The Last Homely Site on the Web

Pope John Paul II

Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 68 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Apr , 2005 9:56 pm
Daydream Believer

I am not a Catholic but I feel a great deal of sadness at the prospective loss of the Pope. I guess its one of those feelings of this is a man is a beacon for so many and to lose a beacon, regardless of one’s beliefs, is sad.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 12:38 am
b77 whipping boy

I also am not Catholic. In fact, even as a Christian, I have often thought the Catholic church to blame for much of the problems with Christianity today.

That said, I have little doubt the Pope is a true man of God. As much influence as Satan may have in this world, God's power is greater, and to provide a leader for so many Christians in this world is something I think God would have a hand in.

I will pray for the people this Pope's death will effect. And I will pray for a new Pope that will lead his people forward.

The only real comfort that can be given, however, is the knowledge that God is in control, he has a plan, and nothing we do will truly interfere with that plan. It is a comforting thought.

:)

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 12:59 am

Prayers for the Pope.
Prayers for Rodia.
Prayers for peace in the hearts of all who seek God and find guidance and comfort in the Church.

I am a Christian of a different tradition, but I see great goodness in this man.

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 3:37 am
Triathlete

Hugs to everyone, especially the Poles. :( :bawl:

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 5:14 am
Marshmallow Toaster

:hug: for Rodia. :(

He's a good man, and he's lived a good and productive life. He's made a difference in the world, and what more can any person ask for?

[ img ]

[ img ]

It really doesn't. :neutral:

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 6:59 pm

Thanks everyone... especially the non-Catholics, it's so wonderful to hear people who have no 'obligatory loyalty' to the Pope say he is a significant person, and a good person...I think that's the best proof that he is a good Pope.
Riverthalos wrote:
Ro, I don't know you that well, so forgive me if this question is too personal or painful, but have you ever lost a grandparent?
River, thanks for your words...they help. I've lost a grandmother when I was very very small and although I did feel sorry, because she was my grandma who played with me and loved me, I think I was too young for strong grief.
Since then I've lost very few people who were truly family and important to me...my aunt...I found out about her death from a newspaper, as she was a popular songwriter...I was shocked.

Alatar, don't worry... I asked myself the same question (because I've been asking myself millions of questions since yesterday). And Jewelsong answered as I would have. For me and many people, this isn't an old man dying...he is our Father. I say that meaning it very much- his love isn't abstract for me... he's just my Father. But I don't think you were insensitive as you accuse yourself... any death is hard, and deaths that affect millions always have a double edge. :hug:

Enchie...I can't tell you how much it touches me to see your signature. Thank you. It puts tears in my eyes...it's a beautiful gesture.

I don't think many people slept well through last night. I was in bed and only kept the radio on all night, waking up for the news...and there are NO news other than those about the Pope. Absolutely none. Oh, the weather occasionally, but that is seriously it...Since yesterday, almost all radio stations have toned down to calm music and songs, and I really really appreciate that. I'm permanently tuned to RMF fm which has been fantastic yesterday with sending reporters across the country to places where people are praying.
And people are praying EVERYWHERE.
Last night at about ten pm, I didn't know what to do with myself anymore, so I went to church. There were people around the cathedral where a statue of Pope John Paul stands, and they were standing silently praying with candles. A television set was down on the ground and people were around it, trying to read the subtitles for the news.

When I went inside the cathedral, it was full of people with tears in their eyes. Whole families with young children, old people, young people...the cathedral didn't empty all night yesterday, and neither will it empty this night. Like many churches in Poland.

Most events have been cancelled for this weekend, plays, sports matches, concerts. People are flocking to churches, constantly praying.

It's overwhelming...

You know, his dying is a beautiful thing. Have you heard the transmissions from Rome? Young people have gathered on St Peter's Place without being summoned, seventy thousand people since last night and the place almost never empties. They are shouting 'Giovanni Paolo' to let him know they are there with him.

The Vatican says he has tried to talk when they told him about all the young people praying for him, and that from what they pieced together from his words, he said: "I have looked for you, and now you have come to me. Thank you for that."

His death gathers so many of us together...even his death strengthens our faith in God and our community.

I don't know what to pray for, I don't think many people do. Since yesterday I've just been thinking and thinking and thinking...thinking about God and life and death like I never have before.

It's like he's given us a second Easter, perhaps one we can understand better, because it's down here on Earth...

I don't know what will happen. We may be given a test...will he be miraculously cured...will he die soon...will he die in a week...will he fall into a coma...

Whatever happens, believers all over the world are being given such a shake...this man's mission on Earth is so immense, even his death is a beginning and not an end.

But John Paul II said at the beginning of his pontificate: "Fear not."

So I won't.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 7:39 pm
bioalchemist

Pray for peace? An end to suffering? That seems appropriate right now...

It seems like an age is ending. Like I said, I'm not religious, but John Paul II has been Pope longer than I've been alive (I was born the year he got shot). He's just been one of those little rocks that holds the world in place. I'm not sure anyone who was old enough to be aware of his existence will ever not feel the loss. :(

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 7:40 pm

He just died.

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 8:18 pm
Waiting for winter

Rest in peace Karol Wojtyla, Pope John Paul II.

It’s strange. I am not a Catholic, but I suddenly feel the world is a different place.

Profile Quote
Queen_Beruthiel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 8:19 pm

Rest in peace.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 8:23 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

:( I am truly sorry, for Rodia and for every Catholic. :hug:

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 8:25 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

:hug: to Ro, doubly hit, and to all Catholics and Poles.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 8:30 pm
bioalchemist

:hug:

May he rest in peace and remain honored in memory.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
democritus
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 9:00 pm

The pope has died

He was both the best of popes and the worst of popes, but upon reflection I hope that it is the legacy of his rapprochment with Judaism and Islam, his fight against Communism and his advocation of human rights, and not the legacy of his refusal to adequately confront paedophilia in the church, to consider contraception to fight aids in Africa, his view of homosexuality as evil, his refusal to ordain woman, his authoritarian nature in selection of cardinals and isolation of moderates that is remembered in 100 years.

By that I mean that I hope his legacy on human rights, for instance, has a longer legacy than his stance on contraception, woman and homosexuals which I hope that the catholic church reconsiders over time. My hope is that the church carries on with what made him the "best of popes" such as, amongst other things, reaching out in the name of peace and opposing dictators, and continuing with a programme of rapprochment to other faiths. While at the same time, I hope the church quietly moves on from continuing blights of his papacy orthodoxy on sexual and social issues that, amongst other things, made him the worst of popes.

If that is the case then in hundred years what made him the "best of popes" will be his lasting legacy as opposed to the what made him the "worst of popes".

One of the most wonderful and memorable things about this pope was his decision to be completely open about his state of health all through the course of his long term illness and death. I think it is a wonderful thing to witness such a public human being who doesn't cover up the reality of illness, physical degradation and death, that society usually covers in euphemisms and turns a deliberate blind eye to, in it's adulation of youth and vitality.

Humbling, even if this secular, athiest, humanist, says so.

Last edited by democritus on Mon 04 Apr , 2005 8:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 9:17 pm
A green apple painted red

May he rest in peace. He wielded a lot of worldly power, and his intent always seemed to use it for good, unselfishly. I do not share his religion, but I respect the man.

I agree with democritus, this Pope has shown us how to bear illness and frailty with grace, and at the end he showed us how to leave this world in the same way. His death will be lamented, but he appeared to accept it without fear, valuing his Earthly life while it lasted and embracing his passage when it came.

Profile Quote
enchantress
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 9:33 pm
Sorcery in Action

Wieczne odpoczywanie
racz Mu dac Panie,
A Swiatlosc Wiekuista
niechaj Mu swieci
na wieki wiekow,
Amen.

The former is a Polish prayer for the dead. I dont know the English equivalent.

Rest in Peace, Karol Wojtyla, John Paul II.

:(:(:(:(

We must try to remember that He has gone to what He considered "home", and on that note, on some level He went with peace and joy...and at least His pain is over now...

Spij spokojnie, Nasz Papiezu.

Ro, Im glad you're touched by my sig... That prayer was and is one of my favourites... and even as my beliefs are now, I can wholeheartedly still speak the lines now in my signature.

Falling into Autumn... :)

Profile Quote
Northerner
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 9:54 pm
Queen of the Tundra

God grant he rest in peace.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 10:21 pm
Same as it ever was

tinwe_linto wrote:
Rest in peace Karol Wojtyla, Pope John Paul II.

It’s strange. I am not a Catholic, but I suddenly feel the world is a different place.
Amen. I am not religious either, but the world is a lesser place now without people like him.

Even not being a Roman Catholic, I feel he inspired much more good in the world than the rest of what we have to look towards for motivation.

He was a true worldwide spiritual leader, even for those of us who did not share his faith, we admired him, tremendously so. It is much easier to take the words of someone who sincerely states them with a very reasoned and logical approach to issues that are so controversial. And then compare the same positions by persons that do not even deserve to stand in the same shadow of someone of as great integrity as Karol Wojtyla, now known as Pope John Paul II, it makes me sad.

Rodia, he was a fantastic human being, and I would not be at all surprised if he is beatified. The world is a bit sorrier today, we need more persons like him to remember how really in need we are of true leaders and examples of a life lived well and worthwhile.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 10:29 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Imagine the chaos and pronouncements by those with A Direct Line To God if he had died the same day Terry Schiavo did.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 10:50 pm
Daydream Believer

:hug: :grouphug:

The grey rain curtian turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them to a far green country and a swift sunrise...

I will not say do not weep; for all tears are not an evil. ~ JRR Tolkien.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 68 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: