board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

VOTE ON WHEN TO OPEN THE BOARD - RESOLVED!

Post Reply   Page 8 of 11  [ 219 posts ]
Jump to page « 16 7 8 9 10 11 »
Assuming that all issues regarding HOW to open are resolved separately, I would like to see board77 open (please note that the total votes for each of the first six choices will carry over to the next choice):
Poll ended at Tue 17 May , 2005 12:11 am
1. As soon as the charter provisions regarding the admins are ratified;

22% [ 15 ]
2. As soon as the charter provisions regarding dispute resolution are ratified;

4% [ 3 ]
3. As soon as the charter provisions regarding members rights and responsibilities are ratified;

35% [ 24 ]
4. As soon as the charter provisions regarding the mission statement, purpose and goals are ratified;

16% [ 11 ]
5. As soon as the charter provisions regarding the office of the Mayor are ratified;

3% [ 2 ]
6. As soon as the charter provisions regarding the ownership of the board are ratified;

14% [ 10 ]
7. I do not want board77 to open in the foreseeable future.

6% [ 4 ]
Total votes: 69
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 5:40 pm
Thanks to Holby

Just to be clear, if it were decided to accept #5 as the open the board threshold, I would not be upset, I would not regard it as an injustice or an abuse of power, and I would not think any less of anyone.

Edit

Cross-posted with Voronwe. You da man, V. :love:

Last edited by Cerin on Thu 19 May , 2005 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 5:44 pm
Insolent Pup

Sorry, Anthy, I do not include blasphemers in my list.

Heretic.

;)

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 5:46 pm
WYSIWYG

Because I was late in my edit to my previous post: who you don't include are women, TED! Hmmmmhhh... :suspicious: ;)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Faramond
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 5:46 pm
Digger

Voronwe --

I am tired of repeating myself.

1. 0.8 was set at the benchmark for consensus in the opening post. Anything less is not consensus.

2. The vote for option 5 or earlier was 55 out of 69.

3. The ratio for option 5 is 55/69.

4. 55/69 < 0.8

5. Therefore option 5 did not achieve the benchmark for consensus.

Tell me which point is wrong.

This is blinding clear and easy to follow. Not a single one of these facts can be rationally disputed. I am being horribly dishonest if I call deviation from these clear easy to follow fact anything but fudging the results.

It is irrelevant if you said that 79.7% would be treated as good enough in the middle of voting. The rules have to be set before voting, and you can't change them in the middle of voting. If you wanted 79.7 to be good enough, you should have set the benchmark at 79.5 at the beginning of voting or something.

Follow your own damn rules. And stop telling lies like 55/69 >= 0.8 It isn't and never will be, no matter how many dishonest rounding tricks you use. I have no confidence in TPTB here anymore, if you can't do simple math or follow the rules you set out in the beginning. I truly do not understand how so many people can make such a simple math error, or find it okay, close enough. Have some respect for the vote! Votes are not decided by being "close enough".

Since I was told on multiple occasions by admins that I was threatening the existence of this board, I think I'd better leave all business and charter related discussions behind to I don't burn up all your hard work.

I knew this would happen, which is why I tried to withdraw from this discussion. However when people start making absurd math statements, I can't just leave it alone.

Profile Quote
Faramond
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 5:50 pm
Digger

Jnyusa wrote:
Between May 9 and the close of the vote on May 17 no one objected to this very standard and usual rounding method.
No rounding method, no matter how standard or usual, can make 55/69 >= 0.8. If you think that then you have no respect for facts. There is no statue of limitation on pointing out bullshit mathematics.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 5:52 pm
Living in hope

Faramond, you won. Can you stop insulting people now?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 5:54 pm

:Q :Q :Q :Q :Q Good Lord, Faramond! Why in the world are you taking this so seriously????? It would be really cool if you didn't go around accusing of dishonesty and stupidity because of something like this. Even if you're right, this is sooooo not worth getting people angry about...

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 5:56 pm
Garrulous Griffon

As a sort of outside perspective, people are starting to talk past each other here. I say that to point out everybody involved could maybe stop, take a breath, a step backwards, calm down and relax if they need to, and then come back with some gentleness mixed in.

And after that unhelpful comment, I must go! I'm late for my movie date with Star Wars!

PS: I've found that messing with maths around Faramond can be ... volatile. I've had a sort of run-in with that when I made remarks about a Calculus book I bought. He studied math, so he takes it as seriously as I take IT stuff. We all have stuff we take seriously, I've seen many people on these boards and TORC go myopic at the mention of whatever subject pushes their buttons.

And now I am damn, damn late! :Q

*zoom*

Last edited by Griffon64 on Thu 19 May , 2005 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
Faramond
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 5:57 pm
Digger

I won?

What the fuck?

This isn't about winning. This is about people telling lies about voting results and thinking it's customary or okay.

And you Prim, were far more insulting when you accused me of trying to sabotage the board.

I've had it with this place. I can't believe I get attacked for trying to point out a simple fact.

Have fun with your little banana republic.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 6:00 pm
Living in hope

Faramond, I never accused you of sabotaging the board. Never.

I said I was afraid the board would die if opening is delayed too long, and I stand by that.

Griffy is right. Everyone needs to calm down. This is hurtful and painful and utterly stupid.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 6:01 pm
Thanks to Holby

Faramond, I'm pretty sure no one is claiming that 79.7 does in fact equal 80.

Edit

I'm sorry you feel you've been attacked. It didn't look that way to me.

Last edited by Cerin on Thu 19 May , 2005 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 6:01 pm
WYSIWYG

Please, Faramond! :(

You're upset and being very insulting in consequence. People are willing to respect your objection and go for number six instead. I can't imagine it's anybody's opinion that you are endangering the board. Please take a breath and rethink what you have said.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 6:11 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Wow...you've really crossed the line Faramond. I know you're going through a tough time right now and maybe that's the root of the problem and not a few tenths of a percentage point.

Please ready more carefully and calmly what people have said. I haven't seen anyone say that number 5 is factually the right choice, but have said it's close enough for them.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Faramond
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 6:15 pm
Digger

I recommend you people ban me.

Then you can fudge all the numbers you want without anyone calling you on it.

Eru, the thing is, I don't think anyone has read calmly and cooly what I said. I made my initial objection very calmly, and I was told that I alone was threatening the existence of this board.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 6:18 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I'm sorry that you feel that way Faramond.

OT, but may I say I don't think removing your presence from this board will help anything. You really should keep hanging around...just maybe take a break from the serious stuff. :hug:

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 6:19 pm
Living in hope

I never said that destroying the board was your intention in raising your point. Therefore I never accused you of sabotage. I merely said it could be the result, in explaining why I felt so strongly.

Nobody has insulted you.

Your point has been raised, discussed, and accepted. Not everyone aghrees with its importance—well, welcome to message boarding.

Please don't leave the board. Take a break if you must, but please don't leave.

Last edited by Primula_Baggins on Thu 19 May , 2005 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 6:20 pm

yovargas wrote:
:Q :Q :Q :Q :Q Good Lord, Faramond! Why in the world are you taking this so seriously????? It would be really cool if you didn't go around accusing of dishonesty and stupidity because of something like this. Even if you're right, this is sooooo not worth getting people angry about...
I'm not angry, yov. I'm saddened that Faramond feels the way he does, but there is nothing further that I can do. If he wants to discuss it with me further I am quite happy to do so. But I would say that we should either do so via PM or in the bike racks. Maybe I'll learn something as I admit that I am completely mystified by why Faramond is so upset.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 6:27 pm
Insolent Pup

Faramond, it was a mistake. Take a step back for a minute if you're really going to get this angry. You pointed out your fact, and people have offered a compromise? What else do you want?

Can we put this vote in "too close too call" if it is really such an issue?
Quote:
I have no confidence in TPTB here anymore
Why do you say this as if there is a poster here with more say or more pull then each you or any one of us. Member run, member owned, member moderated... that's how I understood and still understand this place to be. Everyone has their hot button issues.

ETA: I read your initial objection Faramond, and I thought it was a good objection. You shouldn't have deleted it. It obviously was worth discussing.

TrueHobbit.... Jn (who was on my list :D) isn't a woman? Then her avatar confuses me greatly. ;) (Man, I hope that lightens the mood in some way....)

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 6:31 pm
WYSIWYG

Ooops - true, TED - ok, you've caught me reading carelessly! :blackeye

(Although the question has been raised whether she's human! ;) :P )

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 6:32 pm
through the looking glass

Faramond :Q This is an appalling display of bad manners.
Quote:
This is about people telling lies about voting results and thinking it's customary or okay.
Lies? Lies!?

To insult the integrity of Voronwe, Jynusa and Prim, regardless of your rationale, is beyond reason.

I am speechless.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 8 of 11  [ 219 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 16 7 8 9 10 11 »
Jump to: