92% [ 45 ]
No.

8% [ 4 ]
Total votes: 49
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 10:07 pm
Insolent Pup

I just want to say that there is nothing "guiding" in the diddly diddly chocolate bean (I'm not calling it a mission statement since people just start making false assumptions). :roll:

It describes who we are and what we aspire to be. It is our mission for this site. Hal, I don't understand your argument because it is just confusing. Alatar pointed out something interesting, by the way.

Why is everyone talking about changing the wording when V already said that this thing sinks or swims as is?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 10:10 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

TED, the only wording change that we are seriously considering is the small rearrangement that Frelga suggested.

It is like the difference between "little brown dog," and "brown little dog." Once you hear them both, you realize that one is a more idiomatic formulation than the other, even though both say the same thing.

Jn

Last edited by Jnyusa on Tue 07 Jun , 2005 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
IdylleSeethes
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 10:13 pm

TED,

We are considering a minor rearrangement of existing words to phrasing some of us think is clearer. Voronwe said we could do if no one objected.

Cerin has objected.

Idylle in exile: the view over the laptop on a bad day
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 10:23 pm

Hobby also said that she prefers it to remain the way it is, if I remember correctly.

And Faramond said it was more poetic the way it is now, even if it is more grammatically correct the other way. :P

Let me pose this question: is the anyone to whom this is a "make or break" issue regarding approving the Mission Statement?

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 10:43 pm
WYSIWYG

Cerin wrote:
I don't believe it is more correct gramatically. I believe it is a stylistic choice. I believe the words mean the same thing when 'gather' comes before 'from around the world' as when it comes after.
Exactly my opinion! :)

Sorry to be a nuisance about this, but just grammatical standard isn't always the most important thing, IMO. If inversion makes something more poetical, then the standard doesn't count - you'd have to rewrite half of LOTR if you wanted to have it correspond to rules of good, standard English, I think.

I don't see how "where friends gather from around the world" implies more of a physical gathering than " where friends from around the world gather" - both are the same kind of gathering.

The difference it makes to me is in the different stress caused by the inversion, and I think if the first version makes you think of really gathering more than the second one, then that's mostly because in the first version the word "gathering" gets enough stress to be noticed, while in the second version it's tucked in so far at the end that it doesn't have the same impact on the imagination.
But that's just the point: the fact that we come together, even from all over the world, is the main point, IMO, so that's the part that should get stressed more. The second version would say that we are from all over the world, but we still come together - it's subtly different, I think.

Although, what's most important to me is rhythm. The second version just doesn't scan as well as the original one.

(Just seen that Faramond noticed the poetic value of the original version, too! :)

It's not like I would vote against it if it were changed, I just don't see the reason.
(Edit: and as it has to do with language, I of course like to try to make everybody appreciate little poetic subtleties, hence this long sermon ;) )

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 11:05 pm

:( In my opinion Frelga's version is also the more poetic. It displays a finer command of the language. But I'm not going to vote against the mission statement because of that.

Jn

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 11:06 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

I gather "gather" hasn't gathered a large enough gathering, then.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 11:10 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Am I correct in stating that the constitution can be amended?
Would it be a bad thing to turn a blind eye to this and revisit it when we revisit other issues?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 11:17 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

truehobbit wrote:
but just grammatical standard isn't always the most important thing, IMO.
When you're writing an important document I'd say it's pretty darned important. ;)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Faramond
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 11:18 pm
Digger

I did say when I mentioned the versions that I really don't care which one gets chosen. I truly don't care which one gets used ... don't take my comment as an objection.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 11:34 pm
b77 whipping boy

I apologize for objecting in the primary thread asking for objections, and then attempting to clarify when people asked for it.

People keep saying my argument is confusing. I guess I can understand that. I myself am confused about the need for such a statement.

In my experience, Mission statements are written to provide motivation to people who aren't privy to all of the information about the company/organization, and thus need to be told succictly what the company/organization goal is.

We certainly don't have that problem here. We are what we are. We have rules in place to handle situations, but as long as those situations don't occur, we're simply a group of poeple that enjoys talking to each other frequently. That's it. We don't need a succinct statement to tell us that. The board changes every day, with every new thread, new post, and eventually new member. How can you define that?

Board 77 is its posters, not its bylaws. That's why I find all of this confusing.

I apologize if this post is seen as obstructive.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Faramond
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 11:38 pm
Digger

I'm not actually suggesting a change to the text ... I know that's off limits, and I agree with that decision to keep it off limits.

So what follows is just for the sake of fun ...

Here is what I think is most poetic:

Board77 is a democratically governed internet community where members from around the world gather in friendship and conversation. Our discussions ...

Yes, I know it's perhaps a bit spotty grammatically ... but I like dispensing with cultivate and engage, which feel like filler to me.

I like the overlapping word clusters of "gather in friendship" and "friendship and conversation".

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 11:57 pm
WYSIWYG

Eruname wrote:
truehobbit wrote:
but just grammatical standard isn't always the most important thing, IMO.
When you're writing an important document I'd say it's pretty darned important. ;)
But neither version is grammatically wrong - it just doesn't conform to some standard for formal writing style. Like the thing about not beginning a sentence with a conjunction, which when used in the Bible has a poetic effect, and editors probably wouldn't change it just to make it "correct".
I think our Mission Statement is something that should be written to have an effect on the reader, that's why scansion is important to me.

Of course that's a matter of individual perception, too, as Jny proves. :(
(For me, displaying a fine command of language isn't necessarily the same as sounding poetic. You can have that command and not aim at sounding poetic at all. So it becomes obvious how different perceptions are of what even is poetic.)

I don't know, if more people are unhappy with the original version than happy with it, maybe we should just change it nevertheless? It seems that Cerin, Faramond and me are the only ones who prefer the sound of the original version, so why should we overrule the majority?

(I'd still suggest to read both versions out loud to yourselves - feel the difference in structure: breathing, rhythm of the stresses! ;) )

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 12:05 am
Insolent Pup

Quote:
In my experience, Mission statements are written to provide motivation to people who aren't privy to all of the information about the company/organization, and thus need to be told succictly what the company/organization goal is.
I just want to say that I've never come across this sentiment in all of the clubs I've joined that have mission statements. The diddly diddly chocolate bean is just statement of focus that the organization is going to take. I was on Men's Lacrosse in college, and our missions statement was something like: to play lacrosse and have fun. It was mostly stating the obvious. But, with Board77, a message board community with no obviously stated goal, some sort of focus is necessary.

I guess that's all I'll say for that.

I'm not really picky between the two gathering related choices. I don't like the list of possible discussion types, but since that is not up for changing, I'll just have to decide whether I that's important enough for me to vote it down or not.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 12:13 am

Lo! Let it be known that board77 shall be a virtual haven for socially-challenged geeks from every corner of the universe who gather together like fish eggs in a jar of caviar seeking the illusion of human contact and cyber-discourse. ...

Or the Yoda version:

Democratically governed internet community, Board77 is. Gather from around the world to cultivate friendships and engage in discussion, our members do. ...

:devil:

And no, I haven't seen Episode III yet.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 12:23 am

:LMAO:

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 12:28 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Ow! My eyes!!!!!

:P

Let me hit quote to see if I can read it....

*reads*

LOL Voronwe...especially the first one. :LMAO:

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
IdylleSeethes
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 12:28 am

The only thing left to say is that anyone who thinks there could ever be a chance of a group of us coming to some agreement about a replacement, without a pending board opening hanging over their heads, is completely delusional.

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

Idylle in exile: the view over the laptop on a bad day
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Athrabeth
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 12:37 am
Nameless

Voronwe wrote:
Lo! Let it be known that board77 shall be a virtual haven for socially-challenged geeks from every corner of the universe who gather together like fish eggs in a jar of caviar seeking the illusion of human contact and cyber-discourse. ...
Hmmmmmmmm.........brutal, yet poetic. :horse:
However, I object to the word "jar" and submit that "tin" would more precisely fit here as a globally acceptable term for a container which........um.......contains caviar.

I would also like to see "cyber-discourse" changed to "cyber-intercourse" for no particular reason, except that it makes me giggle more. :cool:

That being said.............

My reader's ear is more comfortable with Frelga's suggestion, but the original version is just as understandable, IMO. I see no real tangible differences between the two, so either work for me. :)

[ img ]
"The pie that can be eaten is not the Eternal Pie."

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 1:04 am
A green apple painted red

Oh, for heaven's sake! :damnfunny I had no idea that this was such a big deal! If Cerin and TH are so attached to the original version, I'm not going to spend time arguing about it.

Although I like St. Ranger's version with geeks and caviar much better. Not only is it accurate and concise, it throws into sharp relief what I see as the biggest threat to the future well-being of this board. It just takes itself too damn seriously.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 10  [ 192 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 710 »
Jump to: