board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

ROTK EE Discussion Thread (complete with spoilers)

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 45 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Teherin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Dec , 2004 12:06 pm
Titch

Wow .. I actually managed to see it :)
Ours arrived on Friday .. Chris and I MADE TIME to see it together on Saturday ... loved it and it brought back a lot of memories of last year and the GOTF :)

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Dec , 2004 1:22 pm

Rodia wrote:
So sue me, I was watching it on my mother's computer with the phone ringing constantly and my mother coming in every now and then- I had to say 'LOOK MUM LOOK THIS IS A GOOD PART'....and then she'd walk out just before the good part began.

:evil:
*Pats Ro friendly on the head*

:halo:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 19 Dec , 2004 3:48 pm

I'm avoiding like hell all the ROTK EE spoilers since my copy hasnt arrived yet from the UK :rage: but curiosity is killing me...
Could any of you, lucky enough to have seen the film, confirm if there is any extra dialogues in Elvish or Anglo-Saxon? :D

Get him bathed and send him to my tent!...
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 19 Dec , 2004 4:42 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

None, I'm afraid, but in the first documentary on Disc 3: The Legacy Of JRRT, there's a documentary on how he evolved the two main elvish languages.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 19 Dec , 2004 4:47 pm

Damn! po'ed

Thanks Steve. :wink:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 19 Dec , 2004 11:02 pm
Milk and kisses

Hi, I'm just back from watching the whole thing (the 3 EEs) and as you can imagine I'm shattered...

Bré, like Steve said, there are no extra lines in other than English, sorry. :( RotK does suffer a bit in that department by comparisn with the other two.

But it has Quenya. :mrgreen:

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Dec , 2004 12:14 am

I enquired about "Elvish", so that includes Quenya. :wink:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Dec , 2004 12:17 am
Milk and kisses

But there's nothing new, just Aragorn singing "Et Earello Endorenna utúlien..." :mrgreen:

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Dec , 2004 12:34 am

I like the word 'utulien'. It sounds like the Polish 'utule' which means 'I'll hold you to make you feel better'.

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Dec , 2004 3:47 pm

Has anyone recognised Tolkien's voice saying "A Elbereth Gilthoniel, silivren penna míriel" when Aragon is trying to master the Palantir and sees Arwen dying?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Dec , 2004 4:29 pm
Gloriosus

Breogan - no. Did they actually use a sound clip? Or channel his ghost?

"Et Earello Endorenna utúlien..." sounds Elvish to me. What does he say? "Come all ye loaden and worried ones, and get polish group hugs..." ?
I just saw there was an alternate shot of him "just speaking" these rites. Augh, it was as poetic as Rumsfeld announcing somwthing.

– – –

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Dec , 2004 8:58 pm
Milk and kisses

Et Earello Endorenna utúlien
Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn´ambar-metta

Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come
It shall be my dweling, and that of my descendants, until the end of the world

(from memory) :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Dec , 2004 5:38 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I watched it yesterday (and the day before yesterday) - and my husband fell asleep.....

and in the middle of the coronation said: "what are they already? Gremlins? Gobbelins?" :help: :rage:

And it was okay, even if not as breathtaking as the two precendent EEs - maybe it's a question of getting used to it. And TTT needed an EE, whereas ROTK was more or less all right before already.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Dec , 2004 8:26 pm

Well, ROTK was already the longest Theatrical, and there weren't all that many things added. Instead of a lot of short new scenes, we have the long Isengard, Corsairs, and MoS sequences. The rest is variations in editing. ROTK was breathtaking enough before the EE.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Dec , 2004 8:37 pm

I remember awarding an 4/10 to the TE of ROTK after having seen it once. On following viewings, it managed to score a 5.
After having watched the EE once, and probably being a victim of the first view syndrome, I give it almost a 6/10...
I reckon I quite safely say, to me, ROTK has been the great disappointment in this trilogy.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Dec , 2004 9:02 pm

And I loved it most of the three... but that may be because it's also my favourite book of the three, plus the best bits of TTT...

I don't know. I'm past nitpicking, I just sit and enjoy.

[ img ]

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Dec , 2004 10:31 pm

Rodia

It is my favourite part of the book too, hence the disappointment.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Dec , 2004 10:48 pm

The thing with me is my disappointment has a very short attention span. When I saw FOTR for the first time, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. By the eighth time I was set on laughing. I guess I just accepted PJ's adaptation. Sometimes it's just dumb, like Osgiliath, but I ignore those times. Sometimes it's a matter of taste, like the washing up liquid army of the dead, and for those times I just adapt my taste. It's not how I saw it, but I can see it my own way when I read the book. It's not gonna change in the movie, might as well accept it and enjoy it.

(I actually bought a glow in the dark King of the Dead action figure today. He kicks ass. And was cheap, too.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Dec , 2004 11:53 am

Well, I think I've kept an open mind throughout the whole trilogy.
Even being quite the purist, I understand the inner difficulties of telling such a story in such specific format. I also understand this is PJ's vision of LOTR, and so, certain changes have not bothered me much or at all, and I believe a few of these changes are great calls made by PJ, which enriched the story, even surpassing the original material JRRTolkien wrote... but ROTK still is a great disappointment. :cry:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Dec , 2004 12:19 pm
Tricksy Elf!

I am with Breogan on this, I see the films and book as two seperate tellings of the same tale. A bit like reading Mort d'Arthur and watching 'King Arthur'.

I do enjoy both, and I think I am over the dissapointment of ROTK now. Must watch EE over the weekend to see :mrgreen:

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 45 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: