Post Reply   Page 16 of 19  [ 376 posts ]
Jump to page « 114 15 16 17 18 19 »
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 10 Aug , 2005 7:12 am
Tricksy Elf!

Tinsel_the_Elf wrote:
bad, underage fanfic writer wrote:
Draco was nervous. He had always knownhw would get his veela inheritance at sixteen but he didn't know it would slowly drive him crazy.
Must have been a bummer to find out after all that time Draco was a she :LMAO:
Quote:
Thank you, Meneltarma, for directing us to the link for that site! :LMAO:
Yes Melly, that was fab, stunning, I am in awe :Q

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 10 Aug , 2005 2:27 pm
Not so deep as a well

Hmmm...Tolstoy fanfic...I mean, Napoleonic Russia might as well be a fantasy land...

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Aug , 2005 1:42 pm
Fading Softly

You're welcome. That site is an important part of my life...last week's entries included one where Dumbledore was pregnant with Voldemort's baby.
Quote:
I love you, Albus, and this is how you repay me? With lies and lack of erections?
Quote:
Erectus Disappearus!

Profile Quote
DaMuzikMan
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Aug , 2005 8:00 pm
Just beyond the surreal

Meneltarma wrote:
Quote:
Erectus Disappearus!
Don't mean to get technical... but it should really be more along the lines of Erectus Disapperatus, right? :rolls:

Wow, never knew slash was so disturbing...

[ img ]
He's baaaaaack!

[ img ] Thanks Lidless!

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Aug , 2005 8:50 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Not all slash is disturbing.

Just Harry Potter slash. :D:P;)

Alright, I'll fess up, a while back I actually followed Satch's(?) link and read 'Time Out of Place' (?). Loved every moment, and it actually changed the way I view the Harry Potter universe, and how I interpreted the end of HBP. :)

*~Pips~*

Edit for clarity

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Rowanberry
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 12:35 pm
Can never be buggered at all

OK, I finally have read both the book and this thread...

Late as I am, about everything has been discussed to death already, but a couple of comments still:

I also wondered if that was the real Tonks in the corridor, because she acted so strange.

Wormtail will certainly play a role in Voldemort's demise. He has done anything and everything for his master and gets only treated like dirt in return; he owes his life to Harry; and I don't think he was at school sorted as Gryffindor for nothing...

People, you and me, are not trusted. The right doesn't like us because we don't do what we're told by our betters, and the left doesn't like us because it secretly thinks we would be on the right given half a chance and a lottery win. And both think we should not make our own decisions, because we might make the wrong ones. ~ Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 12:47 pm

Interesting point about Wormtail being in Gryffindor, Rowan. I had forgotten that!

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 2:48 pm
Not so deep as a well

His middle name isn't Grima or anything is it? Just askin' :D

Profile Quote
Leafy
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 3:20 pm
Lying among the Daisies

Pippin4242 wrote:

Alright, I'll fess up, a while back I actually followed Satch's(?) link and read 'Time Out of Place' (?). Loved every moment, and it actually changed the way I view the Harry Potter universe, and how I interpreted the end of HBP. :)

*~Pips~*
I admit i read it too, and loved it. :oops: Nasty, but sooo well written. Ack...

~Leafy~

Let's get Fizzical

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 3:51 pm

I hope it's not out of line to say this, but I would really like to be able to discuss Harry Potter without having all the fan fic brought into the mix. I don't read it and don't want to read it. Would it be possible to take that discussion to a new thread? I don't want to stifle discussion here, but I'm a little frustrated that serious talk about the book keeps veering off into the world of slash/ships.

If I'm the only one who thinks this, carry on. :)

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 3:58 pm
of Vinyamar

Actually, I'm with you on this Wampuscat, but since the thread had slowed down anyway I wasn't too pushed.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Queen_Beruthiel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 14 Aug , 2005 11:13 am

I'll third that.

So what is going on with Tonks? I just don't buy the love-lorn maiden explanation for her being outside the RoR and touching her arm. And what was she doing in Hogsmeade when Harry fell over Mundungus' stash? She seemed pretty cool about that. Has Harry misread the situation (again) or are Tonks and Dung in cahoots in lifting Sirius' possessions?

Has she been Imperiused? Or was that Draco + Polyjuice outside the RoR?

Profile Quote
DaMuzikMan
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 14 Aug , 2005 5:19 pm
Just beyond the surreal

Well, Tonks is part of Harry's guard at Hogwarts, I think it'd be typical of her to show up in odd locations...

[ img ]
He's baaaaaack!

[ img ] Thanks Lidless!

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 14 Aug , 2005 8:08 pm

Or was Tonks possibly planted by Dumbledore? She convinces Mundungus that she's helping him go through Sirius' possessions, while on the lookout for a particular object (she doesn't know why).

Just a theory. I'm not sure it holds up.

Profile Quote
ccmsOrlilvr
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 14 Aug , 2005 10:14 pm
I didn't mean to hit the ditch

Personally, I don't think there's anymore to the Tonks storyline in HBP than we discovered. I fully believe that all her appearances were due to Order-related matters, aside from the time when she was outside the Room of Requirement, where I believe that she was indeed looking for Dumbledore. I buy her story completely.

But let us consider, for the sake of objectivity and covering all the bases, that Tonks wasn't exactly Tonks... that perhaps [she] was Draco in disguise. What purpose would it serve? How could it come into play in book 7?

And as a sort of fun aside note:

I go to Mugglenet nearly every day, and a few nights ago while browsing said site I ran across a nifty little invention that I found quite interesting (and entertaining :P). Maybe all of you already know about this and I'm just a little late catching the wave, but it seems that Scholastic has an online pronunciation guide for names, places, spells, etc. in the HP books. Naturally I pulled up the site and started clicking like mad, listening to the lovely animated voice say every word on the list. And much to my horror, I found out that I have been saying several words wrong since the very first time I read the books nearly a year ago [ img ], and I'm still getting used to the fact that some of the words aren't what I thought they were... it's just not the same now. :P Here's a link to the Pronunciation Guide, if anyone would care to take a look. Erm, I mean a listen. Whatever. :P

All (or most of) the ones I've been pronouncing wrong...

Accio
Anamagus/Animagi :Q
Beauxbatons :blackeye:
Bezoar
Dedalus Diggle
Firenze
Legilimency :suspicious:
Nigellus [as in Phineas Nigellus Black]
Rubeus :shock:
Seamus :doh1:
Veritaserum
Voldemort :roll: [with a damn silent "T" :rage:]

Yeah, it's a pretty long list. Sad, I know. :whistle::cool:

Well if you had run a little faster we wouldn't have been arrested.

Profile Quote
Tinsel_the_Elf
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 2:26 am
* trolley dodger *

ccmsOrlilvr wrote:
Personally, I don't think there's anymore to the Tonks storyline in HBP than we discovered. I fully believe that all her appearances were due to Order-related matters, aside from the time when she was outside the Room of Requirement, where I believe that she was indeed looking for Dumbledore. I buy her story completely.
I do too. I think the only mystery surrounding Tonks through most of the book had to do with JKR trying to throw a red herring to the audience and mislead us into thinking she was in love with Sirius.

Anything else just seems unnecessarily cruel to Lupin's character (I mean, what else can JKR do to the poor man? Drop a baby Grand piano on his head? ;) )

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 3:18 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Just finished Book 6. Hmmmmmmmm interesting :neutral:

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

I don't know why but the past two books have made me teary eyed. Especially Book 5, I cried like twice :( I can't wait for Harry to kick major ass in Book 7 LV's going down. To think I felt bad for Snape :rage:

I would read the rest of the thread but I just don't have the attention span right now :oops: . I was pleased with this book if not a little stunned by the outcome, didn't see that coming (and thankfully I didn't even hear if someone was dying). I hesitate to really say anything that might spoil it even though this is a dicussion thread, or maybe I just can't bear to say "it".

*Question* Has anyone heard the rumor that by the last couple of movies they are going to be rated R. I think a mandatory PG-13 is in store for this book and maybe Order, but wouldn't rating a HP movie R be bad for buisness? :scratch: Not that I wouldn't like to see Harry deliver the Sectumsempra spell to Malfoy in living color, grr.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
fras
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 9:36 am

i duno about the pronounciation guide, i saw it the other day, cause surely they say voldemort in the movies?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 9:55 am

JKR says 'Voldemorr'.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 11:41 am

Rowling leaves off the T, and in the first few audiobooks, that's how Voldemort is pronounced (obviously at her direction).

When the first movie came out, the T was pronounced, probably because that's how 99.9 percent of readers did it. Interestingly, in the later audiobooks -- which have the same narrator -- it is Voldemort, with a T.

I stumbled across that pronunciation guide after reading the first book but before hearing an audiobook or seeing a movie, and was appalled to discover that I had been mentally pronouncing "Hermione" wrong. I bet I'm not the only one, since Rowling made a point of having Hermione explain to Krum how to pronounce her name in Goblet of Fire.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 16 of 19  [ 376 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 114 15 16 17 18 19 »
Jump to: