board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Berhael
Post subject: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 8:36 am
Milk and kisses

Very very odd, but very very wonderful. Unmissable for anyone whose childhood was spent watching re-runs of Jacques Cousteau's programmes, fans of Bill Murray and/or Wes Anderson, deadpan humour, and anyone who likes quirky, unusual, non-blockbuster films. :)

It also stars Cate Blanchett doing a stiff-upper-lip British accent, Anjelica Huston in magnificent form and Owen Wilson (swoon). :D

I can't wait to rent The Royal Tenenbaums...

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 2:48 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

Not seen it yet, but it's on my list! :) Looks great. :)

Bill Murray is an American treasure. :love:

And he consistently chooses such good films to work in.

I've never got over how glum he looked at the Oscars last year, when ruddy Sean Penn got Best Actor. (I hated 'Mystic River' and IMO Tim Robbins can act Sean Penn off the screen, but that's just me. :D)

Poor Bill. :D I just wanted to give him a big smoooooooch. :D In between cheering for ROTK, of course! :damnfunny

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 6:02 pm
b77 whipping boy

I've always wondered if he really was pissed, or if he was just acting that way...

I certainly think he deserved it more than Penn... as did Depp for that matter...

But then again, comedians and those in comic roles, rarely get any respect from the academy.

Zissou was great... Wonderful film... one of my favorites of last year.

(although I can't stand the royal tanenbaums)

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 6:19 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

halplm wrote:
I've always wondered if he really was pissed, or if he was just acting that way...
That occurred to me too. :D I don't care either way ... it amused me hugely to see an Oscar nominee looking so utterly pissed off at the Oscars ceremony rather than plastering a false 'oh I'm so glad somebody ELSE got the Oscar and not me!' grin all over their face. :LMAO:

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Mar , 2005 1:40 pm

Hah... no wonder it reminded me of the Royal Tenenbaums...d'oh...Ro needs to learn to remember who makes movies she watches.

I saw it yesterday. It was so lovely, so crazy. I fell in love with it when Zissou first meets Ned, then asks to be excused- an exciting rock song starts playing and Zissou marches across the deck of the ship...to smoke a cigarrette and then go back to Ned. It was friggin real... you know when sometimes you're in a situation that reminds you of something you saw in a movie, but you can't solve it like the movie did, and there's certainly no soundtrack playing, and there's no editor to cut the film once you're done with your climactic speech?

See, if I were to nominate a film for the set and costume design, this would be it. How did they get that old technology feel? Everything seemed bigger and bulkier than it had to be. And I'm sure the costumes were designed not to fit the actors quite right. I'm going to get that film when it comes out on DVD and try to work it out, is it the light, or the colours, or the objects or what the hell is it that makes this movie feel always like a comedy even when it's almost 100% serious?

And I have to say I really dig the Portuguese guy providing the music. Hmm...that's another thing...him, the Swedish masseuse, the interns...there's a whole bunch of people on the Belafonte who aren't at all important. They're marked clearly but they're not introduced to us...and that's like a miniature of life too. Mmm...this movie was like a fishbowl.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: