The Last Homely Site on the Web

Self-service tipping

Post Reply   Page 5 of 5  [ 94 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Jude
Post subject: Re: Self-service tipping
Posted: Fri 04 Sep , 2020 10:37 am
Aspiring to heresy

Is tipping considered proper in Australia?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Posted: Fri 04 Sep , 2020 11:32 am
Try to stay perky

No, tipping is not assumed. People generally tip if the service is a deal above that which business civility dictates, but people may also tip if they're feeling particularly happy, or generous, or flush with funds, or showing off - or, increasingly, in recognition of the difficult conditions.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 18 Mar , 2021 10:34 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So I hear that the U.S. is considering a $15 minimum wage. If that goes through, will it include restaurant workers? And if so, will you still be expected to tip?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 19 Mar , 2021 5:15 am
A green apple painted red

So far all these if conditions evaluate to false.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 19 Mar , 2021 2:05 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Yeah. We'll see if it ever happens.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 26 Jan , 2023 4:09 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Does anyone get grocery delivery? I did for the first time yesterday. Just because with the new foster dog, I can't really go anywhere at the moment except for walks.

It was one of my local grocery stores (Loblaws) and the delivery service is operated by DoorDash. When checking out, a $5 tip for the driver was added by default, with the option to manually remove it. This is before the driver actually does anything, so they know in advance whether you've tipped or not before they deliver your order.

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone else here get their groceries delivered?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Thu 26 Jan , 2023 11:42 pm

I did it for the first time a few days ago thanks to the covid. It was through Doordash too and yup, the tip got added by default. As usual, I was annoyed by it but paid it anyway.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 27 Jan , 2023 12:48 am

I do pickups now, but we did use grocery delivery a lot. It was a lifesaver when FIL was alive, as his care person didn't have a car, and if they ran out of something midweek, husband would have to drive over after work.

I tip. I even tip the restaurant when I pick up a to go order. I figure the couple bucks will go much further for the staff than they would for me.

Mind, this is the US, where waitstaff may be paid below the minimum wage on the assumption that they will be tipped, and delivery drivers are treated as contractors and also not subject to minimum wage. Maybe Canada has a better system.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 27 Jan , 2023 1:37 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I tip, too, like Frelga. It wasn't that long ago that both of my girls were in the food service industry, and Sarah's girlfriend does a few of those delivery services for people.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Fri 27 Jan , 2023 1:31 pm

One that bugs me is massages. My back gets very tight and achy from working on a computer all day so I get a monthly massage to help with that. Massages aren't exactly cheap, but despite that there is still very strong pressure to add a tip on top. And since tips are expected to be based on percentage for some baffling reason, it ends up being an additional $15-20, which I find galling.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 23 Feb , 2023 2:17 pm
Aspiring to heresy

As tip amounts rise, many Canadians say they'd rather skip the tip — and some restaurants agree
Quote:
Customers intent on leaving tips at Vancouver's Folke restaurant tend not to get very far.

"They'll hide it under napkins or under their plate," said co-owner Pricilla Deo. "If we catch it while they're still here, we just hand it back to them and politely remind them that we're a no-tipping restaurant."

When diners do make it out the door without tips being noticed, she says the money is used to fund staff dinners.
I find it amusing (and incredible) that customers seem desperate to leave a tip even after it's been made clear to them that it's not necessary :D

Quote:
Folke introduced its no-tipping policy when the vegan restaurant opened in June 2022. Deo says employees earn well above minimum wage ($15.65 per hour in B.C.) and get full benefits. All overhead costs, including salaries, have already been factored into the menu prices, so customers simply pay the bill.

"It was really important to us to have an inclusive work environment where everyone was compensated fairly," said Deo. "It's not our customers' responsibility to pay our staff properly. … It's our responsibility to make sure that our staff are taken care of."
Quote:
Two big factors are driving customers to up their tips, suggests Marc Mentzer, an organizational behaviour professor at the University of Saskatchewan's Edwards School of Business.

First, he says, the pandemic has generated sympathy for the hospitality industry which suffered big losses during lockdowns.

Second, said Mentzer, the pre-programmed tip amounts on electronic credit and debit card readers may be goading some people into tipping more.

"There are percentages that are pre-programmed into the device," said Mentzer, noting it can be awkward to navigate the self-select tip option. "Even more awkward if I have to ask the server, 'How do I leave a non-standard tip?'"
Also, possible pitfalls:
Quote:
Another hurdle is that many restaurants may not be ready to shift to a no-tipping model, fearful of the consequences.

Lazy Daisy's owner, Dawn Chapman, supports such a model, but said she would only adopt it if it became the norm across Canada. That's because, in order to boost wages, Chapman estimates she would have to raise menu prices by 20 per cent.

"It's too risky," she said. "My worry is that people would come in and say I don't wanna pay $15 for a breakfast sandwich. I'm gonna go to the place where I can pay $11 and choose a 10 per cent tip."

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 23 Feb , 2023 2:36 pm

That last bit of logic baffles me. "If we were to pay enough to make up for tips, the prices would go up." Sure, but the cost of the meal won't, if most people are already tipping 20%.

I'd really rather see the whole price upfront, and not the American custom of adding tips and tax at the end.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Thu 23 Feb , 2023 4:06 pm

There is a weirdness to the mentality but psychologically, I bet she's right. I suspect that to a lot of people seeing $15 on the menu and later tipping 20% "feels" cheaper than seeing $18 on the menu with no tips accepted. You don't see it all at once so it doesn't feel as big. Kinda like how $9.99 "feels" cheaper than $10 to many people.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 23 Feb , 2023 8:41 pm

I'm sure you are right, but I also suspect that once the transition is made, the new way would just become a new normal.

I still want to know how Europe manages to pay a living wage, and still have restaurants serve better food, in larger portions, with good service, for the same or smaller price. In Portugal, we were told that we could tip 5% if we really wanted to, but 10% was too much. And the few times when we didn't have the cash on hand and left no tip (there's no line for the tips on the credit card receipt, except in the most touristy of traps), we got no dirty looks, the way we would in the States.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 5  [ 94 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Jump to: