

Not one Tweet from Nunes brain, though. Not too surprising.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 21 Mar , 2019 9:13 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Here's the newest meme.

Google "Florida man" followed by your birthday and then post your results.

Here's mine:

Florida man allegedly had sex 4 times with a miniature horse named Jackie G.

:Q :damnfunny:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Thu 21 Mar , 2019 11:48 pm
You are hearing me talk

"File shows plea set for Florida man in pipe bomb mail case"
Quote:
NEW YORK – A Florida man charged with sending pipe bombs to prominent critics of President Donald Trump is expected to plead guilty next week.
Wait; wasn't this supposed to be funny?! :rage:

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 22 Mar , 2019 12:50 am

This has gone viral so now the search brings up links to stories about this challenge.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 26 Mar , 2019 12:41 pm
Aspiring to heresy

And, just for fun:

Willkommen zu Edinburgh? British Airways flight goes to Scotland instead of Germany

(actually, I think the headline should be "Willkommen nach Edinburgh". Where's Silwen when we need her?)

The shots of Ryanair and Mr. JB twitter-trolling each other are amusing.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 26 Mar , 2019 1:41 pm

You beat me to it. :)

Here's another unusual (though less amusing) story:
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4358 ... ouse-floor
Quote:
GOP lawmaker quotes Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' on House floor while condemning Dems, media over collusion
It was Mo Brooks of Alabama and he actually quoted two substantial passages.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 09 Apr , 2019 3:15 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 61511.html
Quote:
Gallons of petrol poured on baseball field and set alight ‘to dry it quicker’ after rain

‘A poor decision was made’

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Tue 09 Apr , 2019 7:49 pm

I always feel the need to know what they had thought was going to happen. How did they envision this project would go?

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 10 Apr , 2019 12:54 pm

Frelga, one word in your sentence doesn't belong there - "thought." ;)

What I want to know is how many beers they had before they came up with this brilliant plan.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Wed 10 Apr , 2019 4:36 pm

Yours is probably a more pertinent question. :D

Even so, there had to be some point where they said, "OK, we'll pour gasoline over the field and then....???"

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Wed 10 Apr , 2019 8:49 pm
You are hearing me talk

This is what happens when the writers become aware of the meme:
Florida man threatens to destroy town with turtle army

("Indialantic" sounds like a joke name too. I guess that's where the turtles are?)

And since it's Florida, this only qualified for footnote status:
Quote:
In another recent Florida incident, Philip Kolbe Harris, 19, of Fort Myers Beach is accused of filming himself abusing an alligator

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 11 Apr , 2019 12:36 pm

Quote:
Even so, there had to be some point where they said, "OK, we'll pour gasoline over the field and then....???"
My guess - and it's just a guess - is that someone was copying people burning weedy fields to prepare them for crops. Apparently, that doesn't work with baseball fields, if they'll have to truck in a bunch of new topsoil and not just replant.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 124 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1122 123 124 125 126138 »
Jump to: