board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Calling all creative folk!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 13  [ 243 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 513 »
Sidonzo
Post subject: Calling all creative folk!
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 3:34 pm
Everything Is Numb

I would like to start a thread for everyone on here who likes to create. I know that a lot of you like to write and draw. Well, not only would I like this to be the place where we link to our stories or pictures, but to discuss the creative process itself.

I also want this to be a place for all types of creations: handcrafts, sewing, woodworking, historical costuming, jewelry-making, smithing/metal-working, toy-making, calligraphy, photography, amateur film-making, acting, ect...(I'm sure you guys can think of some I've left out). I have always been a creative person and I would like to make this thread for like-minded friends.

I thought some topics to discuss could include the writing/designing process, projects we are currently working on, what was it like to be a creative child and how to develop creativity in children, teaching others who would like to learn our craft, our favorite projects that we've made, and more (whatever you guys can think of). Of course this is also the place to post pictures of your projects thoughout their creation and when they are finished. Stories and pictures in progress could also be posted here or linked to if the artist wishes for input or ideas. This could also be the place to go if you are having writer's block (or any artistic block) to talk about your difficulty.

These are just some ideas I have for this thread. Everyone who wants to participate could add anything else they want to discuss. Everyone is welcome, even people who aren't artistic. I think we could also talk about art in general, and eveveryone has an opinion on that! I doubt I am the only artisic person on the board and I hope all of you guys join me for discussion and fun.

~Sidonzo

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 5:04 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Great idea Sidonzo. :D

I'm currently working on a colored-pencil drawing. I've been scanning the various stages of it and this might be a great thread to show it to people. Or I may selfishly create my own thread. :P We'll see. I think it's great to have some sort of thread where people can show of their art.

I could dig up some pictures of cross stiching that I've done since I'm proud of them considering the amount of hours I put in. :)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 5:34 pm
WYSIWYG

Lovely idea for a thread, Sidonzo! :)

I'm always bustling at something or other and hardly ever finishing anything - I get distracted by being addicted to this internet-thingy! ;) :D

For now I just want to say thanks to Eru for the lovely drawing of the Eärendil-emblem, which came very handy for me a few weeks ago - I took the liberty to use it to make a cross-stitch pattern to make a birthday card for a friend, as it was the biggest version of it that I could find (the ones on TORC are too small and blur when you try to enlarge them)! :D
I took a piccie of the card, will see it when I transfer the latest pics from the camera to the PC tomorrow. :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 5:37 pm
Insolent Pup

I sometimes do this "create" you speak of. I have actually been meaning to write the second act to one of my plays, but I'm lazy.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 5:49 pm
Gloriosus

Swell idea. For me, the word "creative process" comes from "processing (e.g. meat, vegetables); you get the client's briefing which is mostly something like "let me sell my product in myriads, let the customers accept its exaggerated price, and let them become true friends and loyal to the brand" + "btw. We have only a teensy weensy tinkle of money for it which will all be thrown to Heidi Klum, so do you think that a website with no advertising and drive to web will suffice?" + "we would like to pay you on success rates" + "there I have this splendid idea, I would like to see this realised".

Somehow, one is capable to invent a good idea from that. A really good idea. Innovative. Excellent. Funny.

The client laughs, says "it's funny" and does everything to destroy the fun. Then he melts down budget so the excellence is gone next, then saves on innovation. Without need, these parts were just textual approach and placement, but no matter. They differ from his usual housemade advertising haggis so it must be cut.

The campaign is launched and immediately not a success.

The client complains and demands a cost cut. Then he changes to another agency. "A creative agency compared to you" he trumpets in your ears. You see the output half a year later, it is only half as bad as the Iraq war. You read a statement by the client's CEO about "big immovable ad agencies".

Well, that's the creative process for me. :)

– – –

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 6:46 pm

Interesting truehobbit! :) I have even a larger version as that one was reduced to fit in my sig. Do you have a program that makes cross stitch patterns for you?

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 7:05 pm
That Weird American

Lets see...writing a book?

Actually, in terms of creating objects, what I'm working on becoming active in is stuff that goes with archery. For example, I need to get ahold of some ping-pong balls to make whistling arrows, the big fad my group is going through. Another thing is creating novelty shoots...figuring out ways of spoofing with people. On the more significant aspects I'm also going to be learning how to do some leatherwork, quivers and such, from one of my fellow archers. Eventually I'd like to get into making arrows and bows...

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 7:28 pm
WYSIWYG

Eru, yes, I have a pattern making software, but I find it terribly difficult to get it to do what I want it to do.
The idea is that you feed it a pic and it transforms it into a pattern - yeah, well, in theory it does that. Practically, what you get is either too elaborate or too much reduced to be halfways usable.
So, what I usually do, is that I use the manual design feature to put the basic lines and structures into the grid, then print that out and add the details with a pencil. That seems to be the fastest method to get anywhere with that particular software (maybe that's because it was a quite a cheap software).
Do you do needlework, too?

Guru, how do ping-pong balls make whistling arrows? :Q

Oh, and, Sidonzo, what are you creative at (apart from creating adorable little girls ;) - she's really lovely!)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 7:32 pm
That Weird American

TH, you first make two holes for the arrow to go through, then, around the front side of the ball, make several small holes. We've still to figure out whether bigger holes are better, or holes that are further back on the ball, but the end effect is, when the arrow is shot, the airflow over those holes makes a nice whistling sound. It's actually the modern equivelant of a traditional style of message arrows. They actually used wooden whistling arrows for sending messages.

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Rowanberry
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 8:15 pm
Can never be buggered at all

TH, Sidonzo is quite a good naivistic painter (at least I see her style as naivism).

In my younger days, I used to draw a lot (quite decently) and write some stories and poetry (mostly crap). But then, life got in my way :neutral: and today, my creativity is very much restricted to doodling during dull meetings and some roleplaying in the net.

But, I still want to believe that I have some creativity left, and wish to be able to take up the pencil or paintbrush again some day...

People, you and me, are not trusted. The right doesn't like us because we don't do what we're told by our betters, and the left doesn't like us because it secretly thinks we would be on the right given half a chance and a lottery win. And both think we should not make our own decisions, because we might make the wrong ones. ~ Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 9:32 pm
Another bright red day

Guruthostirn-that's wicked awesome, especially the leatherwork! And to actually make bows and arrows. . . wow.

I used to do a lot of drawing, especially life drawing/portraiture, and some watercolours. I also did calligraphy, which I still enjoy doing when the need arises.

Now, though, I pour all of my creativity into theatre. Acting, lighting, directing, singing, the whole nine yards. I do between 3-5 productions a year, and that doesn't really leave time for much else during the year besides schoolwork. :roll:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
theduffster
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 10:03 pm
Damn those Amish!!

Rebecca should be here soon. She loves creating. Painting, stained glass frames, scrapbooking....

Here's 2 paintings she's done for me:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Gob: Return from whence you came!!

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 2:03 am
Everything Is Numb

Eruname, your sig picture was one of the things I was thinking about when I started this thread. I really like it and I bet it made a beautiful cross-stitch picture, TrueHobbit.

If you ever want to post or link to your plays, TED, I'm sure there are some people who would be interested in reading them. Mummpizz, how do you feel about art that is not for sale? What about people who create just because it is a part of them and not to make money? I don't know about others on here, but I have always felt driven to create and I have sold very few things and those only when someone asked me to make something for them.

Guru, that's one of the things I was hoping for in this thread, that we could all learn something new. I really like the idea of the whistling arrows. I am fascinated with historical creations especially, so I think learning to make bows, quivers, and arrows is great. It's really something to make historical weapons from scratch and then use them (hopefully not on people ;) ).

TrueHobbit-I like to draw (colored pencil illustration mostly), crochet
(I am good enough at this that I can design my own patterns), knit, cross-stitch, stitch plastic canvas, sew (especially historical patterns, but I'm just learning), bead, make jewelry, make toys, and role play (I know some people might not considered that art, but it is certainly a creative outlet for me).

Rowanberry, I disagree with your thoughts about not being too creative. You are a great role player and that is because you are a good writer. If you ever start drawing again I would like to see a picture of Aradriel (Is that rp game still going? It wasn't last I checked, but it has been awhile.)

MaidenoftheShieldarm, where do you partcipate in theater (in school, or a community production)? I think theater is wonderful because it combines so many of the arts together: acting, singing, playing instruments, make-up, costumes, painting backdrops, ect...

TheDuffster, those pictures that Rebecca painted are beautiful. I especially like the second one. I've always get a special feeling from pictures of gateways, gardens, and cottages, especially when I can get a glimpse of wild country in the background. Are those in your home?

I forgot to add music making in my list above. Are there any singer/songwriters here? Or anyone that composes or plays instruments (I used to play trombone in school, but not anymore.)? Or anyone that makes and then plays their own instruments? :Q

~Sidonzo

Last edited by Sidonzo on Thu 24 Mar , 2005 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
theduffster
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 2:19 am
Damn those Amish!!

Sidonzo, yes, those doors are in my kitchen. One is the basement door, the other opens to a bathroom. I remember our contractor seemed so disappointed with my choice of plain doors, but I had plans! It took Rebecca months to do the bottom door, it's a copy of a Mary Engelbreit painting. The top door I paid her extra to finish it on a schedule. She did and got the bonus! And it's painted with glow-in-the-dark paint. The effect is very nice in pitch-black: seeing the design glowing softly if very beautiful.

[ img ]

Gob: Return from whence you came!!

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 2:59 am
Triathlete

Here's the link to my photo cache, with Tlingit (northwest coast Indian) art and 3-D quilts. http://photos.yahoo.com/laure8anna .

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Donernilwen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 3:35 am
B77's Crazy Christmas Elf

Great thread Sidonzo. :) Looking through your creative idea list in the first post, I've noticed that most of the things I have done or am doing at the moment.

I've always liked doing Jewlry. A while back I really got into designing making funky handbags and had I more time, I would have gone into it for some extra money. Heaven knows I had some offers. :bang:
Costume making has always been fun for me too.Last year I helped design some costumes for an indie film based in Indiana (haha! I know it's lame but I don't care. It's hillarious in my sleep deprived state ;) ).
I haven't done much sewing lately, but my dream costume which I'd been designing for about a year in advance finally came into being last fall. I wish I had a decent picture of it. Maybe I'll get one and post it here later. :scratch

My real passion at the moment is filmmaking. My best friend and I have written a comedy which we are filming right now and are releasing on may 5th....that is, if we can get it done on time...

I've had various teachers I know, offer to wirte me a letter of recomendation for some kind of fashion/costume design program, but I don't like having a lot of restrictions or deadlines on my costume work.
I always knew I wanted to get into something creative or within the arts for college, but I think I've really found what I'm going to do this time. I'm going to go into Media arts, film (mostly centering on directing or writting) this next winter term. I'm VERY excited and love what I'm doing.

On the other hand....I can NOT draw or paint for the life of me. :oops:
I've seen some of your guys art and scetches and I am extreamly jealous. You are all such talented people. Makes me sick! :P

-Don

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 4:37 am

truehobbit wrote:
I have a pattern making software, but I find it terribly difficult to get it to do what I want it to do.
The idea is that you feed it a pic and it transforms it into a pattern - yeah, well, in theory it does that. Practically, what you get is either too elaborate or too much reduced to be halfways usable.
That's what I've run into as well. To make a nice looking picture, the pattern was incredibly complicated and used something like 75 colors! No way I'm doing that! The only needlework I've done is cross-stitching though I'm interested it crewel (if that's how you spell it!). I've never made my own patterns though. I've always bought kits. Here's the most difficult one I've completed. I'm working on a harder one but have gotten burnt out on it right now.

Duffy, I saw a picture of the first door before but not the second. The second is amazing! Rebecca did a wonderful job. I so want to see a picture of the first door glowing in the light! :D

Thanks Sidonzo. I'm glad people like my sig pic. A lot of the credit goes to Nin for buying me some great colored pencils. I guess you could consider her to be one of my patrons! :)

I'm a musician. It's my job in fact. I teach individual trumpet lessons to about 30 kids. I travel to their school and give them lessons during their band class. I'm also proficient at string bass and was somewhat with violin but have let that one go. :oops: I also teach one student french horn and another baritone. I've been told I have a good singing voice as well (classical music though...can't do pop or musicals). I had to learn how to play all the rest of the instruments as well but can only do so at a beginner level.

I've also composed a few peices of music. One of them was to set Galadriel's song "I Sang of Leaves" to music. If I can ever figure out a way to get it online, I'll share it. :)

laureanna: I'd seen your art before (there were links to your moot photos but I took a gander at your art and Alaska photos). I was wondering what those 3D things were! Your Indian art is also very interesting!
Donernilwen wrote:
On the other hand....I can NOT draw or paint for the life of me.
I used to say that too (and still kind of say it...I can only copy someone's work or use it as a reference...absolutely cannot come up with something on my own) but I kept giving it a try and eventually I produced something nice. This is my first watercolor that turned out well:

http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/eruname/rose.jpg

That gave me the courage to try more.

I'll post those pics later although I'm sure most everyone has seen them. ;)

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Donernilwen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 5:16 am
B77's Crazy Christmas Elf

Whoa Eruname! That's beautiful.

I guess you can develop any talent as long as you work at it and practice. hehe, it would just take me a whole lot longer then most to learn. ;)

-Don

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 5:20 am

I think I just lucked out with it. It just happened to turn out good and I don't know how I did it. :P

I bet with some art training you'd do fine! Some of my cousins took classes in oil paintings and were able to produce some pretty cool stuff, so you never know what you have in yourself! :D

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 5:30 am
Garrulous Griffon

I used to dabble in drawing and painting a lot more a few years back! Here's two bits of drawing I recently did for a TORCer / B77'er.

My watercolour work is a bit sloppy especially on the two horses, but I was aiming for a "loose" look there, trying to capture the energy of a horse, not the precision and beauty of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/ ... kHorse.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/ ... dHorse.jpg

I want to get time to sit on my butt and just draw, again. I have a few half-completed sketches and paintings in my home that I want to get back to. I used to illustrate the novel I'm trying to write as I went along, and I got fairly good at drawing figures due to that. I want to keep that skill, not lose it through lack of practice.

I believe drawing is something ANYBODY can learn to do. I decided at age 14 that I wanted to be able to draw, after watching a classmate churn out amazing drawings. So I started by drawing from cartoons, and progressed up from there. The way I draw and paint now is the result of about 7 years of concentrated practice, and then about 5 more of just loafing and drawing occasionally :D

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 13  [ 243 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 513 »
Jump to: