Reunion/Checkmate discussion thread

Post Reply   Page 35 of 41  [ 805 posts ]
Jump to page « 133 34 35 36 3741 »
Estel Dúnadan
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Apr , 2008 10:58 am
Revenge of the Salmon

Narejde is my new favourite character!

I love Turgon's enthusiasm in describing his night's work.

Narejde's feeling about Khorazîr is worrying - I'll be on tenterhooks until I hear a certainty!

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Apr , 2008 2:09 pm

Mwahaha! Cliffhangers are so much fun. :devil:

I hope to get a new post written shortly. I'm certainly inspired. Narejde is indeed fun to write, especially when she allows herself to show a bit of emotion.

I do wonder how poor Éowyn spent the night ... ;)

Approaching novel-length: The Snake's Checkmate

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Apr , 2008 6:06 am

Good post as usual, but I'm hoping for more action soon; I'm going nuts with the waiting (I want Faramir to carve up AJ with a scimitar). Also, y'all have left poor Eowyn languish in the dungeons of Ihimbra for far too long, our time - what's happened to her?

Nice picture of Faramir and Narejde - love his outfit. She happens to look rather like Faramir...

RAKSHA, wanting more...

"And it is I, Raksha [the Demon] who answer!"

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Apr , 2008 12:17 pm

That's because she's a tark (although she tends to forget this ...) ;)

To be honest, I think many of my characters look a little like Faramir. Today in school I drew a face on the blackboard to explain the proportions of the human face to my students, and it looked somewhat like him, too. Guess I've drawn him too often by now to get rid of this habit again ...

Well, could be worse, I guess :D

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Apr , 2008 4:47 am

That's because Faramir's face is so impressive it just sticks in your brain. (Elessar who?)

Hope you or LoR will post something soon...

RAKSHA

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Apr , 2008 7:48 am

That must be it :D

I have a post 2/3 written, and hope to put it up next week (as I'll be at the Tolkien Seminar in Jena over the weekend).

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Apr , 2008 7:55 am

I will enjoy reading your post! Though I'm now wondering what's happened not only to Eowyn but to LoR?

In case you're interested, I've posted some more ficlets at storiesofarda.com - five in this latest compilation, two of which feature Faramir, and two featuring Eowyn (just put the last two vignettes up tonight)-

http://www.storiesofarda.com/chapterlis ... p?SID=5833

I actually like your version of Aragorn quite a lot - that picture of him with Arwen and Frodo is extremely close to how I imagine the real Aragorn to look.

Enjoy the Tolkien Seminar!

RAKSHA :cool:

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Apr , 2008 4:20 pm

Thanks for the link, Raksha. I read some of the ficlets a while ago, although I admit to being a bit lazy when it come to leaving comments. I enjoyed all of them a lot, especially the last. I always like how you write scenes from unusual points of view, or generally pic scenes that tend to be overlooked, and perhaps even under-appreciated by many. You show them in all their poignancy and importance.

As for LoR, I think she's very busy in RL at the moment, even more so than I, and usually this is a sure way for one's muse to be discouraged. :(

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 May , 2008 3:36 am
A maiden young and sad

If the last, i dunno, 1/3 is absolute crap, it might be because i've now been up for 20 hours and am quite tired. If tomorrow morning (or afternoon) i wake up and realize it is utter crap, i'll go back and do edits.

Will also catch up on comments.

4am is too early to get up on a staurday.

Ithilien, the garden of Gondor now desolate kept still a dishevelled dryad loveliness.

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 May , 2008 5:49 am

I don't think any of your post is crap, LoR. It's quite good; my only question is why Aurens wanted to remove all trace of Eowyn from the cell. Perhaps he had put her in somewhere nicer than AJ had intended; maybe AJ wanted her in the dungeon from the start?

That AJ is so foul :rage: - torturing a bound pregnant woman. I really hope that Faramir gets to kill him. Slowly, with Eowyn watching.

I can't blame Eowyn for betraying information about Faramir; she was put in an impossible position. If she hadn't been pregnant, I think she would have died before divulging any information.

Good post!

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 May , 2008 7:23 am

Hm, I seem to have skipped the crappy bits, because I don't recall any ;)

I agree with Raskha: good post, and yes, AJ deserves to be cut up in little pieces. :devil:

I hope to get some writing done for my next post later today, although I don't know if I'll manage to finish it.

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 May , 2008 9:03 pm

Well, actually it's not quite finished, but since it was quite long already, I decided to end it at that point, and save the rest of what was to go in there for the next one.

I've also got a small drawing, which hopefully I'll manage to scan and post tomorrow. For now, good night :)

Profile Quote
Estel Dúnadan
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 May , 2008 1:00 pm
Revenge of the Salmon

Woohoo, I come back from a couple of weeks away to find two new posts!!

Every time the Snake touches Éowyn, I shudder, and wish him (at the least) out of reach of her. Naeg a gurth an i Lyg!

I am really seeing what you mean about letting a character live into another story being such a gift. Have you killed more named characters yet than Shakespeare did in "Othello"? I think a few more people deserve to at least not be killed of: Adûnakhôr (however it's spelled) and his wife and child; Lael, Lahar, and Aliah; as many of Faramir's Rangers as possible; plus lots I consider obvious.

Raksha, what do you mean, Elessar who? :tsk tsk: Faramir, especially Khorazîr's Faramir, is terrific, but I'm hoping for some Aragorn some time. (Hint hint! No, do as you like; such good authors are too precious to pester. :) BTW Raksha, did I ever say how much I liked "The Falcon and the Star"?)

Elladan wants the computer, so I'll see what else I can read and comment on tomorrow.

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 May , 2008 9:20 pm

The new drawing is up at my website. :)

Thanks a lot for your comment, Estel. It's greatly appreciated. I'm very pleased you like 'my' Faramir. As I've mentioned before, I'm not as familiar with writing Elessar as I'm with his Steward, but there are going to be more scenes with the King when he arrives in the South.

As for killing off characters, well, I tend to be somewhat reluctant to dispose of them all too swiftly (AJ is the living proof ...) because one never knows when they might come in handy again. I'm not for resurrecting characters who have died, and generally hate when this happens in books or films or tv-series.

But that said, when I have made up my mind about killing some poor char, I can be pretty ruthless. I've even been considering killing Khorazîr, but LoR said I mustn't. Yet, sometimes beloved characters just have to die. For example, I think they should have killed off Han Solo in "Return of the Jedi" as was their original intention. It would have really improved the movie, and I don't say that because I don't like Han -- on the contrary.

Concerning Sakalthôr, his death came as a surprise, as originally I hadn't intended to get rid of him. Well, guess this was one of those times the story developed a life of its own ... ;)

Oooh, LoR, I just saw you new sig. That's hilarious :cool: Az definitely needs some black clothes now.

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 May , 2008 9:52 pm

Ooh, woodsy Faramir peeping through leaves :) ! I wish you'd make it into a painting, if only so I could see more detail on the sexy mouth and keen eyes :love: . (Strider who?) (just to bug Estel Dunedan :devil: )

Khorazir; you'd kill off your namesake? No, no. Keep him and Azrahil alive, preferably Narejde too, please. Kill off that nice son of AJ's if you have to kill someone (the one married to AJ's former sweetheart). And you must kill off AJ.

How long until His high-and-mightiness-Aragorn-Elessar-Telcontar-Strider-Estel-Wingfoot-Thorongil-John Jingleheimer Smith shows up? I like the way you write him and Faramir. Not to mention Eomer (though I imagine Aragorn and Faramir will have to waste much valuable time keeping Eomer from leading the Rohirrim in a cavalry charge two minutes after they arrive)...

Btw, have you reached the halfway point of the story, or are you and LoR beyond it. I am beginning to itch for more action, and battles, and Snake-throttling...

I want Eowyn to have her baby far away from Ihimbra, or at least far away from AJ, and surrounded by friends, with Faramir holding her hand.

Good chapter, Khorazir. Two chapters in the same week is wonderful.

I still want more.

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 07 May , 2008 12:53 am
A maiden young and sad

Well, if you all like it, I won't go read through and change things. ;)

Quote:
my only question is why Aurens wanted to remove all trace of Eowyn from the cell. Perhaps he had put her in somewhere nicer than AJ had intended; maybe AJ wanted her in the dungeon from the start?
Honestly, I don't know. He just said it, and I went with it. I'll figure out why later, and I might just steal your idea...

Quote:
But that said, when I have made up my mind about killing some poor char, I can be pretty ruthless
She's already started thinking about how to kill off AJ. Ok, so maybe I've helped that a bit.

Quote:
I've even been considering killing Khorazîr, but LoR said I mustn't.
You can kill him off when he's 90+ and has lots of grandchildren running around. ;) Anytime before that and I stop talking to you. :P I like that old man very much.

Quote:
Oooh, LoR, I just saw you new sig. That's hilarious Az definitely needs some black clothes now.
:D And a couple CDs by My Chemical Romance or Fall Out Boy. And he is totally emo right now. I want to snuggle him and give him a cookie and tell him that it's all going to be okay.

Quote:
Btw, have you reached the halfway point of the story, or are you and LoR beyond it.
We are somewhere in Act 2. Depending on how negotiations with Elessar develop, we could quickly get to Act 3 and the big hoorah, or things could drag out with AJ being a brat.

Quote:
I still want more.
Well, I'll see what I can do. ;) I'm a copy editor at a newspaper now, and my mornings start early (4am), so by the time I get home, yeah it's early afternoon, but I've already had a long day and don't want to think any more about words. ;)

Ithilien, the garden of Gondor now desolate kept still a dishevelled dryad loveliness.

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 07 May , 2008 8:50 pm

Once may is over things should calm down for me as well, as school is approaching the summer holidays, and I'll have finished the Greek Tales commission which is due by the end of the month. But I'll try and write as much as I can even now, because I'm greatly inspired.

Ok, so I won't kill off Khorazîr. Well, it's not that there aren't plenty of other characters ... :devil:

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 Jun , 2008 8:56 pm

Well, May has been over for quite some time now, and it's taken rather longer for things to calm down over here (in fact, the first week of summer break has passed without me really noticing, because I was so busy). But now, finally, I do have some more time for writing. In fact, half a new post is more or less finished, although I need some inspiration in order to complete it.

How are things at your end, LoR? Hope all is well, and you have been spared by the floods.

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 Jun , 2008 11:18 pm

Post! Post! Post! (imagine loud drumbeats, or shouts of Grond! Grond! Grond!)

Profile Quote
Estel Dúnadan
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Jul , 2008 10:44 pm
Revenge of the Salmon

Patience is a virtue, Raksha!

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 35 of 41  [ 805 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 133 34 35 36 3741 »
Jump to: