board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

OK, that didn't work. Um, help?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]
Eltirwen
Post subject: OK, that didn't work. Um, help?
Posted: Fri 01 Apr , 2005 4:19 am
Bored Silly

Knew that title would get you in here! :devil:

Anyways, to the real subject of this thread: I'm in a film theory class (which I took so I can participate better in m00bies) and we have a research paper. I'm doing mine over Lord of the Rings. Of course. So, it's due in five weeks, and we just now got told specifics. I'm thinking of doing it over LOTR as an adaptation, easy I know.

So, I would really appreciate any help, ideas, suggestions, etc. :D Please?

Last edited by Eltirwen on Fri 01 Apr , 2005 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Searching for my sanity...

"A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - Strictly Ballroom

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Apr , 2005 4:27 am
Triathlete

Take a look at the TORC META Movie thread, stickied to the top of the Movies forum, especially some of Tele's threads. Some wonderful stuff there.

***looks around timidly***You mean I need to take a course to talk to m00bs? You should have told me that several thousand posts ago! oh - and PJ is the best director evah!

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Eltirwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Apr , 2005 4:35 am
Bored Silly

I did need the class. I still don't understand some of what Tele talks about :Q

You seem quite knowledgeable to me, but I'm just some Texan from the sticks who knows nothing about good cinema, apparently. I'm hopelessly conditioned by blockbusters, apparently.

It's helping me understand the terminology, but it really makes me feel hopelessly plebeian. I have no taste for higher cinema, apparently. I'm amazed this guy even likes LOTR - he seems to hate most Hollywood films.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Apr , 2005 4:42 am
Another bright red day

Elti, if you're looking for paper topic idea, all you'd really have to do is browse around m00bies for a bit to find ten dozen. From Jnyusa's Modernization of Hope thread to . . . gosh, just about any of the serious threads there. Even something like analyzing the MOS scene versus the book and what it says about honour, mercy, etc. Sounds like an interesting glass. Good luck with the paper! :)
laureanna wrote:
***looks around timidly***You mean I need to take a course to talk to m00bs? You should have told me that several thousand posts ago! oh - and PJ is the best director evah!
*You* certainly don't, Laureanna. You're one of the scarily intelligent m00bs already.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Queen_Beruthiel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Apr , 2005 6:15 pm

13th post down in this thread: http://forums.tolkienonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=84933 has a whole batch of threads about adaptation.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Apr , 2005 6:20 pm
b77 whipping boy

no, pay no attention to any of that, just read all the stuff I wrote. That's the only truth over there. :D

Or if there's no length requirements, you could go with Title:LOTR, was it a good or bad adaptation

Then In big letters on the first and only page, "Bad."

NOTE: This would most likely only work if handed in today.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Queen_Beruthiel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Apr , 2005 6:37 pm

Down boy!

This thread was also developing an interesting discussion on adaptation until it was sabotaged, and we kinda lost interest:

http://forums.tolkienonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=86369

Profile Quote
Eltirwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Apr , 2005 11:09 pm
Bored Silly

All hail the almighty Meta Moobie Forum! That's gonna take days to go through :Q

Hal - It has to be 10 pages long. I think I need more than "bad" :D That might be my conclusion, though - I seem to be developing purist tendencies that show worse each time I watch the movies. Drives my best friend nuts :D

Queen B - I can call you that, right? Thanks - I do wish I'd seen what Tuor posted, though.

Mossy - wanna take the class for me? I swear, there's got to be more to good cinema than French films! :help: We did watch a John Wayne movie one week :D

I've gone through some of the meta-threads, and it's only depressing me more when I look at the current front page in Movies. Oh well - that's why I did this here, not there!

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 12:37 am

Elti the much more intelligent then she gives herself credit for wrote:
I'm amazed this guy even likes LOTR - he seems to hate most Hollywood films.
Yet another piece of evidence that the LOTR films are not (repeat, NOT) typical Hollywood films. ;)

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 12:45 am
b77 whipping boy

Eltirwen wrote:
Hal - It has to be 10 pages long. I think I need more than "bad" :D That might be my conclusion, though - I seem to be developing purist tendencies that show worse each time I watch the movies. Drives my best friend nuts :D
Go with that. It will impress the professor that you will go against the mainstream opinion!!!!!

:D :cheerleader:

Seriously, though. Tolkien's concepts of Sub-Creation lend themselves to a remarkable adaptation. Any Adaptation will be successful provided it maintains the level of creation of the source material. I think this is where PJ ultimately failed. He provided a perfectly entertaining film, it was just not consistant with the sub-creation that Tolkien was responsible for.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 5:20 am
Marshmallow Toaster

Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:
Elti the much more intelligent then she gives herself credit for wrote:
I'm amazed this guy even likes LOTR - he seems to hate most Hollywood films.
Yet another piece of evidence that the LOTR films are not (repeat, NOT) typical Hollywood films. ;)
Dang it, V! I was just going to say that! :rage: I'd already copied Elti's quote and everything. :( ;)

[ img ]

[ img ]

It really doesn't. :neutral:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: