The Last Homely Site on the Web

Celtic Music

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 60 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Apr , 2005 1:38 am
Another bright red day

I have one and a half of Flogging Molly's CDs (long story), and I wouldn't say that all of their stuff is good. "Drunken Lullabies" has some fabulous songs, ie. the title track, "If I Ever Leave this World Alive," "What's Left of the Flag," "The Sun Never Shines (On Closed Doors)." I wasn't thrilled with the second album, though a few of the songs were good. I can send anything from "Drunken Lullabies" to people if they're interested in hearing more of their music. My cousin who introduced me to FM claims that the Drop Kick Murphies are better in this genre. (You are more than welcome to take this with a grain of salt, as it's coming from the self-proclaimed Händel fangirl. :roll: ).

Rune, I love Eileen Ivers! She's fabulous. As is the blue fiddle. :Wooper: I'm a big fan of Riverdance. When I was little, I wanted to be Jean Butler. (Heck, I still kinda do, for that matter.)

In fact, I love Celtic music in general. Can't point to any bands in particular, I just love it. :D All of it. Has anyone ever been to a ceìlidh?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Apr , 2005 2:58 am

tinwe, the CD is in the gentle hands of the postal service even as I post.

My son loves Drop Kick Murphy (Murphies?) just as much as Flogging Molly, so there's another endorsement.

Eileen Ivers is great. Other good fiddlers: Aly Bain, Kevin Burke, the late Johnny Cunningham and Mr. WampusCat.

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 9:37 pm
wencherific

Lalaith- I found this site for Lothlorien. :)

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~nick-cj/lothmain.html

As for Flogging Molly, I've only heard some of Drunken Lullabies and a couple of songs from other albums, but I've liked most of what I've heard. "What's Left of the Flag" has to be my favorite song of their's that I've heard so far. They have 4 different albums out....Within a Mile of Home, Drunken Lullabies, Swagger, and Alive Behind the Green Door. Well, maybe others, but those are the only ones I know about. I think that's it though.

They have them on Barnes and Noble's website and you can listen to snippets of the songs...

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/ ... ds2Pid=946

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Apr , 2005 12:59 am
Waiting for winter

Wampuscat wrote:
tinwe, the CD is in the gentle hands of the postal service even as I post.
Am listening to it right now and I really love it! It’s quite beautiful! Very peaceful, almost dreamlike. And the picture of you with your harp - that harp looks like one of the most gorgeous instruments I’ve ever seen! Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is a treasure.

Everyone - Wampuscat is really good!
Amrunelen wrote:
I also like <snip> Eileen Ivers (former fiddle player for Riverdance) who I saw at the Celtic Fling they have on the Renaissance Faire grounds here,...
I have one song with Eileen Ivers - she plays on a song called “The Fiddling Ladies” with Natalie Macmaster, Maire Breatnach and Annbjorg Lien on the Tears of Stone album by The Chieftains, my all time favorite Chieftains album. I don’t know Maire Breatnach or Annbjorg Lien, but I love Natalie Macmaster and highly recommend her album Blueprint, which was recorded with some of today’s greatest bluegrass musicians, including Bela Fleck, Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush and Edgar Meyer. If any of you are put off by the thought of Bluegrass, I’d suggest giving this record a listen to understand that it’s not just hillbilly music. These are some of the most talented musicians playing today, in any genre.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Apr , 2005 1:28 am
Another bright red day

Tinwe, I love Tears of Stone! :D I just mooched it from my dad recently. (he's a Joni Mitchell fanatic. I think that's the only reason he bought it.) Don't know Blueprint, though knowing my dad he has it somewhere. I'll have to look next time I visit him. :)

Wampuscat is a harpist? That's awesome! :D I've always wished I played the harp.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Apr , 2005 1:42 pm

tinwe: Thanks! I am honored! :oops:

I'll agree that my harp is one of the most gorgeous instruments ever. It was handmade by an outstanding instrument maker, Bob Cunningham of Decatur, Ga., out of mahoghany and spruce. When I have time, I'll post a photo of it.

Edit: Done!

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Apr , 2005 8:20 pm
wencherific

Ooooh, beautiful.

I love the way the harp sounds. :D Well, actually I haven't heard them that often, but what I did hear I loved. It's very soothing...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Apr , 2005 8:27 pm

As long as it's in tune, it's almost impossible to make a harp sound bad. A fact that has definitely worked to my advantage! :)

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 3:09 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Wampus, definitely cool! :) It is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks for the recommendations and links, everyone. You've now given me enough to keep me busy for a week (and my RL is crazy at the moment, so online stuff has to wait :( ). But I can't wait to check them all out and decide what my next CD purchase will be.

Anyway, it sounds like Drop Kick Murphys (ies?) or Flogging Molly might be right up my alley.

Maiden, I've never been to a ceilidh or a session. :( Our local Hibernian Society has sessions once a month or so, but I've never been brave enough to go.

Tinwe, I picked up a Natalie Macmaster CD at the library and liked it very much. :) I'll have to look for Blueprint. You know, I love bluegrass--if it's done well. I'm not fond of overly nasal singers or anything, but someone like...Alison Krauss? She's awesome; I think she has one of the prettiest voices ever.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 3:21 am
Another bright red day

Wampus, your harp is lovely! :)

Lalaith, you should try a ceilidh! They're really quite fun. Get up your courage, bring a friend and just. . . go! :D Seriously, I can't dance at all (at. all. In this year's musical, they gave me the one lead that required no dancing, and let me tell, there was a reason for that. ;) ), but it's so fabulous that it doesn't matter! Anywho, that's just my advice.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 4:02 am
Waiting for winter

LalaithUrwen wrote:
Tinwe, I picked up a Natalie Macmaster CD at the library and liked it very much. :) I'll have to look for Blueprint. You know, I love bluegrass--if it's done well. I'm not fond of overly nasal singers or anything, but someone like...Alison Krauss? She's awesome; I think she has one of the prettiest voices ever.

Lali
Oh, I agree about the nasally singers, for the most part. I’m not really much of a country music fan, and Bluegrass vocals tend to evoke country for me more than any other aspect of it. But I can’t help but like some of the old-timey Bluegrass songs by people like Bill Monroe and The Stanley Brothers - they don’t call it “the high lonesome sound” for nothin’ ya know? Allison Krauss is about 50/50 for me. She does have a beautiful voice, but some of her work borders too close on country for my likes.

If you want to hear Bluegrass that is exceptionally well done, there are two albums I would recommend to you above any others. The first is by banjoist Bela Fleck, who usually does jazz recordings with his band The Flecktones (jazz banjo - there’s a contradiction of terms if there ever was one, but he pulls it off quite well). It’s called The Bluegrass Sessions: Tales From The Acoustic Planet, Vol. 2. This is absolutely, without question, one of the best bluegrass albums ever made. The musicianship is just stunning. And it’s almost all instrumentals to boot. :)

The other is Nickel Creek’s debut album Nickel Creek. This is young band, all in their 20's, but the music on this album is quite beautiful, with a distinct Celtic feel to much of it. Plus, it has a Tolkien inspired song called “In the house of Tom Bombadil”.

But I absolutely insist that you listen to the Waterboys album I mentioned. There is no way that you cannot like this album. It really is that good.

Oh, and Wampuscat’s harp is lovely, isn’t it? But I wonder how a cat can play such a big instrument. She must have really long paws.
MaidenOfTheShieldarm wrote:
Lalaith, you should try a ceilidh! They're really quite fun. Get up your courage, bring a friend and just. . . go! :D Seriously, I can't dance at all (at. all. In this year's musical, they gave me the one lead that required no dancing, and let me tell, there was a reason for that. ;) ), but it's so fabulous that it doesn't matter! Anywho, that's just my advice.
We have our local annual Highlands Games coming up next weekend and I’m sure there will be a ceilidh or two. I can’t wait.

BTW, Wampuscat - I know you don’t play at the games anymore, but are you going? Maybe I’ll see you out there!

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 12:48 pm

I second the recommendations on Bela Fleck and Nickel Creek. Well worth hearing.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments on my harp. Tinwe, I had been thinking about going to the games this year, but I'm not sure we'll make it because of other commitments. Sunday afternoon I'm playing harp for a Hospice memorial service. It's possible we could go Saturday afternoon, but that's our wedding anniversary, so Mr. WampusCat might have other plans. I'll let you know if it looks like we'll be there. It would be a great place to meet!

Profile Quote
enchantress
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 3:33 am
Sorcery in Action

Bela Fleck rocks!!!!!

Mychael Danna who composes a lot of film music composes some celtic stuff amidst that... a lot of his work (not only the celtic) is very wonderful.

...and really, Im mostly here to *swoon* over Wampuscat's avatar...Its my dream to learn to play the harp one day and buy a beautiful one for myself (if Im well off, I suppose :(:P)...sooooo beautiful...and I love the way it sounds...Wampuscat, you should upload some of your samples online so we could all have a listen! :oops:

Falling into Autumn... :)

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 3:52 am

That would be cool, enchantress, but I don't have a web site (we keep talking about setting one up but never get around to it). I don't know if it's possible to attach it to a message somehow. If you are more techno savvy, let me know what's possible and I'll see what I can do. I certainly don't mind sharing samples.

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Jul , 2005 1:24 am
TTBK's cemmie

Just thought I'd bump this a bit! :)

I like Celtic music. I don't have much on disc, some odds & ends, The Corrs, the PBS recording of Celtic Woman... nothing really special.

Any suggestions on a "must have" celtic cd? Give me some ideas!

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 24 Dec , 2005 12:52 am
wencherific

Been finding/getting some new ones lately...Eimear Quinn, Cappercailli, Hevia, Galahad, Sinead O'Conner, and the list goes on. :D

and *bump*

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 24 Dec , 2005 2:09 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I don't know a whole lot about traditional Celtic music, but what I've heard I've liked. :)

As for more contemporary bands, I love Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphy's, and Buck-O-Nine. :D I have Drunken Lullabies and Swagger by Flogging Molly. I'd have to say some of my favorite songs of theirs are "Cruel Mistress" and "Devil's Dance Floor."

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 26 Dec , 2005 11:03 pm

Just got Great Big Sea's newest CD for Christmas. :love: It's really good, a much more traditional sound than their typical folk/rock fusion. If anyone gets a chance to listen to it, I highly recommend it.

Here's a link to their site where you can listen to some clips:

http://www.greatbigsea.com/themusic/thte.html

The Mermaid is about the only song I don't think I'll let the girls listen to; it's incredibly funny, but a wee bit naughty. ;)

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Post subject: Re: Celtic Music
Posted: Sat 30 Nov , 2013 2:23 am

I was looking for a Dr Who thread and came across this. Mediaeval Baebes isn't completely Celtic but they do some. I found a CD at the market in West End called The Huntress which I enjoy listening to. Now... back to search a Dr Who thread....

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Celtic Music
Posted: Sat 30 Nov , 2013 2:27 am

We were just chatting about it in the Hippo Lounge thread. Feel free to bring it up there, unless there is a dedicated Dr. Who thread. (I can't remember, since I'm relatively new to Dr. Who.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 60 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: