board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Movies and Music - Should they be renamed?

Post Reply   Page 5 of 8  [ 158 posts ]
Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7 8 »
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 3:34 pm
The man, the myth, the monkey

Primula_Baggins wrote:
I think the Hall of Fire is m00bies, Ang.
Oh, the Hall of Fire is sooo not m00bies, Prim. It's got way too much serious discussion going on. It's missing the sarcasm. It's missing teh silliness. Mostly, it's missing that rampant xenophobic elitism that's so pathological that it borders on paranoia. That's what I miss the most - the xenophobic elitism.

Of course, I realize that m00bies can never be recreated. All such glory is fleeting. Or if you prefer Latin, sic transit gloria mundi. The highest tribute we can pay to m00bies is to leave its glories in the past, and allow the fora on this board to grow organically into whatever destinies await them. With a crowd like this one, it's bound to turn out really cool!

So it's probably best not to use the name "m00bies". It would sound like we're still living in the past. But I still think it would be nice to pay tribute to the forum that we loved so much. So I propose that we call the Movies Forum "Sic Transit Gloria m00bies". It's Latin (mostly), it's subtle, and it pays tribute while still acknowleging that m00bies is no more.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 3:55 pm
Living in hope

But it's sad, Ang, and it looks back instead of forward.

I think the real reason there won't be a single forum equivalent to M00bies is a good one: a lot of the lighter aspects of many former forums are now gathered in one place in The Turf. The monthly theme thread is there, along with B77 versions of long-running Talk and Manwe threads. That's wonderful because people stir around more. I post in threads there that I never saw the TORC versions of, and I now call people friends whom I knew only by name before, if that.

As for the Hall of Fire, I think there will be fun to be had there, especially as more of us who want to post there get freed up from Rangerdom and the constitutional convention. It will never be a universe unto itself—but again, I'd say that's a good thing.

That's not to say I don't mourn what's gone. But I'd rather look ahead with hope.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 4:20 pm
The man, the myth, the monkey

Just so you know, Prim - I'm only about half serious here. I too would rather look ahead. I just couldn't resist the cleverness of "Sic Transit Gloria m00bies."

Onward into the future!
Prim wrote:
As for the Hall of Fire, I think there will be fun to be had there, especially as more of us who want to post there get freed up from Rangerdom and the constitutional convention.
So what kinda fun didja have in mind? =:)

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 4:22 pm
Living in hope

Well, I stop Rangering tomorrow, basically—I leave town and my term ends while I'm gone.

Meetcha there next week, and doubtless something will turn up. :devil:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 7:26 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Y'know, Prim, I'm feeling kinda sentimental. Prepare yourself. :P

(Maybe it's all the grouting I'm doing today... head down all day, blood floods brain, brain cells awash in unaccustomed levels of oxygen... or something...)

But... anyway...

I see that you are leaving tomorrow, and that you are a Ranger Babe no longer after today, and it makes me realize how very much I have appreciated you and your kind, wise, timely efforts on this board.

You really have a knack for saying what needs to be said in a gentle way; you have a way of putting big-time effort into huge projects with endless grace and humor.

You were my friend in M00bies, and I admired you greatly there. We had so much fun, harassing holby, dancing together in the theme thread (holding hands, but no higher than the wrists, of course ;) ) and redecorating threads together. Do you realize that I've known you, and we've chatted and visited, for over a year?

But here I feel like I've seen so much more of Prim, so many more levels; almost a peek into layers of Primness, revealed from challenge to challenge.

And every level revealed is more and more eye-poppingly impressive.

Wow.

You are truly a gem, through and through, and I feel unbelievably lucky to call you friend.

To Prim!!!1

:cheers

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 7:30 pm
Living in hope

Oh, Anthy— :bawl:

You're utterly deluded, of course, but thank you for sharing it! And for being such a good friend for so long. :Q

We shall dance again in August, and abuse Holby to our hearts' content at all times.

:bawl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 7:51 pm
Insolent Pup

I didn't really read all 5 pages of this thread because I just want to comment on the initial few posts. I agree with changing the movies forum name to something more recognizable, but not necessarily something Tolkien. I know we all came here due to a Tolkien site, but we aren't exactly a fan site. As to the Latin, it's nice, but is it necessary? Keep the umbrella title in Latin, because that's no big deal, but the movies form needs a shorter, and a bit easier to understand name. If anyone know any easily recognizable Latin term that isn't as long... go for it.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 8:07 pm
Another bright red day

Primula_Baggins wrote:
Well, I stop Rangering tomorrow, basically—I leave town and my term ends while I'm gone.
:Q :bawl:

Thanks for all of your hard work. :cheers:

The forum subtitles look good. :)

No clue what we should name Movies. If we go with English, perhaps The Screening Room? Not sure what a screening room IS, but it was the only thing that occured to me. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 8:30 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Have a great vacation, Prim!

You've earned it!

Jn :love:

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 8:33 pm
Living in hope

Thanks, Jn! I'll be back Tuesday afternoon and will try to catch up in the Jury Room, but obviously don't hold up any votes for me.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 8:48 pm
Not so deep as a well

:love: Prim!

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 9:17 pm
WYSIWYG

Prim :bawl:

Have a good vacation! :hug:

I can't even imagine the Ranger team without you, though. :(

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 9:23 pm
WYSIWYG

A bit further up in this thread, IS wondered why we don't have titles in German, seeing there are so many Germans here... :whistle: :D
Ath wrote:
The ability to clearly present ideas and opinions, the ability to connect with others, does not rest upon "classical training" (and Alatar, you have these abilities "in spades", my friend! )
That's what I've been trying to tell him, too. Only I never can present my ideas as clearly as you! :bawl:
;) :)
Ang wrote:
Oh, the Hall of Fire is sooo not m00bies, Prim
And hurray for that, too!

We are not here to rebuild past cliques, but to build a new community and crack new jokes, so we can laugh all of us together!

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 10:10 pm
through the looking glass

Prim.Primmy.Primula!

:love:

If we ever decide to hold b77 awards, I am going to single handedly make absolutely certain you receive the Bon Vivant trophy!

[shamless plagiarizing]
You have completed your Ranger assignment with such a deft touch, smoothing frowns here, encouraging smiles there, and always with your finger on the pulse of the board. You have worked tirelessly (alongside other committee members) to open the board. Thank you.

I'm proud to call you my friend.

No. Really.
I am.

:D
As for renaming the fora. As long as people post there I don't
have a particularly strong opinion one way or t'other.
Vidistine nuper imagines moventes bonas is a bit of a mouthful but we are a fairly eclectic group. We could call it Movie Geekdom if you like. :D

[/b]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 10:15 pm

truehobbit wrote:
Prim :bawl:

Have a good vacation! :hug:

I can't even imagine the Ranger team without you, though. :(
Ain't that the truth? Thank you so much for everything, Prim. You have truly been (and will always be) an inspiration to me. :love:

Profile Quote
Athrabeth
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 10:26 pm
Nameless

Prim!

When I found out you were going off on a little vacation, I Googled (naturally) and found this.

Somehow, it just seemed so.........so..............Primly. :halo:

[ img ]

Bon voyage to the Bon Vivant!! :cheers

Oh, and another thing............................what Anthy said!! :love: :love: :love:

[ img ]
"The pie that can be eaten is not the Eternal Pie."

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 11:13 pm
Living in hope

:bawl: I'm not even leaving until tomorrow :bawl: and you're all being so nice I had to take my pulse to make sure I was still around. . . .

All I can say is that all you people are more than worth whatever I've been able to do to help out.

I love this board, and I'm very proud of what we've all built here—but structure and procedures and goals, in the end, are a side issue.

A message board is the people who post there. (I have learned this well. . . .) And you people are the best.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 11:25 pm
WYSIWYG

Quote:
I had to take my pulse to make sure I was still around. . . .
:LMAO:

And

:bawl:

And

:grouphug:

And

:cheers

And what a lovely pic you found there, Ath! :)

From our key principles:

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Jun , 2005 6:06 am
Triathlete

OK, are you ready for this? It's the perfect name. It's English, and it's Latin, and it's probably several other languages as well:

Media

Huh? Waddaya thinK?

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Jun , 2005 6:36 am
Living in hope

. . . which means books and music and movies? But Tolkien doesn't really fit. . . .

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 8  [ 158 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7 8 »
Jump to: