board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.

Post Reply   Page 127 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Jump to page « 1125 126 127 128 129138 »
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.
Posted: Mon 08 Jul , 2019 7:39 pm

The part about selling the organs is more disturbing to me. :shock:

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 10 Jul , 2019 7:01 pm

I assumed that was as false as the rest of their proposal. :)

https://www.euronews.com/2019/06/26/it- ... man-police
Quote:
Police in the Brandenburg lander, north-east Germany, revealed on Wednesday that they had recently cautioned a man for riding on a motorbike wearing only a helmet and sandals.

In a tongue-in-cheek social media post, they joked that he must have been attempting "the Naked Man" seduction technique from the How I Met Your Mother television show. They also said when questioned about his state of undress, the man replied: "It's too hot!"

"We could not disagree with that, but asked him to put on his pants and then let him continue his ride," the Brandenburg police explained.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 12 Jul , 2019 2:39 am
A green apple painted red

This seems the case of the crime being its own punishment.

Here's a cute one from Chicago - a five-foot alligator moved into a lake in a city park.

As Humboldt Park Gator Watch Enters Day 3, Alligator Bob Says The Creature Is Getting Comfortable

Here's my favorite part:
Quote:
At one point, a Chicago Police officer started blasting the “Jaws” theme song from his squad car, eliciting laughs.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 12 Jul , 2019 12:04 pm
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 12 Jul , 2019 1:35 pm

I absolutely refuse to own any of those contraption. I can't think of a single problem it would solve. And while I can't stop corporations and government from spying on me, asking me to pay them to do it is a bit cheeky, don't you think?

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 12 Jul , 2019 2:28 pm

We've got one of those Alexa thingys. My husband often asks it what the weather forecast is, or what the temperature is outside but that's about it.

My son's name is Alex, so we initially renamed it "Computer"... but it kept triggering from things said on TV shows. So we renamed it "Echo" and I don't think it's been accidentally triggered yet under that name.

I think it's pretty useless, but my husband seems to like it.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 12 Jul , 2019 2:43 pm

I never believed they weren't uploading recordings to Google, etc. and I refuse to have any conversation in front of them that I wouldn't want recorded and played back on television. My in-laws bought one and, at first, they thought I was strange for objecting to having it on. I've noticed that, since then, it has disappeared from their house and they've mentioned the privacy risks.

What worries me is that some hospitals have been putting them in patients' rooms. No way I'd want one of those things listening there.

I've also taped over the camera on my laptop.

Of course, smartphones can be hacked, too. Some people in China take the batteries out of their smartphones when having political conversations.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 17 Jul , 2019 8:03 pm

I've been putting tape over computer cameras virtually since they first came out with them. Not because I thought anyone was spying on me, but because I've always hated having a camera pointed at me. The fact that no one was behind the camera doesn't really figure into my emotional response.

And if anyone ever listens to what is said on our Alexa gadget, they'll get hundreds of hours of audio books.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 19 Jul , 2019 1:38 pm

In connection with the recent Facebook group's joking "plans" to storm Area 51 and see the aliens ("If we naruto run, we can move faster than their bullets.")...

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... t-makes-it
Quote:
Bud Light offers to give free beer to 'any alien that makes it out' of Area 51

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 23 Jul , 2019 7:23 pm

Inspired by the Area 51 event,

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... ea-51-raid
Quote:
Thousands plan to storm Loch Ness the day after Area 51 raid: 'Nessie can't hide from us all'

Alas, authorities in the UK don't seem to have much more of a sense of humor than the US military.
Quote:
"There's really no need to 'storm' Loch Ness, given that it is open to the public 24/7, 365 days a year," Gemma McDonald, a spokeswoman for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution — which monitors Loch Ness — told CNN.

Loch Ness has an average temperature of 42 degrees and can have towering waves, and “conditions deteriorate quickly,” making it hard for a rescue mission if people go too far trying to find the monster, McDonald added.
I swear, these days official spokespersons seem to assume that people are all really stupid. Um, guys, it's called a joke?

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 24 Jul , 2019 5:09 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I have always cherished a secret hope that Nessie is real. I kind of wish people would be stupid and see if she's there.

;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 01 Aug , 2019 12:35 am

I have a soft spot myself for Champ, the Lake Champlain monster. ;)

Here's the one political party I would consider joining. :)
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... -in-nevada
Quote:
A Nevada CEO filed a lawsuit after his application to create a political party called the "WTF Party" was rejected, The Nevada Independent reported Wednesday.

And in other weird political news:
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... her-behalf
Quote:
Marianne Williamson supporters organize 'occult task force'
Quote:
The person organizing the task force told The Washington Post anonymously that a group of 13 chaos magicians, witches and energy workers were doing synchronized “gestures” to help their candidate gain more visibility in the presidential race and more airtime during Tuesday's Democratic debate.

“The whole orb gang community is tapping into the power of memes to reflect back on, and multiply, the sort of pulsing undercurrents of our collective unconscious,” the person told The Post in an email.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 01 Aug , 2019 6:17 am

aninkling wrote:
In connection with the recent Facebook group's joking "plans" to storm Area 51 and see the aliens ("If we naruto run, we can move faster than their bullets.")...

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... t-makes-it
Quote:
Bud Light offers to give free beer to 'any alien that makes it out' of Area 51
Ah, so that's why all the aliens opted to stay inside.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 01 Aug , 2019 12:04 pm

Quote:
Ah, so that's why all the aliens opted to stay inside.

Indeed

:D

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 06 Aug , 2019 1:09 pm
Aspiring to heresy

French hoverboard inventor flies over the English Channel
Quote:
Looking like a superhero, Franky Zapata successfully completed the famed 35-kilometre journey in just 22 minutes Sunday morning, reaching speeds of up to 177 km/h on the flyboard that has made him a French household name.

The wind in the Channel, especially gusts, presented a major challenge, he said, adding that he bends into gusts but is destabilized if the wind quickly dies. It was, he acknowledged, no easy feat — especially given the physical endurance it requires. He said his leg muscles were "burning" during the flight.
The original article has a picture and a youtube video. Check it out!

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Thu 08 Aug , 2019 10:51 am
The best things in life are not things

Amazing! :Q

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 09 Aug , 2019 4:45 pm

I hope he had fun...

These guys are just straight embarrassment at this point.

USA TODAY: A 'straight pride' organizer in California accidentally called his organization a 'peaceful racist group'.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 10 Aug , 2019 3:51 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I can't even with those morons, Frelga. :roll:

Jude, that hoverboard was cool! Whoa!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 15 Aug , 2019 1:29 pm

https://www.wired.com/story/null-licens ... cket-hell/
Quote:
How a 'NULL' License Plate Landed One Hacker in Ticket Hell
Quote:
In late 2016, Tartaro decided to get a vanity license plate. A security researcher by trade, he ticked down possibilities that related to his work:... “The idea was I’d get VOID for my wife’s car, so our driveway would be NULL and VOID,” Tartaro says.

...That setup also has a brutal punch line—one that left Tartaro at one point facing $12,049 of traffic fines wrongly sent his way. He’s still not sure if he’ll be able to renew his auto registration this year without paying someone else's tickets. And thanks to the Kafkaesque loop he’s caught in, it’s not clear if the citations will ever stop coming...

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 23 Aug , 2019 2:11 pm

It really was the Nigerians. :Q

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/08/ ... 50782.html
Quote:
US charges 80 people, mostly Nigerians, in $46m internet scam

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 127 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1125 126 127 128 129138 »
Jump to: