board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Robin Hobb

Post Reply   Page 3 of 4  [ 66 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 4:36 pm

Replying to myself again but I finished the book. It took me longer than I'd planned, mostly because I was busy with other things.

But I finished it. And it's as soothing an ending as Sam's return to the Shire. It was not fully obvious, and I'm glad again that Hobb knows to take her time with seemingly boring everyday matters, instead of lumping all into a short epilogue.

I cried. Fitz has earned this outcome. It's not fully happy, but as he says himself: "I am content."

Hobb may have looked to Tolkien for that way to end the book, I think. It's a similar love for the calm family life. And the last sentences spoken by both reluctant heroes, Fitz and Sam, say the same thing.

I love this book.

I will start Assassin's Apprentice tonight before bed, or steal a page or two if I can in between the birthday party.

Mmm. :)

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 10:23 am

Yes, I'm aware that I'm only replying to myself, but I just wanted to bump this up in case someone else showed up who was as taken aback as I was at the amazing way Royal Assassin ended. I knew it would happen but I was still gasping. Now I've started Assasin's Quest, and Fitz is learning how to be a man again...did I mention how much I LOVE that Hobb takes her time with things? Another author might have given his recovery two paragraphs, she devotes pages and pages to it, and isn't at all boring.

[ img ]

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Amarie
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 6:33 pm
Ice Nymph

Sorry, Ro. I will reply to your posts later. :hug: Been quite busy. Just let me wake up first. ;)

Will be seeing windmills, tulips and meh love on June 22nd. W00t!

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 3:34 pm

No worries. :P I didn't mean to nag or anything I just got so excited with that bit when he joins Nighteyes and AROOOOOOOO!!!! It's so good it hurts.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
enchantress
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 4:09 pm
Sorcery in Action

Ohhh... now that you're on the Farseer Trilogy I can comment 'cause I read those :D:P

Amarie, I too enjoyed Fitz's character on many levels... dont get me wrong, I didnt hate him... but he annoyed me :P... found him whiney and the indecision and his self-locking of himself into problems that (in my eyes) could have been surmounted was driving me nuts. :P Suffice it to say if I was Molly I would have torn my hair out...

I like these books... much better than the bulk of fantasy out there... but they dont quite approach the "Kay level" for me :P :oops:

...and I really find her drama of terrible things happening over and over and over again not so believable... sometimes it seemed like a really tedious (but not scary) nightmare to me...and the sudden reversals of things and bringing in resurrection of all things to suddenly turn everything around... just didnt jibe with me.

The characters are great though :) And the books were fun and very engaging to get through.
Im still stuck on Mad Ship... gotta get the book from the library again... but no time...

I come back later... I slept 40 minutes altogether in the last 48 hours... :blackeye :Q Gotta love school.

Falling into Autumn... :)

Profile Quote
Snowdog
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 1:46 pm

I read the Assasin's Apprentice awhile back and enjoyed it alot.
I keep looking for the other two in that Trilogy when I browse the various Half-Price bookstores around the area.

Profile Quote
enchantress
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Nov , 2005 6:18 pm
Sorcery in Action

Hobb has a new book out ! I just realized the other day being in the library... its called Shaman's Crossing... I think its part of a trilogy too... anyone know anything about this? It doesnt seem related to the other worlds?

Falling into Autumn... :)

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Dec , 2005 8:08 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

I read it and it's very different. it took me a while to really get into it because i had got used to the world of Fitz and the Fool.

But it has all the Hobb potentials to be a good book :)

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 Jan , 2008 11:51 pm
You are hearing me talk

<crossposted from TORC>

*bump*

Sure I'll talk about Liveships, since I've been reading it and should finish tonight.

First of all; good, good books. With one notable exception, the consensus in the Hobb threads here seemed to be that Farseer and Tawny Man are fantastic, while Liveships is no better than ok. I disagree; Liveships is a different story told in a different style, but I found it every bit as satisfying and elevating as Farseer (I haven't read Tawny yet). It is certainly a more complex story with more complex themes, structure, and characters, and it dares to dwell on mundane topics like politics and economics that are typically anathema in fantasy; but my opinion is that Hobb pulled it off with flying colors. I use the word fantasy, but this is not your hackneyed sword-and-sorcery novel. As in Farseer, Hobb has managed to be almost totally original; effortlessly avoiding the twin dangers of cliche and deliberate anti-cliche. In fact, aside from the conceit of the Liveships, it is quite possible to forget you're reading fantasy for much of the first two books and instead imagine it's some sort of historical fiction set in a slightly off-kilter version of our own world. The occasional reminder that this is a universe where magic and potentially sinister forces lurk beneath the surface and where you don't know all the rules is unsettling and discordant in a pleasing way that reminded me of the first acts of The Village and many of Steven King's novels. The disorientation subsides as more and more of the world is revealed and Hobb drops hints that allow you to situate the story with respect to Farseer.

HERE THAR BE SPOILERS
I don't want to dwell on specifics too much, but I'm still trying to guess how Liveships will ultimately tie together with Farseer and Tawny. The obvious ties are the two Elderling cities, the two prophets, and twin destinies that involve awaking dragons. The only explicit material link I've encountered so far was the (surprising) revelation that Amber had known and loved Fitz at one point. I'm still trying to puzzle out exactly who she is--the fact that she remembers him with a broken nose means she must have known him after he "died", which rules out both Molly and the woman Shrewd had chosen for him (whose name I don't remember). But the fact that she gave the carving an axe means she must have known something of his history too, which rules out casual traveling companions. Since Amber has so much in common with the Fool a.k.a "The White Prophet", I'd been assuming she'd turn out to be a prophet of some other color; now I'm wondering if the Fool might have undergone another one of his transformations and they might not be one and the same. I suppose she could be Starling, Ketricken, or maybe even Patience (which would explain Jek); but any of those would require a heck of an explanation.

As a footnote: The idea was not wholly his own, but in Dragons of Eden Carl Sagan argues that there is a fundamental connection in the human psyche between dragons, sexuality, and death. The way Hobb has woven these three things together in both Farseer and Liveships (and presumably Tawny as well) makes me wonder whether she's heard the same thing or whether she's an example of it.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Mar , 2008 10:59 am
of Vinyamar

I'm reading the Soldier Son Trilogy at the moment. Very different, but loving it.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Mar , 2008 5:02 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Starting the Liveship trilogy as soon as I finish American Psycho. I can't wait to immerse myself in that world again!

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject: Re: Robin Hobb
Posted: Fri 17 Oct , 2008 1:13 am
wencherific

*kick/bump*

I read the first book of the Liveship Trilogy and quite enjoyed it. Borrowed from Ags. Took that back when I went to Holland this summer and brought the second book back with me which is waiting on my bookshelf. :Wooper:

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Fri 17 Oct , 2008 11:16 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I've been wanting to read the LS trilogy, but I have way too much reading for college! :bawl:

*mutters* stupid English literature degree with it's stupid 5 books a week on top of lectures and music assignments */mutters*

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Mon 19 Nov , 2012 11:29 am

I know I'm 5-7 years late posting here, but I did read Assassin's Apprentice a couple years ago. Wanted to read the next book, but never found it until much later. I have it, just haven't read it yet. I do like Fitz.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 19 Nov , 2012 3:35 pm

The first book is mostly just set up for the rest of the story.

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Tue 01 Sep , 2015 2:25 am
Legendury speller

I just ordered the first three books in this series (The Farseer Trilogy). I always try to buy hardback but the second book in the series is proving elusive.

Anyone reading the latest trilogy with these characters? Seeing positive comments on it got me to order the first trilogy before trying the new stuff.

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Tue 01 Sep , 2015 12:48 pm

Sadly, years later, I have yet to read Royal Assassin or Assassin's Quest. I did find the paperbacks of the Liveship trilogy at a yard sale and got them, so it looks like I should get started on the 2nd book.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Tue 01 Sep , 2015 10:50 pm
Legendury speller

Well the first book came in today so I'll have to start into it as soon as I finish the book I'm working on now. :)

Pierce Brosnan

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Wed 09 Sep , 2015 3:48 am
Legendury speller

Deumeawyn wrote:
Sadly, years later, I have yet to read Royal Assassin or Assassin's Quest. I did find the paperbacks of the Liveship trilogy at a yard sale and got them, so it looks like I should get started on the 2nd book.
I flew thru the first book and really enjoyed it. :) I can see why Robin Hobb has become a popular author.

If you have the second book in hardback, it's frustratingly expensive. I try to pick up books in hardcover because they are usually much easier to read and if they end up being worth repeated reading they are more likely to last. :) I'm having to settle for a paperback so far for book two. It just came in the mail today but I'm finished a WWII memoir before I can delve into it (I shouldn't start it this late....)

In other news, I ordered a book of Amazon from a private seller not realizing they were in Sweden. It came in the mail today, beat to heck because they just put in a plastic bag to ship it to me. :scratch: :doh1: :nono:

Pierce Brosnan

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 09 Sep , 2015 9:25 am
Aspiring to heresy

Did the product description say the book was in good condition? If so, you have grounds for a complaint and possible refund.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 4  [ 66 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: