:( :( :(

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 23 Aug , 2005 4:01 pm
Triathlete

:(

Last edited by laureanna on Sat 27 Aug , 2005 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Quote
Tinsel_the_Elf
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 23 Aug , 2005 4:06 pm
* trolley dodger *

******IMPORTANT EDIT 1/21/06********
In late 2005 I learned that Mike/aka. Lucy is still alive. The person who emailed me in August telling me that Lucy had died was, in fact, Lucy himself. For my part, I would not wish him "dead" again for all the world, but I appreciate that this news may meet with a wide range of emotions. For the time being, I am going to leave all my posts exactly as they were, but with this important disclaimer and update.

Hi Ax,

I emailed his friend yesterday afternoon, but have not yet received a response. I know Mike's last name and the city in which he was living, and know that he was being treated at a hospice there. I'm going to research what I can but if anyone knows a better way of finding out what we can about funeary arrangments, let me know.

Some of Lucy's finest phrases can be read in these TORC threads :) , which Jnyusa graciously found and bumped:

The "Memento" Thread

"Why are you saying this?" (some of his most thoughtful posts on TORC are in this thread)

Going to Osgiliath: 2004 Edition

Welcome Back! Talented Men of Middle Earth !!!

I didn't want to share this earlier, but I've since thought better of it. The following is from the email I received from Mike's friend:

The letter he left me is personal but I want to share the quote he put at the end.

[Name Removed for Privacy]

"Most of the big shore places were closed now and there were hardly any lights except the shadowy, moving glow of a ferryboat across the Sound. And as the moon rose higher the inessential houses began to melt away until gradually I became aware of the old island here that flowered once for Dutch sailors' eyes-a fresh, green breast of the new world. Its vanished trees, the trees that had made way for Gatsby's house, had once pandered in whispers to the last and greatest of all human dreams; for a transitory enchanted moment man must have held his breath in the presence of this continent, compelled into an æsthetic contemplation he neither understood nor desired, face to face for the last time in history with something commensurate to his capacity for wonder.

And as I sat there, brooding on the old unknown world, I thought of Gatsby's wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy's dock. He had come a long way to this blue lawn and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in that vast obscurity beyond the city, where the dark fields of the republic rolled on under the night.

Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter-tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . . . And one fine morning--

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

Mike forgive me, but I wanted to offer my own counter-quote that has given me a measure of peace over the past few hours. About a boat that is not continually beaten back, but sails forward in perpetual light (Ara-anna already mentioned it):

Then Frodo kissed Merry and Pippin, and last of all, Sam, and went aboard; and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew, and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth; and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore glimmered and was lost. And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water, and then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Godspeed, Mikey.

Last edited by Tinsel_the_Elf on Sun 22 Jan , 2006 2:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 23 Aug , 2005 5:05 pm

I'm saddened to hear of this death. He was one of a kind.

Rest in peace.

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
Rowanberry
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 23 Aug , 2005 5:09 pm
Can never be buggered at all

:( :( :(

I didn't know him, but remember him from the MoME thread.

People, you and me, are not trusted. The right doesn't like us because we don't do what we're told by our betters, and the left doesn't like us because it secretly thinks we would be on the right given half a chance and a lottery win. And both think we should not make our own decisions, because we might make the wrong ones. ~ Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Teremia
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 23 Aug , 2005 6:11 pm
Reads while walking

I am in tears --

he was one of the most wildly brilliant posters ever

I knew how hard life was for him

we exchanged some emails, not many

I have often remembered him at the oddest of random times and wished him well

may he rest in the light

Teremia

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 23 Aug , 2005 8:50 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

:bawl:

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 23 Aug , 2005 11:59 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

This is indeed a shame.
TDL was part of what made m00bies, m00bies.
Rest in peace.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2005 12:50 am
Milk and kisses

What sad news. TDL did contribute indeed to make M00bies what it was. We exchanged a couple of emails and he was nice and upbeat, even when he was already quite ill.

Things like this bring reality back into our safe, secluded online world with a punch and a kick in the guts. :(

Descansa en paz, Mike.

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2005 1:04 am
through the looking glass

Sad news indeed. It is a pleasure to read his posts. I wish I had known him.

Peace.

Profile Quote
Tinsel_the_Elf
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2005 2:56 am
* trolley dodger *

******IMPORTANT EDIT 1/21/06********
In late 2005 I learned that Mike/aka. Lucy is still alive. The person who emailed me in August telling me that Lucy had died was, in fact, Lucy himself. For my part, I would not wish him "dead" again for all the world, but I appreciate that this news may meet with a wide range of emotions. For the time being, I am going to leave all my posts exactly as they were, but with this disclaimer and update.

Tinsel_the_Elf wrote:
Jnyusa wrote:
Tinsel,

Do you know if Mike had family in the CA area?

Jn
I don't believe so. He was living in CA, but he was originally from Cincinatti and I believe that any remaining immediate family members are probably there. I emailed his friend who informed me and asked for any information about a service, etc. -- I'll let you know if I receive a response.
I've been re-reading my old emails from Mike, and I realize that I was in error here -- it was Cleveland where he grew up, not Cincinatti. Sorry about the misinformation.

I am still hoping for word about a service or funerary arrangements.

Last edited by Tinsel_the_Elf on Sun 22 Jan , 2006 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2005 3:09 am

I never knew him but it's a sad thing to have happened...it sounds like he has left a mark on many people- a good mark. May he rest in peace.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2005 5:30 am
You are hearing me talk

Didn't he post in Manwe for a while under a different name?

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2005 6:04 am

Not many people know this, but it was discussions that I had with Lucy soon after his banning from TORC that stimulated me to start the "I Love the mOObie Forum ..." He loved the fun we had, and had much to offer to the serious discussions as well, but he loathed the elitism and cliquishness that often permeated that forum. Mike and I had our ups and downs, and I regret to say that I was unable to be a part of his support system for most of the last year of his life, but I still am very grateful for his friendship, and for the lessons that he taught me. I would like my post beginning that thread to stand as my eulogy to my friend:
Quote:
I have been particularly pleased and impressed with the quality of debate here in recent weeks. There have been a number of threads recently that have really gone deep into exploring the themes of the book and movies and the relationship between them. Particular kudus to Roac, Cerin, Akallabeth, Magpie, Queen B, Wilko and Jn (among others) who have really stimulated my thought processes about the works of both Tolkien and PJ and Company and how they relate to each other. Meanwhile, we also have MOME II, which in many ways represents the ultimate in mOObies zaniness.

However, there also continues to be an elitist undercurrent in this forum. I'm not pointing any fingers, because I am guilty of it too. Not everyone has the same sense of humor, or the same likes and dislikes, or even the same opinion about what is valuable or not. I would encourage people (including myself) to be as welcoming to newcomers as possible, to gently assist them if they clearly are going astray, rather than mocking them, and to simply ignore jokes that don't seem funny rather than publicly scorning the joketeller, particularly if she or he is a newcomer. I would also encourage people not to answer scorn with scorn. A TRUE gentleperson acts like a gentleperson not only to other gentlepersons, but to everyone.

This is a very special place. Let's all strive to keep it that way.
Godspeed, Lucy. You will not be forgotten.

Profile Quote
Ethel
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2005 6:33 am
The Pirate's Daughter

I am so sorry to hear this. He was gifted and brilliant.

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2005 7:29 am
Triathlete

Last edited by laureanna on Sat 27 Aug , 2005 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2005 2:03 pm

Quote:
I think he had another persona, but I'm not sure what it was.
Noob_You_Slowcoach, or something very similar to that.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2005 3:43 pm
Best friends forever

I never knew TheDaimonLucifer, but I wish I had. He must have been someone very special to create such love and friendship.

:hug: to all his friends.

Profile Quote
tolkienpurist
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2005 4:08 pm
Unlabeled

My only contact with TDL was after I had received some pretty harsh and somewhat personal words of disagreement from certain well-known m00bie posters (who are not on this board). He, I guess, got my email from TORC and emailed me with some reassuring words of context and explanation.

I wish I had gotten to know him better, and I am sorry for the loss to those who knew him and for the pain he must have experienced before he died. May he rest in peace.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Aug , 2005 4:58 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

TDL had a number of alter-egos that he used to re-enter the board after his banning. ;)

I really enjoyed the posts of Strelnikov in M00bies without ever knowing that it was TDL until he told me himself by email.

Jn

p.s. Hi, Ethel! :wave: Ah - you're back from vacation. I'll stop by your site later this week.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 5  [ 96 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: