The Last Homely Site on the Web

Happy New Year!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 17 posts ]
truehobbit
Post subject: Happy New Year!
Posted: Fri 31 Dec , 2004 8:12 pm
WYSIWYG

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 01 Jan , 2005 1:09 am
I can't count but I'm cute

i had the *best* fireworks of a lifetime!!!!!! first class stuff. amazing!!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE!!!!!

2 am here and people are still blowing stuff up so no use in going to bed anyway with parties going on for at least another hour.

best wishes to you all

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 01 Jan , 2005 2:10 am
Gloriosus

Hah! A happy new year to all of you - and to a new year with no new PJ Tolkien stuff in the video shelves. Jiveo!

:cheers

– – –

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 01 Jan , 2005 5:41 pm
WYSIWYG

No new Tolkien stuff? You mean no extended extended edition?

Had a good time, too, very nice fireworks, very nice wine and Champagne, and of course, instead of going to bed when the bottle was empty, I went on TORC.

:cheers:

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 01 Jan , 2005 10:11 pm
Milk and kisses

Being offline most of the time means I´ve been TORC-less for most of the past 2 weeks. :Q

I have a life, and I´m scared.

Medics! Medics!

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
eärendil
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 02 Jan , 2005 1:15 am
citoyenne du monde

Happy New Year

Great party, lots of fun (though I got tipsy tonight and not last night : why am I always the one to drive???)

Bye bye 2004 welcome 2005

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Aglanor
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 02 Jan , 2005 1:23 am
Morituri Nolumus Mori

W00t!!1

Happy New Year everyone!! :mrgreen:

Those who texted: I was annoyingly out of phonecredit, so I'll text later. Forgive poor Aggie...;)

My New Year was very simple. Spent it with parents, sister and a friend of my sister. After the clock hit 0:00, I went upstairs and continued watching movies and playing games till 4:00...:P

"The moon reflects in her eyes,
And tears fall down like stars.
Her gentle kiss goodnight;
Her dagger stuck in my heart.
My love broken and betrayed
And my eyes are closed tight,
As death now does us part."

A Rune engraved on my heart...

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 02 Jan , 2005 9:23 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

I think I got whiplash ... from watching the fireworks out of the window and from the TV at the same time :shock: :LMAO: Man! I'm actually almost sorry we did not head down to the river. It was spectacular
.. but then... one cannot have *everything*, aye? And as I know from previous years - we would only have ended up walking all the way back. Forget about finding a bus, let alone taxi.
:LMAO:

We ate too much, drank a bit too much ... nothing new there. But why did they have to start one of my fav movies at 2.30am? :roll: Getting to bed finally at 5 - I am too old for this kinda stuff :shock:

Happy New Year to all of you - may it bring you lots of happiness, health and sucess :mrgreen:

:hug:

Profile Quote
Canamarth
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 02 Jan , 2005 11:42 am
Mistress Archer of Dale

Happy New Year!!!

Started New Year's Eve with Raclette (is that the way it is written???), then danced a lot. And drank a bit. Jägermeister... But I lived. :D

Love the new picture, Mummpizz. Can you make it? Pretty please. :love: I'd really like to see you clash with the X-wing pilot and the Jedi who are definitely coming. ;)

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 02 Jan , 2005 12:34 pm

Happy New Year! :D

No fireworks for me. Not much fireworks in Norway at all. Everyone's been encouraged to drop the fireworks and give the fireworks-money to the tsunami victims instead. And so people have done.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 02 Jan , 2005 8:10 pm
That Weird American

No party, no nothing...just cuddling with Vana and watching RotK EE...

I just hope there's more partying in my future!

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Jan , 2005 1:36 am
Try to stay perky

Grrrreetings and salutions. :D

We had a great night! Actually, this whole summer has been fun, despite the endless construction work on the house. I made a conscious decision to pay more attention to the Real Stuff around me and fret less about online stuff. Consequently, we've caught up with nearly all our friends and acquaintances, beached often and beached long (summer in Oz! Ah yes! :D ) and even seen some movies!

But back to NY.

We were invited to dinner at a friend's house, with quite a bunch of others and she put on quite a formal spread! Table cloths and everything, quite startling to my kids who are used to making do with odd bits of cutlery ;).

We then proceeded into the city centre by train, a boisterous, cheerful rabble walking down to the train station in the balmy night to join a whole platform full of boisterous, cheerful people. To avoid the traffic crushes of the past, the city is now closed off on NY and all public transport is free and (even more significantly!) plentiful. Getting off at Flinders Street (our central station) was quite surreal: I felt there was not enough air to go around; packed like sardines and vacuum sealed. Sounds icky, but there was an exciting frisson in the crowds and everyone was smiling.

There was entertainment everywhere, with sound stages set up and dance platforms and lights. My kids strutted their stuff, proving that those funk dance classes did actually teach them something.

There were many, many tin rattlers collecting for the various tsunami appeals and it was good to see so many contributing generously to them. We ate ice-cream, armed ourselves with flashing light sabres and wands and ear rings and all other things that wink coloured lights at you and the lot of us finally proceeded to the apartment of yet another friend for the Big Event.

They live on the 8th floor of an apartment building that overlooks the botanic gardens and Yarra River, along the length of which the fireworks were set off.

We ate some more (mostly scrumptious desserts); caught up with lots of people while waiting for midnight, ooo'ed and aaaah'ed, toasted each other with champagne, observed a moment of sober silence for the millions in the midst of the tsunami tragedy, then trained home again to put our happy, but exhausted children to bed.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Jan , 2005 1:56 am
WYSIWYG

That sounds gorgeous, Imp! :)
Guru wrote:
No party, no nothing...just cuddling with Vana and watching RotK EE...
I think that sounds perfectly lovely! :)

I had a wonderful time, too, I spent the evening with my parents, we drank some wine and played Halma, then toasted with Champagne, went out to watch the fireworks and hear the church bells ring festively, then sat up another hour or two to finish the Champagne and chat. Afterwards, rather drunk, I still went on TORC for an hour, and had a chat on yahoo, then went to bed at four-thirty or so. :)

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
Vanaladiel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Jan , 2005 6:53 pm

Yes it was lovely and very relaxing.

Sweetheart, I am sure we can arrange some partying for you if you really feel you need it. Let's see......... Ursulmas is coming........ many different events this coming spring with bardics at night and lots of drinking. :D I think we can accomodate your need to party some. :cheers :clap: :hug:

~*MoonLight Dancer*~

:love:

I married that crazy American!

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Jan , 2005 10:31 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

WOW! Impenitent that sounds absolutely wonderful :mrgreen: And great to have you here :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

At the flat of my in-laws, we can just see across the rooftops of central London down to the Eye - and that's where it all blasted off this year. It was spectacular.

Even being cozy at home sound great Guru & Vana As long as you get to be with the important people in your life - I think that's just the best way to spend the New Year.
But... Vana what is Ursulmas?

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 5:15 pm
That Weird American

It's an SCA event over here...at which great amounts of alcohol will be consumed. GREAT amounts...generally of good quality, and one doesn't need to pay for any of it because other people are perfectly willing to share theirs...it's great fun. It's the midwinter version of what happens every weekend during the summer...

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 11:56 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Fireworks aren't that common for New Year's Eve here in the States. I think Iavas was disappointed that he didn't get to see any. He'll just have to wait until July 4th!

Iavas and I spent New Year's Eve driving a few hours and then visiting The Painted Desert/Petrified Forest National Park (we'll have to post photos later since I can't find any montage of photos online) and then drove on to Flagstaff, Arizona which had snow on the mountains and a bit of snow on the ground. We stayed at a pretty nice hotel (this was supposed to be a sort of honeymoon for us). We wanted to go to a nice restaurant but we couldn't find one that was in our price range and that wasn't totally booked up. So we settled for Outback Steakhouse which wasn't all that bad. Good food and drinks. Then back to the hotel to for a walk through a bunch of Christmas lights and watch the NYC ball drop.

On New Year's Day, we went to the Grand Canyon. The drive up to it through the snowy mountains of Flagstaff was very nice. There was quite a bit of snow and we saw people sledding on the hills along the way. When we got to the Grand Canyon, I was surprised to see that there was a fair amount of snow. I'd seen it in the summer, but seeing it in the winter was a very nice change. Iavas was pretty wowed by it's size and he really enjoyed it. We tried to hike a trail that went down into the canyon, but the snow had been compacted by all the hikers and it was a bit slippery for me (I fell down twice :roll: ...which is a bit scary considering on one side of the trail is a sheer drop down into the canyon with only some trees to possibly break your fall! :Q ). So we only went around a mile when I'd had enough of the slipperiness. We hiked back out and then drove to some more of the scenic overlooks and got to the the canyon in the sunset. :) On the drive back we stopped at a few more scenic overlooks outside of the Grand Canyon and saw some more nice stuff. Unfortunately all the time outside in the cold weather didn't do my cold very well so I felt bad that night which ruined the evening. :(

All in all it was a good New Year's. It was nice to finally get to spend it with someone I love.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 17 posts ]
Return to “The Turf”
Jump to: