The Last Homely Site on the Web

War of the Worlds

Post Reply   Page 1 of 7  [ 121 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
Ara-anna
Post subject: War of the Worlds
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 5:07 pm
Daydream Believer

Yup I know I started a thread, but what the heck we are going to have one anyway.

Yes I will go see it.

But I really wanted to talk about Tom Cruise....well specifically his wives...and significant others. First wife Mimi Rogers was born in 1956, second wife Nicole Kidman born in 1969, not going to be third wife Cruz in the 70's, might be third wife (Katie) born in 1979. I think he is running the gambit....just sayin'. Boy gets around.

Anyway here's a linky dink to the site/trailer (thanks Di ;) )

http://www.waroftheworlds.com

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 6:16 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

Oh good, you found it! :D

I was going to ignore this, because I was cross that the story is set in modern America rather than in England. It's as if American audiences can't cope with anything non-American. For pete's sake.

And I don't much care for Cruise. Yes, I know he's done good work - and he looks as if he will be very good in this, as the blue-collar dad - but I still don't like him. He has Smug A-List Git written all over him.

Buuuut ... then I saw the trailer in the cinema, a few weeks ago, and I was IMPRESSED. I've watched all three trailers now (online) and they are all excellent. (Although the CRUISE ... SPIELBERG ... thing is rather annoying. See what I mean about Smug A-List Git?)

It looks dark and bleak and creepy. And it IS Spielberg. And that kid Dakota Fanning impressed me in the trailer ... her horrified disbelieving scream as she watches the world blow up from the back of the car really got to me.

So yep, I'll be seeing this one. :cool:

Great music too.

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 7:42 pm

Cruise is entertaining more often than not and is often rather good. Like Pitt, he is handicapped by boyish good looks and some hold that against him and refuse to consider his abilities.

Spielberg is due for a big hit -- his last three have had flashes of excellence but in the end all were just okay. MINORITY REPORT, AI, and CATCH ME --- all 3 could have been made by any number of workmanlike directors. I have always considered Spielberg one of the best and expect more from the man who gave us CE3K, SCHINDLER and so many others that are among the best films of all time.

The trailers for WOTWorlds look great -- but these days, almost all action trailers tend to look great. They will get my money on opening day and I only hope I get my monies worth.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 8:14 pm
Daydream Believer

See I never thought Cruise was good looking, rather plain and not too extraordinary in looks to me. Pitt on the other hand is very good looking.

I think the last thing I like Cruise in was Top Gun or maybe it was Risky Business...maybe Rainman, but I think Hoffman stole that out from under him.

I like the look of this movie however and will be going to see it. I like the trailer, seems like maybe Spielberg can do something with this. But that may be just me hoping, because it seems the greats of the past have begun to loose their midas touch in directing.

Of course its all Peter Jackson's fault.... ;)

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 8:58 pm
Takoyaki is love

Di of Long Cleeve wrote:
Oh good, you found it! :D

I was going to ignore this, because I was cross that the story is set in modern America rather than in England. It's as if American audiences can't cope with anything non-American. For pete's sake.
This bothers me a great deal too. I still do not get it. I was wondering why several major characters in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy had American Accents. Confused me to no end.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject: Re: War of the Worlds
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 9:14 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Ara-anna wrote:
First wife Mimi Rogers was born in 1956, second wife Nicole Kidman born in 1969, not going to be third wife Cruz in the 70's, might be third wife (Katie) born in 1979.
In order of significant others:
Mother of twins 1960
"The M word" 1961
The ex-wife 1965
Estel 1979

Alas the similarity stops there.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject: Re: War of the Worlds
Posted: Thu 02 Jun , 2005 12:33 pm
Gloriosus

I won't be seeing that one.

The trailer filled me with fear: fear that three thirds of the film would consist of children miraculously saved by hairbreadth, yelling brainlessly in the unlikeliest places, special effects (like Maddox said) becoming average (they're definitely not special anymore) and the rest is the gaping open mouth of Tom Cruise doing what he does best: gaping and running.

The idea of transplanting the plot from late-victorian imperial England to late-Bushian imperial USA could be brilliant if carried out correctly, but I doubt it.

War of the worlds by H. G. Wells is one of my favourite books, a masterpiece in language and fiction, describing the intrusion of a colonist force upon an underdeveloped land. Its natives are doomed, their braveness is insanity, their prayers futile and senseless.
The movie adaptation from 1955 managed to turn everything to its opposite; god sent bacteria to ward off the three-fingered uglies. I resent to see that 2005-style.

– – –

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Jun , 2005 12:40 am
Seeking Wimbledon

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

A review of the soundtrack

With clips too, but I'm waiting for the CD to listen to any of it

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Jun , 2005 4:41 am
Marshmallow Toaster

Can't wait for this one. Who cares where and when it's set? Wells wrote the story in a London that was contemporary at the time, and Spielberg is simply contemporizing (is that a word?) the story for his own audience. I see no problem. To me the film looks like Signs in a more epic setting, possibly resulting in the sort of film that Independence Day should have been. And that sounds quite exciting, and intriguing, IMO.

[ img ]

[ img ]

It really doesn't. :neutral:

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Jun , 2005 8:35 am

Well, I hope it's a darn sight better than 'Signs'. :D

It certainly looks as if it will be. :)

Score sounds terrific. :) I had trouble with Quicktime so couldn't listen to the clips. :rage: Pop-ups are disabled on my 'puter ... the disabling seems also to have knocked out the upgraded Quicktime. :D

(Who's doing the Narnia score, TTBK? Do we know yet?)

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Profile Quote
notlistening
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Jun , 2005 3:40 am

I think I will wait until some of you guys have seen it and post reviews. I trust yur reviews over newspapers and such. I dislike Cruise and am not happy that the aliens aren't Martians.
Quote:

This bothers me a great deal too. I still do not get it. I was wondering why several major characters in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy had American Accents. Confused me to no end.
:confused: me too.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Jun , 2005 5:58 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Di of Long Cleeve wrote:
Well, I hope it's a darn sight better than 'Signs'. :D
You don't like M. Night Shyamalan's movies do you Di? I really liked Signs. It was the first movie that scared me in a loooooooong time.

I don't like Cruise all that much, (except for in Last Samurai...really like that movie!), especially with all this Katie Holms crap going on :roll:, but I am looking forward to this movie. I saw a new trailer for it the other day and it looks quite good.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Jun , 2005 8:45 am

Eruname wrote:
You don't like M. Night Shyamalan's movies do you Di? I really liked Signs. It was the first movie that scared me in a loooooooong time.
Hey, I thought 'The Sixth Sense' was terrific. :) It really scared me too. :Q It has this really menacing and eerie atmosphere right from the word go, and it's beautifully maintained.

I haven't been quite as impressed by his subsequent films though. 'Signs' was interesting but really the aliens were only a peg to hang the main story, about Gibson's character's lack of faith, on.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 17 Jun , 2005 4:54 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Di of Long Cleeve wrote:
but really the aliens were only a peg to hang the main story, about Gibson's character's lack of faith, on.
I guess you can focus on that...it makes sense. The one thing I liked is how every little thing came together at the end...how everything had a purpose: the little girl leaving water around, the boy having asthma (sp?), Gibson's dead wife's message "Swing away Meril", Meril's strength having a use...I just like it when that happens. I suppose the same thing happened in The Village as well...and Unbreakable. I know he likes to do this sort of thing, but he always manages to surprise me and catch me off guard.

But back to the aliens. The part that really scared me, was the TV clip when you first see it. It seemed so real! It was truly frightening. And then to have all the bumping and banging around while they baracaded themselves in the house. That seemed so real as well. In real life, you're not going to be able to see what's outside. You're only going to be hearing things. The unknown is truly terrifying. I think a lot more fear can be brought about by not showing the viewer exactly what's going on.

So...we'll see how War of the Worlds does with this....to bring us back on topic. ;)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 6:50 am
Marshmallow Toaster

Quote:
And then to have all the bumping and banging around while they baracaded themselves in the house.
That part freaked me out, too, Eru. I love how Shyamalan tries to leave most things to your imagination. It makes everything a lot scarier.

Di: I would agree that the story is more about Gibson's character regaining his faith than about an alien invasion. But I don't see how that's a weakness.

[ img ]

[ img ]

It really doesn't. :neutral:

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 8:01 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Also, it appears the aliens are not Martians.

Probably Iraqis...illegal aliens... :roll:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Jun , 2005 4:03 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Everyone got their tickets?

Picked up mine last night. 7:20 baby!11

(Mars was especially bright last night. Veh veh cool.)

EDIT: don't get me started on what I think of Cruise these days. :) That cocksucker can just fuck right off until he has a licensed medical degree in his hand, and is pushing out a baby between his legs. Otherwise, don't dare be telling women these days how to deal with depression and that you're 100% correct because you've studied the history of psychiatry unlike everyone else in the world. I hope Miranda WiKi's his ass.

Burn him in effigy!!!!!1 [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Jun , 2005 4:57 pm

Sweet!! That Diablo gif kicks ass!!! :D

The movie reviews are getting me really excited about this movie. I didn't care much before reading some of the reviews but this sounds good. Plus it has a wonderfully Spielberg-patented sappy ending that nearly ruins the whole experience (according to the reviews; think A.I, apparently).

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Jun , 2005 5:04 pm

yovargas wrote:
Plus it has a wonderfully Spielberg-patented sappy ending that nearly ruins the whole experience (according to the reviews; think A.I, apparently).
And that's a good thing?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Jun , 2005 5:09 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I bet the ending has more to do with the source material than anything Spielberg came up with, yov. As some reviewers have pointed out, the book was more of a drama, whereas this is an action picture, so the ending comes across as boring, or a cop-out. "Unfinished" is another description I've heard. But then, the musical's ending is the part I'm most familiar with, and it doesn't exactly finish at the end of the story, so I don't believe I'll be too disappointed with the plot of Spielberg's version.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 7  [ 121 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
Jump to: