board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

DISCUSSION: Read Only Forums for Non-Members

Post Reply   Page 4 of 7  [ 132 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
What do you think would be the fairest way to resolve the question of which forums should be readable by non-members when we open?
A separate poll should be held in each forum other then the ToE, Outside, and Board Administration Forums, which would not be readable by non-members.

73% [ 16 ]
A single ballot should be be devised to determine exactly which forums, if any, should be readable by non-members.

14% [ 3 ]
Two concurrent polls should run, one to determine whether any forums should be readable by non-members, and the other to determine which was would be readable if any are allowed.

9% [ 2 ]
Some other method (please describe)

5% [ 1 ]
Total votes: 22
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 May , 2005 7:42 pm

Since I have pretty much always been in favor of fully opening the boards yesterday if not sooner, anything that gets us closer to that gets a thumbs up from me. I vote open it all for reading except the obvious ones.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 May , 2005 9:13 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

But I STILL think that there is no reason why we can't just do a poll in each forum and decide it that way

Voronwe, I don't object to doing it that way. What I object to is thinking we would be able to decide among ourselves within a reasonable period of time which forums we should or should not vote on and then manage to fit all those choices into one poll. :Q

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 May , 2005 10:28 pm

Jn, I agree with you, but others have expressed steadfast resistance to having polls in each forum, which to my mind would be both the simplest and the fairest way of handling this.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 May , 2005 10:31 pm
Living in hope

I support the individual forum polls, too. It seems most fair to let the frequenters of a forum decide how readable it will be, rather than having a decision imposed by the board as a whole.

I'm sorry I'm not speaking up more about this. I'm very tired and RL is pretty draining at the moment.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 May , 2005 10:34 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

So if I frequent multiple forums, do I vote multiple times.
What is to stop me from voting in every forum?
Wouldn't it be easier to determine what forums people do not want readable?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 May , 2005 11:46 pm

Holby, anyone would be be able to vote in any forum they want to. Each vote would be a yes or no on that forum. I think we could safely say that we would not need to do votes in ToE or the Outside forums.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 May , 2005 4:06 am

Sure. I would want to vote in every forum that I frequent as to whether my words there would be scavenged by the bots.

Jn

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 May , 2005 5:15 am
Triathlete

:scratch I thought the Outside Forum was set up for when we send people OUTside - i.e. when they lose permission to be INside the rest of the boards. So why do we want to make Outside hidden? How can you hide the Outside of something whilst revealing the Inside?? Sorry, I'm probably getting too philosophical here.

I still don't see why we should have some of our house hidden from view. Your average newb is going to do one of the following:
1. sign up immediately, in which case the closed forum question is moot, 2. lurk for a while without signing up, and miss some of the more friendly and relaxed conversation that might be going on behind closed doors, and drift off because it seems so bland and impersonal.
3. lurk for a little while, then sign up, then see all the "good stuff" and kick him/herself for not signing up sooner.

Some of our best posters have been lurkers for a while, until the posting madness took them. I don't see why we should hide ourselves from them.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 May , 2005 6:12 am
Living in hope

Well, as Jn indicates, some people may not want to be immortalized in Google's archives for some sorts of posts. I know that if the Symposium becomes wide open, I will delete some of my posts there (with regret, because I was hoping to be able to ask for advice—but not at that price).

Outside and Business are board business, unlikely to attract people to us, and probably a place where people need to be free to be frank. I don't see why we need to put angry exchanges in the BikeRacks, for example, which members may later regret and ask to have deleted, out in public where every passerby can see them.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 May , 2005 7:02 am

We could eliminate the Outside Forum and just make people stand naked in front of a window. :D

Jn

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 May , 2005 8:52 am
Insolent Pup

My vote is I don't care which forums are readable to non-members except for those which require permissions even for members. Basically any administrative forum (business, jury room, bike racks, etc.) and ToE are out.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 May , 2005 1:47 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

I was under the same impression as Nin and Impy; that there would be read-access for anyone and everyone once we 'open'. With the exception one presumes of TOE, Outside & Admin Forum. Other wise we are surely going to end up processing more registrations that necessary for people who just wanted to have a look.

Another question which I had regarding opening...

Are we going to delete the 'Invites' forum?

Okay two questions...

Are we going to delete (of the TORC-related business) the 'Paths of the Dead' thread? I know a lot of people who posted in there in the understanding it was private. And I can think of a couple of people not yet here who 'we' may not want to read it.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 May , 2005 2:09 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

I agree with Leoba.
And I would answer your questions as yes and yes.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 May , 2005 3:28 pm

Yes and yes

Jn

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 May , 2005 4:49 pm
Living in hope

I think both should be gone, but moved to hidden storage rather than completely trashed, at least for a while. PotD is part of our history. And when it goes, if there is some major event at TORC I imagine another thread will start to discuss it. It won't have so much pain in it, of course, and will be written with the understanding that many more people can see it. But I would hate to see removing PotD from view as signifying that now we may never, ever discuss TORC here.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 May , 2005 5:10 pm
through the looking glass

What Prim said.
Edit: There were a couple of other overlapping threads within the same time frame (Oreo's obsession with b77 and one about Ted's Manwe meltdown) which have now sunk several Turf pages back. Both of those contained several very heated, not complimentary, posts about TORC, the bannings and TPTB.

I would suggest that those threads also be removed (archived) before we open. Many new TORC posters will trawl through back pages ... I know I would.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 May , 2005 6:27 pm

Yes and yes. And yes to Sassy's added comment.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 29 May , 2005 5:39 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I think people know my feelings about deleting threads, or really deleting history and trying to pretend it never happend. I absolutely hate it. Personally, I'd rather give people the option to edit their posts than delete. If we have to archive, fine, but deleting?...no, no, NO!

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 29 May , 2005 7:23 am
Living in hope

Eru, I agree with you, but I do see the reason for not wanting PotD in view. I have been an advocate for the continued existence and freedom of that thread ever since it started—but part of its purpose was venting, which belonged in the moment and was needed, but the need has passed. But the posts are still there, with all their naked pain and anger, and I'm afraid that people coming in to the board may read them and think that the posts still apply.

Asking everyone to come in and edit that pain away . . . it's the same as deleting the whole thread, or worse, and many people would probably refuse. Better to archive it, even hidden. Someday we may be able to face our history.

I am not one of the people who thinks we should all be just spiffy with respect to TORC by now, after three whole months—far from it. But on the other hand, the immediate pain is over now, and I think we should let it rest. Not deleted, but hidden.

As I said above, people should feel entitled to discuss TORC at will. I would like to see it contained in one thread out of consideration for those who find frank TORC discussion painful. But that thread should have a right to exist. I just hope there's no need to start one for a long time.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 29 May , 2005 4:14 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

There is more sensitive and personal information in Turf and the Symposium than just the old TORC controversies. Does anyone fear that individuals will mine these threads without bothering to register with us to post simply to arm themselves with ammunition for arguments elsewhere? The Dicisne forum seems a suitable showcase for our level of conversation without giving hostages to fortune, providing the contributors there are willing of course.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 7  [ 132 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
Jump to: