board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Xmas card.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Breogán
Post subject: Xmas card.
Posted: Thu 23 Dec , 2004 2:35 am

I've made and sent some of you Elven :wink: Xmas. e-card, 'cause given the date, there's no way "hard-copies" can make it on time.
My only problems is that I am not sure of a few email addresses, although I've tried my luck :wink:

Alandriel, Leoba, Eruname, True Hobbit... could you please confirm your email addresses? :D

Get him bathed and send him to my tent!...
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Dec , 2004 4:59 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Your card got to me. :) It was so nice! Truly unique and wonderful. :mrgreen: Hannon le mellon nîn. (Hope that's right!)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Dec , 2004 9:13 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

With pleasure :mrgreen: alandriel_e-torc@yahoo.co.uk

some things, email addys, won't change :wink:

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Dec , 2004 9:27 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

So being on your IM list and having my email address listed here in my profile wasn't a give away then. :P

leobavorima at yahoo dot co dot uk

:mrgreen:

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Dec , 2004 9:55 am

Glassen, Eru! :D
Thanks Alandriel. :D

Leoba, I dont know what kinda information you get when you check profiles, but I can tell you I don´t get any email address. Clicking on th email button a new page opens , where you can write and send your email, but the address is nowhere to be seen. Just your Nick, Subject and text.
On YM, yes, I do have your yahoo-ID, but not your "at...dot...". Anyway, I guess what it could be and apparently I got it right. :wink: But cheers! :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Dec , 2004 6:12 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Bre :mrgreen: That's one lovely card ... but for us lesser mortals without traces of elvish blood ... what does it say? :help:

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Dec , 2004 11:14 pm

Alandriel

Exactly what it says on the email :D
Happy Christmas & May the stars shine on your faces in the New Year!(No garel Vereth Rhîw Veren a no in elenath hílar nan thîr lîn nedin idhrinn hain)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Aglanor
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Dec , 2004 8:26 am
Morituri Nolumus Mori

I loved it! Thanks a lot!! :mrgreen:

"The moon reflects in her eyes,
And tears fall down like stars.
Her gentle kiss goodnight;
Her dagger stuck in my heart.
My love broken and betrayed
And my eyes are closed tight,
As death now does us part."

A Rune engraved on my heart...

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Dec , 2004 9:23 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

You telling me there is such a thing as Christmas in elvish? :scratch
Or perhaps I should better ask... how did you construe it?
:halo:

It's a really gorgeous card though - I'm such a sucker for elegant script :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Dec , 2004 9:53 am

:D

Alandriel,
No there is not such a thing as "Christmas" in Sindarin, although Tolkien coined the term in Quenya. It is technically possible to create the form in Sindarin, but IMO, it is quite the anachronism.
It literally means:
May you have a Merry Winter Festivity and May the Stars shine on your faces in the New Year.

Thanks Aglanor! :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Dec , 2004 10:11 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

ahhhhhhhhhhh ... heheehe... thought so :wink:
Nice and 'neutral' that 'Winter Festivities'. Somhow I would have thought to see something like 'sun-return' creeping in there... but that's just me and my twisted thinking. But maybe, since you're such an expert and I'm such an ignorant, you can illuminate us as to 'festivities' of the elves in general.
I know I could probably drag that info up from somewhere.... but I'm lazy and I'd rather ask you :mrgreen:

Did Tolkien's elves have specific festivities and if so, do you have an idea of what they were like?

sits back comfortably and waits for a very illuminating dissertation

:mrgreen:

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Dec , 2004 12:38 pm

Alandriel,

"Sun-return", "Sun-awakening" would have been a possibility, the problem is that Yule does not apply to every single culture. IMO "Winter festivity" applies to more cultures, both real and Middle-Earth ones - although, funny enough since the card is supposed to be elven, Elves themselves did not celebrate Yule (or any Winter festivity).

Tolkien did not elaborate much on Elven festivities/festivals, although he was clear about the Eldar not celebrating Yule, or any Winter festival, the Yule-tide being a Shire celebration.
The Company leaves Imladris on Dec. 25th, Yule, and there is no mention of festivity of any kind, but we have references to some kind of mid-winter celebrations both in Arnor and Gondor, which seem to have been slightly different.
The Elves were likely to celebrate Metarë and Yestarë, the Last and First Day of the Elven Year, our Apr. 6th & 7th, but AFAIK, this is not attested.
Based on canon work, IIRC, we only have a couple of references to elven festivals:
A harvest festival (this was, originally, a festival to conmemorate the Coming of the Eldar to Valinor, but Tolkien changed his mind) was held in Valinor. The Valar would clad themselves in raiments in the form of the Children of Ilúvatar, and together with the Eldar would drink and eat, and gather the fruits of the Earth. And upon the Taniquetil an offering to Eru would be made, and there would be song and dance and joy.

The Gates of Summer was a festival held in Gondolin, apparently also linked to the rippening of fruits or harvest. The Gondolindrim would await for the rising of the sun and sing songs, and afterwards, there would be a great feast, and more song and dance.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Dec , 2004 9:31 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Ahhh - the pleasure of getting 'educated' .... Thanks a lot for that Bre :hug:
... you know... with all the knowledge of elves and their cultures - me thinks I'll send and email your way some time soon ... after all you did mention being interested in RP :halo:

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Dec , 2004 12:57 pm
WYSIWYG

Oh - I wasn't here over Christmas and now I missed your card, Breogán! :(

Could you please still send it even though Christmas is over?

My e-mail is: truehobbit-Monika@web.de

or: truehobbit@web.de (shiny new mail address with only my TORC ID so I can publish it on TORC :D )

Thanks for thinking of me! :)

I have an old e-mail addy of you: breogan ad o2.ie - is that still correct?

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Dec , 2004 1:57 pm

No problem, Monika.
I shall update my addressbook and add your new one.
Regarding my O2 address.... no, it's not use since I closed my mobile account with O2 Ireland. I use house_of_feanor@yahoo.com although soon my new email address at my own domain will be ready. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Dec , 2004 4:07 pm
Milk and kisses

I got it too! w00t! :D (late, too, since I´m basically offline save for occasional trips to the cybercafe)
Thanks, Bré! :mrgreen:

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Dec , 2004 5:02 pm
WYSIWYG

I got it! :D
Thanks so much for sending it again, Breogán - wow, it's beautiful! :) (((((((hug)))))))

And now that I've seen it, I have a confession to make - I realise now that I had received it right on time to my yahoo account, but because the sender only was a mysterious "A" and there was an attachment, I thought it probably was a virus-mail and deleted it. :oops: :oops: :(
I'm so sorry, I had indeed thought of asking around first if anyone used "A" as their sender-ID, but thought no one here would have my yahoo addy.

Thanks for all the info on Elvish festivals, that was fascinating! :)
Who is the figure with the sword?

And thanks too for the info on your new addy! Wow, you're getting your own domain? Will you show your artwork there?

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 31 Dec , 2004 2:17 am

Monika

You're welcome. :D
And don't worry about having deleted the first one I sent, that could have happened to anybody. :wink:

Not sure about the figure with the sword. It was one of the discarded designs by Alan Lee for Rivendell statues, so I adapted it to the idea I had in mind for the card. So, although I adapted and made it myself, I cannot claim the all the glory :wink:

I already have my own domain, but right now I'm trying to finish the initial phase so I can upload it with, at least, some content instead of a big "Under Construction" sign. Hopefully it is only a matter of days.
Yes, my "artwork" (I don´t think my sketches and silly things deserve to be called that, makes them sound better than they really are) will be there. :D And loads of information of languages, history, poetry, etc... even RP and fanfiction. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 31 Dec , 2004 3:31 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Oh, was that who the 'A' email was from.:shock: I thought it looked dodgy and deleted it without opening as well.. and then of course wondered what Breogan was on about, since I never recieved a card. :oops:

Is there any chance you might consider sending it again? :oops::oops:

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 02 Jan , 2005 9:26 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

I forward you mine :wink: :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: