board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

OCC - The Seekers *II - Flight from Mithlond (fans welcome)

Post Reply   Page 7 of 10  [ 200 posts ]
Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9 10 »
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 7:24 am
Tricksy Elf!

Quote:
In the Hobbit, wine and apples were stored in Barrels.
Tolkien was a linguist, not a historian :P And the enormous leaps in knowlage of the past few decades have given us more insight into the medieval mindset. Oh, and the elves lived inland, far from the sea. But barrels could be used for large amounts. They are justa faff to deal with and take up more room on small ships with limited space.
Quote:
Would the corsair have all that? After all, it's a -small- pirate ship, not intended to go in the icy seas and not intended to sail into the unknown.....
Yes, spars brake in warm seas just as much as cold ones. And why wouldn't a pirate have them? I would wonder if a merchent would (coat and all that) but Pirates lived by pillage. why wouldn't they take spares of things like sails. The 17-18 century ones like Tench, Hawkins et al certainly did.
Quote:
Could there be a room where they stored all the pans, pots and bowls? Or could that be stored away in a cupboard (or whatever sailors call that) in the cook's cabin?
It's called a galley ;) And traditionally, food if it was to be cooked, would be cooked ina large pot like a stew ;)

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 3:24 pm
You Tolkien to me?

W00t, we're aliive!! :D

Yea, i'm a bit slow. Anyway, am working on a post right now.....up to, erm, sentence two nudges Kaya but i'll have it done soon enough :D

Nin, you mentioned in your post Legyviel had been taking care of Tibo while he was sick along with Jae and Areanor. However, she was wounded and in no fit state to help anyone when she got on the ship.... ponders Ok, i think i could work with this in my post. She could've looked after the hobbit the second day, being bedridden the first day till Areanor offered her a healing salve.....which will work to some extent for a reason i will have to figure out soon ;)

Areanor, did you mention it was made of Athelas? Maybe that could have something to do with it......

Din, we need to talk. :devil: ;)
Quote:
Fingers, numbed by the frigid water, broke through the surface of Mithlond’s harbour waters and clawed for purchase.
Let it be known to all that it took Kaya over an hour to write that one line! Probably because i was "helping" while she did it, but that's a minor detail :D :D :D

Now, what was the topic at hand? Food? Erm....

Ok, got nothing else to add ;)

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 4:06 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Peeg - Kalinel tells the hobbit that the three women have looked after him - now we all know of course how much Kalinel's word can be trusted. ;)

I can edit it too....

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 6:23 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

i'll need Tibo's help maybe if i ever want to finish my post. or if anyone needs my elf let me know :0 i just need her up and moving from Tibo's bedchamber. she can't sit there all day long.

hey PG! :D

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 7:20 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Start making Tibo's breakfast - that's a huge job :P

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Apr , 2005 4:36 am
You Tolkien to me?

Jae, i've got you a little debut in my post, seeing as you're sharing a room with Legyviel and would be taking care of her a bit, and after that Tibo, and then after THAT, you're free to make Tibo's breakfast. that last one could keep ya busy for a number of posts, i'm sure :D :D

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Apr , 2005 3:09 pm
Tricksy Elf!

peeg wrote:
She could've looked after the hobbit the second day, being bedridden the first day till Areanor offered her a healing salve.....which will work to some extent for a reason i will have to figure out soon ;)
Why Areanor, when there is a Captain of the ship with a medical certificate. He is king on this ship, and everybody knows the hands of aking are the hands of a healer :devil: :Q
Quote:
Start making Tibo's breakfast - that's a huge job
If you eat all the provisions in one meal master Hobbit there will be some swashing of your buckles and a bit of splicing of the hairy footed ones mainbrace :rage: ...... :D

Would be fab though, find she has prepared a huge meal and used most of the stock of fresh food :damnfunny :damnfunny

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Apr , 2005 3:42 pm
Per aspera ad astra

She :Q ? Speaking of the hobbit?

Very vexed now....

And I know this belongs elsewhere, but I'm half way through with a Bree post too.

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Apr , 2005 3:54 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Nin wrote:
She :Q ? Speaking of the hobbit?

Very vexed now....

And I know this belongs elsewhere, but I'm half way through with a Bree post too.
I hope Jae is a she, or Din may get a surprise next time he kisses her.

You did send her off to make brakefast for the sick Tibo dear sheep :D

But good to see you are thinking Bree stuff too ;)

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Apr , 2005 6:43 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

I really need to get back into this. My muse cries for it, *I* cry for it.
I echo Leoba: where have the past month gone :Q

But soooooooooooo good to see this well and alive again :D :love: to you all. And so good to see Din so full of wisdom.. which of course reminds me of the little chat we had a few days ago. We briefly skirted the issue of the Hunter and the Rider. I desperately need to pick your brains about this and soon - or rather, since it's really full of holes (MY brain, not yours of course), I need to know what you know (not a long essay, just brief and concise) :halo: You know what I mean ;) ... and so I beg you :bow: to send me an email once you're back from holiday.

Meanwhile, I'll make it my priority to read up in here properly (tonight I hope :D and Monday again) and then put some final touches on that post that's been sitting on my HDD for ages :oops:

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 6:03 am
You Tolkien to me?

Quote:
Why Areanor, when there is a Captain of the ship with a medical certificate. He is king on this ship, and everybody knows the hands of aking are the hands of a healer :devil: :Q
:Q

Yea, give Legyviel a heart attack when she wakes up. Imagine waking to the face of Kalen el looming over you :Q :Q :blackeye

[ img ]

~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 8:00 am

Dindraug wrote:

I hope Jae is a she, or Din may get a surprise next time he kisses her.
AH HA! i knew he wasn't through with that !!

and Peeg could you email me on what you plan on doing with jae just so i can adjust my post if nececcary :)

still waiting for the muse to hop in any time now.

:hug: Alandriel. it was only asleep for a little while but we have awoken ;)

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Kaya
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 17 Apr , 2005 11:35 am

Dindraug wrote:
Quote:
Would the corsair have all that? After all, it's a -small- pirate ship, not intended to go in the icy seas and not intended to sail into the unknown.....
Yes, spars brake in warm seas just as much as cold ones. And why wouldn't a pirate have them? I would wonder if a merchent would (coat and all that) but Pirates lived by pillage. why wouldn't they take spares of things like sails. The 17-18 century ones like Tench, Hawkins et al certainly did.
Ah but you see, that's just the thing: he hasn't been pillaging for over a decade. After his 'stop' in Mithlond, he wanted to go back to Umbar to get back to that aspect of his life. And why then would he have bothered to order a new sail in Mithlond when he had spare ones on board? :scratch

Be like a duck, my mother used to tell me. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like hell underneath.

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2005 12:39 am
Sharpe-sighted

Thanks, Kaya, that question was there for you to answer anyway. I should have put down your name then. :oops: That was what I meant - that Arunakhor did want to get some things to repair his ship.
Quote:
Tolkien was a linguist, not a historian
But we still do write about his world, don't we? If you really want accuracy then we should get rid of all the cabins we wrote into the story and replace them with a big room with hammocks which the sailors shared in two or three shifts.... :P shouldn't we? (insert innocent look here... :D )

And what was the other thing I wanted to say... :scratch :scratch ?

ah yes. The rice and spice thing. Apart from the small supply of southron spices Kaya has granted us to find aboard, I don't think we'd have provisions from the south rather than things that grew or were raised in the north. A ship stocking provisions in Mithlond would sure get other things than a ship stocking up in Dol Amroth or in Pelargir.

(oh, I so would love to discuss that face to face...)

Went back to TORC to dig out the link to Food and Beverage from Alandriel's RP resources thread. Now - stored grain for porridge sounds great. I already pity those who have to eat the porridge Areanor will serve... No wonder Kalin will be upset after two days. :D
:devil:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2005 6:26 am
You Tolkien to me?

Okies, just got my post up. I had fun writing it, and would have put it up last night only i had to go to bed early cause the holidays finished and i had school today and....

Well, anyway. Enjoy ;)

Legyviel send her apologies for the broken nose. Hope i didn't overdo it ;)

Jae, hope that answers you question :)

BTW, why is spare sails an issue? Will we be needing them anytime soon?

[ img ]

~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2005 7:14 am

it did thank you PG darlin' :D

Just to make sure i'll be writing my post pretty much the day when Tibo wakes up. so after Legyviel has healed.

just so we keep the timelines straight ;)

shall be writing when time permits.

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Apr , 2005 12:10 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

... caught up reading again, finally :roll: :D

Nice posts :D :D but please, a request: don't move the timeline forward again for some of us have to catch up ;) Which is to say, I'm waiting for a word from

Dindraug: you've got 2 emails :halo: Depending on your take on what I've proposed, the first (and/or the second) bit I'll rework... or not .... depending on the outcome of the little plotting session =:)

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Apr , 2005 1:04 pm

I had a dream last night in which i ran into John Howe on the fair i'm going to this weekend ( he'll be there too) and he began telling me PJ's plan about filming a LOTR tribute and how he and come across this great fan fiction story. turned out to be our story , the fabulous Seekers and so i ended up calling Alandriel who nearly fainted on the spot.

It ended with Howe asking permission to get Alandriel's number so he could pass it on the PJ for discussion.

t'was a good dream :D

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Apr , 2005 9:04 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

:Q :Q

:love: Howard Shore calling me????

Yes - I would faint! [ img ]

But I'd give PJ a piece of my mind :rage: ;)

:LMAO:

But you know.. the best parts of this story are still coming =:) - so hold off giving out those numbers for a while yet. Let them grill in anticipation a bit longer

;)

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Apr , 2005 9:38 pm
Per aspera ad astra

After all, John Howe lives in Switzerland (puts his name on the list of people to meet)

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 7 of 10  [ 200 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9 10 »
Jump to: