board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Ignorant Journalists

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 20 posts ]
Leoba
Post subject: Ignorant Journalists
Posted: Wed 05 Jan , 2005 12:50 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

I'm having a very easily irritated week and if one more ill-educated idiot tries to communicate with me by mumbling into the phone as they miss out half the consonants in their words I will probably snap and tell them to take some elocution lessons.

But that's not really what I'm ranting about here. I just read this charming article on the BBC, which details how the area around Sarehole and Moesley has been renamed 'The Shire Country Park'. Why then did the Beeb employ someone who has patently never read Tolkien to write their article. I've highlighted the most offensive bits. :rage:

Quote:

Nature reserve remembers Baggins

A Birmingham nature reserve that provided JRR Tolkien with much of the inspiration for his classic fantasy novels is to be renamed in his honour.
The city's Millstream Project will now be called The Shire Country Park.

The park links a four-mile, wooded walk along the River Cole and the Chinn Brook. It includes Moseley Bog, one of Tolkien's favourite childhood haunts.

In his books, The Shires are the Middle Earth home of Bilbo Baggins and his fellow hobbits.

The name change results from consultations between environmental groups that look after the nature reserve, the Tolkien Society and members of Birmingham City Council.

John Alden, the local authority's cabinet member for leisure, sport and culture, said: "It is appropriate that Birmingham should recognise JRR Tolkien and his writing in this way.

"Internationally acclaimed as a writer, he is an important part of the city's cultural heritage.

Bronze Age

"The Shire Country Park will help raise the awareness of Tolkien's close ties with the city and attract visitors from far and wide, keen to discover the places that were such an important influence on the writer."

Tolkien, who was born in South Africa on January 3, 1892 but moved to Birmingham at the age of three, is credited with using actual places for fictional locations in his books.

Moseley Bog, which dates back to the Bronze Age, is thought to have inspired the "Old Forest" in the Lord of the Rings, the last of the primeval woods in which Tom Bombardil lived.

Sarehole Mill, near the former family home on Wake Green Road and now a museum, is viewed as being the "great mill" of The Shires.

The 96ft-high Perrot's Folly and the nearby Waterworks Tower, in Edgbaston, are also seen by many as the real-life counterparts of the Twin Towers of Gondor.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 147809.stm

Published: 2005/01/05 08:16:19 GMT

© BBC MMV

This is 'just' literature, so I suppose only geeks like me (or you) get annoyed, but I've lost count of the number of times the press gets the simplest political things wrong. And the public get all on their high horses, because they've been spoon-fed crap and think it's true. :roll:

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jan , 2005 1:36 pm
Tricksy Elf!

LOL, they changed The Shires, but not the other bits. Must have recieved complaints.

and calm down babe, thinbk of the Dolphins...or the Delphinians as the BBC would have us read :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jan , 2005 1:52 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

I just went back in and they've now changed 'Twin Towers' and 'Bombardil' as well. I can breathe easier.

Though I still take umbrage at the assertion that it is the 'Two Towers of Gondor' that Tolkien referred to in his title. For me, it was always a reference to Minas Tirith and Minas Ithil/Morgul (the latter most certainly not being a 'tower of Gondor' by the close of the third age). Or possibly Minas Tirith versus Barad-dur. Was it ever specified by the Professor himself? I certainly never came across Orthanc being an option until late 2002.

Last edited by Leoba on Wed 05 Jan , 2005 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jan , 2005 1:59 pm
Tricksy Elf!

I always thought it was Orthanc and Barad Dur as Minas Tirith has only a couple of mentions in TTT. Or possibly Cirith Ungol is in there someplace.

Confusing :Q

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jan , 2005 2:43 pm
Milk and kisses

I have my own personal war with the BBC website... I remember emailing them once to correct someone who had written about "the island of Gibraltar". :roll:

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jan , 2005 5:03 pm
The Red Fox

Well I thought that the "Two Towers" were the Tower of the Sun (Guard in TTA) and the Tower of the Moon. Or Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul respectively. However looking at the towers in my mind's eye, the water tower is a oblongular square Victorian monstrosity, which made me think of Barad Dur, while Perrot's Folly being a round, thin, tower made me think of Orthanc. :mrgreen:

The answer to your question Leoba, I believe lies in "Letters", though I'd rather not be trolling through that today.

Funny you should mention Gibraltar, Ber; I thought it was an island also until I came to study the War of the Spanish Succession. *Rolls eyes*

I read about the renaming of the park in my local newspaper, and I didn't notice any glaring discrepancies. Darn I'll have to go back and look. Having done the Brum Tolkien trail twice now, I'm glad the stupid Brummies are belatedly getting on the Tolkien bandwagon. I wonder if I still have the Tolkien Trail leaflet somewhere...

As for not researching their topics properly, that's just a damned bad show of sloppy, unprofessionalism on the drunken hack's part. I certainly take a large pinch of salt when reading the paper's these days.

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jan , 2005 5:50 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

The middle volume contained so many varied lines of action that Tolkien seems to have found some trouble naming it.

I am not at all happy about the title 'the Two Towers'. It must if there is any real reference in it to Vol II refer to Orthanc and the Tower of Cirith Ungol. But since there is so much made of the basic opposition of the Dark Tower and Minas Tirith, that seems very misleading.
The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien No 143, 1954

Tolkien also considered at least five other combinations of the towers of Barad-dûr, Cirith Ungol, Minas Morgul, Minas Tirith and Orthanc, and it seems that he never settled on a definitive identity for them. The one PJ used - Orthanc and Barad-dûr, was one of them.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jan , 2005 6:31 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Gibralter is not an Island :oops:

I always get confused with our offland territories. Is it in France then?

five......four....three......two.......eeep!

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jan , 2005 7:16 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

Take deep breaths Leoba dear and slooooooooowly exhale. It's not their fault, really it is not ;) .....okay so it is but they an't help it.

and i always thought it was Orthanc and Barad-Dur. :neutral:

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jan , 2005 7:36 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

You emailed them and got them to change it didn't you Leoba? ;)

I always thought it was Orthanc and Barad-dur as well...they really were the two central towers of that book. At least it's a common misconception and I don't feel too dumb!

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
eärendil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jan , 2005 10:58 pm
citoyenne du monde

Leoba, it's the same everywhere, when you know a subject you realise how much crap those idiot write.

I remember my dad getting mad at the TV guy cause he was saying crap and more crap about health policy in France and explaining it wrongly :roll:. They don't know what they are talking/writing about but do it none the less...

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Rholarowyn
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 09 Jan , 2005 6:55 pm

So it's not just American journalists who get it wrong. Why does this give me an odd sense of relief? :scratch

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 09 Jan , 2005 8:55 pm
WYSIWYG

TheLidlessEyes wrote:
The middle volume contained so many varied lines of action that Tolkien seems to have found some trouble naming it.

I am not at all happy about the title 'the Two Towers'. It must if there is any real reference in it to Vol II refer to Orthanc and the Tower of Cirith Ungol. But since there is so much made of the basic opposition of the Dark Tower and Minas Tirith, that seems very misleading.
The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien No 143, 1954

Tolkien also considered at least five other combinations of the towers of Barad-dûr, Cirith Ungol, Minas Morgul, Minas Tirith and Orthanc, and it seems that he never settled on a definitive identity for them. The one PJ used - Orthanc and Barad-dûr, was one of them.
Who are you and what have you done with lidless?

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 09 Jan , 2005 11:44 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I don't know why Rho, but I kind of feel the same way. :P

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Snowdog
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 8:17 pm

Rholarowyn wrote:
So it's not just American journalists who get it wrong. Why does this give me an odd sense of relief? :scratch
Its a journalism thing. They got it right in the last Harry Potter film. They hear what the want in the interview....

"C'mon boy, we gots some Piratin' to do!"

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 8:25 pm
Fading Softly

We avoid any form of journalism related to medicine or literature in my house. Someone's sure to burst a blood vessel.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 8:43 pm
Daydream Believer

The Shires

Thats where Shireslings are from. Also know as hafling. And Aragon is the King of Gondor. And Elron has another brother named Bubba. And Arwen is played by Jessica Simpson.

And Christopher Tolkien probably got mad.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
eborr
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 11:04 pm

of course Gibralter is an Island, it's an Island of Englsihness in the midst of all those foriegners after Sir Bufton Tufton MP

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Jan , 2006 12:34 am

I know what you mean. That fool Mike Savage was on the radio the other day complaining about Chinese restaurants, and long story short, he eventually comes to say, "What? The gaijin doesn't know the difference?"

Gaijin is a Japanese word. Not Chinese. 外人 <-- The kanji literally translate to "outside person" or "outsider."

See? Stupid crap like that really makes me angry. The Chinese probably use the same kanji for the same word, but it would most certainly be pronounced differently in Chinese. Gaijin is the Japanese word\pronunciation.

Anyway. Continue please.

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Jan , 2006 7:38 am

Journalists + Tolkien = hopeless. :roll:

My local paper did a thing like this about a year ago. I wrote them a long, angry letter explaining a thing or five - and they actually printed it! :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 20 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: