board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

So why DO most religions have a problem with women?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 44 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Axordil
Post subject: So why DO most religions have a problem with women?
Posted: Thu 11 Aug , 2005 8:53 pm
Not so deep as a well

At least historically, this is pretty clearly the case, and in much of the world right now too. Why?

Theories I have heard:

1) Men are historically the ones who put religions together. They see things from their own male point of view and are going to discount anything female unconciously.

2) As 1, but with malice aforethought.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Aug , 2005 9:41 pm
A green apple painted red

I don't have the time to commit to a serious discussion, so I'll refrain from jumping in with strong opinions. But, here's an example for you. Draw your own conclusions.
Quote:
And the Eternal said to Moses, 'Go to the people and warn them to stay pure today and tomorrow. Let them wash their clothes.' Moses came down from the mountain to the people and warned the people to stay pure, and they washed their clothes. And he said to the people, 'Be ready for the third day: Do not go near a woman.'" (Exodus 19:10,14-15)
:Q Huh? When did the Lord say anything about not going near women? And, if you read what the Lords says, you would assume that "people" meant "men and women", wouldn't you? But Moses apparently assumes that "people" only means "men". Why?

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Teremia
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Aug , 2005 9:49 pm
Reads while walking

It's that oppression thing. Men tend to have the power. Religions are powerful institutions. So men tend to run 'em, rather the way they tend to run everything else. And institutions, religious and otherwise, tend to perpetuate the power structures they represent. Marx. Althusser. Women and the unwashed masses generally come in for the short end of the stick.

Why do men tend to have the power?

My guess is that on the average the average difference in average aggression between avg. men and avg. women -- plus the reproductive "disadvantage" -- makes the balance of power tip in the male direction. Even a slight tip could make for some huge institutional inequalities over time.

Women are just as smart, though. :) By the way.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Aug , 2005 10:40 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Has anyone here read "The Chalice and the Blade" by Riane Tennenhaus Eisler?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Aug , 2005 11:16 pm
Takoyaki is love

I always thought that Men had issues of women having a sort of reproductive power over them. A man could be tricked into raising a child that is not his while that is near impossible for that to happen to a woman. Considering for eons property and power was passed on from father to son, I can imagine it would be very important that men to know for sure that they were the father. That meant for a long time controling women since they are the ones who could trick you. At least I guess so.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
S_O
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Aug , 2005 11:51 pm
I love lamp!

I took a class in college that focused on feminist writing and I vaugely remember one author saying that all politics, religion, art, society as a whole and all its foundations were created by men to make up for the fact that they could not give birth. She went on to say that when women wanted to get in on the male creations, men became threated and tried to control the women out of fear of the female ability to "create"/give birth.

I just wish I could remember the author's name.

[ img ]
Thank you Isabel!! :hug: :love:

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 12:07 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Jude - Eisler, yes. I teach her theory. I also know her personally. Great stuff, imo. Weakly argued and controversial in a lot of places but it definitely explains some of the evidence much better than received theory can explain it.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 1:27 am
Try to stay perky

Pondering: Are there religions controlled by women? Historically speaking, I mean. I don't know of any contemporary religions in which the feminine is dominant (except possibly Wicca? Don't know enough about it though).

Jn, what, precisely, do you teach?

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
S_O
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 1:44 am
I love lamp!

Impenitent wrote:
Pondering: Are there religions controlled by women? Historically speaking, I mean. I don't know of any contemporary religions in which the feminine is dominant (except possibly Wicca? Don't know enough about it though).
From what I remember of my research into Wicca, depending on the tradition, the power is shared evenly by the Priest and Priestess. The Dianaic tradition is the only one I know of that is controlled by women (there may be more, but that's the only one I could think of off the top of my head).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 1:47 am
Not so deep as a well

S_O:

That's a fair description. Although even in most circles where the Priest and Priestess are equal, the Priest is usually at least ever so slightly deferential to the Priestess, in my experience.

It may have to do with the fact that many of them are married... ;)

Profile Quote
S_O
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 1:55 am
I love lamp!

The Priest just doesn't want to hear about it when he gets home. He's a wise man. ;) Could be why he's the Priest. :P

I always wanted to join a coven, but the closest I ever got was a sort of Pagan support group that met once a month. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 2:09 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Who knows if it was based on a real religion but in the book Mysts of Avalon Druids and the women at Avalon worshipped the Goddess. Also the High Priestess of Avalon was higher ranking than The Merlin. I would like to think Marion Bradley Zimmer based this on real history, but I have no way of knowing.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 4:00 am
Not so deep as a well

MZB based it on MZB's deepest wishes and desires. We really have blessed little to go on in terms of practices, except accounts from the Romans, who make all the Celtic and Germanic deities sound Roman, and from the Greeks, who make them all sound Greek. We have a lot of myths and legends from the Irish and Welsh, but they've been pretty romanticized, and not much is in there about practice anyway.

And of course we have anthropologist's guesses. See deepest wishes and desires, above. ;)

But it's pretty clear that whatever was around Europe in the preChristian era, it wasn't as patriarchal. The accounts of the Celts in particular tend to describe a more equal-opportunity society than the Romans were comfortable with. :D

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 11:34 am
The Man who Knows his Tools

*thinks back*

It might have something to do with distractions. Men are easily distracted by women, at least to the point where they would do something about it. To isolate men from women in a religious context would help keep men focused on their religion and duty to their power instead of letting them ponder how best to get their next groove on.

And, of course, I expect there is some power playing going on.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 12:17 pm
You are hearing me talk

Frelga wrote:
:Q Huh? When did the Lord say anything about not going near women? And, if you read what the Lords says, you would assume that "people" meant "men and women", wouldn't you? But Moses apparently assumes that "people" only means "men". Why?
You'd have to look at the original language to judge on that. I think "do not go near a woman" is code for "don't have sex". The idea that sex weakens a man is one of those things people seem to believe by instinct. Even to this day, you can find coaches who warn their players to stay away from the ladies the night before the big game.

As for the bigger question, I think you miss the big picture if you just focus on the issues with women. Religions almost always exist to maintain and reinforce the status quo and social hierarchy. In nearly all cultures, this has meant rich over poor, ruler over subjects, and men over women (etc). People are wired this way, and it takes effort to overcome it.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 2:12 pm
Not so deep as a well

Quote:
Religions almost always exist to maintain and reinforce the status quo and social hierarchy.
Although paradoxically some were originally revolutionary movements, in essence, such as Islam, and to some extent Christianity. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 2:20 pm
You are hearing me talk

Axordil wrote:
Although paradoxically some were originally revolutionary movements, in essence, such as Islam, and to some extent Christianity. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
Yup. Society worships yesterday's heretics and burns today's. Or something like that.

Profile Quote
Eltirwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 2:32 pm
Bored Silly

The problem with any revolution, if successful, is that it soon turns into that it rebelled against. Happens all the time, whether in religion, politics, or film ideology. Very few revolutions have been able to escape this, whether in whole or in part.

Historically, I can only think of a few religions that were equal or dominated by women, most of them primitive. One example would be the ancient "corn king" culture in the Mediterranean, where the king was sacrificed every year to ensure the crops' growth. Most were wiped out by the Greeks and Romans.

It is a fact that the more warlike a culture tends to be, the more male-dominated it tends to be. Most societies simply would not risk the ones who bore children, but males were more expendable. After all, it only takes one male to get many females pregnant, but without females you're screwed.

Searching for my sanity...

"A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - Strictly Ballroom

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 2:43 pm
Not so deep as a well

Quote:
but without females you're screwed.
Oh my, there are so many places one could go here...must stay on topic...must stay on topic...Barry Bonds, 71, Mark McGuire, 70, Sammy Sosa, 68...

Profile Quote
Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Aug , 2005 2:49 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

Dave_LF wrote:
The idea that sex weakens a man is one of those things people seem to believe by instinct. Even to this day, you can find coaches who warn their players to stay away from the ladies the night before the big game.
It does make one more laid back...

Or, at least, it did for me back when I was getting some.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 44 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Jump to: