The Last Homely Site on the Web

BINDING VOTE: Re-vote on an old issue: RESULTS FINAL

Post Reply   Page 13 of 17  [ 321 posts ]
Jump to page « 111 12 13 14 1517 »
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 21 Aug , 2005 10:11 pm
Living in hope

Hi, Alatar! :) And thanks. I'll add a vote to that total later today. I'm doing pestilential post-camping laundry at the moment.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 21 Aug , 2005 10:25 pm
Waiting for winter

Well, I can now honestly say that I’ve been SOC’d by the best of them.

Thanks Prim. And welcome back. We missed you!

And Hi! to you too Sass!

The current official vote count is now at 33. I say official because it is possible that some votes were sent to individual Rangers instead of the Administrator account (I have received two so far) and have not been added to the official count.

I might also point out that there are at least six people who posted in this thread during the discussion period who have not voted. I will not name names, but I assume they know who they are. Some of them may not have made up their mind yet.

I would also ask if might help to post the actual votes at some time (without names, of course)? This information is typically available to people when the vote is a poll - you can see the results of the poll as the votes are cast. I ask this because the vote is extremely close right now and could easily go either way. I also ask because the possibility still exists that the vote may be a tie, or may not yield an option with a 51% majority. Several of the voters only chose one option for question #1, and at least one of those votes will be discounted entirely because they chose an option that is being thrown after the first count. It may be that that person intended to only choose one option (that is allowable in Instant Runoff Voting), but it also could have been an honest mistake, that the person was not familiar with the voting technique.

So, what do you all think?

edit: I see Alatar beat me to it. :oops:

[ img ]

I am a child, I'll last a while.
You can't conceive
of the pleasure in my smile.

Profile Quote
Hunter
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 5:22 am
Lady of the Lake

~
Quote:
and at least one of those votes will be discounted entirely because they chose an option that is being thrown after the first count. It may be that that person intended to only choose one option (that is allowable in Instant Runoff Voting), but it also could have been an honest mistake, that the person was not familiar with the voting technique.
On reviewing the first page again, the vote cast in error may have been mine. Is it possible to amended my vote if it is? How does one find out if their ballot had an error? Would they be informed?

~

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 5:35 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Hunter, if you picked only one choice on the first question, instead of ranking all four choices, I'm sure it would be alright if the Rangers let you send in a new ballot with all four choices ranked.

They just have to make sure they don't count it as a separate vote.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Hunter
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 5:43 am
Lady of the Lake

~

Thanks Jnyusa. :)

I will sent in an amended ballot now. I wanted to do so right away, but wasn't sure if doing it would negate my vote completely.

~

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 1:38 pm
Waiting for winter

Jnyusa wrote:
Hunter, if you picked only one choice on the first question, instead of ranking all four choices, I'm sure it would be alright if the Rangers let you send in a new ballot with all four choices ranked.

They just have to make sure they don't count it as a separate vote.

Jn
Yes, an amended ballot is fine, and will be counted properly.

I think some clarification on my earlier statement may be in order. A ballot will not be thrown out for being incomplete. You are not required to rank each option in order for your vote to be counted. If, however, you choose an option that is eliminated after the first count, then your vote will not count for anything if you have given no other options. The number of votes counted in a second or third counting will also decrease in that case, meaning that even if we get quorum of 41 votes, we may only have 40 or 39 votes in the second or third count, and none of the options may get a 51% majority.

The count is still 33, btw.

[ img ]

You can't conceive

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 3:03 pm
Living in hope

It should be 34 now (I just PMed my vote to Administrator). I was still folding laundry at bedtime last night.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 5:28 pm
WYSIWYG

I voted too - hope I'm not too late. :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 6:20 pm
Insolent Pup

I would just like to point out that today is the LAST DAY for voting on this issue. GET OUT AND VOTE THOSE WHO HAVEN'T YET!

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Eltirwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 6:26 pm
Bored Silly

Voted. Hadn't had time to till now.

Searching for my sanity...

"A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - Strictly Ballroom

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 6:31 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I finally voted...that should make at least 37.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 6:46 pm
Insolent Pup

We still need more. Where is MTV's Rock the Vote when we need them!

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 6:50 pm

Maybe you could put that in the thread title TED...how many more votes are needed. Could help.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 6:50 pm
Living in hope

Could the end of the topic name be changed to VOTE TODAY! FINAL DAY! or something? That scared up some ballots in at least one previous vote.

What time today does the vote end? Midnight GMT?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 7:00 pm
Waiting for winter

From page ten:
Axordil wrote:
Ten days would be 1800 GMT on the 22nd. Give or take a smidge, I didn't look at my second hand. :D
1800 GMT = 6 PM GMT = 2:00 PM EST. The deadline has passed. There is not a quorum. The count is now at 37 votes. We need 4 more.

From page eleven:
Jnyusa wrote:
The Charter allows the vote to be extended for 7 days if the quorum is not met within the first ten days.

After that, if the quorum is still not met, then the results of the last vote on this issue still prevail. It gets locked and goes back to the Turf ... or wherever it was before.

Jn
We now need to decide if the vote will be extended for the full seven days, some increment of seven days, or until we get a quorum. Does the charter say anything about this?

[ img ]

You can't conceive

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 7:10 pm
Living in hope

Does the committee that approved the vote being held then decide whether the vote gets extended?

I'm a little concerned about the deision being made by people who potentially know how the vote is going. Not for this vote, but in principle, in the future—it could happen that a committee unhappy with how the vote is going could refuse to extend it if the quorum isn't met.

I know that in this case the vote is close, and I know the committee members would not pull a fast one in any case. But there may not be any way to prevent it happening in some future vote.

:scratch:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 7:19 pm

I wouldn't think it should matter how the vote was going. Only getting a quorum should matter. I would think that if a vote doesn't reach quorum that we would definately do what the constitution allows, which would be to extend the vote.

Is there a Loremaster who can come in and explain who makes this decision?

Oh yeah...timezones suck!

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 7:31 pm
Waiting for winter

No decision has been made to do anything. The ballots are time stamped when they are sent, so any received after the cutoff can be discarded.

That said, I would think the intent of the Charter would be that the extension would be automatic if the quorum is not reached. Of course, I didn’t write it, so I don’t know.

Eru’s right. A loremaster would help here.

[ img ]

You can't conceive

Profile Quote
fisssh
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 7:50 pm
White Sox sw00ner

The time of 6:00 pm GMT was buried pretty deep in the thread. I think people would have a reasonable expectation of being able to vote until the end of the day today - at least midnight GMT - based on what is said in the first post. I think you could extend the vote until midnight GMT without any need for special action.

We only wish! To catch a fish! So juicy sweeet!

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Aug , 2005 8:47 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Um ... here's what the Charter says. I made a mistake earlier in saying that the extra seven days applied to Binding votes. I'm truly sorry for getting hopes up.

Article 12, ¶2: Amendments to the Charter

"If the vote has not attained a quorum at the end of the voting period, voting may be extended for an additional seven days. If, at the end of the extension period, a quorum has still not been obtained the proposition will be considered defeated."

A corresponding paragraph does not appear in the article on Binding Votes. I believe that we extended the quorum in one and not the other because failing to pass an Charter amendment for lack of a quorum was a more serious issue than failing to pass a Binding Vote for the same reason. I'll have to go look at the thread to get exact quotes from the disucssion, but I recall us considering the absence of a quorum and saying that it should be interpreted as an indication that the membership did not feel the issue deserved a vote.

As far as the Charter is concerned, this vote has failed to reach a quorum and so the results of the last vote on the issue continue to hold. The thread in question should be locked and returned to wherever it came from.

IMPORTANT: Did anyone postpone their vote specifically because I said that the vote could be extended for an additional seven days? If so, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Jn

Rangers: someone should put in the title: Quorum Failed so that people can see it. Also, please put a link to this post at the top of the first post so that if anyone was counting on voting later this week they will see it. I doubt there are enough people who thought that to bring the vote to a quorum, but I would like to know if my misstatement caused anyone at all to not vote.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 13 of 17  [ 321 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 111 12 13 14 1517 »
Jump to: