board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

OPENING PARTY TODAY!!!!! See sched. first post.

Post Reply   Page 4 of 8  [ 155 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 68 »
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Jul , 2005 11:09 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Hey, I'm glad the postponement is now official. I had a word with Mossy earlier, and my view is that we should celebrate because we feel like it, not because we said we would. We are all TPTB here, and we're needn't going to carry on even when people think something's a bad idea. I don't want it to look as if a party has been rained on, or that any one person could have contributed to this, but the fact is that a significant number of people aren't feeling up for a party right now, and I'm fine with holding off until everyone's happy again. :)

Besides, given a bit more time it will be teh ewl. :D

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Erinhue
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 12:08 am
Iluvatar's Bright Spirit

:rage: And I was looking forward to a good party. :cool: Ah well just let me know when and I'll do m'best ta be here. Could be fun.

You would know the secret of Death?
But how shall you find it unless you seek it in the heart of life. For Life and Death are one even as the river and the sea are one.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 1:57 am
Same as it ever was

Well, in RL here it literally rained all day as well, in mere minutes we will drive down to our local fireworks viewing spot to see if they will even take place - I cannot get any word if they have been cancelled......

In my little opinion, it is far better to try and carry off a good party when those that will be involved with it are in the spirit and mood to do it. So, a delay of a matter of days is a GOOD thing if it will let people recharge, which seems to be something that many here need!!

Think of me if they DO have our fireworks, sitting on a quilt but still getting a nice soggy butt........it is just WET here!! :) (I do not own those little handy mini folding chairs, but, hey, it IS July 4th, and I just love fireworks!! But this does not extend to the emotional kind....... :( )

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
DaMuzikMan
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 3:36 am
Just beyond the surreal

Eruname... don't bother, I'll send you a link to the MIDI mock-up I made once I post it online... you can hear the whole thing.

EDIT: better yet... what version of Finale do you have? I might be able to send you a score through email.

[ img ]
He's baaaaaack!

[ img ] Thanks Lidless!

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 3:40 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I have Finale 2002 and also Finale Notepad 2005.

You may become the person I come to when confused by Finale. :P My comp professor moved to a new school and is hard to reach now. :(

Profile Quote
DaMuzikMan
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 4:02 am
Just beyond the surreal

I have the full blown-out version of Finale 2005... I might be able to send you the score, not sure.
If you could PM your email adress that'd be great. :cool:

I'm not the best teacher of Finale, BTW... a lot of what I do involves looking at the help manual and praying I can find something that makes sense.

[ img ]
He's baaaaaack!

[ img ] Thanks Lidless!

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 4:16 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Oh man, I'm glad someone else has that problem with Finale.

I bought it about three years ago to upload scores and I haven't succeeded to upload a single entire score. But I don't have a music keyboard and the help manual is really geared toward people who do.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
DaMuzikMan
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 4:45 am
Just beyond the surreal

What's bad, jny, is that I use Finale as a job... and for classes... and I spend up to five or six hours at a time on it, and sometimes I still don't get it.

For a performance once, I had to format a three-movement suite up for an octet from scratch... add phrasings, dynamics, space the staves professionally, extract parts, the whole deal. I got on anticipating spending an hour on each movement...

Six hours later I was starting the second movement, printing my 200th sheet of paper, and debating on whether to get really drunk afterwards.

Finale, once you get used to it, is a great program, and it does the best jobs on transcripts and mockups that I can think of.

However, if you want just-nice-enough-to-read, no-mockup-necessry, and user-friendly, there are better programs out there.

[ img ]
He's baaaaaack!

[ img ] Thanks Lidless!

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 5:08 am

DaMuzikMan wrote:
For a performance once, I had to format a three-movement suite up for an octet from scratch... add phrasings, dynamics, space the staves professionally, extract parts, the whole deal. I got on anticipating spending an hour on each movement...
Adding all that other stuff is a pain in the ass! I remember having to space staves and make it look good....though actually my teacher did most of it! :P

[/quote]Six hours later I was starting the second movement, printing my 200th sheet of paper, and debating on whether to get really drunk afterwards.[/quote]

Dude, you're quick. I guess you use that quick entry or whatever it's called. I've yet to figure it out.

What do you mean by you wanted to upload scores Jn?

Ya know, we may have to start a Finale thread. ;)

Profile Quote
DaMuzikMan
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 5:46 am
Just beyond the surreal

Quote:
Dude, you're quick. I guess you use that quick entry or whatever it's called. I've yet to figure it out.
Quick entry has only made my life hell, I don't use it for anything except changing the beaming of parts.
I prefer Mass Moving and editing from there... and when you're applying articulation, did you know that if you hold down your mouse button and drag your cursor like you're cropping an image from Infranview you can apply articulations to all the notes you highlight?

I guess it helps that I made my own Menu Shortcuts (It's a plug-in option)... like hitting F5 starts playback, F6 stops it, Ins open the MIDI menu and selects editing Velocities, Alt-Ins opens Note durations...

I also programmed the Metatools for MassMoving. Shift+6 through Shift+9 will open up a transpose option, and once you set it Finale saves it so that if you just hit "6" or "8" or "7" when you're in MassMove it'll transpose your selection. I have mine set at 6=up an octave, 7=down an octave, 8=up a diatonic fifth, and 9=up by step.
So if I want to move a passage up a third, I type 99. Down a third, 987. up a fourth, 98798 (or just 999). up a sixth, 89. Up a ninth, either 88 or 69. It's a mental guessing game, but once you set up your own system and use it often it kind of becomes second nature.

Dynamics are the hardest thing for me. I have a tendency to just stick a note at the beginning of the score saying "all dynamics are at the performer's discretion".

[ img ]
He's baaaaaack!

[ img ] Thanks Lidless!

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 6:05 am

Eru, I've written a bit of music, for strings mostly, but I've always written the scores out longhand. I finally broke down and bought Finale because there were a couple High School teachers that were using some of my arrangements. I thought it would save time, and if the conductor wanted a clarinet instead of an oboe or something, you know, the transposition would be a snap. But I can do it so much faster by hand than I can do it Finale I feel like I totally wasted my money.

And it's an occassional hobby, you know, not something I do on a daily basis.

A couple of the high school conductors I know used to use Cake Walk but I don't think you can load very many instruments with that program.

Jn

Profile Quote
DaMuzikMan
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 6:33 am
Just beyond the surreal

I started a thread in Muzik so we can expand the discussion...

starts packing bags

[ img ]
He's baaaaaack!

[ img ] Thanks Lidless!

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 7:05 am
Marshmallow Toaster

What, no party? :( Can I still get drunk if I want to? :drunk:

[ img ]

[ img ]

It really doesn't. :neutral:

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 7:23 pm

DaMuzikMan wrote:
I started a thread in Muzik so we can expand the discussion...

starts packing bags
Here's a link for Jn since I really want to keep discussing this with her as well:

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... um=board77

See you guys over there.

Wingy, I don't see why not. ;)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 7:40 pm
WYSIWYG

Jny, I had no idea you were a musician, too, in addition to all your other accomplishments! :Q

WingedBalrog, get drunk if you feel like it and then post in the Drunken thread. :D
(I'd have something myself, if I didn't have to work tomorrow. ;) )

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 9:15 pm

Thanks for the new thread, DMM, and the link, Eru.

I'm all tied up in the Jury Room right now but I;ll get over there as soon as I can. This may be my chance finall to get Finale straightened out in my head!

Hobby - I could never earn my living as a musician! But I did learn at a fairly young age how to write music down, and I have a lot of musician friends who can compose but don't know how to write it down. Or they're guitarist-singers and want a violin part for something ... I've done that quite a few times. I did one backup violin/cello arrangement for a pop music piece that went to the top 40 in Japan LOL!

My youngest daughter is a pretty talented violinist and a lot of my contacts in the music world were related to the youth orchestras she played in, but as she's not pursuing this for a career I've also had less and less occassion to do anything musical.

Jn

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 11:21 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Jnyusa's had a number in the hit parade too!!!! :Q

Just make certain we sweep this place for kryptonite.

On a selfish level I'm glad there's a postponement as my home connection is bust, I'm having to come in from sick leave to quietly post today. (I work on my own in a remote office - with bars on the windows :neutral: )

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 1:50 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Damn. Can you edit the first post in this thread so it's easy to find, along with the new date? Thx.

Damn. Not today. Damn, damn, damn. Well I guess I was a major factor in the need for a change of date. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

To use the German term for a speeding ticket - Bloodyfuckendamnenblast.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 1:52 pm
Per aspera ad astra

TheLidlessEyes wrote:
Bloodyfuckendamnenblast.
That is not German! That is Lidless.....

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Jul , 2005 3:44 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

What would a Swiss German know of this?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 8  [ 155 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 68 »
Jump to: