The Last Homely Site on the Web

Mechanical Questions for Committee

Post Reply   Page 2 of 6  [ 120 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 May , 2005 4:40 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

OK - I've moved all the ballots into one file and copied the vote tallies for each question on to each ballot.

However, I can't post that or update the Charter thread until the end of the week probably.

Thank you for your guidance. I just sat there looking at all those voting files and I didn't know what to do. :P

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 May , 2005 3:07 pm

I've posted a Charter Committee Ballot Archive as a sticky.

We can add to this as we go along.

Just to keep things neat, if you have other suggestions how to do this, please post them here.

Thanks!

Jn

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 May , 2005 5:40 pm
Thanks to Holby

That looks great! Thank you!

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 May , 2005 6:57 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Stunning! :Q :D

Undoubtedly we would have never come this far without your expert guidance Jny. Thank you
:love: :bow: :love: :bow: :love: :bow: :love: :bow:

and a :cheers of encouragement for Voronwe - you've offered to shoulder no mean task!

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 2:48 pm

Friends, we are entering the homestretch. ;) We should be able to send both Dispute Resolution and Member Rights and Responsibilities to the membership for ratification within a day or so.

In the next 'session', we will vote on our Mission Statement, Key Principles, the Office of the Mayor, and the Ownership issue (I think we have agreed to skip 'goals'; if anyone objects to that, speak now or forever hold your peace. Of these, I think the Mission Statement and Key Principals will require the most discussion. All told, I doubt it will take us another two weeks to finish this session. I would encourage all of the committee members to stay the course. But if for some reason you feel that you need to take a break, please let me know by the end of this coming weekend, if at all possible.

Thanks. :)

Edit: Also, I've notice that not everyone that has voted so far has voted on BOTH Member's Rights and Responsibilities AND Offenses That Merit Penalties. Please vote on both of these important subjects. :)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 4:29 am

IMPORTANT QUESTION

People, while summarizing Article 5 for member ratification and trying to re-compose the Stickies for this forum, I ran into a serious question that we did not answer while writing Article 5.

Under the pre-committee procedures, we had a procedure for a ban which did not distinguish between 'immediate bans' and 'temporary bans' as the charter subsequently did.

When I suggested that we carry over this idea that the membership should have to approve a ban (governance by objection) I did not think to ask which kind of ban they should be voting on.

Now, making that decision should not be too terribly troublesome, but the kinds of time limits we have built around everything make the whole system rather odd.

The immediate bans imposed by a Hearing seem the most obvious for a member vote, but the member vote takes ten days, and the members can appeal to have the ban reversed after 30 days.

The temporary bans imposed by a Hearing might be quite short. It would not make sense to ban a member for ten days and then vote for ten days whether we should do it ... and meanwhile the member is restricted to the Jury room. :scratch

I think that we need to make a clarification here before presenting this for ratification.

Was your sense of the member vote that it would only apply to immediate bans? If yes, we should add that to the charter, i.e. where it says "the decision to ban a member is not final" it should read instead, "the decision to ban a member for unspecified duration is not final.

Jn

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 4:57 am
Living in hope

Jn, that was certainly my sense. I did not imagine that we would be bringing these lesser penalties, bans for specific terms, to a member vote as well. I saw the member vote as more like, "Do we want to remove this person from our community?" not "Do we want this person to be banned for X days?" In other words, votes are for momentous decisions.

Otherwise, why not have members vote on all penalties? :Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
IdylleSeethes
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 5:00 am

I agree with Prim.

Idylle in exile: the view over the laptop on a bad day
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 5:00 am

Yes, that was my understanding as well. :scratch

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 5:05 am
Thanks to Holby

That was not my understanding, since I did not understand things well enough to consider the ramifications. But now that you have explained it, I agree that it makes sense to apply that provision to the immediate bans only.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 5:10 am
Try to stay perky

Chiming in agreement - that is to say, the membership weighs in when a ban of unspecified duration is in the offing.[/list]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 5:17 am

Well, that makes six of us. I am not going to put this to a vote. If two more people (simple majority) say that this is their understanding, then I will simply add that qualifier to the appropriate phrase.

Jn

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 31 May , 2005 10:28 am
of Vinyamar

I'm also in agreement. One more vote needed.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 5:15 pm

!ACHTUNG!

By tomorrow evening (GMT) There will be eight threads in the Business Forum for ratification discussion and vote. We need a quorum on every one of them.

I will ask our admins to (1)do a thorough clean-up in the forum and (2) make some simplifications in the information we give to members.

Hobby started the clean-up already and is probably waiting for permissions from thread-starters, but right now for the good of the board we need to termporarily (at least) lock some threads:

• Global Announcement: Yet another board wide vote - please remove this. We need to replace it with a relevant Global Announcement

• Announcement: creating a constitution - unsticky and lock

• Convention member discussion thread - unsticky and lock, and have last post direct people to other discussion/voting threads via links

• Input on Mission Statement - lock

• Article 6: Age Restricted Forum RESULTS POSTED - lock

• I seem to have super powers - lock

Simplifying information:

• By the time the last ratification thread goes up tomorrow, there needs to be one Global Announcement thread that tells voters there are eight ratification threads. We need a quorum in each. (It appears that) They are all POLL votes, so if the board software allows you to vote, that means you did not yet vote and need to do so.

• The eight ratification threads should be stickied and nothing else should be stickied for the time being.

• Each ratification thread should say when the discussion begins and ends and when the vote begins and ends. (Voronwe, I will suggest to you to reduce the length of your explanation - if people didn't read my three sentences and didn't know what was going on, they'll never read your text block). Here is the information that needs to go into the threads:

Article 5: Dispute Resolution ... Discuss from Wed June 1 through Thur June 9 inclusive. Vote from Fri Jun 10 through Sun June 19 inclusive.

Article 2: Member Rights ... Discuss from Wed June 1 through Thur June 9 inclusive. Vote from Fri Jun 10 through Sun June 19 inclusive.

Amendment: Admin Names ... Discuss from Wed June 1 through Thur June 9 inclusive. Vote from Fri Jun 10 through Sun June 19 inclusive.

Article 4: Mayor's Office ... Discuss from Mon Jun 6 through Thur Jun 16 inclusive. Vote from Fri Jun 17 through Sun Jun 26 inclusive (vote actually begins Thurs evening - info already posted)

Key Principles ... Discuss from Mon Jun 6 through Thur Jun 16 inclusive. Vote from Fri Jun 17 through Sun Jun 26 inclusive (vote actually begins Thurs evening - info already posted)

Goals ... Discuss from Mon Jun 6 through Thur Jun 16 inclusive. Vote from Fri Jun 17 through Sun Jun 26 inclusive (vote actually begins Thurs evening - info already posted)

Mission Statement ... Discuss from Mon Jun 6 through Thur Jun 16 inclusive. Vote from Fri Jun 17 through Sun Jun 26 inclusive (vote actually begins Thurs evening - info already posted)

Ownership - from whenever Voronwe puts up that thread

Eligibility under Article 6 - from whenever Imp puts up that poll

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 6:19 pm

Quote:
(vote actually begins Thurs evening - info already posted)
Jn, I don't understand the "info already posted" part of these parenthetical phrases. :scratch

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 7:25 pm

I already put into my own threads the times that discussion and vote would begin an end.

It took me some time to figure out all the dates and times, and I didn't want you to have to repeat that work which is why I put that info in this thread, but I had already put it into my B-forum threads so I didn't bother posting it again here.

Jn

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 7:33 pm

Okay, that was just an FYI note, not something that you wanted to have posted in the threads. I get it now. :roll: I'm a little slow these days.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 8:54 pm

At the rate the committee is moving, "slow" is not a word I would use to describe you. :D

Jn

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Jun , 2005 9:08 pm

Well, we can ease off the pedal now that all of the items needed for opening have been officially sent to the membership. :)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 5:47 am

Voronwe, Hobby and Prim -

thank you for cleaning up the b-forum. It is MUCH easier to read now.

Before everyone runs to the four winds - and I agree that we have all earned a respite - I am going to post several non-urgent things for your review before we take our break.

1. The Admin handbook is already posted

2. The Jurors handbook - already posted but needs to be updated for the loremaster, and that will be a big edit. I believe that I will retitle both of these handbooks, Handbook for Administrators and Handbook for Jurors, Mediators and Loremasters

3. I've cobbled together the summaries written for the ratification threads into one grand summary of the whole Charter (so far). I will post that for your review, as I believe that is what we will try to make as accessible as possible to all new members, rather than the full text Charter. (I will delay posting this until we enter the voting state of ratification.)

4. I've rewritten the Jury Room Stickies based on Article 5 and will post them for your review. Someone needs to replace the sticky in this forum using the Administrator i.d.

5. Before we leave, we need to create the agenda for the next part of our convention ... before we forget what we left undone. I will also start a thread for that and would like everyone to help remember things. ;)

GREAT JOB, YOU GUYS!
This committee and the first one, too. You got us to Grand Opening.

We'll take on some new members when we reconvene 'cos I know everybody gets burned out, and there are others who are itching to contribute.

Jn

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 6  [ 120 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: